Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-09-2018, 08:21 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 🇦🇺 HELP! Outlet or Factory stores

🇦🇺
Hi, I am visiting US next month from Australia for 7 weeks, my first visit & I am excited!
Although on two big organised tours, I have a free weeks in San Fransisco, Los Angeles & New York. I have free days in Las Vegas, Chicago, New Orleans & Denver.
I was hoping to find some Factory outlets for paper craft supplies whilst I am in the US as costs are pretty hefty once shipped to Australia.
Can anybody help point me in the right direction. (I�ll be using public transport, no car available.)
🙏
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2018, 10:02 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure Viva Las Vegas stamps still has a store in Las Vegas. Here's their website:
VivaLasVegaStamps Online

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2018, 02:20 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In New York, the Ink Pad could easily be combined with a sightseeing trip to Greenwich Village. Subway accessible. 7th Ave and 13th St. The Ink Pad NYC
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2018, 02:23 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

in my mind factory outlets are deep discounts stores...
and I am not really sure I have ever heard of one of those for paper craft type merchandise. That being said we do have some "big box" type stores for crafts and the names of them are Micheal's, Joanns fabrics, Hobby Lobby, etc. and I am thinking if you google those stores it will tell you if any of them have locations near your hotels?

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2018, 02:25 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

I want to mention, that many of the smaller stamping and scrapbook stores have closed. For example, there's very little left in Chicago. There are a few stores left in the Chicago suburbs, but they would be difficult to reach by punlic transportation. They couldn't meet the competition of the online sales. Big Box stores like Michael's and JoAnn's do carry some papercrafting supplies. These stores are found in most large cities. If you go to their website, you can almost always get a 40% off coupon.

Last edited by Illinois Marge; 04-10-2018 at 02:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2018, 02:37 PM   #6  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks for the suggestions. The two places mentioned are both within walking distance, so even better.
Yes, online sales have affected shop stores here in Oz as well! 🙁
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2018, 02:42 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am wondering, if you checked with your hotel, perhaps you could buy online and ship the package to the hotel and have them hold it for you? You would save on the international shipping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2018, 03:15 PM   #8  
Cardstock Collector

Now why didn’t I think of that Illinois Marge. Spellbinders have loads of discontinued dies on offer! Hmmmm??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2018, 03:24 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts
Smile

check and see if there are any Tuesday Morning close by. The stores in Texas have great priced items.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2018, 05:28 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by skypView Post
Now why didn�t I think of that Illinois Marge. Spellbinders have loads of discontinued dies on offer! Hmmmm??

Just be sure to check with the hotel to see if they will hold a package for you. Or, if you know anyone who lives in the US cities that you will be visiting and you could mail to them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2018, 01:27 AM   #11  
Cardstock Collector

I second the suggestion of Tuesday Morning, and would also suggest Big Lots as it is a similar concept, but usually with completely different product.

As for true outlet stores, I have only ever found one. It isn't anywhere near any of the big cities you mentioned, but I'll tell you about it just in case you pass through the area on your way through. There's actually two stores in the same strip mall - Your Scrapbook Superstore, and a clearance store a few doors down, where they sell off everything that didn't sell in the main store, all at 50% off retail. These stores are located in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee (a tourist town if ever there was one!).

There are some kinda harsh reviews on facebook for the full price store (and the hike to the bathrooms is no joke!) but I spent most of my time in the clearance outlet anyway, and they were plenty friendly. Haven't been able to get back there for a few years, but I've been visiting since at least 2000, so I don't think it's going anywhere. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2018, 04:24 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

I wanted to mention, some pretty "big name" craft celebrities often teach classes at the Ink Pad in NYC. Check their class listings if you have a free afternoon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2018, 05:19 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Viva Las Vegas is, indeed, still here! They're in a kind of sketchy neighborhood, but it's a fun place to go. There are only rubber stamps (no inks or papers or whatever), but they have gazillions! In addition to the rows and rows of wood-mounted on shelves, they have several large bins around the store with unmounted, unidentified rubber that you can dig through to find treasures ($1 ea or 12 for $10), there's also a literal mountain of used stamps (all brands) for $2 ea. I scored an adorable PSX kewpie out of that pile, as well as a single stamp from an SU set (the only one I wanted out of that particular set). The unmounted rubber are the same stamps as those on the shelves, and the staff is very friendly and helpful - they'll show you which stamp it is on the shelf so you can better tell if you want it. If you want/need someone to guide you to it or just want to hang, I'd be happy to join you... ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2018, 06:29 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

I don't know if this helps but Hero Arts has their factory store in Richmond, CA...which is just across the bay from San Francisco. Depending on traffic, maybe 40 minutes? Or in Petaluma, CA there is the Mrs. Grossman's Paper Factory for stickers and such. They're about 45 minutes north of SF just off Hwy 101. I think for them, its tours by appointment. You can check them out online. They have a great little store on site with millions of stickers (it seems!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2018, 07:29 AM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

How exciting!! I hope you have a fabulous time! If you want to PM me, we can talk about what is good in NYC to do (up to a point I am not an expert but can help) For sure you have to do some research first. Timing is important. A lot of things take longer than they tell you for example.

We have a Michaels in NYC at 808 Columbus Ave. Uptown Manhattan on the West side. We have another one at 6th ave (ave of the americas) and 22nd street downstairs. Nice space-there is a lovely atrium where the jewelry stuff is. You can take subways to both.
The Ink Pad is a swell tiny shop with a LOT of product and helpful staff, but it isnt cheap...unless you score in the discount bins they usually have going. She has to make Manhattan rent. It can be more than what the mfgs charge at times.

Have you considered using a freight forwarder? They are not just for companies and container loads. I have known people who did it but not to Oz so I dont if possible/rates. Sometimes it works-esp if you split it with other people back home.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2018, 07:33 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Hero Arts is great if you can get there... definitely hire a car or a friend lol. The store is only open Mondays and Wednesdays so definitely pay attention to that.
There's a small store with lots of deals on all kinds of products... I got some good deals on inks, some paper pads, stamps, dies, etc. The warehouse is right behind there and if you want to buy current stuff, you fill out an order form and they go pull it right then so you can buy on the spot with no shipping.
Everyone was really nice and helpful! You definitely get the sense it's a smaller, more personal company.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2018, 08:40 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One more idea...you may want to google rubber stamp conventions - if there happens to be one nearby - you'll get about 40-50 stores all in one place! Here is a link to some information - https://www.rsmadness.com/conventions.html. Good luck and enjoy your visit (you may want to bring an empty suitcase to bring home your goodies! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2018, 12:56 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Viva Las Vegas is, indeed, still here! They're in a kind of sketchy neighborhood, but it's a fun place to go. There are only rubber stamps (no inks or papers or whatever), but they have gazillions! In addition to the rows and rows of wood-mounted on shelves, they have several large bins around the store with unmounted, unidentified rubber that you can dig through to find treasures ($1 ea or 12 for $10), there's also a literal mountain of used stamps (all brands) for $2 ea. I scored an adorable PSX kewpie out of that pile, as well as a single stamp from an SU set (the only one I wanted out of that particular set). The unmounted rubber are the same stamps as those on the shelves, and the staff is very friendly and helpful - they'll show you which stamp it is on the shelf so you can better tell if you want it. If you want/need someone to guide you to it or just want to hang, I'd be happy to join you... ;)

If you're going to be in Vegas, you need to go here! TONS and tons of stamps! In fact, they have so many I suggest you visit their website and look around first. I got quite overwhelmed in the store.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-12-2018, 03:14 PM   #19  
Cardstock Collector

Thank you all for your suggestions. Have added Viva Las Vegas & Hero Arts as definite visits. Still exploring other suggestions before flying. ��
Reply With Quote Likes