Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-14-2015, 10:31 PM   #1401  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,716 Likes on 649 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CuttersCallousView Post
I was just about to (finally) purchase a MISTI, but I thought I should check here to see if there are any "must have" accessories to have/use with it. Thanks!
I would definetly get two or three magnets.

Shirl
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2015, 04:12 AM   #1402  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirlb19View Post

Shirl
Thanks, Shirl!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2015, 02:06 AM   #1403  
Mad Swapper

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have read some of this thread but 37 pages and counting have me feeling a bit overwhelmed! What I was looking for is have any "lefties" bought the Misti? Did you buy the left- or right-handed version? I am sort of use to using equipment for a right-handed world (my cutter sits on my craft table upside-down and backwards) and am wondering if I should buy one with my needs in mind or make the rest of my stamping group look at it upside down if I include it in a card-making project?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2015, 03:42 AM   #1404  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,912 Likes on 2,181 Posts

As far as I'm concerned, being left or right handed doesn't seem to matter. You can turn this any way you want to stamp. You can use any of the corners to place your card. You can turn it and place the hinge on the left or right side. I don't use the ruler much at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2015, 05:04 AM   #1405  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

I have to agree with Kathy. I use my MISTI with the hinge at the top, neither left or right. I only use the ruler if I am centering a card base, otherwise I use a corner.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2015, 05:20 AM   #1406  
Stampin' Fool

I've not needed to use the ruler yet but you can turn MISTI to what ever direction you need. Iliana did a video on how to make it a left handed version if some one needed that orientation. You can view it in her video library here:

MISTI Video Channel - Tips & Tricks with the MISTI by MySweetPetunia at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2015, 10:20 AM   #1407  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kat123View Post
Im sorry others are having cracks in their MISTI. I was one of the first to post about cracks and a lot of people on SCS were very mean and accused me of being crazy or pounding my MISTI with a hammer. I feel a bit vindicated now that so many others have seen the same issue. I posted pics of mine in February and it was never replaced. I purchased it prior to the warranty being put in place. I still use it once and a while. I taped it with guerilla tape.
I still think it is a very cool invention.
I wonder if cracks are forming because the foam pad is not thick enough. I found that with the clear stamps, I have to add a few sheets of cardstock as a shim to raise the card high enough so the stamp will lay flat without having to press hard on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2015, 05:14 AM   #1408  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sadiejane929View Post
I have read some of this thread but 37 pages and counting have me feeling a bit overwhelmed! What I was looking for is have any "lefties" bought the Misti? Did you buy the left- or right-handed version? I am sort of use to using equipment for a right-handed world (my cutter sits on my craft table upside-down and backwards) and am wondering if I should buy one with my needs in mind or make the rest of my stamping group look at it upside down if I include it in a card-making project?
There's no longer a designated 'left-handed version'... I'm a lefty and I use the MISTI with the hinge to the left, since I ink with my left hand. Use it in whatever way feels comfortable for you and your group will figure out their best way as well... if you demo facing them, they'll catch on quickly.

Iliana does have instructions for reversing the side ruler if you want to do that so it starts toward you - I tried it and the vinyl stretched just a tiny bit. Normally I just look at the increments rather than measurements, so it's not really necessary to make that switch.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2015, 07:54 PM   #1409  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpelhamView Post
Rulers, as a rule, are built for leftys. If you are right handed, you have the ruler in your left hand and your marking device in your right hand, the numbers on your ruler are upside down.
When I first saw the MISTI I wondered about 3 things; 1. Why a ruler? 2. Why a grid, let alone 2? 3. Really, a left and a right hand model?
Oh all of them are super useful - use it for a few days and all the features become clear.

1) Incremented stamp designs - if they were tick marks instead of rules you'd have a much harder time incrementing repetitive patterns - you'd probably have to mark numbers on the ticks yourself. 2) Use it for a while and you'll see - the grid on the lid is for stamp alignment - clear or cling, the grid on the bottom for aligning clear stamps, stamp image testing as well as paper alignment. 3) depends on whether or not you can read upside down
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2015, 01:37 AM   #1410  
Mad Swapper

Thank you all so much for the helpful information. I think I am going to have to buy one, they look like so much fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2015, 10:27 AM   #1411  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirlb19View Post

Shirl
I bought my extra magnets at home depot. Same exact size magnets...comes in a pack of 3. I can't remember the price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2015, 11:11 AM   #1412  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjlee717View Post
I bought my extra magnets at home depot. Same exact size magnets...comes in a pack of 3. I can't remember the price.
How are you all using the magnets? If you use photopolymer stamps, the foam sheet goes in so I'm wondering if the magnets hold through that foam sheet? Also, are the Home Depot magnets the same strength?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2015, 02:10 PM   #1413  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wayward magnet

Can't remember when my 2nd magnet went MIA but I found it today! It has to have been awhile ago because I have been using the ones I purchased on-line for several months now.

Guess where the bugger was - attached to the snap on a storage folder that holds some dies. I must have flipped through these dies dozens of times and not seen/felt the magnet. It is so strong that it must really have been 'attached' to the snap. Yes, it really is strong so holds the cardstock even through the foam insert.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2015, 08:37 AM   #1414  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crafter 4 LifeView Post
Can't remember when my 2nd magnet went MIA but I found it today! It has to have been awhile ago because I have been using the ones I purchased on-line for several months now.

Guess where the bugger was - attached to the snap on a storage folder that holds some dies. I must have flipped through these dies dozens of times and not seen/felt the magnet. It is so strong that it must really have been 'attached' to the snap. Yes, it really is strong so holds the cardstock even through the foam insert.
I play find the magnet pretty regularly! Today's edition included the metal clip on a fine sharpie marker!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2015, 07:22 AM   #1415  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 105 Likes on 91 Posts

My MISTI shipped yesterday, I can't wait to get it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2015, 11:02 AM   #1416  
Splitcoast Platinum Partner

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
Read about someone having to send their Misti back for the cracking and she was denied. She was told it was her own fault. Luckily she got her Misti back but she was out the $$ shipping it to MSP and of course still has a cracked Misti.

Another person sent pics and was denied. I'm guessing that if you didn't buy after Feb 23rd there's no point in bothering to report cracking (which is happening to a lot of people and now I'm afraid to even use mine).
You don't need to be afraid to use your MISTI

I don't discuss individual orders, but here are some things you should know.

Under an old manufacturing process, I had a manufacturing defect that affected 1% (about) of the screen printed MISTIs. This defect is quite easy to spot and 100% of those are replaced, whether they fall under warranty or not. That defect is quite evident in photos, and doesn't require a return for inspection.

My original, handmade MISTIs that were laser etched and made by me in my home are not subject to the defect, and also are not warrantied, as they were handmade, not made by my manufacturer. None of these have the identified defect though - as they were manufactured a completely different way and are not subject to the defect, which comes from a specific process not used on these laser MISTIs.

There are things (which are detailed in my terms on my website) that you can do/use/etc. that will damage the acrylic of the MISTI, and those do void the warranty of a screen printed MISTI.

If I offer to inspect a non-warrantied MISTI, or a MISTI which has something other than the identified defect to see if it was subject to the edge defect or if a chemical damaged the acrylic, if it was dropped, etc. I always return that to the customer at my expense.

The manufacturer and I always have tests running with various chemicals and inks and cleaners so that we can be as specific as possible with our customers - you can see examples of things on my website you should never use.

Since we have changed the manufacturing process, not a single MISTI has had any issues or been returned. The ~1% that was affected have, and will continue to be, replaced, because that's the right thing to do.

However, as a small business person, I can't afford to replace products that fall outside the terms of my warranty, which are clear and fair and reasonable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2015, 12:49 PM   #1417  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by MySweetPetuniaView Post

Under an old manufacturing process, I had a manufacturing defect that affected 1% (about) of the screen printed MISTIs. This defect is quite easy to spot and 100% of those are replaced, whether they fall under warranty or not. That defect is quite evident in photos, and doesn't require a return for inspection.

My original, handmade MISTIs that were laser etched and made by me in my home are not subject to the defect, and also are not warrantied, as they were handmade, not made by my manufacturer. None of these have the identified defect though - as they were manufactured a completely different way and are not subject to the defect, which comes from a specific process not used on these laser MISTIs.

There are things (which are detailed in my terms on my website) that you can do/use/etc. that will damage the acrylic of the MISTI, and those do void the warranty of a screen printed MISTI.

If I offer to inspect a non-warrantied MISTI, or a MISTI which has something other than the identified defect to see if it was subject to the edge defect or if a chemical damaged the acrylic, if it was dropped, etc. I always return that to the customer at my expense.

The manufacturer and I always have tests running with various chemicals and inks and cleaners so that we can be as specific as possible with our customers - you can see examples of things on my website you should never use.

Since we have changed the manufacturing process, not a single MISTI has had any issues or been returned. The ~1% that was affected have, and will continue to be, replaced, because that's the right thing to do.

However, as a small business person, I can't afford to replace products that fall outside the terms of my warranty, which are clear and fair and reasonable.
I've had my etched MISTI for nearly a year now, and I use it on all of my stamped images, always messed up my images before getting my MISTI. I've seen this story posted over and over all over the internet. It's old outdated information that was discussed on SCS in detail when it occurred, time to move on.
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2015, 01:07 PM   #1418  
Kookie Creator

Question

Can you tell me when the defect was fixed? I purchased mine on March 9 and several people that bought theirs around the same time have had cracking issues.

I haven't used mine but once or twice so far, but I'd like to know if I should get busy with it to see if the cracks are going to appear before it's too late to get a replacement if that happens.

Quote:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2015, 01:18 PM   #1419  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Not Outdated

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnecardsView Post
I've had my etched MISTI for nearly a year now, and I use it on all of my stamped images, always messed up my images before getting my MISTI. I've seen this story posted over and over all over the internet. It's old outdated information that was discussed on SCS in detail when it occurred, time to move on.
There are always 2 sides to a story even if you hear only one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2015, 01:21 PM   #1420  

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShortWizardView Post
Can you tell me when the defect was fixed? I purchased mine on March 9 and several people that bought theirs around the same time have had cracking issues.

I haven't used mine but once or twice so far, but I'd like to know if I should get busy with it to see if the cracks are going to appear before it's too late to get a replacement if that happens.
The manufacturing process was changed earlier this spring - but you don't have to worry about it - if yours is defective and you have the defect show up later, just contact me through the website. I don't do customer service here in the forums, so if you send me a message here, odds are I won't see it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2015, 12:08 PM   #1421  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Wiping down

What kinda wipes are you using to wipe stamp and tool?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2015, 02:23 PM   #1422  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

The manufacturing process was changed earlier this spring - but you don't have to worry about it - if yours is defective and you have the defect show up later, just contact me through the website. I don't do customer service here in the forums, so if you send me a message here, odds are I won't see it.
I understand exactly-this not your business site.
love my misti-and the service you provide
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2015, 02:38 PM   #1423  

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowcountry311View Post
I understand exactly-this not your business site.
love my misti-and the service you provide
Well thank you. I am so happy to hear you love your MISTI.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2015, 03:35 PM   #1424  
Hardware Hotshot

Mine has cracks appearing out of nowhere too. I wish I would have saved my receipt. I paid by paypal on Dec 28th, but it was several weeks before mine arrived. I've handled mine with kid gloves form the beginning, but not for quite awhile, since getting hooked on another past time, but it sits on a shelf out of sunlight yadda, yadda, yadda. I held my breath when using it this weekend, hoping it wouldn't crack even more.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2015, 03:52 PM   #1425  

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaigeView Post
Mine has cracks appearing out of nowhere too. I wish I would have saved my receipt. I paid by paypal on Dec 28th, but it was several weeks before mine arrived. I've handled mine with kid gloves form the beginning, but not for quite awhile, since getting hooked on another past time, but it sits on a shelf out of sunlight yadda, yadda, yadda. I held my breath when using it this weekend, hoping it wouldn't crack even more.
You don't need your receipt - you must have one of the ones with the edge defect - just send pics through the website - she will replace it!

Gale - it's a manufacturing defect that causes it to "craze" because of a certain edge treatment - mine did that too. Just send her pics - she'll replace it with one of the new ones - they manufacture them differently now as a result of that crazing.

It's super easy to spot the ones that have the defect.

Acrylic can craze from chemicals too, but she can see in a pic if yours has the edge treatment that caused it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2015, 03:57 PM   #1426  
Hardware Hotshot

Thanks Lydia! I'll give that a try.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2015, 03:59 PM   #1427  
Compulsive Stamper

Contrary to the propaganda, cracking can and does occur without the edging and without chemicals!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2015, 07:41 AM   #1428  

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaigeView Post
If you bought it from me, I can look you up. Just send pictures. [email protected]

Last edited by dini; 07-05-2015 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: fixed email address
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2015, 01:00 PM   #1429  
Inking Addict

Default Misti tool coupon

Does anyone know of a online coupon for the Misti Tool?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2015, 01:03 PM   #1430  

Quote:

Originally Posted by grammytunaView Post
Does anyone know of a online coupon for the Misti Tool?
Hi. No, sorry there are no coupons.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2015, 01:07 PM   #1431  
Proud Fan Club Member

The thin foam on the bottom of my misti has peeled up a bit. I was able to smooth it back down but if it comes loose again is there any recommendations on keep in it down?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2015, 01:18 PM   #1432  

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
The thin foam on the bottom of my misti has peeled up a bit. I was able to smooth it back down but if it comes loose again is there any recommendations on keep in it down?
Sure - most adhesives you have lying around your craft room will work - Scor-Tape, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2015, 07:14 PM   #1433  
Inking Addict

I just order my Misti! Thank you, carol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2015, 07:20 PM   #1434  

Quote:

Originally Posted by grammytunaView Post
I just order my Misti! Thank you, carol

You will have fun.

I haven't made it all the way through all these (darn day job!) - but there are some great tutorials here when it comes in. I really like Maureen's videos.

Video Table Of Contents - List of all MISTI Videos by MySweetPetunia at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2015, 07:21 PM   #1435  
Inking Addict

Thank you, I will check them out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2015, 12:00 PM   #1436  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

My precious arrived a few days ago but I haven't played with it...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2015, 06:17 PM   #1437  

Arlene!! Do I need to call in sick for you?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2015, 10:15 PM   #1438  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by arlenevitaView Post
My precious arrived a few days ago but I haven't played with it...
Congrats on your new purchase!!! Once you use it, you'll wonder how you stamped without it!! I never stamp an unmounted stamp without it now, and have removed a few of the wood mounts to make it easier. Makes perfect images for me a breeze!!!! LOVE IT!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2015, 04:45 PM   #1439  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
No luck for me even though it has the polished edges. :( I was told I have to mail it in and I'm not spending any more $$ on it only to be told it's my own fault for whatever reason (like many others have been told) so I'll deal with it until it's unusable.
Gale you are not alone!! Now mine has developed cracks while just stored in a drawer . It was used twice . Only cleaned with water- kept in a dark drawer out of the light .

Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2015, 06:50 AM   #1440  
Glitter Guru

Anyone else have this problem? Even though I have three magnets, when I use some of my very solid clear stamps, the inked stamp sticks to the paper and when I pull up, the paper lifts and then it's shifted. If I have been really careful to align my paper tight in the corner, I can re-stamp with no issues, but if there was any space at all, then when I put the paper back down, it has shifted and the re-stamp is not exact.

Only happens with sold clears. Even fairly small ones. They just suction the paper right up.

Thoughts? Advice? Commiseration?
Reply With Quote Likes