Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-27-2008, 12:58 PM   #721  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awesoem thread.
glad i found u guys ;)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2008, 05:19 AM   #722  
Insane Embellisher

This is a great !!! Thanks all of you for sharing amazing tips !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2008, 07:39 PM   #723  
Insane Embellisher

Tanya,
I love the idea about the baseball card sheet holders. I have put all of my Studio G Stamps in the fabric CD holders with a differnt one for each theme. But your idea seems to be a more space saving way. I have very litte space in this apartment and even less with my stamping stuff here, so I'm always trying to find ways to save space!
I think I'll try your ideas and find another use for the cd holders!!!

Thanks so much...See at least one person got something from your message!!! :-)

Gwen

Quote:

Originally Posted by TanyaLView Post
What a great thread! And greatgrammy...a great big thank you for compiling all the great ideas.

I'm going to try my best to describe my tips and tricks but I'm seriously sleep depreived...so don't expect too much! LOL

- We recently had a new baby in the house who came home with a bunch of small formula bottles (sample, hospital sizes maybe). I use them to hold my glue bottle upside down while I'm working on a project. Thankfully I am able to leave the tip open and should anything drip out it's caught in the bottom of the bottle. The opening is the perfect size for the bottle tops.

- I have a bunch (read 150+) of the small Studio G cleare $1 stamp sets that until recently were in drawers grouped by catagory. Searching through for the right one was time consuming so I took them out of the packaging and now have them stored in baseball card holders that fit into a 3-ring binder. they fit perfect! I can easily and quickly flip through them. (adding a piece of white paper or cs behind each page of stamps made them easier to see)

- If there is one 'tool' that I use most often it would be those black binder clips. Because I am super **** about everything being centered, I will center my 'whatever' and then clip it in place so I can apply my glue, adhesive or whatever to at least once side then the clips are removed. I have also used these clips on my EP projects. They work as handles while I'm melting the EP.

- For those of you who have a Xyron...don't throw out your empty carts! Use them as a press to run things through that need to be pressed together. I have used it to reinforce scores, flatten out something that had warped, etc. For a better result and a tighter fit I would add a piece of chipboard as a 'shim'.

- Because I can't ever get nice even folded edges for my card bases, I will use a base that is slightly bigger than my card size. After I score and fold I will trim on three size to the desired size for perfectly matched edges. Now I bet that makes NO sense, does it?

These tips are probably not worthy of being added to the list but maybe, just maybe somebody out there will be able to get use out of 'em! Then again, maybe not! LOL

My SCS Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2008, 08:31 PM   #724  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyleneView Post
Turn off your ceiling fan while using dazzling diamonds glitter.
OMG that is soooo funny! Also, make sure you move away from your pile of embossing powder when you use your embossing heat tool.

This is a great thread! So many great ideas. This one may already have been added, but if you are using a punch on a small scrap of cardstock and you can't get a hold of the scrap to line it up, use removable adhesive to attach a long strip of carstock to the small scrap. Then, you can hold onto the strip as if it's a handle and easily line up the scrap you are trying to punch.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2008, 10:05 PM   #725  
Polyshrink Goddess

I love this thread!

Speaking of EP, close your stamp pad before embossing so you don't blow stray EP in your pads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2008, 06:46 AM   #726  
Matboard Maniac

Wow! Thanks guys for all the tips. Can't wait to use them. Here are my two Or three.

1. Started out stamping several sets to 8 by 11 sheet to put in 3 ring notebook. However, my collection grew and grew and grew. So after buying a few sets twice I rethought things. Now I only stamp one set per page. I give each set a number. That way I post the set and number in excil as 2 separate columns. I also have a column for year and page no. of where I can find set, a column for the orignial price, and a column for the price I paid for it. Last two columns are for my children when I die. Two boys and I expect you will be seeing them on ebay or Split Coast. However, the reason I post only one seton a 8 by 10 is so I can then put them behind the appropriate divider ( or maybe an entire notebook by topic if I end up with that many) by subject. For example behind a Christmas divider I might have sets 2,34,57, 489, etc.. The number tells me where to locate the stamp set. For example, the 3rd filing cabinet, 2nd drawer. It certainly beats going through 3 or 400 stamp sets. and going through 3 notebooks trying to locate all the Christmas stamps. I have one divider for D. Morgan stamps, House Mouse stamps, and then topics like Christmas, Halloween, Sayings, Backgrounds, Birthdays, etc. I'm sure you get the idea. And yes I store the stamps in full suspension filing cabinets. That way I don't have to worry about the weight and they only take up a small space and stamps are out of sight and neat. I put them on excel. That way I can put the stamps in order according to their number. That way I don't forget which number I used last, and I can also put them in alphabetical order
so I can immediately check to make sure I don't have that stamp set and don't waste money buyinsg an idential set.

2. I too mark not only all the sides of my boxes, but also the front and back. However I do it on the computer. I use mailing labels and mark the no. of the set and the name of the set. I found the white background of the stamp set and the black ink of the name stands out better than a marker on the set, and I can make the font the size I want.This makes them stand out if you take them somewhere.

Another advantage is if you want to later sell the stamp set all you have to do is peel off the name .

3. Sometime in the future I will redo the labels of some stamp sets in red. That is to let my kids know that those stamps perhaps in the future will sell for more money and they need to do the research into what they are selling for before they put them up for sale.

4. My main tip is working with stenciling paste. I learned this from a lady at a convention. When stenciling lay the stencil down and put a post-it note at the top with the sticky part on the stencil and the rest of the post-it away from the design. Then use post it notes on all 4 sides covering the top post it note. This is to protect the area around your design. P. S. you can reuse the yelow post-its again and again. Next do your paste. When dry, remove the 4 postits on the sides. Slid the stencil down tho the edge of the desk and over. Then lift stencil up. The piece with the post it acts as a hinge. Lift it up and it won't mess up your paste. Hope you can use some of this.
sam

sam

Last edited by allensm; 08-30-2008 at 06:56 AM.. Reason: for spelling and spacing errors
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2008, 11:28 PM   #727  
Rubber Obsessor

This isn't really a stamping tip but it sure could come in handy!

I've not read through ALL the postings but the ones I read through didn't mention what I just discovered so either it's a new trick or I'm extremely slow.

I'm making my mom a coupon organizer in hopes of getting her to use coupons. In making it, I have to fold the paper in two directions, with one crease going against the grain. So...I tried misting the paper along the fold that goes against the grain and guess what....NO CRACKING! I'm so excited...even though I got about 95% of it done and was on my last fold before I realized it. I tried it with several different CS pieces and each one that I tried worked! Just mist it lightly, crease it, let it dry and voila, a crease against the grain with no cracking! I'm so excited about it because it looks so much better that I might scrap what I've done so far and start over because it looks so much better! Boy am I ticked that I didn't think of it sooner!

Keep in mind, I only tried it with the scraps that I have so I can't say for sure that it will work with every brand, or even every color (some might run, like red) but so far I've had 100% success! YIPEE!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-31-2008, 11:33 PM   #728  
Rubber Obsessor

Gwen,

I'm glad you are able to put the idea to work!
It does work great but you have to have a really big 3-ring binder! I think I have a 2" and it's too small to close the way it should but boy does it make going through the stamp sets easy! If you have as many sets as I do, or even close I wouldn't suggest going with anything smaller than a 3" binder or at least use multiple smaller binders. And, the sets slide in and out of the card holders really easily...just don't push them all the way to the bottom. the carrier sheets hold them in pretty good.

I wish I would have thought about it earlier but you can give the original packaging that your stamps came in to a trading card collector to use. No sense in throwing them away if somebody else can use them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gizmonl66View Post
Tanya,
I love the idea about the baseball card sheet holders. I have put all of my Studio G Stamps in the fabric CD holders with a differnt one for each theme. But your idea seems to be a more space saving way. I have very litte space in this apartment and even less with my stamping stuff here, so I'm always trying to find ways to save space!
I think I'll try your ideas and find another use for the cd holders!!!

Thanks so much...See at least one person got something from your message!!! :-)

Gwen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2008, 01:34 AM   #729  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2,487 Likes on 1,486 Posts
Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by TanyaLView Post
This isn't really a stamping tip but it sure could come in handy!

I've not read through ALL the postings but the ones I read through didn't mention what I just discovered so either it's a new trick or I'm extremely slow.

I'm making my mom a coupon organizer in hopes of getting her to use coupons. In making it, I have to fold the paper in two directions, with one crease going against the grain. So...I tried misting the paper along the fold that goes against the grain and guess what....NO CRACKING! I'm so excited...even though I got about 95% of it done and was on my last fold before I realized it. I tried it with several different CS pieces and each one that I tried worked! Just mist it lightly, crease it, let it dry and voila, a crease against the grain with no cracking! I'm so excited about it because it looks so much better that I might scrap what I've done so far and start over because it looks so much better! Boy am I ticked that I didn't think of it sooner!

Keep in mind, I only tried it with the scraps that I have so I can't say for sure that it will work with every brand, or even every color (some might run, like red) but so far I've had 100% success! YIPEE!
Great tip -- thanks so very much for sharing. :-D
Caterina www.colesfoundation.org www.colespages.com www.kidsunitetofight.com Everything can change in the blink of an eye. But don't worry; God never blinks. America will only be the land of the free so long as it is the home of the Brave https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/f...t-t339556.html
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2008, 05:44 PM   #730  
Kookie Creator

Default FAvoriTe TiPs for CaRd MaKinG EtC.....

HOLY MOLY!!! I am SO excited to have found this thread!!! Haven't had time to read all the tips this evening as I just found this thread, but SO MANY neat tips, tricks, ideas...etc....

I'm still a newbie so don't really have anything that might not be out there (yet)....except that I use my StampAMaJig when stamping almost ALL the time just to set the left SIDE and top of my stamp against...with my one shaky hand that I use to press the stamp down, it just helps ME get FEWER "crooked" images...as long as your stamp is mounted straight!! ;)

Just my two cents worth...Maybe?? this tip will help somebody else...it works great for ME anyway!!

Cya ALL...keep those tips a 'comin!!! Nighty Nite...Jo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2008, 01:54 PM   #731  
Matboard Maniac

Far too much to read in one day!! So I will read three pages at a time., thank you all
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2008, 05:05 AM   #732  
Rubber Obsessor

Great thread!! I subscribed so I can read through it all later.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2008, 10:21 AM   #733  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoralyView Post
Great thread!! I subscribed so I can read through it all later.
See post #717 on page 18. That is where I uploaded the most current Word file as of (I think) August. Makes it a little easier to read as you can view the tips by topic.

I didn't create the original file, but have been updating it for a while now. There are so many good tips out there, I hate to see it go by the wayside.

Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2008, 06:40 PM   #734  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by KittypawsView Post
When I get a new stamp set, I stamp each image on an 8 1/2 x 11 paper (you can get more than one stamp set on a page) and then label the name of the set on the page, then put this in a 3-ring binder. I can usually remember the large pieces, but this is particularly useful for some of the small images that come in a set that you might want to use as a background, etc. It's a lot easier to go through a 3-ring binder than rummaging through stamp sets. Works for me.
I do this, too. Putting it together was a lot of work at first, but boy is it helpful. Half the time I think to myself "I know I have a stamp with a whatever image." Now I just flip through my book (actually, since I am out of control, for me it is bookS).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2008, 12:04 AM   #735  
Rubber Obsessor

Smile Make a copy

Quote:

Originally Posted by KittypawsView Post
When I get a new stamp set, I stamp each image on an 8 1/2 x 11 paper (you can get more than one stamp set on a page) and then label the name of the set on the page, then put this in a 3-ring binder. I can usually remember the large pieces, but this is particularly useful for some of the small images that come in a set that you might want to use as a background, etc. It's a lot easier to go through a 3-ring binder than rummaging through stamp sets. Works for me.
I simply copy the label sheet that comes with the stamp set (if it's SU!) before I put the labels on the wood blocks. I then cut the copy into photo-size and put it in a cheap photo album.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2008, 12:07 PM   #736  
Crimping Master

Smile Not really a stamping tip, but one from my upline I LOVE

I know that when I get the new catalogs (any of them!), my upline who's such a dear, has made this suggestion before deciding what to purchase as far as stamps go. She's suggested to all of us to think of three ways that you can use the set (or some stamps within), and then pick those. That way you will truly have multiple uses with them, and as a result more ideas to create, share, demo, etc. THIS has helped me out a ton, as I'm simply guilty as ever of purchasing sets JUST because I THOUGHT I had to have them! ;) Now my stamp purchases are made with more thinking than impulse, LOL, and I really have managed to put them to use more often. Well, thought I'd share that tip. It's saved me $$$ (not that I haven't spent enough over the years as is stands), but I'm actually happier with the choices I've been making. That, and to purchase what I LOVE. If I don't really like it, I'm not going to demo it as well, nor as often. Another lesson learned the hard way! Hope that helps someone, and isn't a repeat idea! ~ Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2008, 12:58 PM   #737  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

At work I take the papers that have mistakes on pages we print out from the printer. I take them home and use them to stamp on, glue or anything messy. Then I just toss them.

Instead of throwing all my scraps away, I punch out different things like the scallop sqaure or scallop circle and put them in baggies. I either use them, give them to customers, or send them for Wish Raks here on SCS.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2008, 01:05 PM   #738  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by meluvstampinView Post
At work I take the papers that have mistakes on pages we print out from the printer. I take them home and use them to stamp on, glue or anything messy. Then I just toss them.

Instead of throwing all my scraps away, I punch out different things like the scallop sqaure or scallop circle and put them in baggies. I either use them, give them to customers, or send them for Wish Raks here on SCS.
I do the same thing, except I use old school papers that my children bring home. It seems like they come home with so much stuff that is in addition to the things of theirs that I must keep.

Regarding scraps, I keep mine color coded in one of those accordian folders (I use the big black one from Creative Memories, but there are tons out there at Target, etc.) Then when I need a little scrap to match a DP or to punch a tag, they are all right there at my fingertips.

The other organizing thing that I have done is I unrolled all my ribbons off the original spools and wrapped them around pieces of cardboard cut to fit inside a shoe box. Then I organized them by color and just have them sitting on a shelf. It has been great because that way I can readily see what I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2008, 01:34 PM   #739  
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmptyNestMomView Post
I know that when I get the new catalogs (any of them!), my upline who's such a dear, has made this suggestion before deciding what to purchase as far as stamps go. She's suggested to all of us to think of three ways that you can use the set (or some stamps within), and then pick those. That way you will truly have multiple uses with them, and as a result more ideas to create, share, demo, etc. THIS has helped me out a ton, as I'm simply guilty as ever of purchasing sets JUST because I THOUGHT I had to have them! ;) Now my stamp purchases are made with more thinking than impulse, LOL, and I really have managed to put them to use more often. Well, thought I'd share that tip. It's saved me $$$ (not that I haven't spent enough over the years as is stands), but I'm actually happier with the choices I've been making. That, and to purchase what I LOVE. If I don't really like it, I'm not going to demo it as well, nor as often. Another lesson learned the hard way! Hope that helps someone, and isn't a repeat idea! ~ Barbara

Barbara, great tip to newbies -- when I first started, bought a ton of stamps that have been collected dust. Now, whenever someone new asks what to get, I tell them pick out a stamp set that is very versatile. Then, use new stamping techniques and embellishments to create different cards with the same set of stamps.
Caterina www.colesfoundation.org www.colespages.com www.kidsunitetofight.com Everything can change in the blink of an eye. But don't worry; God never blinks. America will only be the land of the free so long as it is the home of the Brave https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/f...t-t339556.html
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2008, 02:45 PM   #740  
Polyshrink Goddess

One thing that I just did today is to take my scallop punch and the front of the paper packs that have the squares showing the papers in the packs (12x12) I use my punch and punch those out.....I know it seems cheap but I now have a bunch of different punches to corrdinate with the paper in the pack...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2008, 05:42 PM   #741  
Rubber Obsessor

great thread!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2008, 05:55 PM   #742  
Rubber Obsessor

great thread 2 subbing for fantastic ideas for later use :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2008, 09:17 PM   #743  
Crimping Master

Smile GLITTER - Another tip, perhaps already covered!

I LOVE to work with glitter, but we all know how glitter turns us into GLITTER FOR THE DAY queens, and also does add some sparkle to the house, almost forever, LOL. I'm pretty adept by now at how to use it to create little mess, since I use it a LOT!

However, when I'm allowing others to use the glitter, I have them use my small powder pal, which is marked GLITTER ONLY, and I have a GLITTER only brush as well. This is to assist them getting the excess back into the jar, and to stop me from almost crying. YES, there is some glitter flitter, however, it does help. (A) for me, by NOT allowing cross use of the trays/brushes, I have saved a ton of grief. Learned the hard way when glitter got into some EP, which just didn't make me happy as my project came out w/sparkles in areas I hadn't intended. ALSO, the jar of EP wasn't a complete loss, but getting the extra fly away glitter out would have been impossible. So - there's my tip.

How do I work w/glitter? VERY carefully, LOL.. I also put my card/item pre-glued into a JUMBO Ziploc bag that I have prepared by rubbing the inside with a dryer sheet for static, which DOES really work/help. I very gently sprinkle as LITTLE AS POSSIBLE of my glitter onto my card/item. I tap off the excess, and it remains in the bag. Eventually there's enough in there to just put a card/item into the bag, and tap it over onto the item. I still end up a wee bit of the sparkle queen, sigh, but I don't have it all over my fingers, or eventually in my eyes! I mean, gosh, it just makes me cringe when I see folks using my special sparkling glitter (grin) and practically DUMP a pile (half a jar) onto their card, when they only needed a pinch.

I LOVE the tip about making sure your ceiling fan is NOT on when using glitter. THAT IS SO TRUE - FUNNY as well, unless it is your house it happens in! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2008, 07:26 PM   #744  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Some of my tips:

organizational -
* store mounted stamps in shoe box lids stored in a box - easy to layer and take out (plus it's a cheap storage solution!)
* use candy tins to store punched shapes and parts of cards to put together later
* I wrap ribbon around playing cards - it stores the ribbon flat and you can wrap a few different ones around the same card

stamping -
* markers (I use smelly markers) drawn on stamps, then misted with water make gorgeous stamped watercolour images
* paint chips make gorgeous matted layers on cards and for stamping - the textured ones are especially nice and they all emboss really well
* Staples has an excellent black stamp pad that is reasonable and stamps brilliantly for detailed images
* use the outline left over when using the pop dots to make more of your own
* check out stores for business cards with images and colours that make perfect paper to punch from
* use a punch to make a window card, adhere drywall tape from back and then stamp an image on the inside, showing through drywall tape
* wall paper and anaglypta (sp?) books make excellent paper to use for cardmaking and homemade envelopes (ask at paint stores for their old ones)

Thanks to everyone for the excellent tips!

stamper at ❤

Stamps and dies for sale here

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2008, 07:48 PM   #745  
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Great tips Cara - thanks so much
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2008, 03:00 AM   #746  
Stampin' Fool

Default basic fold tip

I remember reading on this site that you were supposed to use a bone folder, which I did, but when you scored, you should fold so that the scored part you just did is on the outside. I think this is called the valley. Anyway, it's a really basic thing, but it has made my cards take another step in the right direction. Also, when you can, get a scor-pal! It's an awesome tool. I'm especially using it now for all of the Christmas cards I'm making.

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2008, 09:56 PM   #747  
Kookie Creator

I do this too, and it works wonderfully on the inside of a closet door.

I have found them at thrift stores or on Freecycle -- Wooden Cassette Tape holders just ROCK for storing ink pads -- cheap!
http://inkingitup.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2008, 09:59 PM   #748  
Kookie Creator

Goo Be Gone: That sticky stuff on the bottles and tins, from labels...

On the Craft Fair discussion, folks were talking about making sets of things using Frappachino bottles... some were complaining about the label goo...

A very, very, simple and effective way to get rid of all the goo -- there is an orange/citrus based cleaner called Citri-solve or something like that... I use it full strength with a paper towel and it takes everything off in seconds... smells delicious, and us just plain AMAZING for cleaning the range hood in the kitchen, and so many other things. It is very concentrated, so for most cleaning a water it down in a solution or spray bottle.

Citri-Solve works like a charm on this stuff -- and you will love it for getting labels off of tins, too ;^)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2008, 04:41 AM   #749  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoypupView Post
Goo Be Gone: That sticky stuff on the bottles and tins, from labels...

On the Craft Fair discussion, folks were talking about making sets of things using Frappachino bottles... some were complaining about the label goo...

To be even more frugal, why bother with removing the sticky adhesive from the bottles in the first place? I just stick my paper directly to it, and it's stuck! It never occurred to me to remove it, I figured it was a bonus!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2008, 08:36 AM   #750  
Kookie Creator

A great tip if you are mass producing things that have ribbon or cord -- to get things the same length... and save a TON of time:

1. Find something that you can wrap the cord/ribbon/trim around... it should have the circumference of the length of the cord you want. Example: I am making loops for hanging lollipop wraps from a Christmas tree -- a quart sized canning jar was perfect.

2. Wrap the cord around the jar or other form you are using -- as many times as you would like. Making 100 items, wrap 100 times. End in the same place as you began (you could tape the beginning to the jar, if you want) and clip the cord.

3. slip the whole mass off the jar... keeping the "loop" intact (with your fingers in the hole...)

4. Make a Single cut through all 100 loops at the point where you begin and end your bundle.

5. Voila! 100 pieces of cord of equal length.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2008, 10:30 AM   #751  
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Julie, thanks for the great tip - love your picture. :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2008, 03:59 PM   #752  
Rubber Obsessor

I love everyone's tips... I should be having play time with my kids instead of reading these! Before I go:

Along the lines of the StudioG stamp storage already mentioned - we have (in Vanc BC) a store called Daiso ($2 store from Japan). They have dirt cheap trading card holders (can't remember - 10 for $2? Or was it 16?). The only thing is you have to buy the Asian A4 size, with a weird binding. Good thing is the binders are also only $2, and thin so you can just buy different colours for different themes. My nesties go in a similar binder.

Coluzzle - I took an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper, cut out all the different circle Coluzzle sizes on it and store it in a page protector. Now I can try the circles out to see which size would best work with the photo I want to crop.

Paper storage - I have a filing cabinet with a separate hanging file for each colour. Each hanging file has full sheets, with an additional file folder for large scraps, and a page protector for bitty scraps. I used to have another file folder in each hanging file to store mid-size scraps, but now I put all those in a photo box, separated by colour with tabbed index cards. I had too many mid-sized scraps to keep neatly in the hanging file, and these are the ones I reach for most often.

Paper garbage - all those little bits of cardstock that can't be reused go into a paper photo envelope. Then I toss the whole thing in the recycling bin when it's full without having to worry about picking tiny little pieces out of the bin!

Oh, here's one more paper tip - for all my photo mats, I cut a smaller rectangle out (won't show beneath the photo) and save it for other stuff.

That's all for now,

nina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2008, 10:57 PM   #753  
Crimping Master

I ACTUALLY just went into a DAISO store here for the FIRST TIME this week. GOSH, they sure do have a lot of items. AND if you think about it, it makes sense that their bingers are so thin. Here in the US we're rather spoiled with so many rooms and storage (even though we're often complaining about having enough STAMP storage, LOL). They do have SO many great items, at WOW prices. I actually located their company website, and searched for a local store after reading a post. Of all the things, there aren't too many dollar stores here, or ones that are worth going to like I keep reading about from everyone else. THAT & No "Hobby Lobby", NO "AC Moore"... BUT I have DAISO! SO, those who can locate a store, Nina's correct. For storing your Nesties, etc., they have some great ideas/prices, even if you don't want to try a binder.

HEY, I've actually not BEEN to a store mentioned on all these threads! WOW, I feel included now. ;) ~ Barbara

Quote:

Originally Posted by felis44View Post
I love everyone's tips... I should be having play time with my kids instead of reading these! Before I go:

Along the lines of the StudioG stamp storage already mentioned - we have (in Vanc BC) a store called Daiso ($2 store from Japan). They have dirt cheap trading card holders (can't remember - 10 for $2? Or was it 16?). The only thing is you have to buy the Asian A4 size, with a weird binding. Good thing is the binders are also only $2, and thin so you can just buy different colours for different themes. My nesties go in a similar binder.

Coluzzle - I took an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper, cut out all the different circle Coluzzle sizes on it and store it in a page protector. Now I can try the circles out to see which size would best work with the photo I want to crop.

Paper storage - I have a filing cabinet with a separate hanging file for each colour. Each hanging file has full sheets, with an additional file folder for large scraps, and a page protector for bitty scraps. I used to have another file folder in each hanging file to store mid-size scraps, but now I put all those in a photo box, separated by colour with tabbed index cards. I had too many mid-sized scraps to keep neatly in the hanging file, and these are the ones I reach for most often.

Paper garbage - all those little bits of cardstock that can't be reused go into a paper photo envelope. Then I toss the whole thing in the recycling bin when it's full without having to worry about picking tiny little pieces out of the bin!

Oh, here's one more paper tip - for all my photo mats, I cut a smaller rectangle out (won't show beneath the photo) and save it for other stuff.

That's all for now,

nina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2008, 08:07 AM   #754  
Rubber Obsessor

That's great! Isn't it the coolest store? A lot of cheap stuff but some very useful stuff too. It's way better than your average dollar store. Good for stocking stuffers too...

If you go you might want to take measurements - because everything is designed for an Asian market, it's all metric so sizes may not quite match what you're looking for. I have the Classic Circles nesties set, and trimmed the cardboard they were stuck to and was able to slide them all into the page protector. One of the scalloped circle sets was pretty tight though. StudioG stamps fit perfectly though.

nina

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmptyNestMomView Post
I ACTUALLY just went into a DAISO store here for the FIRST TIME this week. GOSH, they sure do have a lot of items. AND if you think about it, it makes sense that their bingers are so thin. Here in the US we're rather spoiled with so many rooms and storage (even though we're often complaining about having enough STAMP storage, LOL). They do have SO many great items, at WOW prices. I actually located their company website, and searched for a local store after reading a post. Of all the things, there aren't too many dollar stores here, or ones that are worth going to like I keep reading about from everyone else. THAT & No "Hobby Lobby", NO "AC Moore"... BUT I have DAISO! SO, those who can locate a store, Nina's correct. For storing your Nesties, etc., they have some great ideas/prices, even if you don't want to try a binder.

HEY, I've actually not BEEN to a store mentioned on all these threads! WOW, I feel included now. ;) ~ Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2008, 10:12 AM   #755  
Crimping Master

Well, I just had a BIG laugh as I read back over my post. BINGERS? What the heck are those? I'm hoping everyone KNEW that was a typo and I meant BINDERS! LOL Too funny..now I'm the BINGERS lady! - and yes it was a WOW store, with lots of interesting things. GREAT stuff for small space storage, etc. PLUS some cute bowls, and...OK back to TIPS...??Hmm?? I can't think of a new one right now...brain is elsewhere it appears!!! WHY? BECAUSE I'm the BINGERS lady now! ROFLOL ~ Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2008, 04:07 AM   #756  
Crimping Master

Bingers, you are too funny. I am not sure what i enjoy the most...your happy sense of humor or tips.
EmptyNestMom? Me too. Stinks doesn't it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2008, 02:27 PM   #757  
Matboard Maniac

Here's my two tips:

1. Have you ever glued a piece of cardstock to another piece of cardstock to only realize it isn't straight. Up to now when I tried to pull it up it tore something. Now thanks to Delores (one of my stamping up demos.) I don't have the problem anymore. Yes, I still mound them crooked at times, but now I can correct them. Using a piece of waxed dental floss (dollar store) you cut a piece longer than the piece you want to remove to reglue. Put it behind the piece you want to remove and then pull one side than the other until you reach the bottom. Then you can reglue it straight. Also, worked when I forgot to put glitter on a stamped image,and I didn't want to get glitter all over the card.Took that section off with dental floss, glittered it and then reglued.
2 Use Kiss0ff to clean stamps. Even takes off black stazon and makes the stamp look like new. even when it's been on there a while. Find it in the ARTS dept in Michaels for less than 5.00

sam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2008, 06:57 PM   #758  
Kookie Creator

I have been very creative when finding things to put into cards -- sure, tea bags and cocoa are fun, but bulky and expensive. I have collected two things that are great fun -- seed packets and recipe cards. Both are often available for free! The seeds are often promotional gifts -- I scored a ton from a museum I went to this past summer... and the recipe cards are from the grocery store! I got a pile of potato pancake recipe cards for including in a Hannukah card that I will be making and selling (so I needed several of them) -- I am imagining that you could have all different recipes for different types of cards... chicken soup for "Get Well", etc.

Things that you can add to a card make it more of a "gift" in an envelope -- and are cheaper than a gift card, and don't even have to require an extra stamp!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2008, 03:36 AM   #759  
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Great tip, Julie - thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2008, 05:46 PM   #760  
Matboard Maniac

Julie,
That was a wonderful tip. How simple but it can be such a great presentation.
Reply With Quote Likes