Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-19-2020, 05:35 AM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 458 Likes on 305 Posts
Question Fixing a "chip" in Paper Laminate desk?

Good morning, all! I wasn't sure exactly where best to ask this, but I did a big oops the day before last with my crafting desk (which has also now become my work from home desk) - I placed a piece of scotch tape near the edge of it as a temporary holding spot while I folded what I was going to secure with it, and when I ripped it off a few seconds to perhaps a couple minutes later, it took a portion of the paper laminate "wood" with it.

I kept the piece of tape with the paper laminate stuck to it, but I'm not sure how best to go about fixing this eyesore or, at the very least, making it look less displeasing. It's bothering me like nothing else. I like neat and clean and organized, and now I have this nearly 1" by approximately 1/2" white patch of ugliness glaring at me alllllll day every day and I'm going nuts!

I look forward to your suggestions!

Warmly,
Chrissy
Jeremiah 29:11
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni | Proud FanClub member since 2017
My
Gallery
| My Blog
"The wind of Heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears."
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2020, 05:59 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I doubt it would stick if you tried to re-adhere the whole piece of tape with the laminate still on it.  However, if you can fit it into place you might be able to trim it carefully and then glue it down......really, really well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2020, 06:27 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts

If you have Un-du you could use it to separate the paper from the tape, then glue the paper back in place. If it  makes you feel any better (doubtful), I did the same thing. I just used a black marker to color the white so it was less noticeable. Who knew these things were so fragile? I guess you get what you pay for, and these desks were cheap. Just another word of caution: don't put anything with moisture directly on the surface, either. It will cause the paper to bubble up and you'll have another eyesore. Fortunately, the bubbling did go down as it dried, but I'm more careful now. I bought a Tim Holtz glass mat to put on my desk so I wouldn't have to worry so much. It has made a big difference!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2020, 09:06 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Thank you both!!!

Sue, I haven't heard of that product before (Un-Du), but will have a look for it.  

I've been careful about not getting it wet, also, and am rather ticked at myself for this stupid move. Especially since this one has that rather pretty "woodgrain" print on it that's actually quite believable.  Or was. Argh!  LOL  

I am wondering if I can find one of those wood markers in a similar color to it, as the desk is a real "light stain" wood color, and everything I have for markers isn't even close to that shade nor tone. 

My
Gallery
| My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2020, 09:46 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have any Stazon inks on hand?  Brown, purple and orange? My situation is not the same as yours but might be helpful.  I ordered a pair of ballet slipper type summer shoes, thought I was getting a tan color, turned out to be rose gold, and maybe for the younger set that would be lovely, but not for this old fart, lol.  Anyway, I used that combination of Stazon inks to get a decent shade of brown.  And a dab of polyurethane over top should seal it I would think.  (Best of luck!  I managed to stain a nearly new dining room table with alcohol inks ... Argh!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2020, 11:14 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

My computer desk has the same issues.  But not only did scotch tape take some of the "wood" off...so does my arm where it rubs on the edges.

If I really wanted to fix it I think I would try copics in matching colors.  At least it would be less obvious. 
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2020, 12:00 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
My computer desk has the same issues.  But not only did scotch tape take some of the "wood" off...so does my arm where it rubs on the edges.

If I really wanted to fix it I think I would try copics in matching colors.  At least it would be less obvious. 

I've used my alcohol markers (Spectrums, Prismas and Bics) to "stain" any number of things, lol. Amazing what you can camouflage... I would test on cardstock to find which color/combination matches best if you go that route.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2020, 06:13 PM   #8  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Once you fix that boo-boo...

If you can, get a piece of clear acrylic cut to cover the whole surface. Cheaper, lighter and safer than glass. You might even be able to order it online to have it shipped to you. Clean and easy. 

I think this place will ship. 

https://www.ttplasticland.com/

Or a faster inexpensive way is to get a heavy clear shower curtain liner and use it like a table cloth you cut down to size. Might get two out of one depending on your table size. Do not attach it to the table directly to tighten it if you want to-tape to itself at the corners. Use clear packing tape. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2020, 06:57 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Thank you, everyone!  I truly appreciate all the ideas!  I think to start, I'll get out my alcohol markers and see if I have anything close (and if not, watch the Hobby Lobby ad 'til they go on sale again to pick up some that will ).  
My
Gallery
| My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2020, 02:43 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by DancesWithHoovesView Post
Thank you both!!!

Sue, I haven't heard of that product before (Un-Du), but will have a look for it.  

If you have a dolllar tree you might find a small bottle of undo there.   I use it to remove stickers from books that we purchase. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2020, 11:42 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Cool

Great tip to try the Dollar Tree!  I'll keep that in mind next time I'm in that part of town and look if their parking lot isn't too busy.

I did experiment with my alcohol markers this weekend and unfortunately I probably don't have an excuse to go buy more markers as the end result is pretty believable and I bet someone else in the room wouldn't even notice the patch unless they looked close!   Now I'll have to "seal" it to make it smooth. 

Thank you all SO much for your awesome suggestions!

Hugs,
Chrissy
My
Gallery
| My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2020, 02:34 PM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Once you fix that boo-boo...

If you can, get a piece of clear acrylic cut to cover the whole surface. Cheaper, lighter and safer than glass. You might even be able to order it online to have it shipped to you. Clean and easy. 

I think this place will ship. 

https://www.ttplasticland.com/

Or a faster inexpensive way is to get a heavy clear shower curtain liner and use it like a table cloth you cut down to size. Might get two out of one depending on your table size. Do not attach it to the table directly to tighten it if you want to-tape to itself at the corners. Use clear packing tape. 

I agree... For one of my work tables, I picked up a small drop cloth from the hardware store and a clear shower curtain from the 99 cent store. 
Dollar Store shower curtains are not as heavy. 
I used small vise grips from the Dollar store as well to pinch the layers to the table in all four corners. The front grips work out great for hanging items.
I'm pleased with the surface and it cleans up nicely with alcohol. 

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2020, 02:42 PM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

As for a desk I would recover it. Give the top a light sanding, and repaint it a fun, lively color... cover with contact paper... add another layer of wood, tile, etc...

Reply With Quote Likes