Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-27-2016, 10:07 AM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Changing styles and what's old is new again!

I've undertaken creating an index of sorts for my SU! stamps - something I should have done long ago. In the past, I'd decentralized and split a bunch of sets, so I'm trying to reassemble them to get a good list. I've been looking back at old catalogs on Current & Retired Catalogs - Stampin-Style to find names on those that have none and what bits and pieces go together. I am amazed at how current some of the sets look -- mason jars and such -- but how outdated others are. It's a fun trip down memory lane!

My Little Gallery -- Thanks for looking!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2016, 11:54 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Makes a good case for hanging onto some of the "oldies but goodies", no? I find the same thing when I'm purging/rearranging/organizing. However - I've been able to let a few things go lately that I NEVER thought I would. I've finally faced the fact that I will most likely never, ever use that particular image or sentiment (even if I still love it), so I'm sending more and more out "into the flow". I'm trying to pare down to only what I TRULY will use! It's so very hard to be so very honest with one's self...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2016, 06:06 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

I'm finding sets that have never seen ink (Totally Tabs? What was I thinking??) and others that I once loved but haven't used in ages. Once all the sets are reunited, it will be time for some stampin' soul searching

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2016, 02:10 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I started an SU index years ago but never kept up with it!

I love going down memory lane! I keep all my SU catalogs and about once a year on a cold, snowy day I pull them out and Ohhhhh and ahhhhhh over them! I have the really old canning jar and accessory set from SU. I've only used it a few times. I like the new set with the handle stamp, different size jars, water stamp, and I love the flowers! Thinking of getting rid of the old set!

I too have plenty of stamps I love but rarely use! It's because of two things.....I really don't make that many cards! I haven't bought a card in 10 years but I still don't churn out piles!

I also go to card classes because I just love them! I have lots of cards in reserve so I don't always need to make a card....I pull from the reserve.

Last there has been so many times I've had a set in my sale or donate pile that I need, and I go looking to see if I still have it! I'm relieved I hadn't gotten rid of it. If it gets pulled I keep it. There are these random times that come up and I need a certain set I thought I should cast off.

I'm always very happy I still have it. Of all the sets I've actually gotten rid of I'm happy to say they were really "done" and I didn't retgret getting rid of them.

I also have Totally Tabs! I've used here and there. I was just looking at it! I still like it! Haha!

Last edited by Allistamps123; 06-29-2016 at 02:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2016, 06:37 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

I have a lot of the speckled backgrounds -- Itty Bitty Backgrounds and the like -- in the sale or donate pile. I'm still on the fence on those. Also, all the Little Layers and a bunch of frame type stamps. It seems that my style has changed and I don't use them. But will it change again and then I'll be sorry to have gotten rid of them? Wow . . . 1st world problems

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2016, 11:24 AM   #6  
Cardstock Collector

I am in process of going through all my SU wood mounted stamps and deciding what to get rid of or un-mount and organize in the newer SU cases. My SU inventory list had not been updated since 2001 - YIKES!

I also had many sets that were split apart by theme. I gave up hunting those down - way to much work. But I did find Totally Tabs - how funny!

I also have lots of stamps never touched. Some never even mounted. I need to spend less time organizing and more time stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2016, 12:29 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by JojamarieView Post
I also had many sets that were split apart by theme. I gave up hunting those down - way to much work.
It's like an obsession now . . . MUST KNOW THE NAME!!:eek:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2016, 03:23 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

I indexed everything, stamp sets, punches, dsp, you name it using Evernote.com. Now I just go to my evernote and I can see at a glance everything I have. I even tagged things so I search "bicycle" for instance and every set I have that has a bicycle in it will come up. Love it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2016, 04:28 AM   #9  
Inking Addict

I've never indexed my stamps but I don't have HUGE inventory of them.
I have sterlite drawers that are sorted by themes: 1. Birthday/Thinking of you
2. Other Sentiments: Sympathy, Funny, etc 3. Images 4. Background Images
5. Alphas (2 drawers of these).
I mostly use sentiment stamps for cards and alpha stamps for scrapbooking.
I recently parted with some that I felt were taking up precious space and also never saw ink! I took the stamps to my scrapbook night and let my friends have at 'em. I am sure they found a good home and will know who to borrow from should I be looking for them, lol!
I do love going through my stash of stamps and all other scrapbook/card related supplies and falling in love with something old. I make it a mission to mix old and new, it gives me such satisfaction! Weird, I know...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2016, 07:39 AM   #10  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 186 Likes on 88 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JojamarieView Post
I am in process of going through all my SU wood mounted stamps and deciding what to get rid of or un-mount and organize in the newer SU cases. My SU inventory list had not been updated since 2001 - YIKES!

I also had many sets that were split apart by theme. I gave up hunting those down - way to much work. But I did find Totally Tabs - how funny!

I also have lots of stamps never touched. Some never even mounted. I need to spend less time organizing and more time stamping!
When I had some major surgery, mounting sets was a recovery activity. I pulled the unmourned sets ahead of time, and when I got home from the hospital, I could lay in bed and mount them. This was back when we only had wood mounted. After all that, my hands were tired. Not sure how many of them actually ever saw ink.

I too had an inventory.
One was just a running list alphabetically on the computer. I don't think I've updated for at least 6 years.
The other was a binder with each image from the set stamped on a piece of computer paper. Then, when we got the new ones, I copied the pictures only the front of the case instead. (A lot quicker.) but, that hasn't been updated in several years either. Sigh.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2016, 07:43 AM   #11  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 186 Likes on 88 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by justampinView Post
I indexed everything, stamp sets, punches, dsp, you name it using Evernote.com. Now I just go to my evernote and I can see at a glance everything I have. I even tagged things so I search "bicycle" for instance and every set I have that has a bicycle in it will come up. Love it.
Tell me about Evernote. I went there, but I'm on my iPad, and it says that iPad doesn't support Evernote, so I need to pull out the computer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2016, 01:24 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I have 2 binders with all my stamps indexed. One is for holiday stamps: Valentine's, Easter, Halloween, Thanksgiving and tons of Christmas. The other is for everything else. I started the binders 30 years ago with my first stamps and have indexed every stamp I own before it gets used. The rest of my stuff [dies, embossing folders, stencils, sequins, rhinestones & pearls, inks, paper, markers, etc.] I keep in databases on my computer. I do all my shopping online so it makes it easy to keep track of what I already have; and if I'm ordering stamps, I just bring the binders to the computer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2016, 03:25 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Here is a link to a blog post that explains Evernote really well.

3 Monkeys throwing around some....PAPER!!!: Stamp Index, Keeping track of all those stamps! Evernote & Crafting!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2016, 04:13 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any hints and tricks about how to do this? I've considered Evernote several times but was a bit overwhelmed with my perceived need to plan the approach. Fear that I'd miss something and have to redo it so I never got started.

Added: I should have read farther down the replies before I posted
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2016, 04:44 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

Evernote is a great tool. It is compatible with all devices. I use it on my Apple iPad, Samsung Note 4 (Android) and my Windows PC. I pay for the subscription so I have access to my notes when I am not connected to the internet. You can use it any way you want to use it. There is not a right or wrong way. You just need to start creating notes and tagging them with useful keywords. I love Heather's idea to organize stamps that way. I need to add that to my Evernote database.

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2016, 05:37 AM   #16  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Explanation of our addiction

Just to insert a little humor into this thread..I saw this years ago, and it made me giggle and also makes a lot of sense.. And yes, I am addicted and have stamps that make me go "what was I going to do with that???"

A recent study indicated that rubber stamps and embossing powders give off certain pheromones that actually hypnotize women and cause them to purchase unreasonable amounts.
When stored in large quantities in enclosed spaces, the pheromones (rubber) cause memory loss and include the nesting syndrome (the rubber emits a very high pitched sound, heard only by a select few..a breed of women know as �Rubber Stampers�. When played backwards on an LP, the sounds are heard as chants, �buy me, stamp me, emboss me.�
Studies have also indicated that aliens have inhabited the earth, helping to spread the effects that these stamps have on the human population. It�s also been experienced that these same pheromones cause a pathological need to hide these stamp purchases when taken home (or at least blend them into the existing stash), and when asked by a significant other if the stamp is new, the reply is: �Oh I�ve had it for a while.�
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2016, 05:44 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithaneView Post
Tell me about Evernote. I went there, but I'm on my iPad, and it says that iPad doesn't support Evernote, so I need to pull out the computer.
Evernote makes apps for iPads and iPhones - just check the app store.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2016, 06:38 AM   #18  
Inking Addict

Default Too funny. Too me.

This is HILARIOUS! I have this syndrome!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendatooView Post
Just to insert a little humor into this thread..I saw this years ago, and it made me giggle and also makes a lot of sense.. And yes, I am addicted and have stamps that make me go "what was I going to do with that???"

A recent study indicated that rubber stamps and embossing powders give off certain pheromones that actually hypnotize women and cause them to purchase unreasonable amounts.
When stored in large quantities in enclosed spaces, the pheromones (rubber) cause memory loss and include the nesting syndrome (the rubber emits a very high pitched sound, heard only by a select few..a breed of women know as �Rubber Stampers�. When played backwards on an LP, the sounds are heard as chants, �buy me, stamp me, emboss me.�
Studies have also indicated that aliens have inhabited the earth, helping to spread the effects that these stamps have on the human population. It�s also been experienced that these same pheromones cause a pathological need to hide these stamp purchases when taken home (or at least blend them into the existing stash), and when asked by a significant other if the stamp is new, the reply is: �Oh I�ve had it for a while.�
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2016, 06:55 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin' SoozView Post
I'm finding sets that have never seen ink (Totally Tabs? What was I thinking??) and others that I once loved but haven't used in ages. Once all the sets are reunited, it will be time for some stampin' soul searching
Of course I had to look up the stamp set you mentioned. Uh, yes, I imagine you saw one awesome card made using it, and bit. I have several stamps and sets I bought for that reason. Of course I never find the original idea. sigh
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2016, 07:32 AM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

I still like Totally Tabs A few months ago I FINALLY decided to purge my stamps. Took me awhile because I kept changing my mind and putting them back I agree with Allistamps123...........some of my very old sets have come in very handy with a particular challenge or event. Even if they don't get used very much, it's nice to have them when needed.

My only wish is that some of those very old stamps would come back for an anniversary sale or something. There are some really nice stamp sets from SU that I would love, love, love to have from before I started stamping.

The other thing about purging...........if you have room to keep your stamps, it is wise to keep the investment you have made, because you can never recoup even half the price you paid for them!!!!
Mary ~~ QFTD #152, FS#514CC Guest Design Team 2012, 2013, 2017 & 2022 2014 CAS Spring Design Team Member SC Guest Design Team 2015 & 2022 SU Consultant "Life's greatest adventure is finding your place in the Circle of Life" - Lion King
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2016, 05:00 PM   #21  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 108 Likes on 70 Posts

I made a great spreadsheet index of all my stamps and dies because I caught myself buying the same thing twice a few times. Guess I really loved that set, right? Anyway, the only thing wring wit being so organized is the shock that comes when you discover you now have 862 sets of stamps. No THERE is a "what was I thinking?" Like Sue, I am now trying to be honest and pare down to what I really, really love, but it is so hard. I was just sure I would use each and every set many times. I am hoping having fewer choices will actually increase my mojo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2016, 06:42 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MN_StamperView Post
I made a great spreadsheet index of all my stamps and dies because I caught myself buying the same thing twice a few times. Guess I really loved that set, right? Anyway, the only thing wring wit being so organized is the shock that comes when you discover you now have 862 sets of stamps. No THERE is a "what was I thinking?" Like Sue, I am now trying to be honest and pare down to what I really, really love, but it is so hard. I was just sure I would use each and every set many times. I am hoping having fewer choices will actually increase my mojo.
It does...at least for me. Too many choices and I remain static, completely unable to choose...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2016, 09:08 PM   #23  
Cardstock Collector

I am using an Excel spreadsheet (you could use Access database if you're a more advanced computer user!) and use columns to accumulate tags and other info, and then I can sort each column, or do a search. I keep the file on OneDrive so I can use it on my PC, laptop, tablet, and phone. On the phone, I can look while shopping to make sure I don't duplicate things. I didn't feel Evernote was the thing for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2016, 08:38 AM   #24  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZiggyfanView Post
I am using an Excel spreadsheet (you could use Access database if you're a more advanced computer user!) and use columns to accumulate tags and other info, and then I can sort each column, or do a search. I keep the file on OneDrive so I can use it on my PC, laptop, tablet, and phone. On the phone, I can look while shopping to make sure I don't duplicate things. I didn't feel Evernote was the thing for me.
I'm also compiling my list in Excel. I have a tower that was intended for paper (made with the wire cubes) that I use to store wood mounted stamps. I put them in clear acrylic frames and have labeled each tray with a letter. My index indicates which 'drawer' the set is in. It's working well for me.

I've purged about 100 sets. Much like Sue (gregzgurl), I was feeling overwhelmed and a bit stagnant from "too much choice". Now, it's time to get back to stamping instead of organizing!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-13-2016, 02:08 PM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by justampinView Post
I just went to Evernote.com and wonder how you indexed everything. Did you just write in every stamp set that you have? Just wonderiing how you tagged things because some sets have different images - or do you note each type of image as you write in the title of the set. This really does intrigue me because I have tons of wooden sets just sitting on shelves with no titles right now. It looks a lot user friendly than an excel spreadsheet (to me anyway!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2016, 01:59 AM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by blizladyView Post
I just went to Evernote.com and wonder how you indexed everything. Did you just write in every stamp set that you have? Just wonderiing how you tagged things because some sets have different images - or do you note each type of image as you write in the title of the set. This really does intrigue me because I have tons of wooden sets just sitting on shelves with no titles right now. It looks a lot user friendly than an excel spreadsheet (to me anyway!)
I have a picture of every stamp set, I do know the names of each one so that wasn't hard for me. To get the picture I would either google the stamp set name or for older ones that weren't there I'd use the index image from Splitcoast. Then I would tag key words like birthday, wedding, etc. Images, flowers, trees, frog, etc. Any individual stamps I just named misc. and then tagged them.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2016, 04:35 AM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

If you have Microsoft Office, you also have a program called OneNote. Works just like Evernote, but to me has the added advantage of being able to resize images. I have many, many older stamps, and rather than stamp everything, I often find the images on the net, which means they are all sorts of sizes. This way i can even them about a bit better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2016, 02:46 PM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, if someone has the old set Dollhouse, I'd love to have it. :0) Just pm me.
K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2016, 04:08 AM   #29  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by octoberbabeView Post
I still like Totally Tabs A few months ago I FINALLY decided to purge my stamps. Took me awhile because I kept changing my mind and putting them back I agree with Allistamps123...........some of my very old sets have come in very handy with a particular challenge or event. Even if they don't get used very much, it's nice to have them when needed.

My only wish is that some of those very old stamps would come back for an anniversary sale or something. There are some really nice stamp sets from SU that I would love, love, love to have from before I started stamping.

The other thing about purging...........if you have room to keep your stamps, it is wise to keep the investment you have made, because you can never recoup even half the price you paid for them!!!!
Yes! It's true so many sets I've had in the purge box in the basement have come out of isolation and used again!

I do have plenty of storage. My sets are in in a large armoire. I have room for lots more, haha even tho I try not to buy too many more stamp sets!
Reply With Quote Likes