Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-15-2016, 07:22 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New to cling stAmps ...can you give me a little help?

So I have never used anything but photopolymer stamps. I recently bought some Stampin up sets that are rubber cling stamps (I think that's what they are called). My first question is how do I get them to stick to the block. They came with clear labels but if I put those on , they don't stick to the block. If I leave them off, they stick but I can't easily tell what they are. Secondly can I use my misti with them? When I tied again they wouldn't stick to the lid. Last, how do you store them? I love the Stampin Up case but are they supposed to just float around in there? I ordered a few more sets which I hope to get in soon so would like to know the answers and any other hints for those stamps. Thanks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2016, 08:39 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I'm a bare rubber gal, but I think I can answer some of the questions...

The stickers are definitely problematic - there have been other discussions about that here on these forums. What some have done is to trim away as much of the sticker as possible so there's still some exposed cling around the edges of the stamp after the sticker is put back on. That seems to help a bit, but many have just decided that the sticker isn't worth the bother - especially if they're using a MISTI, because they can test-run and tweak placement before committing to ink.

Which answers one of the other questions: YES, you can use them with the MISTI! There should be NO problem at all on that front. Lastly, as far as storing the stamps: With the stickers trimmed they are more likely to stick to the case, but what some people do is to leave the whole rubber-and-cling sheet that they were originally in inside the case. This serves two purposes - it allows you to see if all of the stamps are safely back in the case, and it holds them in place a bit better than just having them loose.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2016, 12:20 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Received 35 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll just add to what Sue said by saying that you need to take the black foam out of your MISTI to use it with cling stamps.

Also, I have successfully peeled the stickers off of my cling stamps and very little residue remains.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2016, 01:29 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

You can add a tiny bit of 2-way glue or mono multi to your cling mount stickers. Let the adhesive dry and they will become "peelable" for on/off the block.

Many of us save the rubber "frames" that the stamps come in so that each stamp has its own spot in the case. If you've already tossed that for those you now own, adding the adhesive will help them stick to a spot in the case.

HTH

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2016, 09:43 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's a link to a whole thread about this in the Organization forum:

Putting the image on unmounted stamps by Cathy H at Splitcoaststampers

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2016, 12:31 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I luckily read when they first came out out to keep the rubber frames. Best advise ever!

I don't put the sticker on because they are problematic! Why don't they fix this?

The ones I've put the sticker on I've used a VERY fine coating of Tombo multi...let it dry overnight. Don't put too much on! I've put too much on, not good!

Once you have this light, tacky glue over the sticker they work well. They stick for years!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2016, 05:10 AM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindylou1220View Post
You can add a tiny bit of 2-way glue or mono multi to your cling mount stickers. Let the adhesive dry and they will become "peelable" for on/off the block.

Many of us save the rubber "frames" that the stamps come in so that each stamp has its own spot in the case. If you've already tossed that for those you now own, adding the adhesive will help them stick to a spot in the case.

HTH
I do the same thing with my Zig glue pen. The chisel tip works perfectly. I just use a very thin coat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2017, 06:05 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

I get a lot of "Hand Me Down Stamps" off SCS. Best place to by gently loved stamps at a decent price!! When I find that they have put the label on the stamp, I use the Aleene's tack it over and over using a 1/2 water 1/2 tack it. I lightly brush it on and it's perfect. Like with the tombow glue, too much and too thick is no good on it too, can be disastrous. This solution is also great for the cricut and silhouette mats that need to be cleaned. I use a little jelly jar to make my solution and use a sponge brush as an applicator. Tighten the lid and it works from one project to the next. You can also rinse the sponge brush well use it over and over too!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2017, 12:38 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

Lydia shared a video on how to use this type of stamp with the Misti:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2017, 01:28 PM   #10  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Couple of things.

I am sorry there is such a problem with the SU clings. Other brands do not have this problem.

You can put a cling on an acrylic block and then use the stamp a ma jig with that.

In Lydia's vid...it seems to me her 2nd stage stamping is more than one color. First stage is blue with empty centers. 2nd stage is purple detail and yellow centers right?
So she colored with pens correct?

Storage-if you are asking what people use other than the SU cases for other clings...I put both clear and cling on storage pages and in a 3 ring binder with lightweight CS pages between that also double for indexes. They come in 2 sizes-I use the 8 1/2 x 11.

these pages:

https://www.scrapbook.com/store/nm-s...-shopping-feed

but they do make for cd cases

https://www.scrapbooking-warehouse.c...storage-panels

You can do better on pricing with sales or shop around.

imho stay AWAY from the 2 in 1's-I started that way ...cling on one side, magnetic on the other. the dies will pop off it easily and the enclosed binders for them crack if you breathe on them. plus they get WAY heavy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2017, 10:26 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

I would have to say that in my experience the Stampendous cling ones which come with a clear vinyl backing (the one that people often peel off by mistake) don't stick to my blocks very well either. Generally I end up deliberately removing it, or trimming it to the shape of the stamp and adding TIOO to avoid an inky stamp falling off the block and messing up the page. So I don't think it's only SU!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2017, 03:26 PM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

That's true Sabrina. I was debating mentioning it. I had raised it once here before-I have it esp with House mouse stamps....and they posted here and said they would be happy to exchange them. I said thank you but we are talking dozens of stamps. I wish they would not do that. They dont on all their cling. I would consider changing the cling but I dont want to lose the nice index on the back.

Once in awhile I get a weird situation where the cling is way too sticky.

Oh btw Rnruns...if a cling that was good before stops working well-just clean it. it will work again
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2017, 06:41 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Okay, I didn't want to share this idea until I had actually given it a try myself, but I gave it a shot yesterday afternoon.

Someone on a Stampin' Up thread, somewhere (I think it was on a demo-only site) said that they used chapstick. Yup, plain ol' regular chapstick. I gave this a try yesterday with some cheap no-name lip balm, and it actually seems to work "well enough". You just rub some chapstick on the stamp, and stick it to your block. It comes back off easily enough, but it didn't move when I shook it vigorously, and I was able to get a good impression.

The great thing about chapstick is that it cleans right off your stamp, and your blocks, leaving no sticky residue behind. It's pretty much a case of "what have you got to lose?", you know? Good luck!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2017, 07:04 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
I luckily read when they first came out out to keep the rubber frames. Best advise ever!

I don't put the sticker on because they are problematic! Why don't they fix this?

The ones I've put the sticker on I've used a VERY fine coating of Tombo multi...let it dry overnight. Don't put too much on! I've put too much on, not good!

Once you have this light, tacky glue over the sticker they work well. They stick for years!

I'm the same, I keep the rubber frame and the sticker sheet intact for storage and just use the stamp naked. I use my Misti, removing the black foam first. I don't think of it any different then my wood block sets, I couldn't really see exactly where I was stamping then either. Sometimes I draw an arrow on the cling though if I need a little help with orientation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2017, 05:21 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh, wow. I think the chapstick idea is brilliant! TFS
Reply With Quote Likes