Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-17-2014, 01:04 PM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 360 Likes on 186 Posts

Hi, everyone! I'm Kathy, the oldest in an Italian/Irish family of 10. Yes, every event in our house was a bit loud. But it was great being raised in a warm, close family. I am now transplanted to California, living in Simi Valley in the southern part of the state for the last 20 years. I never tire of the sunshine and love seeing the mountains all around us. I have an 18 year old daughter who keeps me on my toes. Living here has exposed me to fantastic wine, so I have a grown into a wine-lover. I also enjoy cooking when time permits and company is coming.

As young woman I became a nurse, like my Mom. After several years I wanted a bit more and headed back to school, eventually completing a Masters in Public Health, studying Cancer epidemiology and doing research. Following this, I moved over into the industry side and I've worked for a medical device company for the last 15 years. The pressure of a corporate environment can really be a bit much so stamping gives me a great creative outlet. For much of my life I was a creative person, drawing, painting, doing cross-stich and crewel work among other crafts. But now, it's all about ink and rubber stamps.

My involvement in this card drive is to honor my late sister, Joanne, and support my Mom, Aunt Marie and sister Nancy. Joanne had a two year battle with breast cancer along with other significant health challenges. She was just tenacious, fighting for every treatment, every option to extend her life. Before Joanne, my Mom was diagnosed, then Nancy as well as my mom's only sister, Aunt Marie. Outside of Joanne, the others are doing really well. Mom is 11 years out and considered cured. So, for me this month is really special and so important.

I am gratified to see how many stampers step up during the month to create a little something for someone who really needs a lift. When my sister was sick, I sent cards on a regular basis and many of my stamping friends volunteered to send her cards as well. She kept every one and told me how they helped her get through the day sometimes. The reason why I have chosen a challenge to create a humorous card is because of her. She said she was so tired of gloom and doom and she wanted to be happy each day. I feel so lucky to be able to support these patients in any way as they are treated and move to recovery.

Thanks to each and every one who participates this month, whether it's one card or 30- you are awesome!

Photos:
Sisters on my 50th birthday: Judy, Nancy, Me, Clare, Marie, Joanne
Joanne and I visiting a favorite Santa Ynez winery.
Coming into the finish line at the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer.
Celebrating my 60th with a glass of wine.
Christmas with our Italian Greyhound Giada, Me, Chris, & daughter Nichole
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1936660-R1-044-20A.jpg (41.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg FH000018.jpg (74.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01019.jpg (58.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8471_2.jpg (53.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8513.jpg (57.2 KB, 23 views)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2014, 10:26 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

How lovely to "meet" you, Kathy, and learn a little more about you. I can't say, looking at the photos, that I am surprised to learn you have Irish genes - I see a certain resemblance to some of DH's family!! Sunshine and mountains and good wine - that sounds like a great environment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2014, 12:54 AM   #3  
Proud Fan Club Member
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kathy thank you for sharing your story and the lovely photos. Thanks for bringing a happy and fun challenge to this special month. xx

Please don't take your organs to heaven - heaven knows we need them here.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2014, 01:31 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 174 Likes on 120 Posts

Lovely getting to know more about you, Kathy, and seeing your wonderful photos! Do hope to get to make more cards for HYCCT challenges over the next few days!

QFTD143
FS420
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2014, 09:24 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

In Memory of your sister I will participate in this challenge.

Thanks for sharing,

Sharon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2014, 11:03 AM   #6  

Received 635 Likes on 361 Posts

I'm peeking in, Kathy, so that I can read and learn more about you. What wonderful photos you shared. I know you cherish all the time you had with your sister and I can understand why this drive is so important to you....so many who are so close to you with the terrible disease. I wish I could make a card today but I can't and probably can't make another one until sometime next week. I love your idea of a humorous card.....I'm sure your sis would be pleased. And, I'm so happy your mom and aunt are doing well.
My Blog---My Gallery---My PinterestI'm a Punchkateer! (Prez) FOREVERDirty Dozen Alumni2014 CAS Spring DT--- Inspiration Challenge Co- Hostess 12/02/17-12/28/19 Watercolor Wednesday Design Team Hebrews 13:2 Brenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2014, 01:43 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Love your photos Kathy, thanks for sharing
Cheers
Marg

My Gallery - MyBlog

"To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow" - Kurt Vonnegut
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2014, 05:10 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

I love getting to read these stories even when they are heartbreaking. I am so glad you hear your mom and aunt are doing well Kathy!

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2014, 06:48 PM   #9  

Received 299 Likes on 213 Posts

Kathy, thanks so much for sharing your story with us. Your family has been hit hard by breast cancer. I am so happy to read that your mom is considered cured and your relatives are doing well. I love your photos of your family celebrating life! It's been fun getting to know you a bit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2014, 10:32 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 360 Likes on 186 Posts

Ladies, thanks for taking a minute out to read my story. It was funny trying to figure out what to write. I've been pressed for time this week, but want to go back and read everyone's stories. It is interesting to get to know everyone a bit better. What an awesome job Lydia and the team have done in organizing this event. See you in the gallery! Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes