Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-30-2015, 07:00 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ranger Archival Ink Question

I've been using the Ranger black archival for some time, and I like it a lot because it will stamp on pretty much anything. I recently decided to buy some of the colors to use to stamp on painted surfaces.

First of all - I have found that almost all the pads I got (and they were from various reputable places) seem to have leaked into the surrounding area below the pad when I opened them, some more aggressively than others. I looked at some YouTube videos where people were using them and I have noticed that most of the time, I see the same thing, there's ink in the area around and below the pad, so I guess it's just the nature of the beast. But I wonder why. Maybe my Distress inks do the same thing, but since it's a black case I just can't see it.

I also feel like these pads are kind of hard and dry. I am getting decent images from them, but I wish they were more juicy. And yet how could they be under-inked if the ink is leaking out of the pad? I didn't buy reinkers with any of them, and I intend to, but I don't want to over-ink them.

Anyone with experience with these pads, I'd appreciate your input.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2015, 07:13 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first inclination is to suggest storing them upside down, but not having done this myself, I don't know if it would work. I'm sure someone else will chime in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2015, 07:28 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

I had this problem with a couple of Adirondack plain old dye ink pads, but I don't recall if they were like this when I got them. It certainly got worse, though. Odd, both from Ranger.

I'm just looking for someone who uses these archival pads in colors to advise or reassure me. Do they tend to feel harder and drier? Do they tend to seep? Should I be caring about this at all, or am I over focusing because I've never used these pads before?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2015, 04:18 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Thank you! I remember hearing about this but have never tried it! I will get some! !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2015, 06:48 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

I bought all 6 colors that Michaels carries and just love them. I have not had a problem with them being on the dry side, but I did have a problem with them leaking on the side. That is probably because Ranger packages them to be hung on a peg. The distress inks are not packages that way. Enjoy them. The colors are so vibrant!!!!
Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2015, 06:55 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

By hung on a peg, you mean on the display in the store?

Still, I've bought mine from online vendors, I think they were warehoused, not displayed

As I seen from watching demos of them, and as you've confirmed, they do tend to leak. It won't stop me using them, because I love the way you can stamp over paint with them. !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2015, 06:58 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Yes, hung up in the store. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2015, 07:16 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Yes, I recall seeing that in a YouTube that was filmed at CHA. The Archival Inks were in a rack.

Since I've never been in a LSS in my life, I have to learn these things online! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2015, 01:32 PM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

I've hear over and over that Ranger has Great customer service. I would call or email to them with the 2 problems.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2015, 01:33 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

TYPO... I meant to say "Heard" not hear.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2015, 01:38 PM   #11  
Glitter Guru

I know they do. I've had problems with their products before and they have been great about replacing things that were not right. Maybe Monday I will call and ask them, then I'll know what's a defect and what isn't. Good suggestion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2015, 04:32 PM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

If you do call them, please post again and let us know what they say about it.

I do tend to store all my pads upside down. I cant say I remember this with the archival pads but I only have a couple colors.

Logically if you have leaking and dry pad..it sounds like the ink is seeping out of them right? Or-they are overinked at the plant and dry out but you can re-fresh them? Good question. I will be interested to hear what people say.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2015, 06:12 PM   #13  
Glitter Guru

I'll be sure to post after I speak to them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2018, 09:58 AM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

I know this is an old thread but did you ever find out about the Archival Inks? My inks do the same thing...they seem on the dry side but still stamp well (if I use good quality paper and stamps). Trying to decide which way to best store them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2018, 10:14 AM   #15  
Glitter Guru

Here's the conclusion I came to, Anibear: I had been watching a lot of Paper Artsy YouTube videos and Leandra and company love to use Archival ink to stamp on top of their chalk finish paints since they dry permanent and don't smear. And I saw that most of the pads they were using had leakage to the sides, just like mine do. So I think it's the nature of the beast. I do find the pale colors need to be very well inked to stamp well. So I bought reinkers and I ink mine when they seem dry.

HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2018, 01:40 PM   #16  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks Rachelrose. It was very helpful. I have many of the inkpads and they all have that leaky ink....but they still stamp well. I haven't bought re-inkers yet. But maybe I should for the lighter inks because they are harder to get a good impression. But I find that with all brands of light ink it's hard to get a good image. They are hard to work with.

Do you store them upside down? Or right side up?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2018, 02:04 PM   #17  
Glitter Guru

Right side up, like all my pads. I am glad I bought the reinkers because Archival to me is not a deeply vibrant ink to begin with, I am a big Versafine user and those are much richer by comparison. But there are nicer colors in Archival and they stamp over paint fabulously, which I do a lot. So it's important to me to keep them inked. ;)!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2018, 02:36 PM   #18  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
Right side up, like all my pads. I am glad I bought the reinkers because Archival to me is not a deeply vibrant ink to begin with, I am a big Versafine user and those are much richer by comparison. But there are nicer colors in Archival and they stamp over paint fabulously, which I do a lot. So it's important to me to keep them inked. ;)!
This is good info. I have been looking at the Archival also because I like some of those lighter colors. I also stamp over things like paint. Sometimes I don't want Versafine dark/vibrant but I want coverage. Looks like reinkers are the way to go also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2018, 05:36 PM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

A bit off topic: I recently contacted Range because I could not find a black Archival reinker anywhere. I kept seeing Wendy Vecchi refills, so I asked if that black reinker would work on an original Archival black pad. After much CYA, saying the colored reinkers were not the same colors as Ranger Archival colors, they did say the Wendy Vecchi reinker was the same formulation as original Archival.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2018, 02:26 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoonView Post
A bit off topic: I recently contacted Range because I could not find a black Archival reinker anywhere. I kept seeing Wendy Vecchi refills, so I asked if that black reinker would work on an original Archival black pad. After much CYA, saying the colored reinkers were not the same colors as Ranger Archival colors, they did say the Wendy Vecchi reinker was the same formulation as original Archival.
This reminds me of something Tim said in his workshop, which came as a surprise to everyone.
If you look at the packaging for his version of the '4 pack' Archival pad, you will see that his black is NOT the standard Archival Black, but is a Black Soot Archival Black.
He did demo how the original Archival has a purple tinge to it that the Black Soot one doesn't.
At the time, the Black Soot Archival wasn't available as a separate pad, and as far as I know still isn't. But that may change at Creativation!
But, either way, you can buy a Blank Archival pad, and a bottle of Black Soot Archival re-inker & make your own. I never got into the 4 way pad, as I anticipated too may problems inking up stamps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2018, 03:46 AM   #21  
Glitter Guru

I remember that, too Shaz. And was annoyed to see how much more I liked the Black Soot than the original, knowing I would be too lazy to ever buy a blank pad and a reinker and make my own.

As for the four-pads, I don't know how anyone uses them. I always bring my pad to my stamp, never the other way around.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2018, 07:47 PM   #22  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Thanks! I love my versafine black....I used to have other colours but you are right there isn't much selection. I find the Wendy Vecchi colours of Archival Ink are vibrant.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2018, 03:48 AM   #23  
Glitter Guru

Just FYI: There is a Versafine line coming out here in the USA at the end of the month. It's called Versafine Clair. It's supposed to be a slight reformulation, but everyone who has it (it's already available in the UK) is finding it very similar to the original. The thing is, it comes in 24 colors, so if you like Versafine but are not thrilled by the color choices, you might eventually look into Clair. There's a thread about it on the forum here in the Tool and Product forum:

Versafine Clair by maryalena at Splitcoaststampers

You can read all the buzz there is about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2018, 06:06 AM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

I remember that, too Shaz. And was annoyed to see how much more I liked the Black Soot than the original, knowing I would be too lazy to ever buy a blank pad and a reinker and make my own.

As for the four-pads, I don't know how anyone uses them. I always bring my pad to my stamp, never the other way around.
Yes, that is exactly why I could not see me getting any use from them. I did spring for a pad & reinker- still sat on my desk waiting to be inked, lol, so you can tell how much I 'needed' it, rofl!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2018, 07:52 AM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

I have all the current versa fine mini cube colors. I’m not wild about all the shades, so nice they are coming out with more. But, if I want coverage, nothing like a versafine ink. I’ve got the Ranger Archival mini cubes. Vibrant colors. Same, noticed the ink collecting around the edges when first opened. Sometimes on clear stamps takes a few try’s to cover image. Kind of surprising for an archival ink.
The lesson on clear stamps for me.....you never know if an ink is going to stamp satisfactorily. I love my Altenew inks, but they don’t always cover a clear stamp well.
Good thing I have an abundance of options!
Reply With Quote Likes