Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-22-2015, 02:33 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best glue for sequins?

I love the look of the randomly scattered sequins and was just curious as to what everyone is using for adhesive? I've been using my Tombow multi mono which works, but it's also a bit messy. Any alternatives?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2015, 03:03 AM   #2  
ALWAYS has a P L A N

Location: In the '82 Los Angeles underground, looking to hire...The A-Team.

I use a Martha Stewart Glue Pen.

Never give up, just practice, stay positive and have fun!

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, if you can find them, maybe you can hire...
The A-Team.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2015, 03:44 AM   #3  
BSD
Matboard Maniac

Mini glue dots could work

Barb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2015, 04:29 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glossy Accents. It works very well, but you have to be careful not to put too much on (so that it spreads out beyond the sequin when you press down) and to get your sequin right on top, because when Glossy Accents dries, it's… glossy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2015, 05:43 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

I found that Tacky Glue worked the best for me.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2015, 07:00 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I use Collage Pauge by Aileene's. It's an inexpensive alternative to Ranger's Matte Medium, and it works great for adhering dimensional embellishments like sequins. I squeeze a little onto a craft sheet or piece of non-porous paper. Then I apply a tiny dot with a toothpick or paper piercer. Those sequins don't move, and you can't see the excess glue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2015, 07:54 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Jennifer McGuire's recommended method-a dot of Ranger Multi-Medium Matte. It dries with a matte finish so if a little squeezes out from under the sequin, it won't show.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2015, 08:19 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
Glossy Accents. It works very well, but you have to be careful not to put too much on (so that it spreads out beyond the sequin when you press down) and to get your sequin right on top, because when Glossy Accents dries, it's� glossy!
I have NO luck with Glossy Accents - the tip always clogs regardless of what I use to try to keep it open. I finally gave up on it after wasting money on The Ranger version, the SU version and the Amuse Studio version. Love the way it looks , but it's just too hard to use more than once.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2015, 08:20 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have some of them on hand, so I know what I'll be doing this afternoon ����
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2015, 09:07 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Like you, I used Mono Multi to attach sequins. I put tiny dots of the glue on the card and plopped the sequins on the dots. I was happy with the result.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2015, 11:30 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

I always use Ranger's Matte Medium and I apply it with a toothpick. A little goes a long way and those sequins are not budging!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-23-2015, 05:01 PM   #12  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,386 Likes on 517 Posts

I use Stampin' Up!'s fine-tip glue pen. I was using glue dots and Tombow but they were too messy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2020, 11:37 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

I have a lot of sequins but hadn't used them on cards very often because they never seem to stay on. I use Glossy Accents and they stay for a little while, but I know they wouldn't make it through the mail without all falling off inside the envelope. The sequins are even falling off during the time I store them for sending. I read through the posts here, but most are from 2015, and I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion for sequin gluing? I am also wondering if I should flip the sequins over so that the cup side is down, so that the inside is filled with the glue? Losing half the sequins during mailing is driving me nuts.

Thanks!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2020, 11:50 AM   #14  

Received 1,386 Likes on 517 Posts

It's been 4-1/2 years since I responded to the original poster, but I'm still using Stampin' Up!'s fine-tip glue pen to adhere sequins, if they don't already come with adhesive on them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2020, 10:24 AM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use a lot of glue in decoupage and mixed media. I use so much. For everything , except metal, I use Elmer's Glue-All or Elmer's School Glue. For sequins, beads and other small things, I use Elmer's watered down a bit in needle nose plastic bottles I get at Etsy. I find Elmer's effective even for fabric. For metal and some plastics I use Diamond Glaze, but for most plastic Elmer's works. To attach card faces to cards I use Scotch Double Sided tape.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-15-2020, 10:28 AM   #16  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I find that glue dots are more reliable with sequins.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2020, 07:12 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Another one Ranger Multi Medium Matte, and like that it disappears if a tiny bit oozes out.

While I now use Gina K Connect Glue for many things because it’s so easy to use, and other adhesives sometimes, Multi Medium Matte is still my fave. I keep it upside down in a little holder when planning to use it, switched the top to one with a needle for tiny dots and no clogging. (After use the tip is wiped off and the needle touched with the Hero Arts/Stewart stamp cleaner “straw” before closing the bottle so it never clogs.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2020, 02:20 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
I find that glue dots are more reliable with sequins.
I tried rolling up glue dots into a tiny ball and using it on a sequin, but the glue part squished up through the center hole, and the whole thing kept sticking to my finger. Glue dots are just not my friends I guess...sigh..

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2020, 02:22 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louisa MayView Post
I use a lot of glue in decoupage and mixed media. I use so much. For everything , except metal, I use Elmer's Glue-All or Elmer's School Glue. For sequins, beads and other small things, I use Elmer's watered down a bit in needle nose plastic bottles I get at Etsy. I find Elmer's effective even for fabric. For metal and some plastics I use Diamond Glaze, but for most plastic Elmer's works. To attach card faces to cards I use Scotch Double Sided tape.
Do you seal over the beads and sequins when you use Elmers glue? Because I can't even get them to stick through mailing, even when I don't water down my glue. I've tried Elmers glue, applied with a wooden toothpick, but they fell right off once they get a little bit of a bump.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2020, 06:09 AM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazekaView Post
Do you seal over the beads and sequins when you use Elmers glue? Because I can't even get them to stick through mailing, even when I don't water down my glue. I've tried Elmers glue, applied with a wooden toothpick, but they fell right off once they get a little bit of a bump.
Karen
Yes, I do seal them with an extra coat of Elmer's, For mailing, I put a thin foam sheet (if I have it from packages delivered) or a piece of card stock in the envelope to protect the card. Since Elmer's dries clear, I often put more than one coat over the beads/sequins. When I decide to make changes, I actually have trouble prying them loose, even with watered down Elmer's. With some extra smooth card stock (not all) it helps to give it a little tooth with clear gesso if you're using a lot of small inclusions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2020, 07:57 AM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

I use Gina K Connect glue for sequins.  I've also happily used Multi-Medium Matte (on a toothpick). I really like the applicator for GK's Connect, and prefer not messing around with toothpicks any more.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2020, 10:40 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Yes, I do seal them with an extra coat of Elmer's, For mailing, I put a thin foam sheet (if I have it from packages delivered) or a piece of card stock in the envelope to protect the card. Since Elmer's dries clear, I often put more than one coat over the beads/sequins. When I decide to make changes, I actually have trouble prying them loose, even with watered down Elmer's. With some extra smooth card stock (not all) it helps to give it a little tooth with clear gesso if you're using a lot of small inclusions.
I also use a thin foam sheet or piece of card stock when I mail, but those sequins just keep falling off. They even fall off when I'm storing them for mailing, argh. I might try sealing over the top of the sequin, but am worried that it will show on my card stock around the sequin when it dries. I've done some mixed media puzzle pieces and ATCs in the past where I used micro beads, and sealed over all of it. It left a glossy look that I want to avoid on my cards. Also, I had sealed the entire piece so it didn't look like glue smears.
I think I just need to experiment a little before I put them on a card.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2020, 08:16 PM   #23  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Aleene's tacky glue. I did also buy a box of micro glue dots, which work fine, except I never remember to use them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2020, 05:01 AM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

I also use a thin foam sheet or piece of card stock when I mail, but those sequins just keep falling off. They even fall off when I'm storing them for mailing, argh. I might try sealing over the top of the sequin, but am worried that it will show on my card stock around the sequin when it dries. I've done some mixed media puzzle pieces and ATCs in the past where I used micro beads, and sealed over all of it. It left a glossy look that I want to avoid on my cards. Also, I had sealed the entire piece so it didn't look like glue smears.
I think I just need to experiment a little before I put them on a card.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Karen
I thought of something else that may help you. When I mail cards with dimensional inclusions, I write "Hand Cancel" on the envelope and add a 21 cent stamp. I understand the Post Office does not use machines for cancelling anymore and does it all digitally now. But I add the postage and instruction anyway, and the cards arrive with embellishments attached.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2020, 05:26 AM   #25  
Gallery Gazer

I once did the test Jennifer McGuire and certainly others do, but she gave me the idea when she applied foam tape to cards in different ways and mailed cards to herself. I mailed myself cards with sequins from a mailbox in another state about an hour away. I wanted the cards to travel farther than a post office ten minutes away.

A piece of packing foam was inserted with one, patterned paper with another, and nothing with the third. They were all fine. Ranger’s Multi Medium Matte holds very well, but the rare times anything 3D is used like sequins or embellishments, I add foam since cards are going a longer distance with multiple stops and opportunities for being bashed around.

This is the foam I purchased but there could be better deals or sizes:
Amazon.com: Bankers Box SmoothMove Cushion Foam, 12 Inches x 40 Feet (7712102): Office Products
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2020, 01:16 PM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
I once did the test Jennifer McGuire and certainly others do, but she gave me the idea when she applied foam tape to cards in different ways and mailed cards to herself. I mailed myself cards with sequins from a mailbox in another state about an hour away. I wanted the cards to travel farther than a post office ten minutes away.
A piece of packing foam was inserted with one, patterned paper with another, and nothing with the third. They were all fine. Ranger’s Multi Medium Matte holds very well, but the rare times anything 3D is used like sequins or embellishments, I add foam since cards are going a longer distance with multiple stops and opportunities for being bashed around.
Amazon.com: Bankers Box SmoothMove Cushion Foam, 12 Inches x 40 Feet (7712102): Office Products
I have a roll of really thin packing foam that is often used to wrap breakables (it's really thin, maybe 1/8 inch thick) and usually cut that down to fit over the card front before mailing. However, my sequins are so unstable that they often fall off before I even get them into the envelope. I store my cards upright in a box before I mail them, and just the little bit of movement knocks them off. I imagine that every single sequin is gone by the time they arrive at the destination, foam or not.
I did buy some Aleenes glue gel to try and will experiment with it this week.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I have a lot of sequins and gems that are calling out to be used!
Bjeans, just clicked on your Amazon link and realized that the foam I have is the same that you linked to! I inherited some from my mom when I got all her dishware and have been hoarding it, haha!

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2020, 01:59 PM   #27  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

I have a roll of really thin packing foam that is often used to wrap breakables (it's really thin, maybe 1/8 inch thick) and usually cut that down to fit over the card front before mailing. However, my sequins are so unstable that they often fall off before I even get them into the envelope. I store my cards upright in a box before I mail them, and just the little bit of movement knocks them off. I imagine that every single sequin is gone by the time they arrive at the destination, foam or not.
I did buy some Aleenes glue gel to try and will experiment with it this week.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I have a lot of sequins and gems that are calling out to be used!
Bjeans, just clicked on your Amazon link and realized that the foam I have is the same that you linked to! I inherited some from my mom when I got all her dishware and have been hoarding it, haha!

Karen
You’ll get it! The foam is just to give a bit of padding in case the card is bumped or bashed. The Ranger Multi Medium Matte is what does the job of holding them tight.

I’m going to try Gina K’s Connect Glue at some point since it’s supposed to be strong too, and I have some and like it.

Last edited by bjeans; 04-23-2020 at 02:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-24-2020, 10:15 PM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Obviously you're not having any luck with Elmers or Aleenes glues. To save yourself time and money, I would get the Ranger Multi Medium Matte and apply a bit more than what you seem to be using. It does not show if it oozes out. I've used this for years and have never had any problems with losing sequins. And maybe try sequin confetti, which are sequins without the holes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2020, 12:09 PM   #29  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

On your advice I bought this Banker's Box Cushion Foam, hoping it will save me an extra stamp for careful handling. Mine was a little less expensive than yours on EBay. I purchased it from a company in Topeka; I'm in Chicago, and figured I would get it quickly, which I did. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2020, 03:27 PM   #30  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

On your advice I bought this Banker's Box Cushion Foam, hoping it will save me an extra stamp for careful handling. Mine was a little less expensive than yours on EBay. I purchased it from a company in Topeka; I'm in Chicago, and figured I would get it quickly, which I did. Thanks!
You’re welcome! I bought mine quite a while back and it cost $6.00+, so I’m glad you found a good deal - it sure pays to look around. Most of all I hope it works for you!

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2020, 12:04 PM   #31  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

You’re welcome! I bought mine quite a while back and it cost $6.00+, so I’m glad you found a good deal - it sure pays to look around. Most of all I hope it works for you!

Beth
I meant the price you quoted from Amazon; I thought that's what you paid. No matter, I got a very good deal, and this 40 feet should last forever!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2020, 12:14 PM   #32  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

I meant the price you quoted from Amazon; I thought that's what you paid. No matter, I got a very good deal, and this 40 feet should last forever!
Right, understood. The link on Amazon was directly from my order; the price just has gone way up. Maybe a different Amazon seller since they rotate or materials cost more or greed... and so agree about the 40 feet lasting forever!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2020, 02:43 PM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

I am the OP in this thread! Imagine my surprise to see it pop up again I still love the look of the scattered sequins (who would have thought that trend would stick around so long) and have mastered the art of sticking them down quite well now. I use Gina K connect or Ranger Multi Medium and sparkle happily
Reply With Quote Likes