Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-25-2019, 07:52 AM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question When does one stash get to be "too much"?

Hi Everyone! I wanted to start an open, fun and positive conversation about our love for stamps. And perhaps this is a bit of confession for myself too.

I SIMPLY ADORE STAMPS.

There are specific brands that I enjoy buying and using their product. I also believe I should have a good assortment of stamps on hand as I like to papercraft in a variety of genres and occasions.

Currently I have stamp sets in my craftroom as well a lot that are in storage totes, bins and boxes outside of my craftroom. Would love to house them all in one space but at this time my space does not warrant that.

So when does one stamp collection get to be "too much to handle"?

Would love to know what you think?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2019, 08:19 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think everyone's idea of "too much to handle" is different. I know that when I was younger, I was great at accumulating stuff of all kinds. As I've gotten older, I've found that clutter stresses me, and so I've come to the other end of the spectrum, and I'm trying to seriously decrease the amount of "stuff" of all kinds that I have. It feels like a weight off my shoulders when I let things go. Getting rid of craft items is probably the most difficult for me, so I keep reminding myself of how frustrated I get when I can't find something I know I have, because there's just too much stuff!!! I try to imagine how good it will feel when everything is pared down and organized. I'm not there yet, it's a work in progress. Slooooow progress. :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2019, 08:41 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

So, if we're doing "true confessions" I will have to tell my tale of where I'm currently sitting on this issue...

I started to go through each of my stamps and got rid of those that I knew I would never use (which meant breaking up sets, which I'm fine with) and there were A LOT that got moved out "into the flow".

I realize that my style of stamping and what kinds of things I tend to make has morphed significantly over the years and much of what is left may or may not fit into the "new me" category. That being said, there are a number of stamps that I am putting in a "wait and see" area until I actually use them and decide how much joy they bring me (KonMari reference).

I still have more than I can easily keep track of (especially sentiments), so everything is indexed. "Too much to handle", in my world, means anything that is causing stress or anxiety, rather than enjoyment...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2019, 08:55 AM   #4  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,386 Likes on 517 Posts

For me, "too much to handle" would be if I did not have room for my craft stuff. It would also be similar to Sue in that if it causes stress rather than enjoyment, it's too much! I have a personal rule of not buying anything if I don't know exactly where it would go in my home and how I would use it. If I can answer those two questions, then I ask myself if it fulfills a need or a want and would I care a week from now if I did not own it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2019, 08:59 AM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueramblerView Post
I think everyone's idea of "too much to handle" is different. I know that when I was younger, I was great at accumulating stuff of all kinds. As I've gotten older, I've found that clutter stresses me, and so I've come to the other end of the spectrum, and I'm trying to seriously decrease the amount of "stuff" of all kinds that I have. It feels like a weight off my shoulders when I let things go. Getting rid of craft items is probably the most difficult for me, so I keep reminding myself of how frustrated I get when I can't find something I know I have, because there's just too much stuff!!! I try to imagine how good it will feel when everything is pared down and organized. I'm not there yet, it's a work in progress. Slooooow progress. :lol:
I can relate to the paring down and clutter. It drives me insane to see visual clutter in my home including my craftroom. And although my home and closets are pretty minimal; I do add in stamps. It makes me happy to buy something that I will use. My purchases are not based on a new release or having the latest and greatest; I do buy what I love and use the products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2019, 09:11 AM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

Idea

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
So, if we're doing "true confessions" I will have to tell my tale of where I'm currently sitting on this issue...

I started to go through each of my stamps and got rid of those that I knew I would never use (which meant breaking up sets, which I'm fine with) and there were A LOT that got moved out "into the flow".

I realize that my style of stamping and what kinds of things I tend to make has morphed significantly over the years and much of what is left may or may not fit into the "new me" category. That being said, there are a number of stamps that I am putting in a "wait and see" area until I actually use them and decide how much joy they bring me (KonMari reference).

I still have more than I can easily keep track of (especially sentiments), so everything is indexed. "Too much to handle", in my world, means anything that is causing stress or anxiety, rather than enjoyment...
You are much more courageous than me when it comes to breaking up sets. Other than pure sentiment stamp sets; I bear the thought to sort each stamp individually. There is something to think about here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2019, 10:21 AM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

For me “too much to handle” relates to two things.

#1 is use. If I won’t be using it but want to keep it, then I’m a collector and a maker, not just a maker.

That’s great for some, just not me. Clutter is anything I won’t be using or don’t love, whether it cost $1.00 or $1000.00. That goes for anything, not just craft supplies.

#2 is space. Some supplies have homes (bin, drawer), and if there are too many for the home something has to leave. No arguments!

I’m not a minimalist, but stuff that I don’t/won’t use or don’t love clutters and unfocuses my brain. OTOH I have a friend who just unearthed over 100 jars of embossing powder in her craft room - that she’s been decluttering with an organizing professional. The powder is no longer manufactured and she has never used even one. She’s excited about that and I’d love to see them! Just not take any home. Well, maybe if there’s a copper. ;)

I think we just have to know what makes us feel best, and it doesn’t matter what anyone else is doing.

Beth

Last edited by bjeans; 01-25-2019 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: spacing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2019, 10:43 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it depends on personality. If you have scarcity personality it probably feels like too much a lot sooner than a person with an abundance personality. Many people probably fall somewhere in between. If things are spilling out the door, the budget is out of whack and/or your partner in life is irritated it might be time to cut back. Last year I started feeling uncomfortable about my spending and the large amount of time I was holed up in my craft area so I purged and cut my buying by about two thirds. I added back three other old hobbies that are cheaper and family and friends get more benefits from, vegetable gardening and preserving in the summer and sourdough baking in the winter. I tend to fall on the abundance side so I had to find some subs for my crafting habit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2019, 11:04 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When just walking into your craft room is so overwhelming that you have to turn around and walk back out (true story.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2019, 11:53 AM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnsteeleView Post
For me, "too much to handle" would be if I did not have room for my craft stuff. It would also be similar to Sue in that if it causes stress rather than enjoyment, it's too much! I have a personal rule of not buying anything if I don't know exactly where it would go in my home and how I would use it. If I can answer those two questions, then I ask myself if it fulfills a need or a want and would I care a week from now if I did not own it.

This! Only I don't have room in my craft room for me! I don't have room to store everything properly, it's a borderline Hoarders Episode. I have a pathway from the door to the window so my cat can get to her window seat with ease.

I have all kinds of stuff in my room (jewelry-making, sewing, painting, etc.) This past weekend I made the decision to start clearing it up by going through all my stamps and getting rid of the ones that don't bring me joy (another KonMari reference). The way I currently have them organized absolutely doesn't work, I can't find what I want when I want it and I'm finding doubles. smh

I tried using Evernote a while ago but that system doesn't do it for me. I've decided to use a plain and simple index binder of my stamps; time-consuming but it truly is making me go through each and every one and really think "will I ever use this (again)". I of course started on the easy stamps, the ones I KNOW I'll be keeping, lol. I expect it to get harder when I get past them to the others, which I guess should be an indicator right there!

I've been pretty good with your 2 questions for over a year now and haven't bought that many new stamps so we'll see how it goes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2019, 12:19 PM   #11  
Crimping Master

I agree with people who say if it makes you uncomfortable than consider a change. If I had an unlimited budget and a whole room to myself instead of one wall of a shared office space I'd be fine with filling it ceiling to floor. I was also spending too much time being a craft hermit and that was my main reason for cutting back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2019, 12:38 PM   #12  
Inking Addict

I LOVE stamps too! I also love buying stamps and dies. I have room for more providing I continue to use my storage system and don’t go overboard. However I recently realized that I have sets that I’ve never even used, or only made one card with the set. That’s pretty expensive if a set is $80 or more (some Stampin Up bundles). So I decided that I wouldn’t buy any stamps or dies this year at all and would use what I have. So far I’ve made eight cards with a set I received for Christmas, and have more ideas. Then I thought that I’d work my way through many of the sets I have. However I am yearning to buy a stamp set that I just saw already and it’s only January 25th! It’s only $8, but shipping is $10. I’ll try not to give in and will wait At least a month. Wonder if I’ll make it? It’s so cute.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2019, 12:41 PM   #13  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laura339View Post
I LOVE stamps too! I also love buying stamps and dies. I have room for more providing I continue to use my storage system and don’t go overboard. However I recently realized that I have sets that I’ve never even used, or only made one card with the set. That’s pretty expensive if a set is $80 or more (some Stampin Up bundles). So I decided that I wouldn’t buy any stamps or dies this year at all and would use what I have. So far I’ve made eight cards with a set I received for Christmas, and have more ideas. Then I thought that I’d work my way through many of the sets I have. However I am yearning to buy a stamp set that I just saw already and it’s only January 25th! It’s only $8, but shipping is $10. I’ll try not to give in and will wait At least a month. Wonder if I’ll make it? It’s so cute.
LOL I know how that goes. I had to unsub a lot of blogs to stay on track. I like the idea of using the unused. That's working for me right now too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2019, 12:57 PM   #14  
Inking Addict

Right Mary, I watch a lot of YouTube videos for inspiration and tips, but I find myself getting irritated at all the new sets they use and obviously want us to buy. I realize that stamp companies need to keep making and selling their products, but I sometimes feel like I’m being bombarded with new stuff and to buy, buy, buy. I’m trying not to watch as many.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2019, 01:22 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Right Mary, I watch a lot of YouTube videos for inspiration and tips, but I find myself getting irritated at all the new sets they use and obviously want us to buy. I realize that stamp companies need to keep making and selling their products, but I sometimes feel like I’m being bombarded with new stuff and to buy, buy, buy. I’m trying not to watch as many.

I agree, I have to remind myself that many of those YouTubers have materials given to them by the manufacturers. If they had to go out and buy all of that stuff they'd be broke in no time! Seriously, they seem to have every item out there...in multiples, no less! I look at all of the supplies I have now, and know that I could make cards for a very long time, with what I've got, and anything else is a "want" and not a "need."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2019, 01:27 PM   #16  
Crimping Master

I've taken to doing searches of the stamp sets I have to get ideas of what designers did with them instead of looking at all the new stuff. Sometimes I look at a set a year later and have no idea what I had planned on doing with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2019, 02:00 PM   #17  
Inking Addict

Good idea Mary! There’s a woman I watch who does a video using what she has, so older sets, about once a week. Her name is Tina and her channel is Cards and Coffee Time. She’s so talented.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2019, 02:19 PM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

I can look at a stamp set I bought a week before and wonder why. Really! Thank goodness for search engines, which provide that “aha, that’s why” moment.

And thinking of spaces, I don’t want a large space to “allow” me to buy more because there’s room. Following a purge, some of my kitchen cabinet shelves are empty, which I love. White space, breathing space - like in art.

It’s too easy to fill to the brim whatever space I’m in. Luckily my office/craft room is not large.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2019, 02:43 PM   #19  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
I can look at a stamp set I bought a week before and wonder why. Really! Thank goodness for search engines, which provide that “aha, that’s why” moment.

And thinking of spaces, I don’t want a large space to “allow” me to buy more because there’s room. Following a purge, some of my kitchen cabinet shelves are empty, which I love. White space, breathing space - like in art.

It’s too easy to fill to the brim whatever space I’m in. Luckily my office/craft room is not large.
All true.
About two weeks ago I cleaned out and left just one kitchen cabinet shelf empty. I won't mention that there might have been a flour weevil or two up there. It was such a good feeling. Isn't it funny how empty space is so liberating? I need to do more of that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2019, 03:11 PM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

Yes. Cards, cabinets, art, architecture - they all feel good to me with white space/empty space. Not that I have that much white space in my office/craft room. But one wall is mostly window and the white shade often down even though there’s a great view, and another wall I’ve resisted adding shelves to even though they’d be handy. There’s just a simple, inexpensive black and white horizontal framed print above a 4x2 Expedit (which has lots of stuff in it!). White space craving?

Not that I don’t enjoy someone else’s packed space or heavily embellished cards or art. That’s fun to see and visit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2019, 03:21 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

What stamp set is it? Maybe someone here has it and is going to de-stash it? then maybe you can make a trade or something?? You never know!

I also decided not to buy anything (other than food and household needs-toothpaste etc-) for just a month. So far, so good. I have a list of stamps and dies I want, but so far I have not caved. I do need a new plate for my bigshot- is that a household need you think? If I don't get it, my DH will have to listen to me complain that my dies aren't cutting all the way through my paper for another week. I'll make him buy them

Good luck to you, don't know if I could go a year, but it is a worthwhile challenge!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2019, 06:00 PM   #22  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,386 Likes on 517 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryalenaView Post
I was also spending too much time being a craft hermit and that was my main reason for cutting back.
Yes! That is another reason I don't buy much. If I buy it, I feel pressure to use it. Well, if I buy too much that means I begin spending too much time making.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2019, 06:35 PM   #23  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I have a dream. I am going to pull a Julie and Julia (movie) and start at one end and work my way through every single stamp, die, EF, stencil, etc.
But not tomorrow.

You know that comic Jeff Foxworthy that does "You might be a Redneck if...."?
Well we could play that here.

"You might have too much if....."

You have 200 ____ stamps in every position like the kama sutra

You are starting to think about turning your index into the dewey decimal system.

The automated spinning rack at the dry cleaner is looking good as a storage concept for hanging bags if you had the space...

Next?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2019, 06:43 PM   #24  
Inking Addict

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I know I have too much when I sit down to create and spend more time picking out a stamp set than stamping.

I went through my stash and anything I was on the fence about went into a box. When I stamp, I pull one set out of the box randomly. If I can't think of anything to do with it or still feel meh about it, it goes in the sell/donate pile and I don't look back. BTW...It is a BIG box. haha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2019, 06:59 PM   #25  
Crimping Master

Having too much stuff posts always bring out the humorous side of stamping. The best jokes here are about stashes and attempts to manage stashes. Jeff Foxworthy logic definitely applies here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2019, 07:03 PM   #26  
Inking Addict

Staceylovespaper, I’m not sure I’ll make it a whole year. The stamp set I want is a new release from a Concord & 9th so no one would be ready to sell or trade it. It’s the mini Spirograph turnabout and is just different petals and leaves. I know I’ll cave and get it, but not yet. I think a plate for your Big Shot is a necessity, especially if it’s broken or cracked, and not just warped. I’m just avoiding stamps and dies. I bought paper today and I’ll buy other craft products like adhesive and ink/markers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2019, 03:44 AM   #27  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

Mine got to be too much when I couldn't even tell you what I had or where it was. It took me almost three years and a big move to get organized and purged. Now, I have a system that works for me and time to tackle the big UFO stacks of scrapbook pages in various stages of competition. I have two shelves of embellishments and tools that will not make the next move if they are still sitting there. Good luck to everyone who is tackling purging and organizing for 2019! It is an investment of time and money but the feeling when you step back and say "done" is worth it all.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2019, 06:05 AM   #28  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by lutheranView Post
Mine got to be too much when I couldn't even tell you what I had or where it was. It took me almost three years and a big move to get organized and purged. Now, I have a system that works for me and time to tackle the big UFO stacks of scrapbook pages in various stages of competition. I have two shelves of embellishments and tools that will not make the next move if they are still sitting there. Good luck to everyone who is tackling purging and organizing for 2019! It is an investment of time and money but the feeling when you step back and say "done" is worth it all.
Mary Beth

Mary Beth, would you want to describe your system a bit? I’ve learned I’m not an Evernoter, and am so curious about what others do.

I so agree about moving. Since we’ve been here 15 years and are not moving, I told my husband we’re doing a fake move, aka ”foove,” making pretend we’re moving and going through every item in every room. Sometimes it’s huge - selling my entire glass studio. Yesterday it was very small - purging two medicine cabinets. Even one drawer is progress. It’s kind of freeing!

My craft room/office was purged a while back but it’s time to do again. Stash creep.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2019, 08:00 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Just a couple of thoughts that came to mind as i was reading everyone's responses...

Denying yourself something that truly makes you happy (vs not buying because you have similar or don't really know how you'll use it, even though it appeals to you) is not any more sustainable than an extreme diet (and there's a reason diet is a four-letter word). Moderation is, in my mind, the key to any long-term strategy.

Knowing your "buying personality" as well as your "crafting personality" is helpful information because then you can better identify why you do what you do, and how to modify that behavior, if needed. bjeans is a good example of what I'm talking about - she has a firm grasp of what she's about and conducts her life accordingly.

Some of us have to do the baby-stepping thing to get to where we truly want to be, and that's fine, too. Nobody ever ate an elephant in one bite!

As far as being a "crafting hermit" - back to balance again. Everyone has different priorities and different ways of interacting with the loved ones in their space, etc. In my mind, allowing everyone to do their "thing" is a good way to stay happy. My husband is a drummer and goes out in the garage (where his drums are set up) and bangs away for a couple of hours every day, and jams with his buddies every other Sunday. I don't feel any stress at all spending a couple of hours in my craft room while he sits in front of the television (watching things I'm not interested in). We do date nights regularly and interact in other ways, so it's all good.

Everyone has to decide their own personality and style and priorities, and modifying your behavior to fit someone else's idea of what you should be about is never the way to go. There's a bizillion ways to approach anything, so figure out YOUR way and do that!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2019, 08:20 AM   #30  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been dealing with clutter in my craft room for way too long. Tried organizing a few times a year but nothing ever helped. I started loosing things and crafting at times seemed more frustrating than fun.

At the beginning of this year I decided to take 2 totes of stamps I never use in the basement (I just can't get rid of them!!). I figure if I need them I can simply go downstairs to get them. And I am forcing myself to use up my pattern papers this year (have *very rarely* used any of them last year.) If I don't use any up then I am going to throw all the scraps away at the end of this year.

I really don't buy many stamps, but if I really LOVE a set then I will get it. I do currently get the monthly Hero Art kit. And can't wait to see what Penny Black's spring release will bring, hoping it won't be too tempting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2019, 09:07 AM   #31  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllibelleView Post
I've been dealing with clutter in my craft room for way too long. Tried organizing a few times a year but nothing ever helped. I started loosing things and crafting at times seemed more frustrating than fun.

At the beginning of this year I decided to take 2 totes of stamps I never use in the basement (I just can't get rid of them!!). I figure if I need them I can simply go downstairs to get them. And I am forcing myself to use up my pattern papers this year (have *very rarely* used any of them last year.) If I don't use any up then I am going to throw all the scraps away at the end of this year.

I really don't buy many stamps, but if I really LOVE a set then I will get it. I do currently get the monthly Hero Art kit. And can't wait to see what Penny Black's spring release will bring, hoping it won't be too tempting.

Years ago I took a “live” on-line organizing class. Chatting with others, reporting in and having a structure was great. But what helped most was having a list of questions to ask myself when stuck on an item.

I also watched Peter Walsh tv shows (now off the air). He was tough but some of the same questions were asked.

The point is that I wasn’t an expert. I’m not a professional organizer, didn’t know common stumbling blocks or psychology behind hanging on well beyond the expiration date (which varies hugely).

A friend is working with a professional organizer with a specialty in ADHD and other brain challenges. It’s an extremely slow but satisfying process for her. I need speed to get me in the groove. Just different people.

Even though my “toss/donate” muscle is much stronger now, I still occasionally use the questions. They get to the heart of the reason for holding on or my emotion. And breaks are important, because staring at one thing for three minutes like a zombie means my brain is too full. So one day 30 minutes, the next day 5, the next week three hours. All good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2019, 06:22 PM   #32  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

psst Ellibelle...PB stamps has the new PB catalogs for download

Seriously though-When is it too much?
1) When I cant keep it all in one room. I don't want to be running around the house to get stuff. I wish I could have everything in arm's reach.
2) I agree-if you walk in the room and have a negative feeling-overwhelmed, depressed, anxious, frustrated bc you cant decide what to use, where to find it, etc...then that is too much. The world stresses me. I do this for fun. When it isn't then what's the point?
3) As you grow and evolve your opinion on this may change. Does for most people. You may decide after 5 years you like CAS only, or mixed media most or whatever---and whatever does not fit that profile you may see as excess and purge it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2019, 04:09 AM   #33  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

Quote:

Mary Beth, would you want to describe your system a bit? I’ve learned I’m not an Evernoter, and am so curious about what others do.

I so agree about moving. Since we’ve been here 15 years and are not moving, I told my husband we’re doing a fake move, aka ”foove,” making pretend we’re moving and going through every item in every room. Sometimes it’s huge - selling my entire glass studio. Yesterday it was very small - purging two medicine cabinets. Even one drawer is progress. It’s kind of freeing!

My craft room/office was purged a while back but it’s time to do again. Stash creep.
I have a long table that is my work table and things I need all the time are right there -- SU! inks, current stamp sets, embossing powders, heat gun, cs, patterned paper, cutting tools, adhesives, some ribbon and punches, card fronts, envelopes. I have a taller repurposed workbench for all things big shot. Another long table holds stamp sets designated for scrapbooking and embellishments, organized and labeled. I have a tall book case with stamp sets organized by theme: floral, birthday, travel, all other occasions, backgrounds and borders and alphabets. Christmas stuff is all in one big plastic bin that is in a closet when it's out of season, same with a smaller bin for other holidays (Halloween, Thanksgiving, Valentine's, Easter). In the closet there is a closet organizer thing from Lowe's with mesh drawers that holds more ribbon and stuff I don't use very often like paint, crimpers and foils. It may not work for anybody else but, to me, I have a dream system and I can get stuff done without ever having to hunt for something.

In a nutshell, I would say prioritize, categorize, get it shelved and labeled.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2019, 01:30 PM   #34  
Gallery Gazer

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

I think when you have 3 or more of the same item, its time to go through the stash....! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2019, 01:39 PM   #35  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by lutheranView Post
I have a long table that is my work table and things I need all the time are right there -- SU! inks, current stamp sets, embossing powders, heat gun, cs, patterned paper, cutting tools, adhesives, some ribbon and punches, card fronts, envelopes. I have a taller repurposed workbench for all things big shot. Another long table holds stamp sets designated for scrapbooking and embellishments, organized and labeled. I have a tall book case with stamp sets organized by theme: floral, birthday, travel, all other occasions, backgrounds and borders and alphabets. Christmas stuff is all in one big plastic bin that is in a closet when it's out of season, same with a smaller bin for other holidays (Halloween, Thanksgiving, Valentine's, Easter). In the closet there is a closet organizer thing from Lowe's with mesh drawers that holds more ribbon and stuff I don't use very often like paint, crimpers and foils. It may not work for anybody else but, to me, I have a dream system and I can get stuff done without ever having to hunt for something.

In a nutshell, I would say prioritize, categorize, get it shelved and labeled.
Mary Beth
It sounds like a perfect system. I love stations too - and binning/shelving things that are used less often. Though once in a while when in a rush, I mess with something at the wrong station - and then clean-up is worse.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2019, 05:02 AM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

this is such a personal decision. I take a minimalist approach to keeping stamps. I regularly give away or sell. If I don't use it within a year it is gone.

It stifles my creativity to have too many choices and clutter makes me antsy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2019, 05:33 AM   #37  
Gallery Gazer

The most important part of keeping my stash from overflowing into “too much” has been recognizing the difference between something that is lovely/cool/cute/funny/interesting, versus something that will actually be used.

It’s like beautiful clothes in colors that I look horrible in, or truly great books I can’t finish. Easy to say, tough to do though over time easier.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2019, 07:01 AM   #38  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
this is such a personal decision. I take a minimalist approach to keeping stamps. I regularly give away or sell. If I don't use it within a year it is gone.

It stifles my creativity to have too many choices and clutter makes me antsy
In the past I would give away something I did not use as much only to regret and want that item back. Poor decision making on my part I suppose LOL. But am realizing that now I do want to let go for this same reason as well I know deep down I do adore the stamps I do have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2019, 07:15 AM   #39  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Years ago I took a “live” on-line organizing class. Chatting with others, reporting in and having a structure was great. But what helped most was having a list of questions to ask myself when stuck on an item.

I also watched Peter Walsh tv shows (now off the air). He was tough but some of the same questions were asked.

The point is that I wasn’t an expert. I’m not a professional organizer, didn’t know common stumbling blocks or psychology behind hanging on well beyond the expiration date (which varies hugely).

A friend is working with a professional organizer with a specialty in ADHD and other brain challenges. It’s an extremely slow but satisfying process for her. I need speed to get me in the groove. Just different people.

Even though my “toss/donate” muscle is much stronger now, I still occasionally use the questions. They get to the heart of the reason for holding on or my emotion. And breaks are important, because staring at one thing for three minutes like a zombie means my brain is too full. So one day 30 minutes, the next day 5, the next week three hours. All good.
I am interested when you mentioned the 5 questions you would use to ask yourself about a particular item.

Would you mind sharing them in this thread please?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2019, 12:06 PM   #40  
Matboard Maniac

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is a great question and I'm glad you asked, because I tend to go "overboard" sometimes, with buying stamp sets!

I haven't been stamping long. I just started about 4 years ago. But, one of the first companies I found (probably from watching videos on youtube) was Stampin' Up! When I would see a video with a card I liked, I'd watch it. And low & behold, it would be a SU! demonstrator, making a lovely card.

Once I found Stampin' Up! and began ordering from them, I was in LOVE! Yes, there are a lot of wonderful companies out there and I have some of their stamp sets, but for me, Stampin' Up! just has the best products. I really love their bundles!

Anyway, to answer your question: I do not have a large card room. It's probably on the small size, but it's my room and I know where everything is. I probably have about 40 SU! bundles/stamp sets. My problem is this: I'll watch a YouTube video and see another lovely card and once again, it's SU! So what do I do? Yep. I go order it and then I get ALL EXCITED about checking my mailbox. LOL

I think I have enough supplies/stamp sets/bundles to last a long time. Especially considering I can make different cards with just one stamp set. But it sure is tempting to buy those bundles, when you see them on youtube and just love them.

:-)

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes