Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread
Old 01-18-2011, 07:02 PM   #1  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Missing theads?

Please don't move this to the Site Suggestions area because
1. Most people don't look at that area unless they're actually having some sort of problem and are looking for a solution, and
2. This concerns a thread that was started by a demo in the open to everyone General Stamping area and if anyone like me was looking for that thread, they'd look in the General Stamping area first.

My question is why are there so many threads that are simply disappearing? This has been a problem before and I was told that the place holder for the moved thread had simply expired. Ummm, no, that's that the case here unless the place holder expired within a few hours of the last posting to that thread.

Used to, if there was an issure with a thread, mods would either lock the thread or they'd go into the thread and delete the questionable comments and there would be a little "edited by moderator" and why comments added to the thread, but the thread would be visible to everyone.

Anymore, if there seems to be some questionable items within the thread, the thread simply disappears. There was a thread in the General Stamping area started by a Stampin Up demo asking why some who had thought about signing up weren't and wanted to know why. Several people very respectfully stated why, including some current demos, some past demos (like myself) and some who had thought about it but never signed up.

Now, unless I'm missing something someplace, that thread went "poof" and simply disappeared. I've searched all over for it, I've checked my subscriptions (since I posted to that thread) and it's no where that I can find. No "Moved thread" marker, simply gone. Funny how those types of threads always seem to involve SU.

Has anyone else experienced threads that they've posted to and posted to recently just vanishing? I don't mind threads being locked, although I question the reasons many times. I don't mind threads being moved if posted in obviously wrong area. I do have a problem with the way threads are now simply disappearing instead of being edited or locked by mods. The simple deletion of threads is like Big Brother trying to re-write history which is troublesome on a mostly friendly crafting site (obviously I stay out of Current Events which can become quite heated).

Anyone else missing threads they posted to?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that thread most likely disappeared because it was posted by an SU demo and the mods (or whomever) may have perceived it as being advertising even though it wasn't IMO ...
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Sorry - we do move threads to the correct forum for the topic so I did move this since your question is about the site and not stamping.

If you visit our site posting rules you will see that threads may be removed for a variety of reasons - they are promotional in nature, they violate our rules such as multiple BST listings, sales with no prices, etc.

Site posting rules are located in the footer of the site and cover most, but not all situations we encounter. Our moderators are listed at the bottom of each forum if you have questions!
Gabfest Goddess

But in the past, there was always a reason stated as to why a thread was either locked, edited, or moved. Like with this thread, it simply went from one area where I posted it to the Site Suggestions area. There was no "moved" marker on the General Stamping area where I posted it. It was moved less than 10 minutes after posting, but no "moved" marker or anything. The thread I mentioned simply was erased from SCS history like it had never been started and all the non-demos who posted to that thread had never posted. There was no "this thread has been edited because it was advertising a demonstrator's website" or "this thread has been edited because it went against TOS". It simply disappeared not only from the forums area, but also from the My Subscriptions area if you happened to have posted to it.

If there is something questionable in a thread, like I've said previously, the thread was simply locked or edited, not usually completely removed. A thread being completely removed with no indication as to the reason, or a thread being locked without a reason makes this site very questionable as to who's actually running the site. Is it a site open to all crafters, especially stampers since that's how it started, or is a special interest group now in control and will delete anything they personally don't care for or goes against the group they happen to represent?

Like this thead, it's still here on the site (at least for now) but was moved almost instantaneously to an area very few people visit unless they're having an issue and both people (at this point) who posted to it have the same type of ties to a particular company. Calls into question just how decisions on this site are made.

Last edited by geogymnast82; 01-18-2011 at 07:30 PM..
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by geogymnast82View Post
Is it a site open to all crafters, especially stampers since that's how it started, or is a special interest group now in control and will delete anything they personally don't care for or goes against the group they happen to represent?
Good morning!

If what they personally don't care for is a that it's a violation of site posting rules, then yes

I do understand that everyone whose items are removed or closed, etc. feels that that is unfair, and I'm so sorry about that. That's why we have extensive rules that cover what our mods will remove, edit, etc.

If there's doubt, we will always err on the side of protecting our community and our advertisers from offensive, promotional or spammy messages.

Quote:

If there is something questionable in a thread, like I've said previously, the thread was simply locked or edited, not usually completely removed.
Good point - depends on what the message in question is - we have tens of thousands of both closed for comment and moderated / no longer visible threads - mods make the decision based on the content of the message, and do both frequently

Quote:

Like this thead, it's still here on the site (at least for now) but was moved almost instantaneously to an area very few people visit unless they're having an issue
It was actually moved to the area the topic belongs in - the site can be very overwhelming for new users, and our goal is to keep the forums organized. If you see something in an area it shouldn't be in, just use the report button to report it and a moderator will reassign it to the proper forum.

As for almost instantaneously - that's a good sign That means we are responsive.

Again, I do understand that these decisions can feel like personal slights, and that is why we express as clearly as possible what our rules are in the footer of the site.

Last edited by UnderstandBlue; 01-19-2011 at 02:07 AM.. Reason: typo
Hardware Hotshot

Thank you! I thought I was losing it! Couldn't find the thread either. May I ask where it was moved to? If it was a demo's only forum, well, that seems silly, as the thread was for folks who are not demos. Just curious. It would be helpful if there was some sort of link redirecting folks to the proper forum.
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post
Thank you! I thought I was losing it! Couldn't find the thread either. May I ask where it was moved to? If it was a demo's only forum, well, that seems silly, as the thread was for folks who are not demos. Just curious. It would be helpful if there was some sort of link redirecting folks to the proper forum.
I searched all over and couldn't find it at all, so I'm thinking they simply deleted the thread without any notification in the General Stamping area where it originated. It wouldn't be the first time a thread simply disappeared from the site like it was never there. I much prefered the way it was in the past where specific posts within a thread were edited by mods if that post was an issue instead of the completely doing away with the entire thread - non-offending posts and all.
Hardware Hotshot

I must have missed the offensive posts. Everything that I had read seemed very informative and true to the OP's request. Interesting.
Gabfest Goddess

I didn't see anything wrong with any of the posts either. Like prchvs said, it might have been since it was simply started by a demo and the mods thought she was trying to get people to sign up under her, but the OP never stated anything of the sort or even hinted at it. It seemed like she was just doing some market research to figure out what makes different people tick when it comes to their shopping habits, in this becoming a demo. Maybe because there were links to her various blogs & websites in her signature line, but if that's the case, then SCS needs to do away with any and all links in signature lines to any business because all signature lines have the same potential for drawing in business.
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I hadn't noticed that it was started by a demo at all. I got the impression that the op was considering signing up, at one point anyway, and was wondering what other people had considered their sticking point. Guess I should read with more attention, lol!
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
I guess I hadn't noticed that it was started by a demo at all. I got the impression that the op was considering signing up, at one point anyway, and was wondering what other people had considered their sticking point. Guess I should read with more attention, lol!
By the way I read what she was asking, that's what it sounded like. To me, it shouldn't matter if you represent any direct sales group or company and you started the thread like that. Unless the person is directly saying "contact me personally if you decide to sign up" or somehow hinting at others to sign up via their signature link, then just asking why other people don't sign up (regardless of what the company is) shouldn't be a problem. If I were still a demo, then it would make me leary of starting any threads on the general side that called attention to the company or products I represented because I'd never know why the threads were getting deleted. If there was some other type of reason it got deleted entirely, then someone needs to state why because there wasn't anything obviously wrong with anything in that thread. If it was because she was a demo & had links in her signature line, then like I said before, anyone who represents any company and has the links in their signature lines should have any threads they started pulled, too.