Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-03-2018, 08:23 AM   #121  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 299 Likes on 213 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScraperwannabeView Post
Is this the mojo thread??!! :lol: :razz:

Yep! We are chit-chatting about daily challenges, sharing links to our favorite cards when a topic comes up and then we create!!!

Your sketch card is fabulous with the daisies and checked border. I LOVE black, white and just a hint of color!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2018, 08:26 AM   #122  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
CARD CASE'R
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
VSN Coordinator

Received 571 Likes on 458 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohmypaper!View Post
Yep! We are chit-chatting about daily challenges, sharing links to our favorites and being inspired to create!!!

Your sketch card is fabulous with the daisies and checked border. I LOVE black, white and just a hint of color!
Thank you! I'm still in summer mode, the temps aren't 100* still, but they don't feel very fall-ish & I'm okay with that, but it means my fall stamps get a little dusty! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2018, 09:33 AM   #123  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess & DSS Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Granola bars are a great treat!

This is the place!
I figured that way kids could take their treats to school in their lunches!!!

I stayed up way too late to get the sketch challenge done. Swam this morning...cleaned up...white chicken chili is in the crock pot...cleaned up my table..and it's time to make another card!! This one might be a get well soon card. You never have one of those on hand when you need one!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2018, 12:16 PM   #124  

Fall cards are not my favorite for some reason. I make them but not my favorite. I prefer to create Christmas cards all year long or bright pretty flowers and butterflies! I wonder why that is. Janeenk and I decided it was the color scheme. Not sure, I wouldn't say that I dislike yellow, orange and red.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2018, 12:17 PM   #125  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven’t had a chance to do any of the challenges for this week yet. Hey, I have a question as I have only been active here for a few years. I was wondering how it came to be that people play in the challenge the first day mostly. I usually need a few days to think of an idea, then time to do my card. I am constantly astounded by the number of entries that are posted right away!!

I know that you can post to a challenge at any time, but it is pretty unlikely that anyone will comment on it if it is more than a few days late.

Just curious!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2018, 04:28 PM   #126  

There will always be the handful of designers for the team, they will have their cards created ahead of time of course. Then there are designers that are just super speedy. Some are on a different time zone so that makes a difference but really, there are a lot of artists out there that can whip out those masterpieces in a few hours! Most of the time mine will show up in the afternoon when I enter a card for a challenge where I am not on the team but sometimes everything comes together like a dream and I can post early. We are all different! If you like the challenge, I hope you will post anyway. Let us know here and I will definitely look and I bet some other gals will too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2018, 07:21 PM   #127  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
CARD CASE'R
VSN Coordinator

Some of the daily challenges are posted the night before. The Clean & Simple challenge is posted sometime on Sunday night for Monday. Depending on which time zone the hostess lives in, it might be posted at 8pm EST or it might be midnight. There are several cards in the gallery made by non-DT members on Mon morning.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2018, 03:32 AM   #128  

The WT708 challenge is all about music today! I have a fun musical sentiment with a bit of musical score combined. Maybe later a CAS card will be born!

What kind of music do you enjoy? Do you like to play music while you create? Do you play an instrument?

I do not play an instrument. I think it would be fun to learn to play the drums! I love watching our drum players in church, I think they are fascinating.
I usually forget to turn on music while I create. :(
I love almost all music. I just can't handle harder rock or rap for very long and especially not if I am stressed or have a difficult task.

Your turn, tell us what you think and which stamp comes to mind when you think of today's music challenge!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2018, 05:35 AM   #129  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts

I'm mulling over which of my many stamps and dies to use for the music challenge! I seem to have quite a few different directions I'm thinking of - guess I should just get into the craft room and start playing!
I like most music, with the exception of rap, hard rock ( same thoughts as Angie - they make me kind of anxious .or stressed) and not a big fan of country. I either have music on when I craft or sometimes NPR, but never tv. Today I'm in a Bruce Springsteen mood, tomorrow it may be Vivaldi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2018, 07:02 AM   #130  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

You know Angie, I'm going to suggest that you pick up a ukulele! it's the best!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2018, 08:30 AM   #131  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
CARD CASE'R
VSN Coordinator

I just spent a chunk of time looking for a stamp for today’s musical challenge...not sure if it’s in storage or if it is one I looked at buying & never did. Now, to move on & figure out Plan B!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2018, 08:40 AM   #132  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I play the ukulele and the piano. A few weeks ago I made a set of art work for my front room, using vintage ukulele music. I added some of the scraps to my challenge card today. Here is the art work on my walls. I made the teal art work (when music is on, the world is off) a few years ago...and the framed receipt is from my great grandfather, a concert pianist who studied under someone who was a mega star at the time.
Attached Thumbnails
Challenge Chat-craft-cuts-musical-home-decor-finished-table-b.jpg   Challenge Chat-wall.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2018, 08:51 AM   #133  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

Great photos, Dawn.

I play piano, took up the flute many years ago during a move when the piano had to go into storage for three months. Played guitar for a while but damaged a nerve in my finger when a glass jar shattered in my hand, and it's still sore if I get pressure on it. We grew up with all sorts of music in the house - my mother played piano. She had played violin and earned money during college playing in a chamber orchestra, but her collarbone/shoulder was badly set after a riding accident, so no more violin. She used to play folk tunes on the guitar when I was growing up. My dad could play almost anyting by ear - my flute was his, we had a pedal harmonium and a clavichord in the house as well as a piano, he played classical guitar, took a go at the clarinet. I mostly like classical music but tend not to listen when stamping - that would be BBC Radio 4.

Here's a photo of my dad playing the flute I now have (I did, I admit, ditch his rather heavy handmade wooden case lined with velvet for something that was easier for me to carry around) along with his brother and his brother's then fiancee - the only one still alive. Interestingly, when I shared the photo with her two years ago, it got her back in touch with one of the best friends of her youngest son who died when he was in college and she hadn't been in contact with this friend for nearly 40 years - all through someone else recognising the house in the photo. The friend had letters from my cousin which my aunt had never seen, so it was a lovely chance reunion. My aunt and uncle went on playing recorder for years and years.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2018, 08:55 AM   #134  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

@ Heidi - I think I make quicker cards for the challenges and slower ones for myself :mrgreen:, but a challenge one can still take three of four hours. That's why I love the hostesses who post earlier - the guidelines tell us before midnight the evening before or ideally by 8 Eastern time. The early ones let me think about it while at work, even by 8 lets me think about it on the way home. You're right, there will be much fewer comments after the first day, but I don't think that's why I prefer to play "on the day", because I upload a good amount of non-challenge cards which I've made just for myself, and I don't necessarily expect them to get any comments.

Events like the VSN challenges and DTGD taught me that I can make cards I really like in a shorter time if I need to. I need to write more but it's time to go and make dinner.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2018, 11:39 AM   #135  

Oh, Drat, Misti!!! I hate it when I can't find something. When I used to follow a certain company for every release and I would hop every blog I sometimes THOUGHT I had purchased a stamp only to find out, nope, I had simply admired it! That is always sad!

Dawn, the art deco is gorgeous! How cool to have that special receipt! What a beautiful wall!

My husband plays guitar and banjo.
My daughter has tried piano but won't stick with it. She is teaching herself the theme song to LaLa land.
(she is also an artist and very much into theatre arts so she is a busy girl)

Our son plays guitar
and then there is me. Nada!

Sabrina, that is a gorgeous photo! I LOVE old photos. Look at her dress!! So pretty. What a great reunion story! So cool to have a musical family!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2018, 12:21 PM   #136  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
CARD CASE'R
VSN Coordinator

Image is colored & cs cut... will put it together & upload after I get back from Archery practice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2018, 02:37 PM   #137  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 404 Likes on 305 Posts

Oh Angela, this whole thread has me smiling at the gorgeous creations and happy memories of challenges! I do love photo challenges! I seem to struggle the most with a sketch challenge - sometimes the image doesn't fit into the little thumbnail of how it should and wants to do it's own thing! hee hee!

I think one of my favorite photo inspiration cards I've done is this one: America the beautiful ♥ by MiamiKel4 - at Splitcoaststampers

I love anything rustic, I love shiplap, old barns, peeled paint!

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My Instagram: kellyannsanti
My YouTube channel

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2018, 05:05 PM   #138  

Quote:

Originally Posted by MiamiKel4View Post

I think one of my favorite photo inspiration cards I've done is this one: America the beautiful ♥ by MiamiKel4 - at Splitcoaststampers

I love anything rustic, I love shiplap, old barns, peeled paint!

Kelly, that is my all-time favorite patriotic card! I love it!! It just reaches out and grabs me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2018, 06:54 PM   #139  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I remember when we had an ongoing chat thread for the challenge chasers...so many years ago! It just went on and on and on..till we were asked to make one each day in the forum of the challenge. Traffic to SCS and galleries seemed to have slowed down. I'm grateful for this new thread to chat again! Thanks for setting it up!

So...psstt...the F4A challenge is up! Before 11pm est. So you can dream up something for tomorrow...or create it tonight!

Kelli...great patriotic card!

Sabrina, loved the photo! Such a great snap shot in time...and so lovely that there was a reconnection because of it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2018, 08:03 PM   #140  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
CARD CASE'R
VSN Coordinator

Finally got today's challenge card made:

WT708 Musical Mice by Scraperwannabe - at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2018, 08:10 PM   #141  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by dawnmercedesView Post
I remember when we had an ongoing chat thread for the challenge chasers...so many years ago! It just went on and on and on..till we were asked to make one each day in the forum of the challenge. Traffic to SCS and galleries seemed to have slowed down. I'm grateful for this new thread to chat again! Thanks for setting it up!

So...psstt...the F4A challenge is up! Before 11pm est. So you can dream up something for tomorrow...or create it tonight!

Kelli...great patriotic card!

Sabrina, loved the photo! Such a great snap shot in time...and so lovely that there was a reconnection because of it!

I miss that time in the chat thread... "Stalking" for the next day's challenge to be posted! I'll go peek at the F4A!

And... I just posted a call-out for hostesses to help with our next Virtual Stamp Night!!

Hostess Call-Out! Holiday VSN!! - Splitcoaststampers
Kim in Illinois, Dirty Dozen Alum, QFTD#207, FS798, VSN Moderator
"Famous Last Words" Spring Virtual Stamp Night, April 19 & 20
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2018, 08:15 PM   #142  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I'll have to catch up on this thread later to look at everyone's links. I have been stalled a bit in my card making; this is giving me a rather nostalgic boost!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2018, 05:30 AM   #143  

The MIX challenge is to add a moon to our projects. The Free For All challenge is to make a small tall or a long tall card.

Do you like to create different sizes and shape cards or do you stick to one size unless you are challenged to do so?

What is your favorite MIX media combination?

I pretty much stick to A2 unless challenged. I like to keep it simple so my Mix is usually, ink and acrylic paint, or ink and gesso, or ink and glossy accents. Not very adventurous, am I? LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2018, 06:04 AM   #144  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Square is my favourite card base - thankfully it doesn't incur extra postage here! Funnily, because I made the chicks card back in August and only made the symphony card on Wednesday, both my WT music cards turned out to be European business size.

Mixed media...when I have time just to potter and enjoy myself, I LOVE the Layered Gesso Background tutorial. I think the bee card I sent you might have used that. I really enjoyed playing around with the gel plate I made for DTGD, and in fact yesterday afternoon I toted everything downstairs and spent a couple of hours making prints for my background box. Just about to upload one of them which I used on today's MIX challenge . Anything with stencils is fun too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2018, 06:04 AM   #145  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
CARD CASE'R
VSN Coordinator

I only get out of the A2 size, if I'm challenged. Thanks to VSN, DTGD, etc challenges, I have added some "extra" supplies to my stash to use for mixability challenges, but I'm still pretty basic in the supplies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2018, 07:26 AM   #146  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I’m like Sabrina, more likely to make a square card than anything else! I do sometimes make “scraplings” with the bits you trim off a standard sheet when you make a square card (like these or this) as well as using the offcuts for small die cut shapes.

Of course nobody outside North America uses the same card sizes as you! Half a standard sheet folded in half is A6 in ISO standard sizes and is just very slightly taller and slimmer than your A2. It’s my second most used size, I reckon.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2018, 09:19 AM   #147  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

I don't know where I mentioned DH's first guitar, maybe in conversation with Dawn or Carla. My brother got it from a friend of his, and a couple of years later, gave it to DH. His friend did the pyrography on it... luckily not affecting the tone. It's just a bear to re-string, being twelve strings and a floating bridge. Now we have three in the house plus his jazz one over at his mother's (not that he plays jazz, he just liked the guitar) and another one in the house where Wednesday night house church is, so that if he goes on the motorbike he's still got something to play.

We had a recent Inkling tutorial on painted wood burning, but I don't have the stuff to try it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2018, 09:47 AM   #148  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow, can't imagine playing or stringing a 12 string! Thanks for sharing the picture, interesting design. Glad it didn't affect the sound quality.

I prefer A6, I got a great deal on A6 envelopes and it gives me a little more design space. But I make all different sizes. Wish we weren't charged extra postage to mail square cards. I've got an idea brewing for today's challenges. Need to get some chores done first though ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2018, 03:03 PM   #149  

Joanne, I think about your scraplings every time I create a different size card. I think you might have mentioned them during an event like maybe DTGD? My scraplings are rarely large enough for a card but I think about it!

Sabrina, I am going to have to show my husband and son the guitar! Wow, so unique! Thanks for posting the tutorial. I watched and then went to get the bee card. Yes, it looks like that technique!

I agree, Carla and wow with the price of stamps these days it makes me want to stay in the one stamp fee!

Misti, your musical mice were darling!!! Love that card!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2018, 06:54 PM   #150  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
CARD CASE'R
VSN Coordinator

It took me FOREVER to get the mixability challenge to come together. Ugh!!! I keep telling myself that the more I do mixed media, the easier it will get... right??!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2018, 08:31 PM   #151  

Misti, I think that is how it is supposed to work but some days...... I can't wait to see what you create!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2018, 08:33 PM   #152  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Didn't stamp today...had to finish something non-craft related (boohoo)

But tomorrow is gonna be crafty! World Card Making Day!!

I need a new playlist of tunes to keep me going. What do you all like to listen to when making lots of cards?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2018, 08:43 PM   #153  

Alrighty, all you night owls and those of you in totally different time zones the IC670 challenge is up! Julie has chosen a photography site for us this week! It's stunning! So many beautiful photos to inspire us!

Any photographers here?? What is your favorite subject to photograph? It's ok if you say the selfie! I loved photographing our backpacking trips before our 2nd child came along. I have the absolute cutest photo of our son backpacking when he was about 3! So cute! I was always trying to capture trees but then I became fascinated with card making and now the only real photography I do is cards. I am always searching for better ways to take a picture without spending any more money!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2018, 08:50 PM   #154  

Kim, I am terrible about remembering to put on music. I tend to create in silence. It might be a reaction to all the years I spent raising a sweet boy who screamed all the time! I enjoy classical, worship music, Michael Buble and Sinatra just to name a few. I have quite the long list of Pandora stations!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2018, 10:10 AM   #155  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Kim, I am terrible about remembering to put on music. I tend to create in silence. It might be a reaction to all the years I spent raising a sweet boy who screamed all the time! I enjoy classical, worship music, Michael Buble and Sinatra just to name a few. I have quite the long list of Pandora stations!

I think we would have fun stamping & listening to Pandora together...I have all of that on my Pandora too!

But I am going to start with my Motown channel. Tons of energy! I'll probably switch to Michael Buble after a bit. He's a charm!

I'm going in... :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2018, 10:24 AM   #156  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

I love most music, except country, rap, heavy metal and bubble gum. Instrumentals are my go to while crafting. It gets me in that Zen Zone of creativity!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2018, 11:36 AM   #157  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

What a great site Julie found. I loved the macro of the snow crystals - but it made me smile to myself. We don't often get that sort, and the one time we did about 8 years ago, I got the bus to the park well supplied with charged batteries for my camera, but in that below-freezing temperature they just died so quickly! I really enjoy photography and rarely leave the house without a camera - though since even my bridge camera is pretty heavy and my shoulder has been sore for a while, if it's just for my commute to work I don't always bother now. And sometimes it's better to capture memories than a photo.

Trees must have been hard, unless you were going for detail shots! I always find it hard to really show the height of trees. I missed three calls from DH last night while he was over visiting his mother. Turned out he wanted me to email him the link to the photos I had uploaded from our visit to the Botanic Gardens last week. When he got home, he said "they weren't all there. What about MY trees?". Well, those were two photos I took for him, I hadn't thought to include them in "my" album , since I'd already emailed them to him.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2018, 11:39 AM   #158  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by berlyceceView Post
Didn't stamp today...had to finish something non-craft related (boohoo)

But tomorrow is gonna be crafty! World Card Making Day!!

I need a new playlist of tunes to keep me going. What do you all like to listen to when making lots of cards?

This sounds awful - but I love true crime podcasts. Music actually distracts me from crafting, but spoken word is perfect. I can follow the story and still focus on my work - following the story helps me not overwork my art
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2018, 12:20 PM   #159  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,912 Likes on 2,181 Posts

I can't listen to music either. But I can have the TV on, even if I don't watch it.

I'm working on a card Kristina posted on YouTube! She started her Holiday Card Series 2018 today!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2018, 08:33 AM   #160  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
CARD CASE'R
VSN Coordinator

I have a couple of images stamped, hope to work on them after we get home from an archery competition.
Reply With Quote Likes