Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-15-2018, 05:06 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sentiment placement when using a printer

Hi all, I am not sure how to word this so stick with me if you can and hopefully my question will make sense. If you use SCAL, you know how when you open up the program it brings up a Cricut mat? It lets you put your design exactly where you want it to be on the mat. Is there a way to do this when printing cards? Something that would show where, exactly, your image or sentiment would show up on the paper? I have tried to make a spreadsheet that is to scale but it isn't working out for me - would it be somewhere in the printing preferences? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2018, 07:33 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Do you have Microsoft Publisher, if so this might help
Make greeting cards and invitations using Publisher - Publisher

I tried it out and it works....god where would I be in this world without Google;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2018, 11:21 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks! I am going to give it a shot. I did a search on why MS Windows shows margins at, for example, 1/2" but when you actually print, it prints at 1/2" plus a little more and while everyone was asking why, no one could come up with a definitive answer as to WHY or how to fix it. (All of the fixes they suggested came back the same way). I tried Excel thinking it might be different but no such luck
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2018, 06:05 PM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do this all the time in my Silhouette Cameo software for printing the inside layer of the card. I just created a rectangle the size of my card, then add my sentiment wear I want it. The rectangle won't print unless I tell it to. I'll have 4 rectangles per page; print it (without registration marks) and then use my trimmer to cut (instead of the program).

I hope that makes sense...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2018, 10:54 AM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Corel Draw (I use the full blown version) but they have a home version pretty cheap. There are no limitations as to where you can put things on a sheet. And you can specify the sheet size. Comes with lots of fonts which is nice. Been using it since version 4 and now we are on 18. It's also not hard to learn. Tons of videos on YT as well. It's a drag and drop it where you want it sort of thing. So no hoops to jump through. How it looks on screen is how it will look on your printed page. I do my card and envelope layouts for printing in this program.

I even do my Cricut layouts in Draw. I have a mock up sheet with the 1/4" margins on left and top. Layout all my vectors on the sheet the way I want them. Export as svg. I also print my stuff that way and have Cricut cut it out. Seems to work pretty flawlessly once you do it a couple of times.

They have a free trial. Might want to give it a try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2018, 01:53 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want to stay with SCAL, maybe you might find an answer on the tool and product board and put SCAL in the title. I feel sure there is a setting to specify the printed page dimensions and different size cutting mats, as SCAL can be used with other brands than Cricut. About the margins, I think some printers support borderless printing so they can print right up to the edge of the paper but most can’t. I’m wondering if what you see in Word is because the printer’s margin is being added to the margin Word puts in?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2018, 02:42 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks ladies I tried Publisher and seem to be having the same issue. I think you are right, AussieJenny that it could be my printer. I am going to look at Corel Draw - drag and drop is FOR SURE my kind of program!! They might have a trial version that I could test before buying anything. I am just really growing tired of purchasing sentiment stamps when I have a computer with so many fonts and styles. I am going to keep trying though - not giving up that easily!!
Reply With Quote Likes