Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-31-2021, 06:42 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default tab punch

Is there one out there besides the discontinues Stampin Up one that actually works?

I've read/heard stories about paying mega $$ for a Stampin Up whale tale punch and always thought why. I knew I had seen another tab punch and while not the same shape always thought it would work just as good. Finally saw the other punch in a store and decided to buy it. It promptly got returned the next day because it punched only once and then jammed up and would not work after that. Insult to injury the picture is very misleading as it does not create a double sided tab like depicted in the picture. Yes one could punch 2, provided the punch worked and glue them together or use their idiotic sticky things (was never gonna happen) but it really irked me that I was mislead by their packaging. Started reading reviews after the thing permanently jammed and found that everyone was having the same problem no matter what paper was used.

I purposely did not name the company as I trying to abide by the rules of not slamming companies.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2021, 10:42 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

I haven't seen any, sorry I can't help you there.

Have you considered doing something different like stapling on ribbon or finding sticker tabs? I have seen both used in mixed media books and planners but it is a different look.

Another thought: if that no-name punch was designed for you to punch two then adhere, you could do that with any punch or die!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2021, 02:20 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Stacy, I have a feeling I know which punch you are talking about! ;) LOL!
Have you looked at the WRMK Tab Punch Board? Of course it isn't a "punch" punch but it does make nice tabs that you can customize. YouTuber BibleScraps she has several videos showing how to use it.
I bought one. I do really like it. I don't love it! That's because you know I craft quirky, lol. That's not on the punch board, that is my art style.
I have been power using it since I make a lot of tabs for my notebooks. Even, Mike has been using it.
Hope you & your family are doing great. Been thinking of you & hoping you are all safe. Wondering if you are going to brave my area this year, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
fl_beachbum (08-02-2021)
Old 08-01-2021, 05:31 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

//"Another thought: if that no-name punch was designed for you to punch two then adhere, you could do that with any punch or die!" // Exactly and I have gotten creative with some of my smaller dies folding them in half or used two for a tab but a decent full tab punch would be really convenient. In fact the ladies at my church group always want to see what I've used "this time" for chapter tabs.

Lylacfey, I have though about that or an envelope punch board (seen it used to make tabs too) but again a punch would just be quicker and I'm not sure I trust the longevity of either one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2021, 10:59 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Stacy- That's a good point about the longevity of the boards. I have one of the WRMK envelope punch boards from when it was still WRMK and American Crafts had not taken over the company yet. That board is very sturdy.
I have noticed the new WRMK tools are a bit more flimsy and not as well constructed. I bought the mini envelope punch board twice and twice it broke in the same place. If you go to Amazon the reviews of the breakage was the same breakage I had.
I do have the tab punch board and have been using it heavily for the past few months and it hasn't had any issues, knock on wood.
I did think of a notch punch for you. I have this one- https://www.amazon.com/s?k=notch+pap...&tag=moz-us-20 I have been making a lot of tabs with that one. I have created double sided tabs with it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2021, 06:06 AM   #6  
Mad Swapper

I'm gonna assume you are talking about the Bira corner and notch punch cause that link brought up several things. Apparently "notch punch" means lots of different things. Unless you really are suggesting I go rope climbing or something, thxs for the giggle this morning.

Bira might be the brand that has come up in recommendations after reading review about that other punch that I had returned. Good to know you are happy with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2021, 10:36 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

LOL, I did C&P the wrong URL! I am sorry. Yes, it is the Bira notch punch. I do think you should rope climb.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2021, 04:58 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I believe you're allowed to mention names, as long as things are kept professional and not personal. If there is a defective product, we should be able to warn others to not purchase it. We've had many discussions of this nature that haven't been deleted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2021, 05:13 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

You gonna join me?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2021, 02:11 PM   #10  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

Stacy, thanks for posting. I'm going to take extra good care of my SU tab punch from now on!
Reply With Quote Likes
stampin stacy (08-04-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 05:01 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin stacyView Post
You gonna join me?
Now, you know I would go rock climbing, lol. Right now I would probably hobble and it would be like a turtle climbing a rock but I will do it, lol. Plus, I can see people again!
I know you probably already thought of this but I found a YT video last night making Whale Tail Tabs with a different punch- I just thought I post it in case somebody else is following the thread who might need it or it could help you.
Now, I did double check the URL to make sure it's not rock climbing videos or pictures of dogs or something crazy I would do, lol.
Ignore the weird editing. I didn't do that. Internet Brands, bless them.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2021, 06:39 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

Received 90 Likes on 55 Posts

Quote:

Is there one out there besides the discontinues Stampin Up one that actually works?

I've read/heard stories about paying mega $$ for a Stampin Up whale tale punch and always thought why. I knew I had seen another tab punch and while not the same shape always thought it would work just as good. Finally saw the other punch in a store and decided to buy it. It promptly got returned the next day because it punched only once and then jammed up and would not work after that. Insult to injury the picture is very misleading as it does not create a double sided tab like depicted in the picture. Yes one could punch 2, provided the punch worked and glue them together or use their idiotic sticky things (was never gonna happen) but it really irked me that I was mislead by their packaging. Started reading reviews after the thing permanently jammed and found that everyone was having the same problem no matter what paper was used.

I purposely did not name the company as I trying to abide by the rules of not slamming companies.
Hi Stacy, I have the original SU punch and would be willing to sell it, but I’m hopeless with technology and figuring out how to sell online! I have a box of stamps and other supplies ready to list, just have to make the leap. I’m so wary of linking a bank account to the selling platforms, and I think that’s the first step in signing up. Do most people feel safe with PayPal? Business or personal (?)…that’s how far I got LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2021, 06:54 PM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I am trying to understand what a tab punch is....like the tabs on a file folder? I get different things when I search for it. There are dies that do that....I had one someone sent me for free. I could check and see if I still do-I could mail it to you. I have never used it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2021, 09:43 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

wavejumper- you are correct it is like the tabs on file folders. Super popular technique right now with journalers- bible, junk, planner girls. It is a life saver too for those of us who are note takers or create large journals for research.
They also make the cutest cards and tags. Last weekend I made a cute tab coin envelope.
My RPG group, before Covid, we were always making tabs to mark important things in our books. I created templates for everyone. That worked out great but then I would need to make more templates because they didn't last. Punch my friends can grab it off the table, make their own tab and attach, easy no hassle. I know when I start gaming in person again I will need to buy another punch or board because it will be heavily used. I brought up this example because I think it is probably the same for other groups like bible study, for example.
The dies are great but not very mobile for those of us who need a grab and go bag. I guess not mobile enough for those who are lucky enough to see people, lol.

bzzzeee I trust PayPal and have used it for years to buy things. My DH just had his Spotify account hacked. I had our payment linked tp PayPal. They were able to cancel and protect our account while Spotify helped us. It was a big stress reliever.

Last edited by lylacfey; 08-04-2021 at 09:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
bzzzeee (08-05-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 09:58 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

The SU one under discussion was called Round Tab Punch, I had to label mine because I could never remember what the darn thing was called and there were several tab punches. I didn't realise it was an in thing again, but it makes sense with journalling and albums.
TLC784 Surprise Check In by Cook22 at Splitcoaststampers. You can see it on the insert, punched from DP.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2021, 02:31 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Received 90 Likes on 55 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
wavejumper- you are correct it is like the tabs on file folders. Super popular technique right now with journalers- bible, junk, planner girls. It is a life saver too for those of us who are note takers or create large journals for research.
They also make the cutest cards and tags. Last weekend I made a cute tab coin envelope.
My RPG group, before Covid, we were always making tabs to mark important things in our books. I created templates for everyone. That worked out great but then I would need to make more templates because they didn't last. Punch my friends can grab it off the table, make their own tab and attach, easy no hassle. I know when I start gaming in person again I will need to buy another punch or board because it will be heavily used. I brought up this example because I think it is probably the same for other groups like bible study, for example.
The dies are great but not very mobile for those of us who need a grab and go bag. I guess not mobile enough for those who are lucky enough to see people, lol.

bzzzeee I trust PayPal and have used it for years to buy things. My DH just had his Spotify account hacked. I had our payment linked tp PayPal. They were able to cancel and protect our account while Spotify helped us. It was a big stress reliever.
Thank you for sharing your experience with PayPal. I will give it a try!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2021, 05:41 AM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Yes the one in the pic at the top of the card is the one that seems to be so popular for journaling. All I've heard it called is whale tale punch, had no idea that was the wrong name.

Bzzzeee and Wavejumper I'm sending y'all pm's. This is the best most generous site, EVER.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2021, 08:10 AM   #18  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Quote:

Yes the one in the pic at the top of the card is the one that seems to be so popular for journaling. All I've heard it called is whale tale punch, had no idea that was the wrong name.

Bzzzeee and Wavejumper I'm sending y'all pm's. This is the best most generous site, EVER.
Whale tail makes much more sense! It's because round tab made no sense to me that it never stuck in my mind and I had to label it ;-).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2021, 02:55 PM   #19  
Kookie Creator

Received 67 Likes on 29 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
Whale tail makes much more sense! It's because round tab made no sense to me that it never stuck in my mind and I had to label it ;-).
Whale tail punch(es) are actually any of the older style of the Stampin' Up! punches, before they changed to the punches that lock closed and sit flat. The handle of the older style punch looks like a whale's tail.
Reply With Quote Likes
Brenda71 (06-01-2023)
Old 08-06-2021, 06:15 AM   #20  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I love my old EK Success (who made Stampin' Up's) Whale Tail punches! I still use them when I want some quick cuts without using my die-cut machines.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2021, 06:26 AM   #21  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinstacy2010View Post
Whale tail punch(es) are actually any of the older style of the Stampin' Up! punches, before they changed to the punches that lock closed and sit flat. The handle of the older style punch looks like a whale's tail.
Yes, I did know that usage of the term whale tail ;-). But I wondered was it also being applied to the shape of the tab. Round tab was never an intuitive name, for me, and there were several other tab punches, I think.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2021, 02:52 AM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

I remember SU's round tab punch. That was such a beautiful punch. I almost bought it. I thought that was the one we were all referencing.
I remember several demo's call it the Whale Tail punch over the years because it looks like a whale tail.
I remember back when that punch was popular several women were creating SVG's of it to cut on our machine's.

I was watching Nintendo YouTuber's yesterday and this video popped up on my side feed for making "whale tails" with the tab punch board-
Posting in case anybody could use the tutorial. I don't know why it popped up on my side feed while watching Nintendo videos. You know YT analytics and all that. I always love it when that happens because you find the best treasures.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2021, 05:10 PM   #23  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Stacey I pm'ed you back-did you get it? It is a whole set of 6 different tabs if you want them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2023, 10:54 PM   #24  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bzzzeeeView Post
Hi Stacy, I have the original SU punch and would be willing to sell it, but I’m hopeless with technology and figuring out how to sell online!!
A total shot in the dark here,, but I don't suppose you still have this and would be willing to sell it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2023, 12:02 AM   #25  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sorry to hear that you had a negative experience with the tab punch you purchased. I also faced it once. Without knowing the specific punch you were referring to, it's difficult for me to recommend a specific alternative. However, there are many different brands and types of punches available on the market, so it may be worth doing some research and reading reviews before purchasing a new one. You could also try asking for recommendations from other crafting enthusiasts in online forums or social media groups. Additionally, some craft stores may allow you to test out punches before purchasing, which could help ensure that you find one that works well for your needs.
Reply With Quote Likes