Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-13-2010, 04:07 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 80% of my photos being removed..had enough!

Hi, I joined splitcoast several weeks ago, and have spent hours upon hours uploading photos over the last few weeks, following exactly all the guidlines and advice offered. 80% of them still get removed. The ones that have stayed I never followed the guidlines and they are still there.
There must be an automated process doing this. But having re-uploaded dozens of times, changing the file names etc ect they are still being removed. As a website designer myself, the photo upload process,editing and keeping them there, is not difficult, but on splitcoasters its uneccessarily complicated.
I have now decided I have had enough. There are hundreds of other sites to choose from for uploading photos for public veiwing...thats where I am going.
I will still read the forums on splitcoast but forget about uploading photos, I have better things to do with my time, like making more cards lol.
Sorry but there you go.
Jan
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2010, 04:19 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jan, I'm so sorry for the truly unneccessary hassles you had while uploading! May I ask which name you were changing before uploading? I'm answering from my phone, so I've not visited your gallery to look at your uploads...

The reason I ask is that our system is, as you suspect, automated. It looks for the same file names and removes the most recently uploaded files if they match something else you've uploaded. It's not smart enough to look at the cards and know that maybe one is blue with daisies and that another is purple with clowns! So, if you're uploading images right from your scanner or camera, chances are, there will be duplicate file names and deletions *unless you rename the files on your computer before you upload*.

I hope that explains more and that you'll give us another chance. The gallery and upload process need work for sure, but they're not so bad when you know the little (annoying!) quirks!

Last edited by jbalcer; 02-13-2010 at 04:21 AM.. Reason: Typos
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2010, 04:48 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to philsmom
Default me too sort of

I also spent lots of time uploading photos of my stamps so people who want to swap, know what I own. My pix were deleted because it assumed I was uploading items for sale. This was not true! I was very disappointed because I am not techno-savvy and was doing my best to join the swaps. I didn't appreciate the accusation or the time wasted. Here was the msg I received:

By now you've received our automated email explaining that your upload(s) were deleted. I thought I'd explain why.

Products that you have for sale, whether new or used, are not allowed to be listed for sale in the gallery. We have a fantastic forum area where you may list your for sale or trade items. Please attach your photos there and list your items in that area.

Thanks so much for your understanding and please let me know if you have any questions.

Joyclynn

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2010, 05:36 AM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Jbalcer,
Thanks for your fast response. All my photos have different names. Funnily enough though, some of them do have almost identical names and yet these have not been removed which I expected them to be. I deliberately rename specifically to upload. Surely there are more people with similar photo names than there are people who do 'double' uploads?
The names I was changing them too was nothing odd, no strange characters. I've just had a thought....is it because they are the same name I used to upload them into my Album as I did for uploading them into members gallery? If this is the reason, that does not explain why the others have not been removed.
Could you also tell me why the comments get removed? Living in a different time zone means I see them, then when I go back, they are gone.
Thanks
Jan

Joycelyn,
perhaps yours were removed because they were the same file (photo) names in both the swap and the Galleries, or maybe one cannot add swap items to the galleries? I'd try changing their names for each...your computer will soon be filled with duplicate images with different names lol. Ok, so that may work, but it makes it time consuming and harder work for un-techo-savvy people. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2010, 08:00 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi, Jan,
Our computers look at what's in your directory, not at everyone's uploads. If you've used the same name before (like when uploading to an album vs. your general gallery), it removes the most recent upload in the automated scan for duplicates.

If an upload is removed, everything associated with that upload is removed. Comments are tied to uploads, so they'd go along with the duplicate upload.

As far as the uploads that have been removed that are kind of unexplainable, would you like to send me one via email? I'll see what I can figure out! I can be emailed at [email protected].
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2010, 08:05 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Fran,
As Joyclynn said, we don't allow product images in the gallery. She may have thought that you were uploading to share what you had available for sale when she sent the note to you.

There are some exceptions to our guidelines. We'll allow product images if they're for something that's been arranged previously, like the non-raffles we've done to raise money for the Red Cross. We'll also allow them if they're part of a group event, like Divine Secret Siblings. They'll often upload their mail from their Secret Sibling to share in the gallery.

If you'd like to share the stamp images that you have available, try attaching the images to your forum post. If you need assistance with that, let me know and I'll be happy to help!
Reply With Quote Likes