Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread
Old 11-30-2012, 09:13 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keywords vs. any word in an upload

I know I've asked this before but it was with respect to a couple of specific cards I saw in the gallery. I'm still finding this problem throughout the gallery.

It seems to me that you used to get an upload into a specific gallery by using an appropriate keyword. This is very useful if you want to go to a specific gallery and see uploads that use products from that company.

Lately I have not been able to look in, for example, a company-specific gallery without seeing cards that do not use that gallery's keyword - but are there because somewhere in the description there is a word that happens to be one of the keywords.

This makes the galleries a jumbled up mess. Do I want to go to a particular gallery and see a card (that doesn't even have the appropriate keyword in the keyword field) that is only there because somewhere in the list of accessories there is mention of one small embellishment from that company?

Why don't the cards get sorted to the company galleries based strictly on the keyword field? It's almost pointless anymore to go to a particular company's gallery if you want to find cards there that feature primarily that company's products.

I've also seen cards that have a word incidentally in the description paragraph(s) that happens to be part of a company's name and so it gets into their gallery. It's not helpful.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 376 Likes on 177 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Tell me what company you're talking about - maybe their keywords need to be adjusted.

My Gallery |My Blog | My Videos |
Love Splitcoast?
Help us love our volunteers by shopping at Amazon

Stazon Splitcoast

Hey Lydia! It's all over!

I will make some notes when I have a chance to browse around again. It doesn't seem like the keywords field is the problem. There are uploads that don't use a certain company's keywords in the keyword field - or anything close - but somewhere else where the member puts information on products used (in the description, in accessories field, etc.) they may mention an incidental product or even just a word in a sentence that happens to be a keyword for another company and the card shows up there too.

It's obvious the person uploading isn't trying to send the upload to that company, but it ends up there because it's being sent there by words NOT in the keyword field.

I'll pull up some examples for ya! Thanks!!!

Well the reason that happens is that some of our keywords were set up with spaces, and our system doesn't recognize a space - as most of the internet doesn't.

So for example - if (on our end) a keyword was set up as "John's Stamp Company" - any card with the word "stamp" or "john" or "Company" would show up in a search. These are typically companies set up a long, long time ago on our site, and we fix them as we find them. If a company's keyword is correct - like in my fake example - the keyword might be johnsstampcompany - ONLY those cards would come up.

So examples of the company or companies you see this on will help me fix it. I can't do anything with "all over"

Love Splitcoast?

Stazon Splitcoast

Oh!! (How do you draw out a long "oh" as in 'the lightbulb just went off' when you type?!)

I get it. I think you tried explaining it to me before but I was dense and didn't get it.

Okay - I'll definitely write down the ones where I see it and pass it on to you. I didn't know that about the spaces and I always wondered why some companies have multiple variations for the keywords.

And I always thought the Keyword field actually was where the system "looked" to sort. Now I see that the field is more for us when we upload than a pointer for sorting.

It's all such a tremendous undertaking - I hope you know I do appreciate all of the work that goes into maintaining this entire environment for us!! Now that I understand better. . . I can be more understanding . Thank you ma'am!!

hahah - I so know that lightbulb ooohhhhh!

Yes - there's no way you would have known that. I'm glad that it made sense to you!!!

Thank you for helping me fix it!

Love Splitcoast?