Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-22-2018, 05:49 AM   #681  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 299 Likes on 213 Posts

Joanne, that is a stunning note set! That is a goal for my future self. I want to make note cards as gift sets to give away as presents from me. Your sets are fabulous.

Sabrina, I like the tutorials you shared, they would definitely add to a one layer!

Anyone have time to create today?
If so what are you creating?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2018, 06:24 AM   #682  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohmypaper!View Post
Joanne, that is a stunning note set! That is a goal for my future self. I want to make note cards as gift sets to give away as presents from me. Your sets are fabulous.

Sabrina, I like the tutorials you shared, they would definitely add to a one layer!

Anyone have time to create today?
If so what are you creating?

Samples for the challenges I am hosting on Monday and Tuesday. By my standards I am running VERY late with them. The Tuesday one requires more understanding of perspective and drawing skills than I possess. Not the actual challenge, just the card I am trying to create.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2018, 07:08 AM   #683  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,912 Likes on 2,181 Posts

I tried that bordered sentiment in a TLC in 2016. Very dimensional looking!

TLC596 Bordered Sentiment by muscrat at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2018, 08:38 AM   #684  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Thanks!

Once you’ve figured out what you’re doing that design is really easy to make ‘production line’ style. I cut a square out of a piece of acetate and used the aperture to sponge the coloured bit so my process was stamp the image, put the acetate stencil over it and sponge colour, add a tiny bit of Copic shading, stamp the sentiment. It’s really easy to get the square in the right place because you can see through the acetate and it’s easy to wipe clean when you want to move to using a different colour. I’m not sure I even masked the images on those, I think I just sponged carefully!

My blog
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2018, 09:18 AM   #685  

I have never used acetate for my template before. I am going to have to try it. I spend a LOT of time trying to get borders masked correctly and then I lift up my mask only to find I still didn't get it right so I will definitely try that next time. Thanks so much, Joanne for the tip!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2018, 09:23 AM   #686  

Sabrina, I know your cards will be fabulous! I can't wait to see your samples. I get very frustrated with myself when I have a vision for an outcome but my skills don't match my vision.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2018, 11:56 AM   #687  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Acetate for templates is super. I was kicking myself for NOT having done it on a recent simple one-layer card because it meant I didn't centre the mask properly and ended up having to stamp a sentiment to add balance to the card...

MIX304 Birthday Birds by Cook22 at Splitcoaststampers

I also used it to make my homemade bokeh stencils (and a couple of other ones) because it makes precision placement so easy. I guess the other thing I've used it for is my faux postage template. Why is there so little time to make all the things I want to make and try again!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2018, 12:13 PM   #688  
Proud Fan Club Member
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL Sabrina, as much as I love that card, it still messes with my head when I see your name on a single layer, CAS design and a sketch challenge card!

Ang in answer to your question, I am creating a stash of legs, shoes and hats from my latest purchases of Digi images. Sassy Cheryl have 70% off a huge range of their soon to be retired images (until 31 Dec). I usually crop an image and just print/ resize the parts I want to use. Snowmen images often have the best hats and shoes.

Please don't take your organs to heaven - heaven knows we need them here.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2018, 12:19 PM   #689  
Proud Fan Club Member
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Kathy your card is gorgeous, the illusion of dimension is fabulous. Joanne I love your gift packs. I'm far too frugal to make an entire card with good watercolour paper LOL.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2018, 12:38 PM   #690  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
CARD CASE'R
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
VSN Coordinator

Received 571 Likes on 458 Posts

Joanne, your card gift sets are awesome!!!

I’m flying in here... supposed to be heading out the door for archery practice. Had to wait in a boy to get his equipment ready.

So thankful for all that post in this thread! Love the encouragement that is shared!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2018, 09:19 PM   #691  

I would hit the LIKE button Misti but I don't want to add another rectangle to the post! So glad you were able to pop in for a second before heading off!

Our Featured Stamper is our very sweet Melody aka lacyquilter! Melody makes the most beautiful cards and 3D projects. She plays in many of the challenges. I hope you will be able to CASE a card of hers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2018, 06:03 PM   #692  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
CARD CASE'R
VSN Coordinator

The CAS challenge is up:

CAS513 - Stitch it Up - 12/24/18 by Humma at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2018, 08:59 PM   #693  

Technique Lovers Challenge is up too!

TLC722 ~ Then One Foggy Christmas Eve ~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2018, 09:13 PM   #694  

Not a Creature is stirring...Well, that isn't true. Two creatures are insisting they are hungry at 1 AM but all humans except me have nestled all snug in their beds. The presents have all been wrapped, cookies have mostly been eaten so more baking awaits me after a nap!

Do you have any Christmas Eve traditions?

My parents waited to shop until Christmas Eve because back then that's when things went on sale. We received some pretty odd clearance gifts now and then! LOL they would return from their shopping and send us to our rooms while they wrapped presents and displayed some of the gifts unopened.

At our house, we will have Christmas Eve Cheese Fondue followed by chocolate fondue all by candlelight. Next, we will move to gift opening in the living room beside a fake crackling fire via the tv. The gifts have all been tagged with very vague hints that will keep everyone guessing and we draw out each gift as long as possible!

Now I better go catch that nap!

Merry Christmas Eve to all those who celebrate!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2018, 06:46 AM   #695  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

LOL, I was trying to find a TLC challenge that would tie in with "not a creature was stirring". Rudolph doesn't quite have the same style. Because my mother was French Christmas Eve was always important in our household. The meal varied, but the Bûche was constant. We sang carols together afterwards, and were allowed open one present each from under the tree. We kept the carols going till my mother died; after they moved down to the country DH and I always went down for Christmas and we'd have a carol session.

Here's this year's Bûche all ready to take to my aunt's house where I'll add a dusting of sugar snow.

Fondue sounds good! Especially the cheese one. Alas, no time for a nap here :-).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2018, 07:01 AM   #696  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 662 Likes on 416 Posts

I am guessing that is a "Yule" long type cake then right Sabrina? ( it is so gorgeous with the bird on the branches.)

When I was growing up (and in hubs family too) every Christmas eve the gift we were allowed to open was new PJ's. So, we did continue that with our son. and I asked my Mama once when I was an adult if she knew where that came from and she said that gma told her it was so that everyone looked nice in their Christmas Morning photos :lol: so, even then when people first had their own way to record memories there was that clean and shiny factor ha ha.

Merry Christmas Eve!

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2018, 07:14 AM   #697  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Teapot Tuesday TEAm
Vintage Lover

Received 364 Likes on 266 Posts

Oh Sabrina that is stunning...wish I could have some. What a great tradition!

When I was little we had oyster stew on Christmas Eve. Of course we kids didn't like that so we got some of the broth and lots of oyster crackers. We were so excited anyway that we probably didn't eat much. As we grew up the tradition became having chili (and lots of Christmas cookies) for dinner to give my mom a break. Then as adults it morphed into lasagna. This year we're back to chili...my niece is making a chicken chili and we'll have appetizers. I'm making lasagna for Christmas Day...it's one of favorite meals so I've gotta have it!

I'm finally feeling creative today after a few weeks of a card making lull...am working on this week's TEA party card....being on the team I have a preview of what it will be ;)

Merry Christmas to all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2018, 07:41 AM   #698  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Merry almost Christmas to all! We have a tourtiere on Christmas Eve. I will make lots of extra pastry because Christmas dinner is at my sister's this year and I will need to make 4 pies Christmas morning to take along. Even though the kids are adults they still get stockings and Santa can't fill them if they are looking. Since the adults go to bed before the 'kids' they are kicked up to their rooms while Santa does her stocking job. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2018, 08:01 AM   #699  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Oh my, I haven't had tourtiere for years! That was something my mother used to make. I always remember the oyster crackers from the Laura Ingalls books, I remember Pa eating them when he was stuck out in a blizzard. I still don't know what they are, though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2018, 08:23 AM   #700  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Teapot Tuesday TEAm
Vintage Lover

Received 364 Likes on 266 Posts

Here ya go Sabrina....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2018, 10:51 AM   #701  

I love reading everyone's stories and traditions.

Sabrina, the mushrooms look amazing! Beautiful dessert!

Stacy, that is cute about the way the PJ tradition was started!

Polly, I am so glad that you are feeling inspired again. I love that feeling I get when I sit down to create after a bit of a lull. it's kind of like a Christmas morning feeling but we can have all through the year!

Ann, I had to look tourtiere up! Oh, my, it looks delicious! Looks like something all but one of us (who doesn't like anything) would love. I could go for one right now!
That's so sweet that the "kids" still get stockings! I love that! Stockings are a fairly new tradition at our house. Neither Steve nor I had stockings growing up. I am not sure when or why I decided that would be a new thing. I love doing them. My kids and husband get spoiled all over again on Christmas morning!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2018, 02:30 PM   #702  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 465 Likes on 347 Posts

Sabrina, your Buche de Noel is stunning - I'd love a piece!!

I love all the Christmas Eve traditions. When I was a child, we'd always have a very plain simple dinner that night (often fish) to counterbalance the rich turkey dinner and all the Christmas baking the next day. And then we'd be sent to bed early so that my parents had more time to prepare the Santa stockings, etc.

My traditional meal now on Christmas Eve is tourtiere and salad. And I love to sit by the fire for part of the evening and have Christmas carols playing - nice to relax before all the hectic cooking of Christmas Day!!

I just got a card made and posted for the CAS challenge but don't think I have time for the TLC challenge.

Merry Christmas to you all!

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2018, 10:04 PM   #703  

The Color Challenge is up! They are carrying over last week's colors. It really is a stunning color combo. I liked it last week when I shared it here but I didn't stop to view the samples last week. If you haven't had the chance before, I hope you will check out the samples. I can't stop looking at THIS one!

We had a very sweet Christmas. Our son kept commenting on how much it felt like a grown-up Christmas. I think he has grown up all of a sudden!

Wishing everyone a wonderful day no matter how you spend it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2018, 10:10 PM   #704  
Stazon Splitcoast

Angie, I too love Stef's card for the Color Challenge - it's stunning. I put it on the CAS Favorites thread as I love it so much.

I didn't do the Color Challenge last week so maybe I'll try to do a card for it this week.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2018, 02:39 AM   #705  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
CARD CASE'R
VSN Coordinator

Merry Christmas!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2018, 08:22 PM   #706  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
CARD CASE'R
VSN Coordinator

The Sketch Challenge is up: Sketch Challenge 729 {12/26/18} by thecircleguru at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2018, 03:11 PM   #707  

Misti, thanks for posting the sketch! I love a tilted layer!

What did you do today? Did you get to create?

My daughter and I tried paint pouring. I will let you know how it turns out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2018, 04:22 PM   #708  
Stazon Splitcoast

Worked on some pieces for a couple of birthday cards I need in the first week of January. But now need to cook a Boxing Day dinner for friends. Luckily leftovers make up some of it!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2018, 12:16 AM   #709  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

We had a bachelor friend for a day-late Christmas dinner yesterday (he doesn't drive, there was no public transport on Christmas day and 130 miles each way was just a bit too far to pick him up on Christmas day ;-)) , so all I got done was one thank you card and one thank you email. And some knitting, more of a social activity...Today I hope to stamp. Paint pouring interests both of us, perhaps some time. I hope you both had fun, Angie.

The WTUI is ways to use Z. Zebra was my first thought, then I though of z folds before I got as far as making my card. I also thought of zentangling and I do believe I have a zinnia stamp somewhere in my collection.
WT720 - "Z" Last Challenge of the Year - (12/27/18) by ravengirl at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2018, 06:43 AM   #710  

Toni had a fun idea to use the last letter of the alphabet for the last Ways To Use It challenge!

I think I have to run to town to take a check to the bank and then Elisabeth needs to return some things she ordered because they don't look right so I hope to get to create at some point today!

The paint pouring was a lot of fun. I got a few "cells" in mine but not a lot and Elisabeth didn't really get any in hers. Mine is drying faster than hers. Hers is pretty thick. Then she decided to add objects to hers! She is so fun. She added a die? dice? a feather, a screw, a pawn game piece. I will take pics when they are dry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2018, 07:06 AM   #711  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
CARD CASE'R
VSN Coordinator

I have a piece of zebra print dp that I saw the other day & wondered about using. :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2018, 12:19 PM   #712  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts

Thanks for mentioning Zinnias for the letter Z, Sabrina. It sent me looking for a Lockhart stamp I have and haven't used in ages!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2018, 01:06 PM   #713  
Stazon Splitcoast

I used a stencil of a zig zag Christmas tree as I have no zebras or zinnias, and couldn't think of a creative way to use zero, and I'm not a fan of fancy Z folds.

I've tried paint pouring, Angie - it's lots of fun, but I too had trouble getting many cells in mine.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2018, 04:56 PM   #714  

Susan, I am soooo disappointed. My husband told me to go ahead and use the little room he uses to store his backpacking gear, hang his uniforms etc. to dry our canvases. It's just a small room instead of a master bathroom. So I cleaned up the kitchen area where our canvases were drying and put them upstairs. My thinking was that he would feel relieved to have the kitchen area clean when he came home from work. Our house really doesn't have space for 4 adults and creativity. :( My husband was putting away some backpacking gear and something fell off his shelf and hit my canvas. Its just paint not the end of the world but it was soooo cool. So now I am wondering what do I do? Once it's completely dry do I gesso the whole thing and try to get the gouge out before I do another pour over the top? Will I ever have a flat surface again? Do I just move on to another canvas? Does anyone have any ideas?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2018, 06:35 PM   #715  
Proud Fan Club Member
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Ohhhh Ang this just might turn out to be the happiest craft opps-a-daisy ever! Years ago before paint pouring was called paint pouring LOL, the more lumpy and bumpy the canvas was (from previous paint), the better the effect you achieved.

There are a few things you can do, however it will never look the same as before. Think of this as a unique mixed media piece instead of a fluid gentle flowing piece of art. If your spoiled section is semi set, gouge out a shape/design, like leaves, tree, feathers, etc. Then let it dry and either paint these area or try and do a new pour in that area.

Alternatively, scrape some paint off in random areas from all over the canvas, then when dry cover with gesso and do a completely new pour. The paint will flow into the lower and raised areas and give you a fabulous textured piece of art. You could even try adhering old keys, cogs, scrunched up tape, cloth, left over Christmas trinkets etc and go for a completely different look.

Using old canvases is very addictive and a great way to spend a few hours bargain hunting in Charity stores.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2018, 07:03 PM   #716  

Thanks for the ideas! Elisabeth plans to create a pour with an old bumpy canvas she has.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2018, 07:08 PM   #717  

Well, I have been stalking the challenges because I have a card due in the morning and I have not started it yet! Yikes! I am not sure either challenge can help me since it's a specific type of card I need but I will think on it! Guess I better get busy!!! LOL

Free For All is to create a Thank You card! We need plenty of thank yous this time of year!

The Mix has us searching for faces!

Who do you send out thank yous to at this time of year? Does everyone who gave you a gift get one?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2018, 12:13 AM   #718  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

I'm afraid that when it comes to thank yous for Christmas/birthday gifts, while I will always say one it is most likely to be a phone-call, text, email or e-card. I have an American pen-friend with a minimal online presence so I always send her thank-you cards. Di (DiHere) and I always try to use something that the other person sent us when making our thank you cards. I've already made mine for her using some of the paper and a frame embellishment she gave me, and some of the images I had coloured to use on her Christmas card till DH vetoed them as not being Christmassy enough...but I can't upload yet as today is the first postal collection so she won't get it till Monday.

What a shame about your canvas, Angie, but yay to Susie for telling you it can still become a butterfly. Drying space would be a problem here too! It is even for gel printing which I hope to fit in a session of over the holidays.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2018, 12:20 AM   #719  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

P.s I took a peek at Polly's challenge when I was awake in the night... something I normally try not to do but I knew she'd have posted early. There are so many arty face images out there but they're not really my style. I'm glad Polly kept it wide open and said animal faces counted. Personally what came to mind was clock faces...plenty of character and individuality there too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2018, 07:23 AM   #720  

Clock faces would be a perfect image for this time of year, Sabrina. I like that you and Di use your gifts to one another for Thank Yous! Sweet idea.

I ended up ditching my Project Bin birthday sentiment and went searching for faces in my Project Bin collection. I too am glad Polly opened up the challenge to any kind of face. I love how the MIX challenge inspired my card for TPB birthday hop!

Here is a MIX question. I used Brushos and Reinkers so there were two mediums but does shaving cream count as a third medium?
Reply With Quote Likes