Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-03-2020, 11:38 AM   #41  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireworkView Post
I can't live without having images on the stamps themselves. Another obstacle for me.
That's what I thought too, but it's easier than it seems. Even if you have a handful of them together. As long as you have a reference card and you don't have too many in a group, it isn't hard to find the one you're after.
And if you trim the stamp pretty close to the actual image, as you're stamping, you can use the silouette to guide you.
Also, when I started this process I started with my background stamps. A dear friend came and helped pull them off their blocks and foam. Then we used the ATOO on the back of the stamp and I put them on page protectors with a cardboard inside the page to give it some stability. These are stored in a ring binder. I hate the boogers that ATOO leaves on my stamping platform and one of these days I'll be removing it from the stamps and storing them in a different way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2020, 12:04 PM   #42  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaniebean55View Post
That's what I thought too, but it's easier than it seems. Even if you have a handful of them together. As long as you have a reference card and you don't have too many in a group, it isn't hard to find the one you're after.
And if you trim the stamp pretty close to the actual image, as you're stamping, you can use the silouette to guide you.
Also, when I started this process I started with my background stamps. A dear friend came and helped pull them off their blocks and foam. Then we used the ATOO on the back of the stamp and I put them on page protectors with a cardboard inside the page to give it some stability. These are stored in a ring binder. I hate the boogers that ATOO leaves on my stamping platform and one of these days I'll be removing it from the stamps and storing them in a different way.
I'm taking the stickers off the blocks and using those.
OR stamping the image on the vinyl and heat setting it, depending on if I can get the image off the block in one piece. Takes a long time to dry though when I use the sticker image under the vinyl.

What is ATOO?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2020, 12:33 PM   #43  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry, thought somewhere earlier in the thread it was connected, ATOO is Aileen's Tack it Over and Over.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2020, 12:40 PM   #44  
Chat Box Hippy Chick

Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts

just a note too about using the microwave - I used my heat tool to warm the adhesive, then I didn't need to go to the kitchen with all the stamps ;)

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2020, 12:53 PM   #45  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaniebean55View Post
Sorry, thought somewhere earlier in the thread it was connected, ATOO is Aileen's Tack it Over and Over.
Yes, it has been mentioned and I figured I should know what ATOO is but did not connect the two, so thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2020, 12:54 PM   #46  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by leibettyView Post
just a note too about using the microwave - I used my heat tool to warm the adhesive, then I didn't need to go to the kitchen with all the stamps ;)
That's what I'm doing too, using heat tool. Quicker and easier.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2020, 01:14 PM   #47  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 4,278 Likes on 1,362 Posts

I have just unmounted all of my wood block stamps and am so thankful I did! They take SOOOO much less space now and I can use them with my Misti. Most of my stamps were SU brand and the foam came off nicely with the rubber stamp. The image sticker came off fairly well too and I used the Aleen's Tack It Over and Over on the back. I do live in a dry climate.

As for storage, I have followed Jennifer McGuire's system of keeping them in storage pockets with card stock inside.

I was hesitant to start this project but am so glad I did!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2020, 01:24 PM   #48  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithaneView Post
I started switching over, but got sidetracked and never finished. I was advised to use the Aileens Tack it Over and Over. It works well. I think I mixed it with water.
Then I mailed a bunch of plastic boxes to someone here on Splitcoast. Sadly,I saved the wood blocks to craft with them. I used four of them. Threw one in my sister’s compost heap to see if it would decompose. She said it was still there last time she turned it. I really need to get rid of them, but it kills me to just throw them in the trash.
I really need to finish the project, but it’s kind of boring, and there’s other things I’d rather be doing.
I saved mine also and what I did was put foam tape all over the back of a bookcase and stuck the empty blocks (with the pretty designs on front ) in a mosaic design. Looks great and I feel better about not just tossing them
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2020, 01:35 PM   #49  
Matboard Maniac

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

It is a lot of work to unmount your stamps, but you will be amazed at how much room you will have!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2020, 02:14 PM   #50  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kristy TyraView Post
It is a lot of work to unmount your stamps, but you will be amazed at how much room you will have!
That is what I am hoping for.
Except for all the space I will have after this...what to fill that space with?
*snicker*

It is going much smoother and quicker today. YAY!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2020, 05:50 PM   #51  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Firework;21957396]I will have a ton of wood blocks when all is said and done and was wondering what to do with them as well. One of the things I need to consider before making the switch.
I am not looking forward to switching over but space is telling me it's time. I have been downsizing already as far as separating what I want to keep and what I want to let go but I have SO much stuff it needs to be done and now is the time to get it done. Interesting about the block in the compost. Maybe use for fire starter if you camp or have a wood stove for heat...? No idea.[/QUOTE

I actually sold my hardwood blocks on a FB
garage sale site for $20.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2020, 03:21 AM   #52  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireworkView Post
The video I am currently watching says 30 seconds but I imagine the smaller the block the less time needed. I have done that to reposition a stamp or two that were way off alignment. The video I am watching also shows the person using her heat tool to heat the stamp. That is a good idea as well.
Thanks for the reminder and telling how you use the microwave to be able to do this.
The heat tool will shrink the foam on the back which will cause it to be uneven for stamping... I find most older stamps on blocks will peel off if I gently pry them around the edges with my fingernails.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2020, 08:12 AM   #53  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by hairemView Post
The heat tool will shrink the foam on the back which will cause it to be uneven for stamping... I find most older stamps on blocks will peel off if I gently pry them around the edges with my fingernails.
Yes, it does seem to so only using when I have to if the foam is not easily peeling from the block and only for a couple seconds. Even those couple seconds seems to help and I keep it moving around the stamp so as not to shrink the foam, or not too much anyway. Thanks for confirming what I had seen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2020, 11:08 AM   #54  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithaneView Post
Yes! I peeled them off of the wood blocks. Most of the stickiness stayed on the sticker, so I put it on the gray side. (the cushion) . Then I cut it to fit so there was no hangover.
Then I applied the tack it over and over to the top of the sticker.
That’s how I do it too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2020, 04:46 PM   #55  
Cardstock Collector

If you are using the cushion the easiest way to cut it is a hot knife. It's an exacto type knife that heats up. cuts through the cushion like butter and you can get very close to the rubber
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2020, 04:49 PM   #56  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by debableView Post
I use Pinterest to catalog my supplies. Then I have easy access to it.
Wow...how do you do that on Pinterest?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2020, 05:04 PM   #57  
Insane Embellisher

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Dear Firework: bare rubber is fine if you keep a mouse pad around to use under them. I have a few stamps like this, as the foam between the wood and stamps disintegrated on some of my old stamps that I unmounted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2020, 06:31 PM   #58  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamps4funGinView Post
Dear Firework: bare rubber is fine if you keep a mouse pad around to use under them. I have a few stamps like this, as the foam between the wood and stamps disintegrated on some of my old stamps that I unmounted.
Thanks for that info. It's good to know. I have never used a rubber stamp without the cushion, not sure I'd like it but I do have lots of photopolymer and figured they were similar to stamp in that regard. Not sure how long foam lasts but some are coming apart and was trying to decide if I wanted to replace the foam or just leave it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2020, 06:32 PM   #59  
Rubber Obsessor

On another note, I got my stuftainers today. LOVE them. I think I will really love having same type stamps together and less searching, more stamping. So YAY!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2020, 10:11 AM   #60  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I unmounted all my wood mount stamps down the the bare rubber. Bought a couple clear stamping mounts from Purple Onion. This sticks on my misti and the red rubber stamps stick to the other side so I can stamp. I keep my stamp sets in Totally Tiffany files with the picture of the stamps and keep them in alpha order.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2020, 07:51 AM   #61  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this question is a variation on your theme, and I am sure there is thread here somewhere, and I will be happily redirected as I don't want to hijack....and now the question.....I am seriously considering taking apart my SU sets and getting birthday with birthday and sayings with sayings and sorry with sorry and thank you with thank you etc. Surely someone has done this. was it a good move? I have no intention of reselling my (way too many) sets and I have stopped buying stuff becasue I have enough for two lifetimes... HELP!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2020, 10:15 AM   #62  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badger53186View Post
this question is a variation on your theme, and I am sure there is thread here somewhere, and I will be happily redirected as I don't want to hijack....and now the question.....I am seriously considering taking apart my SU sets and getting birthday with birthday and sayings with sayings and sorry with sorry and thank you with thank you etc. Surely someone has done this. was it a good move? I have no intention of reselling my (way too many) sets and I have stopped buying stuff becasue I have enough for two lifetimes... HELP!
YES! I did this years ago and no regrets. It did simplify so much. I only bought wood mount so used shoe box size=ish totes to be able to put all thank you stamps together, etc. Now at the point they are not fitting in the totes so still having to search for similar sentiments, etc. Plus businesses have been moving more and more toward bare rubber and clear which is why I finally decided to get rid of the blocks. Tired of having totes here and there, searching for what I need and want to use. Wood in totes and others in boxes. Tired of not having the same things together for easy access. So just made the decision to make the switch. I have gotten about 5 totes done so far. It was slow at first but I think I found my groove on the process so it's going a little quicker now. I will say I have bigger totes of flowers than I did of sentiments so those will take longer and I may keep some on the wood, we'll see.
Reply With Quote Likes