Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-29-2017, 06:53 AM   #41  
Stampin' Fool

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Time. A great big bottle o'time:p
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2017, 09:35 AM   #42  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

A kick-in-the-butt-and-brain machine for the procrastinator aka me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2017, 10:31 AM   #43  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryalenaView Post
What it feels like to me is glycerin. Glycerin has that funny slippery feeling that I would describe as greasy. I'm just guessing what's in it.
I was curious about the couple of comments, and since I'm usually on auto-pilot when cleaning, I stamped several times with heavy coatings of Versafine in different colors using a naked rubber stamp on a Misti, and then sprayed with Ultra Clean. IOW, I went overboard on purpose.

And now I get it. The glycerin - or whatever it is - does have a slick, slippery feeling at first. And when drying the stamp - still on the Misti - with the microfiber towel, my finger tips temporarily almost squeaked when I rubbed them together. After drying, there was no slipperiness or residue on the stamp or Misti.

But I know what people are talking about. It's not like using plain water.
: )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2017, 05:39 AM   #44  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

I would like someone to invent dies that automatically release the chaff left behind after cutting with them. It takes so long to clean up the intricate ones sometimes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2017, 06:23 AM   #45  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLadyView Post
I didn't think I had an idea, but as I read everyone's comments, one came to me! Or I remembered one I'd had tucked away in my head. LOL Something I have been gripping about to myself.... I HATE having to buy the cutting plates for my Big Shot! What? Just to have them run through the machine & then, thrown away? I would like cutting plates that are SELF HEALING & LAST MUCH LONGER than the ones out there! I mean they can create "Self Healing Cutting Mats!" ;) (And have you noticed? They seem to be thinner to me! So, they don't last as long now or cut as crisp!)
I actually DO use a self-healing mat with my Big Shot! It's intended for the Accuquilt Go! machines, but I don't care - I almost never use anything for its intended purpose, anyway. It's a bit thinner than a regular cutting plate, so I have to shim, but there's always the possibility of that with regular cutting plates, too. There are various sizes available, as well. I use the 6" x 12" one. Here's a link: https://www.accuquilt.com/shop/acces...ting-mats

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2017, 06:32 AM   #46  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Sue! THANK YOU for telling me about the Accu Quilt Plates! I would have NEVER KNOWN!!! LOL WHY isn't this talked about more? It is even cheaper than the cutting plates! Do you have to replace it much? I am SO TICKLED that you told me about this! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2017, 07:14 AM   #47  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I haven't replaced it at all, but I tend to go in "creative spurts" where it gets a workout for awhile, then sits idle for a time. One thing that you might want to be aware of: tiny bits of paper can get embedded in the cuts, so have some kind of brush handy to whisk them away, and it'll be a much more satisfying experience. I use one intended for suede shoes, but even a microfiber towel would work.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2017, 08:41 AM   #48  
Hardware Hotshot

Thank You SO MUCH Sue! You know the bits of paper get stuck in the acrylic plates too.... I just brush them away, but I do find they mar the paper in the end. I got right on ordering one of the Accu Quilt Plates! Amazon carries them too--same price! ;) I WILL keep in mind to brush those papers away with a brush--Thank you for the tip!! AND I am SO HAPPY you've NEVER had to replace it! I am like you too, with bursts of creativity! THANK YOU SUE!!! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2017, 08:47 AM   #49  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocksideView Post
I would like someone to invent dies that automatically release the chaff left behind after cutting with them. It takes so long to clean up the intricate ones sometimes.
One word: quick release paper. Well that's three, actually. I only use it for those fussy, detailed dies, but nothing sticks to the die. And I'm also left with another die cut made from the quick release paper - semi-transparent, with a little printing on it, kind of neat for some projects.

Two rolls and a serrated edge to cut it: Couture Creations Quick Release Die Paper - Marco's Paper

And here's one die brush. Mine is a different brand but they tend to work the same. I use it occasionally but for really detailed dies I stick with the quick release paper and remove it over a tallish trash can.

https://www.amazon.com/Sizzix-660513...zzix+Die+brush
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2017, 09:31 AM   #50  
Hardware Hotshot

bjeans, is this paper like Wax paper? Tissue? Foil? It does look INTERESTING! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2017, 09:52 AM   #51  
Gallery Gazer

TLady, it's reminds me of extremely thin deli paper or wax paper without the wax.

As inexpensive as it is, I figured it would be worth a try, and never looked back. It can be hard to find in stock. I bought three packs from Marco's and they were going to mail one while waiting for more, but I told them to wait if they wanted. They quickly had more in stock.

The little bits are very light and fly-away, which is why I remove everything over a trash can. But it's easier to deal with those than the bits stuck in the occasional recalcitrant die, at least for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2017, 10:37 AM   #52  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 186 Likes on 88 Posts

So you run the quick release paper through in the die by itself, then then leave it and run through with your cardstock? Maybe I misunderstood the directions, but the video was unavailable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2017, 10:51 AM   #53  
Gallery Gazer

You just put the release paper in between the die and cardstock, using whatever sandwich you generally use - no extra step. Make sense?

Here's a little video I found. What I like the most is not having bits stuck in the metal die. Plus the bonus translucent die cut.

https://m.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2017, 08:50 PM   #54  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 186 Likes on 88 Posts

Wow. That does look great!Thank you for the video and for the clarification.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2017, 06:39 AM   #55  
Hardware Hotshot

This REALLY IS A SUPER VIDEO, showing JUST HOW EASY the card stock comes free of the die!!! It is PRETTY TOO! LOL ;) THANK YOU bjeans!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2017, 08:33 AM   #56  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cutting mats

Quote:

Originally Posted by lutheranView Post
I would invent a better stamping surface. Cutting mats with padding on one side is not thick enough. Foam pads, like mouse pads, are too thick. I need cutting, measuring, stamping and taping all in one pad. Dream on, huh.Mary Beth
You might look at the cutting mats designed for quilters.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2017, 08:39 AM   #57  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Healing Big Shot plates

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLadyView Post
I didn't think I had an idea, but as I read everyone's comments, one came to me! Or I remembered one I'd had tucked away in my head. LOL Something I have been gripping about to myself.... I HATE having to buy the cutting plates for my Big Shot! What? Just to have them run through the machine & then, thrown away? I would like cutting plates that are SELF HEALING & LAST MUCH LONGER than the ones out there! I mean they can create "Self Healing Cutting Mats!" ;) (And have you noticed? They seem to be thinner to me! So, they don't last as long now or cut as crisp!)
I've seen instructions online for "healing" the plates by heating them in the oven. I haven't tried it, but a friend says it works like a charm.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2017, 12:10 PM   #58  
Hardware Hotshot

THANK YOU stampincatlady! I have since tried the self-healing GO! Accuquilt plate, & I LOVE IT! ;) I was having trouble with it cutting all the way through, needing a shim... (I figured out, to just use paper!) Well, I got the tan embossing mat STUCK in my Big Shot! LOL I thought I had ruined my Big Shot, but I got a piece of Wax Paper & tried to run it through. NOTHING was going through that baby at that point! LOL But, I was able to pull it free after trying the wax paper! I thought it might help in getting it out. WON'T be doing that anymore! LOL It is SO NICE to know there is a way to do die cutting without spending all of your $$$ on Die cutting plates! ;) THANK YOU LADIES!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2017, 04:36 PM   #59  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

I would like something that I can't find, but think must be out there if I knew where to look. My beloved guillotine paper cutter has lost most of the graph lines. I have already painstakingly redrawn them on with a fine-tipped Sharpie (no easy task), but they rubbed off as well. The surface is metal and the lines were painted on, not grooved. A friend gave me a plastic printed piece with adhesive on it that only covers about half the surface, but I was ecstatic, especially since it had tinier divisions. However, as it turns out, there is another piece of plastic on the top that began to pull up that revealed the top side to have adhesive as well. Not sure under which situation you would use a graph/ruler with two sticky sides. Anyway that's what I want. I think I could use such a thing for other purposes, as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2017, 03:22 AM   #60  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
I would like something that I can't find, but think must be out there if I knew where to look. My beloved guillotine paper cutter has lost most of the graph lines. I have already painstakingly redrawn them on with a fine-tipped Sharpie (no easy task), but they rubbed off as well. The surface is metal and the lines were painted on, not grooved. A friend gave me a plastic printed piece with adhesive on it that only covers about half the surface, but I was ecstatic, especially since it had tinier divisions. However, as it turns out, there is another piece of plastic on the top that began to pull up that revealed the top side to have adhesive as well. Not sure under which situation you would use a graph/ruler with two sticky sides. Anyway that's what I want. I think I could use such a thing for other purposes, as well.
Clear grids with sticky on one side are out there, sold as alignment guides for clear stamping blocks. If I still had mine from years ago, I would mail you a sheet, but I sold e'm all. A quick search for block guides (or similar phrasing) should get you come choices.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2017, 05:46 AM   #61  
Pearl-ExPert

WooHoo, Mary Beth. Thanks for the key word suggestion, as everything I tried before didn't work. Off to give it a try! Hope they are lots bigger than clear stamping blocks as my surface is 12" x 12"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2017, 03:29 PM   #62  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Magic beans so I can immediately do any technique wonderfully....including coloring. I will have enough still to think about deciding what to use and do in the first place.

I love the someone who comes and takes the supplies you are ready to let go off and gives you money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2017, 05:19 PM   #63  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by lutheranView Post
Clear grids with sticky on one side are out there, sold as alignment guides for clear stamping blocks. If I still had mine from years ago, I would mail you a sheet, but I sold e'm all. A quick search for block guides (or similar phrasing) should get you come choices.
Mary Beth
I search under as many iterations of key words, but the closest I could come was acrylic block that had grids built in. Any more suggestions for search words?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2017, 05:27 AM   #64  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

I search under as many iterations of key words, but the closest I could come was acrylic block that had grids built in. Any more suggestions for search words?
There's adhesive backed film out there, but I've only seen it with a 1" grid.

What if you went over the lines again with your Sharpie and covered it with Duralar adhesive backed film?
https://www.dickblick.com/products/g...e-backed-film/

Other places sell it as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2017, 06:16 AM   #65  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
There's adhesive backed film out there, but I've only seen it with a 1" grid.

What if you went over the lines again with your Sharpie and covered it with Duralar adhesive backed film?
https://www.dickblick.com/products/g...e-backed-film/

Other places sell it as well.
Thanks, if I get up the gumption to do the relining again! It was nerve racking. You gave me the idea, though, to put back the grid I have that is sticky on both sides and put on the sheet of acetate over the top sticky side and hope that it won't pull up. The biggest problem is that what I have doesn't cover the whole surface. Rather than 9 1/2 inches across, it is only 6, so I choose to split the difference. That leaves especially on edge that gets knocked with cardstock. The carrier piece is a pretty thick/stiff piece of acetate, so maybe what you suggested could cover the whole top and at least let me use the partial grid that I have. Now, why didn't I think of that?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2017, 10:48 PM   #66  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

jeanne3579, could you try adhering grid/graph paper and cover it with clear Contact shelf liner?

Here's a link where you can print your own graph paper: https://www.waterproofpaper.com/graph-paper/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2017, 07:45 AM   #67  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
jeanne3579, could you try adhering grid/graph paper and cover it with clear Contact shelf liner?

Here's a link where you can print your own graph paper: https://www.waterproofpaper.com/graph-paper/
This may be the answer! Now I'm thinking I could print a graph on laminate?
Thanks so much for the link.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2017, 09:54 AM   #68  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

This may be the answer! Now I'm thinking I could print a graph on laminate?
Thanks so much for the link.
If you're just looking for a graph on laminate, some of these in the package have 1/4" grids on them, though they're 8.5x11. They could be adhere to your base.
https://www.amazon.com/Dritz-Quiltin...ets%2C+6-Count

Or you could adhere graph to the base and put adhesive-backed Duralar over it. Or some combination of the previous posts and your ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2017, 10:00 AM   #69  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

If you're just looking for a graph on laminate, some of these in the package have 1/4" grids on them, though they're 8.5x11. They could be adhere to your base.
https://www.amazon.com/Dritz-Quiltin...ets%2C+6-Count

Or you could adhere graph to the base and put adhesive-backed Duralar over it. Or some combination of the previous posts and your ideas.
I love all the suggestions. The Dritz ones don't seem to be laminate and I can't tell how thick they are. I have to have something very thin so the cutter works properly.

I'm getting close to my first try of printing the graph on laminate. I like the fact that the graph is in eighths. It's free for the asking, so I would only be risking a piece of laminate. I have a roll of it, so I will let you al know what happens.

Thanks so much everyone for your help and support.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2017, 10:18 AM   #70  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

I love all the suggestions. The Dritz ones don't seem to be laminate and I can't tell how thick they are. I have to have something very thin so the cutter works properly.

I'm getting close to my first try of printing the graph on laminate. I like the fact that the graph is in eighths. It's free for the asking, so I would only be risking a piece of laminate. I have a roll of it, so I will let you al know what happens.

Thanks so much everyone for your help and support.
I have the Dritz. They're flexible and thin but sturdy, not a film. I use them for stamping templates. In case you'd like to get a sense of thickness, etc., here's a youtube video (using them for templates). It's a different brand but identical from what I could tell when I bought mine after I watched the video. : )

https://m.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2017, 10:28 AM   #71  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I have the Dritz. They're flexible and thin but sturdy, not a film. I use them for stamping templates. In case you'd like to get a sense of thickness, etc., here's a youtube video (using them for templates). It's a different brand but identical from what I could tell when I bought mine after I watched the video. : )

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=95OldeznYdY
It doesn't seem to have an adhesive. Am I right?
Reply With Quote Likes