Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-25-2018, 01:56 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are your favorite ink pads?

I've been using Stampin Up pads for YEARS. And I think I might like to start using other brands. See what's out there.

Do you exclusively use one brand? Or do you buy whatever color and brand you feel like?

I don't do elaborate things with my cards. I'm a very simple stamper. I only do Christmas cards. I don't do watercoloring. So tell me what your favorite black ink is and what your favorite colored inks are. Thanks

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2018, 03:39 PM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

My fave black is Memento. I like Catherine Pooler Designs ink pads and Lawn Fawn ink pads ;)
By this we know love, because He laid down His life for us. 1 John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2018, 06:32 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Gina K inks are the best in my opinion. Her Amalgam ink is the best black ink I've ever used.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2018, 02:13 AM   #4  
Embossing Fanatic

Michael's Craft Smart house brand dye ink line has very vibrant colors, is easy to clean off stamps and fingers, dries quickly, and seldom require multiple stampings to create a color-loaded image.

Stazon solvent ink is wonderful, but clean up is problematic.

Last edited by TexasGrammy; 12-26-2018 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: SPR
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2018, 02:14 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

My total favourite black is the new Versafine Clair, called Nocturne. Gives a wonderful crisp image, and is unbeatable on solid stamps. They have quite a range of colours in this now, and every one is a gorgeous colour and performs really well. I'd suggest having a look at Jennifer Macguire videos, she covers a lot of inkpads we don't have over here in the UK. She does one every year on her favourite stamps/ inkpads etc of the year, so try a YouTube search for Jennifer Macguire favourite inkpads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2018, 07:44 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Ditto Shaz. Versafine Clairs pick up fine detail and stamp extremely crisply. The black is so black! They also are terrific if you want to try clear heat embossing because they take embossing powder long after they seem dry - I've gone as long as 5 minutes.

The colors are quite intense but they do nice second or even third generation stamping. I sure wish they had soft colors, however.

Depending on what else is going on, sometimes I use Ranger Archival black too.

An ink not often mentioned that I love is IO - Impression Obsession. The owner visited an LSS and said it isn't that her inks are different from other high quality inks, but she would get frustrated wanting to go light to dark in a color. So she formulated light to dark "sets" - for example, peach, melon and orange. They're sold individually though.

Link: Impression Obsession Rubber Stamps: *NEW* Ink Pads & Refills

My all time faves are Distress Oxides but they may not appeal to you if you want to stick to simple stamping. That said, they come in terrific colors, do regular stamping very nicely, including fairly detailed stamps, and are amazing for techniques - though that part may not interest you.

A unique feature is that if you stamp one color on top of another when fairly dry (not even bone dry), the two colors won't mix, don't blend. But if you do the same when wet, they do blend. Both can be handy.

For example, you can transition colors - like red to orange to yellow just using red and yellow. On the other hand, if you wait until dry, you won't get brown aka mud if stamping complementary colors on top of each other - like red and green.

And I agree with watching some of Jennifer McGuire's videos - not just for 2018, but before. She has said it isn't as if she doesn't like earlier choices - she just adds new ones.

I like Hero Arts Shadow Inks a lot. Ranger Archival are nice. Lots of others. I don't discriminate much - have everything from Studio Calico to Mama Elephant, though no full sets except for Oxides, because color has been more important to me than brand.

Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2018, 09:35 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I have become quite enamored of both Distress Oxides and Versafine Clairs (have most of the former and about ten of the latter). I also really like Hero Arts Shadow ink. I have most of the SU! colors in DIY mini cubes and refills for them, but I'm going to get these little bottles to put some ink in, then gift the larger bottles to my daughter (who also has a set of DIY minis). I don't use them all that often, but it's handy to have small versions when I want them. I probably won't keep all of the colors, though. I also have Ranger Archival Black and Memento Tuxedo Black, Rich Cocoa, and London Fog, just because they are neutral and versatile.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2018, 12:27 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

distress oxide ink pads by ranger are my current fave

I've heard 100% great things about Catherine Pooler inks (both from people on her DT and non DT people). They are on my list
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2018, 12:07 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

I love using multi-step stamps, so I love Altenew's range of inks for that. I no longer suffer from the full-set syndrome, so I have a few Gina K Design and WPlus9 ink pads in colors I love. Maybe I need to clarify that last sentence: I do have full sets of Distress and Distress Oxide ink pads. But I consider those in a class by themselves. My favorite blacks: Memento if I'll be using Copics; otherwise, Versafine Onyx black.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2018, 12:25 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts

Memento inks for Copic coloring (black, rich cocoa and London Fog). Versafine Onyx black or the Versafine Clair Nocturne (my new fave) for dark black, crisp stamping. Ranger archival for water coloring. For colors, I think my Distress and Distress Oxides are my favorites. I'm considering getting rid of my SU inks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2018, 02:26 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Stampin up pads are still my first choice, probably because I use what I have! But I do like them. I do not have any of the new shaped pads, however,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2018, 05:50 PM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I currently love Distress Oxides and Distress Inks. I love how easy they are blending. I want to get a few Versafine Clair inks as well to use with silhouette stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2018, 07:02 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 431 Likes on 164 Posts

I love my distress oxide ink pads. I love the finish you get on your card when using them. They are so fun to blend, and the colors are so vivid. I still have SU pads from 15 plus years ago and have added new colors over the year, but I frankly do not like the way the pads are on them anymore. I invest in reinkers and blank pads now because it saves money, space, and with the liquid inks, I can watercolor and do a variety of other things.

I am sure there are lots of fabulous inks out there, but I have been at this for so long, it just seems most practical to use what I have for the most part and replace as needed or try one I hear is new and great.
Reply With Quote Likes