Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-22-2021, 01:47 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts
Default So happy I shopped my stash!

We have all heard shop your stash, but today I finally took that advice and I am so excited. I was planning to purchase the Hero Arts January 2020 kit last year, but could not place the order when I first saw the kit. When I returned to make my purchase the kit was sold out. I was exited to hear Hero was going to re-release the stamps and dies, but dismayed when I finally saw the price of those items. I decided it was time to let it go.... and then it hit me. I should go dig through my stamp and die inventory and see what I have that is similar to the items in the kit.

I had something similar for almost every single stamp and die in the kit. The only item I didn't have was the flower wrap die. Within 3 minutes I was able to cut my own flower wrap pattern. I will have saved over $50 and I don't need to wait until mid-February when the items will be available for purchase. I like some of my flowers and the fonts of stamps that I have more than the ones in the kit. I am so glad I was frustrated into having an ah-ha moment. Now I can make my cards and have $50 extra dollars in my pocket.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2021, 02:27 PM   #2  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,378 Likes on 513 Posts

Score! It is so much fun to shop your own stash, isn't it? I think it makes us even more creative, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2021, 02:36 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Woohoo! I love a good money saving story!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2021, 04:15 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Congratulations! Saving money is always good. I often talk myself out of buying when I convince myself I have something similar already. Kits are tough because I really don't need any paper (or glittert) but often want a stamp or die you have buy the kit for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2021, 04:19 PM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

So far this year I have been shopping my stash when it comes to scrapping...I love seeing all the paper collections I bought last year and beyond. I still love all my stash, now I am spending time using it!
It is time to restock my supply of cards for the year too! More stash diving!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2021, 05:47 PM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Yay! I love this kind of story! Good on you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2021, 03:28 AM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 587 Likes on 240 Posts

We are in the process of moving so, little by little, the craft room is getting sorted and boxed. I found the perfect journal I've been shopping for on a closet shelf. Every day is like a treasure hunt in there!
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2021, 06:55 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

One SCS stamper that I follow ('cause she makes such lovely CAS cards!) is fellow Dirty Girl whoistracy. She has been making cards where she does just what you mention...she calls it "Fake it (then make it)". She's tagged those on her blog...but she is also using the keyword "FiTMi" in her uploads here on SCS. In both places she shares what stamps/dies she saw, how she used stuff from her stash, and how much she saved by not buying new stuff. ($$$!!)
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2021, 06:59 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks so much for sharing, Diane. That sounds SO fun. I can't wait to check her out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2021, 09:57 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
One SCS stamper that I follow ('cause she makes such lovely CAS cards!) is fellow Dirty Girl whoistracy. She has been making cards where she does just what you mention...she calls it "Fake it (then make it)". She's tagged those on her blog...but she is also using the keyword "FiTMi" in her uploads here on SCS. In both places she shares what stamps/dies she saw, how she used stuff from her stash, and how much she saved by not buying new stuff. ($$$!!)
I just took a look at her gallery and then had to zip on over to her blog because her cards are GORGEOUS! I'm already impressed with her take on some of the new products. Who needs new when you can shop your stash. Using what I already have is also a plus, because then I can justify what I already bought years ago.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2021, 09:59 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Ooops. this posted twice but I can't delete it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2021, 05:21 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

In Dec I had no mojo...didn't even want to make Christmas cards. At the beginning of Jan I decided I had so much stuff that I was going on a self imposed spending freeze and was going to either use it up or lose it to the second hand store. That decision jump started my mojo and I have been down in the craft room and creating every day. I send out the birthday cards for my church (approx 500 per year) and I can tell you that I am pretty well stocked up for the next few months. It has been a joy to use up older DSP and make some really nice cards along with letting some go that I knew I would never use or didn't like. Now it doesn't feel like a chore and I am enjoying my time creating again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2021, 09:17 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Just had to mention that I recently saw a challenge to make cards with a gnome theme. I knew I had at least one stamp set (a really, really old one) with a gnome, so I pulled it out. In the process, I found FIVE gnome sets in my stash! I didn't even know I had most of them. It was like going on a shopping spree and I had a blast whipping up a batch of gnome cards for Christmas and birthdays.
Shopping my stash is a win/win because it makes me feel happy to use the items that I spent $$$ on, and it reduces my stash. I almost never toss anything, and my usual donation sources are closed due to COVID. I'm not one for needing the latest and greatest anyway, but it was funny that gnomes are a popular theme right now, and there they were in my stamp collection.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2021, 02:22 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lutheranView Post
We are in the process of moving so, little by little, the craft room is getting sorted and boxed. I found the perfect journal I've been shopping for on a closet shelf. Every day is like a treasure hunt in there!
Mary Beth
OMG Mary Beth, Good Luck! My husband and I just moved everything into storage while our new place is built. Aside from furniture, a third of the stuff moved probably came from my craft room. What a chore! I'm almost embarassed. (Almost). But, I will definitely be purging out at least half of my craft stuff once we get moved in. Things happened so quickly for us so I didn't have time to go through much beforehand.

Instagram: @jacqueline_worksforstamps
Blog: Works For Stamps

Come join the TEAparty every Tuesday! Click here for details.

"Stamping is an addiction & therapy rolled into one"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2021, 05:46 AM   #15  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 56 Likes on 16 Posts

I have an alphabetical list with pictures of every stamp set I own. Whenever the new Stampin Up Catalog comes out I go through and list every set I am interested in. Then I go through my binders of photos to see what I have that is similar to the new listings. I mark the name of the similar older set in the catalog. Then I wait at least two weeks. If I still want the new set I write on a wish list and order slowly.
I created this alphabetical list after discovering I had bought the same set twice(actually did this for 10 different sets) I also highlight the name of the set in the catalog showing I have already purchased.
Has saved me tons of money.
Having this inventory also showed me how the stamp companies will release a "new set" which is almost the same as an older set just tweaked enough to appear different. Helps me be satisfied with what I already have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2021, 06:01 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazekaView Post
Just had to mention that I recently saw a challenge to make cards with a gnome theme. I knew I had at least one stamp set (a really, really old one) with a gnome, so I pulled it out. In the process, I found FIVE gnome sets in my stash! I didn't even know I had most of them. It was like going on a shopping spree and I had a blast whipping up a batch of gnome cards for Christmas and birthdays.
Shopping my stash is a win/win because it makes me feel happy to use the items that I spent $$$ on, and it reduces my stash. I almost never toss anything, and my usual donation sources are closed due to COVID. I'm not one for needing the latest and greatest anyway, but it was funny that gnomes are a popular theme right now, and there they were in my stamp collection.
Karen
This used to me! What has saved me this past year is creating a catalogue of my crafting supplies (stamps, dies, stencils); I am using Airtable (thanks Lydia aka Understanding Blue for your tutorial!). Now I know that I have 12 stamp sets with snowflakes (and alas no stamp sets with gnomes!). I will admit that it takes time to get everything into the Airtable, but now anything new (which is pretty rare now) is automatically entered.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2021, 07:52 AM   #17  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the link to Tracy's gallery!! I found some very cute cards that I will be casing with substitutions of papers and stamps from my stash!!

Therese
www.tmalakart.blogspot.ca

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2021, 11:16 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you Diane for the mention and to everyone who's stopped by my blog! I always WANT and NEED the newest items that come out but it's hard to convince myself to click "buy" most of the time. I've always loved shopping my stash, but last year I took it to a new level by trying to use my stash to get the same looks the companies were using with their new stuff. And it worked! It's definitely saved me a lot of money and I've given new life to my older product which has been really fun.

It's also really helped me look differently at the products companies are releasing. I haven't made a crafty purchase in about a year which hasn't kept me from creating though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2021, 12:25 PM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 290 Likes on 192 Posts

Whoistracy - I keep getting an error message when I click on the link to your blog. It also happened when I typed in whoistracy.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2021, 02:44 PM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,712 Likes on 1,837 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJBstamper2View Post
Whoistracy - I keep getting an error message when I click on the link to your blog. It also happened when I typed in whoistracy.com
Here is her blog link: https://www.whoistracy.com/myhead/

Her blog post took me right to her blog with no errors. She has a fun blog.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.
Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Virtual Stamp Night April 19 - 20 Come Join in the Fun Here

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2021, 06:46 PM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 290 Likes on 192 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovinpaperView Post
Here is her blog link: https://www.whoistracy.com/myhead/

Her blog post took me right to her blog with no errors. She has a fun blog.
That link worked - thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2021, 05:51 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

I did something like Tracy back about 4 years ago. I did Casing the Catty when the new SU catalog came out. I think it's time to start doing that again. I did it for a whole month and they are all in my gallery.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2021, 06:24 AM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,712 Likes on 1,837 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by justampinView Post
I did something like Tracy back about 4 years ago. I did Casing the Catty when the new SU catalog came out. I think it's time to start doing that again. I did it for a whole month and they are all in my gallery.
I went through your gallery and found the cards you talked about. Then I went to your old blog and read all of them. I loved what your did! No, sorry, I didn't comment, but read each and every one. I would love to see you do this again. Someone else did this a couple of years ago and she posted each link to her blog when she did this. I think it was a couple of years ago and I read each of her posts. I own a lot of stamps from various companies. I am always looking for ways to use what I have. I own a lot of SU catalogs and rarely use them like you did, for using your stash to make a similar card. Thanks for the inspiration!
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.
Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Virtual Stamp Night April 19 - 20 Come Join in the Fun Here

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2021, 08:46 PM   #24  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 186 Likes on 88 Posts

I find this whole thread very inspirational.
while I have been buying fewer stamps lately, I’ve been on a paper pad buying binge. I have actually been making lots of cards, and using stamps that I already have to compliment the papers.
Now I need to go check out the link posted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2021, 08:49 PM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithaneView Post
I find this whole thread very inspirational.
while I have been buying fewer stamps lately, I’ve been on a paper pad buying binge. I have actually been making lots of cards, and using stamps that I already have to compliment the papers.
Now I need to go check out the link posted.
I say if you're making lots of cards, you're doing great! My problem was when I kept getting more stamps and papers, and NOT making any cards, argh.

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes