Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-27-2018, 05:06 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Is use it or Toss really effective or

am I just moving my horde of stuff into a new category?

I made a commitment to go through my unfinished projects and either finish them or toss them this year. I have managed to toss a number of items that just didn't work, yea me.

The problem comes with the projects, aka cards and diy books, etc that I have finished. I want a clean uncluttered room to hang out in and it occurred to me that maybe all I'm doing is moving something from unfinished to finished but still hoarded and therefore not accomplishing my ultimate goal. I have had fun making the items and crafty fun is definitely a plus but I'm thinking it is time to take a closer look at what and how I'm going to get that clean uncluttered room that I want.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2018, 05:34 AM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

If you love the items, or some of them, and enjoy having them around you, either in your craft space or elsewhere in your home, why not keep them?

I also like uncluttered, so have two white picture rails in my office/craft room that hold small finished projects and cards, plus some dup cards (and cards from others) are hung on the wall on an IKEA piece made for photos or cards. So it looks intentional.

On the other hand, if you don�t love them, I bet a nursing home or friends or relatives or someone would.

In case anyone is interested, some picture ledges have front lips that are a little too high so they block small items a bit. (You might be able to put a few layers of chipboard or thin wood trim on the bottom to raise items.) These have lower lips.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FJVYD2K...ter_B01C6YYNXW

And this is the IKEA photo/card holder:
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00329035/ Something similar wouldn�t be hard for some crafters to make.

Last edited by bjeans; 06-27-2018 at 07:39 AM.. Reason: Added links
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2018, 11:11 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ones I have made and want to save for future reference or use, I store in a decorative box. That way I can store many close together and inside of each other, etc. They are on a higher shelf that I need a stool to reach. I store them out in sight for awhile and then pack them away several at a time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2018, 12:29 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

I bought a old window frame with the intentions of having hubs hang chicken wire in the glass frames ( it still has glass in it) and I want to rotate happy mail that I have received and collected over time from crafty friends, ( right now all that art is in a box so I don't have to dust it and I have no flat surface space to display it on either) so, I am going to hang the window and have a "spot" for some to be out at a time. and just rotate it every so often.

(maybe something like that a dedicated space would work for you? and when the box is too full if this is your art, mail some off so you always have room to keep creating.?

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2018, 01:38 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

You made me think of the KonMari method of cleaning/decluttering/organizing. Her focus is to only keep items that bring you joy. Once they no longer bring joy, they should go. (That’s the short version ;) ).

You have found joy in creating those items. Now that time has passed and they’re keeping you from finding more joy in the space you want to relax in. Maybe thinking about it this way will make it easier for you to release them and step towards your goal?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2018, 04:49 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine is always: If you are getting happiness from having it around, keep it where you can continue to have it give you joy. If that time has past, find a place where it will bring you happiness to give it away - a school, a friend, donate to someplace where it will become someone else's treasure...a gift for someone's raffle off kit...bless it and let it fly...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2018, 05:19 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Stacy for the idea, but I have no wall space left in my room. With four doors and three windows, the wall space is limited. I do have track shelving though and I have two frames from Michael's that have glass and lots of cards displayed in them. I like stuff sitting out for awhile and then I have to make it less messy. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2018, 06:04 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Since posting this I have been thinking about the moving things around from one hoarding category (unfinished) to another (finished). Making things just for fun is a stumbling block for me it seems because afterwards I put those things away instead of doing something with them and I fall into that trap so easily. It is time to let some, okay many things go and pass the "joy" on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2018, 10:57 AM   #9  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 602 Likes on 422 Posts

Gift the items you make, I have been giving gift scrapbooks. I enjoy making them and they are well received as gifts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2018, 12:31 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Stacy, just gift them away. Put your ultimate favorite's in your memory box. If you have a memory box, lol. That's what I did with my favorite projects. It gives me joy when I open up that box. I sure don't want ten billion projects in there. I think I have like six.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2018, 06:03 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

I know, silly how we just make and make and make, then we turn around to find a mountain of stuff that someone could use if only we would share.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2018, 01:06 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I had those same problems with keeping my cards because in my mind, they all were my "favorites".

Then I discovered Cards for a Cause right here on SCS. I go through my cards every month and gift them to the cause, whatever it is.

It makes me feel good that someone is in need of the cards and they will be very appreciated. It doesn't matter how many you give away, some months it's just a few, others a few more, however many I want to share! Then I am more motivated to create more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2018, 03:51 PM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would separate categories 'finished' and "unfinished" in my thinking. If there are finished projects you really dislike, separate those out --to keep. Discontent is the precursor of growth! Depending on how much you have accumulated, think about the finished group you're satisfied with as the ones to give away, store, etc. But the finished group you're not satisfied with are the ones to hang on to. I know that sounds goofy but those are the projects you can learn the most from, the keys to your development. For the unfinished projects (again depending on how many you have),decide how much of a bore or (in my case how much of a horror) they are. The ones that most annoy or frustrate me are the ones I keep. Allow yourself room to grow, in both skill and insight into problem solving. The worst embarrassments have proved to me to be the most valuable. Nothing for me equals the satisfaction of reworking/redoing them a year (or even years) later as measures of my progress. I started way below zero in skill but even if I'd been a trained artist, I think I'd revisit my craft horrors --no greater satisfaction than conquering them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2018, 05:12 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 484 Likes on 304 Posts

If you have created books--you might contact a Cancer Center close to you and see if you could bring them for patients to use....I have gifted composition book journals to several undergoing chemo and they have used them to write questions they want to remember to ask about treatments and so forth as well just reflections and ranting while they are receiving the chemo or whatever treatments it may be.

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2018, 09:12 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 404 Likes on 305 Posts

This post (thread) just right out at me and to answer the original question - yes! It's effective. One year (back in 2015, I think) my mantra was Use it or Lose It (including supplies, things made, etc) and it worked! I kept my word and what I didn't use, went to church and Girl Scouts. It stung, but what a valuable lesson for myself not to hoard or go crazy buying. Now I'm more selective (especially at new stamp releases where I just had. to. have. it!)

But the best part of that mantra was the giving. I gave and haven't stopped - It taught me to mail more cards to friends, send more happy mail, give to charities. It was as enriching as it was educational ♥

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My Instagram: kellyannsanti
My YouTube channel

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-09-2018, 06:46 AM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by joniworxView Post
Mine is always: If you are getting happiness from having it around, keep it where you can continue to have it give you joy. If that time has past, find a place where it will bring you happiness to give it away - a school, a friend, donate to someplace where it will become someone else's treasure...a gift for someone's raffle off kit...bless it and let it fly...

And to add just another idea to this - you could always abandon your art! There are several art abandonment groups on Facebook that you might join to get inspiration from as well as printable tags for your art to let people know it is free.
Reply With Quote Likes