Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-02-2021, 12:07 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Best die-cuttng machines

I took apart my old Big Shot, intending to fix the rollers, but by the time i got a zillion nuts and bolts and screws scattered on the table, and the parts all disassembled, I realized my arthritic fingers were a hazard not for the job of reassembling the machine even if I could follow the online instructions to fix it. So I bought a new Big Shot. Amazon delivered it in 2 days. I fiddled with many different dies, failing at getting even one to cut right. So I got with Amazon and today I had a new Big Shot. Problem is, it is exactly like the ione I'm returning.. The rollers are obviously the problem, turning an inch or so and clanking then moving a bit more, a VERY rough ride that takes a whole lot of muscle. If I use fewer shims, it doesn't take alot of muscle but it also doesn't cut the die. Do you have a favorite die-cutting machine? I'm done with Big Shot.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2021, 04:42 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,852 Posts

I have a Spellbinders Platinum 6 machine that is very easy to turn and my dies cut cleanly. Mine is a Fun Stampers Journey model, but it is the same machine. My daughter has the Platinum and she said it is harder to crank than my Platinum 6. My Big Shot Plus works fine with cutting dies, but sometime I just want to use a smaller machine.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.
Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Virtual Stamp Night April 19 - 20 Come Join in the Fun Here

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2021, 12:26 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

I use a Gemini jr. it’s a little noisy compared to a crank machine, but cuts very well. I decided to try this machine when my mom wanted my big shot (hers broke). I wanted to try something without a crank on the side since that would help with my craft space.

One of the complaints you might hear about this machine is the cost of replacing the cutting plates. However, if you purchase an ‘I crafter’ plate and cut into that, your original plates just become part of the sandwich - problem solved! It’s self-healing, so I don’t expect to need to purchase plates ever again.

Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
Bahb (07-14-2021)
Old 06-11-2021, 01:36 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

I love my Gemini Jr electronic machine. I did purchase the iCrafter plate, and I'm on my second plate. They do protect the clear plates, but in time they also warp. I turn and rotate my plates after EVERY cut, but they still warp. My machine is used daily, so it gets a LOT of use. But I highly recommend the Gemini Jr...
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2021, 08:52 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac4551View Post
I love my Gemini Jr electronic machine. I did purchase the iCrafter plate, and I'm on my second plate. They do protect the clear plates, but in time they also warp. I turn and rotate my plates after EVERY cut, but they still warp. My machine is used daily, so it gets a LOT of use. But I highly recommend the Gemini Jr...

Thanks for that suggestion. It's on my wish list.  I am looking for a User of the Stampin' Up machine to hear about that one, too.  I bought the whole set of T. Holtz 3D embossing folders but he recommends using only 3  machines and I've already had my fill of those 3. I'm dying to use the folders but scared to try them on my Platinum I'm returning because it has broken rollers, I think.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2021, 07:28 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac4551View Post

I think I am going to end up with the Gemini.  It's on sale 10 percent off at ellenhutson.com tomorrow.  Look on You Tube where Jennifer McGuire tells how to stop the warping of plates by taping certain ones together.  Have you put  any 3D Embossing Folders through your Gemini?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2021, 07:37 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

I had a  Platinum, VERY hard to crank and so huge!  Though it could acomodate ALL my sentiment dies at once, 9 sets,  it never cut the  centers of any of the sentiments.  I returned it.  The Spellbinders folks are wonderful, and they have new Platinum6 and Platinum coming out in August or September.  Hopefully they will have newly designed rollers.  Big Shot has newly redesigned their rollers and i suspect it is because there are so many different demands on the rollers having to handle MANY different thicknesses of sandwiches.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2021, 04:21 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

Yes, I do use 3D folders in my Gemini Jr...  you just have to use 'less' in your sandwich...

John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
fl_beachbum (07-16-2021)
Old 01-19-2022, 03:39 PM   #9  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are your thoughts on the Joy or the Scan and Cut for cutting out stamped images rather than buying all the matching die cuts? I recently read a couple people saying that they were doing that rather than purchasing the spendy matching dies.

Thank you in advance for your input and suggestions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2022, 05:19 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

I believe there is a long running thread about the scan n cut in the Tools area of the forum. Hopefully there is info in there to help you..

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2022, 03:28 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasroseView Post
What are your thoughts on the Joy or the Scan and Cut for cutting out stamped images rather than buying all the matching die cuts? I recently read a couple people saying that they were doing that rather than purchasing the spendy matching dies.

Thank you in advance for your input and suggestions.
I have a Silhouette Portrait that I use with a Pixscan mat. It takes a little practice to get the hang of it, but once you do, it works really well.
Reply With Quote Likes
fl_beachbum (01-20-2022)
Old 01-24-2022, 12:55 PM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you! Now does anyone have the Joy and what are the differences between the two? In what way is one better than the other? Thank you again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2023, 01:08 PM   #13  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got the big Gemini from Amazon after my Cricut broke. I also found it hard to use the crank because of my arthritis Love this machine, so easy and fun to use!
Reply With Quote Likes