Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-15-2013, 06:37 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question JUST STARTING OUT

I have a friend who wants to learn how to make cards, but has no supplies. If putting together a "must-have" list for a beginning card maker, what would you include? I'm thinking a papercutter, scissors, double stick tape and cardstock are essential. What else would you include?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2013, 06:55 AM   #2  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 801 Likes on 326 Posts

If her budget allows, a couple punches, some ribbon, and glue dots could be added to your list. Also I'd suggest a stamp set with greetings for several occasions. I have one that I use so often, I'm surprised it isn't worn out! Ha ha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2013, 06:56 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I would either make sure the paper cutter comes with a paper scorer too, or just get a scorer separately. When I was first starting out I had the hardest time folding my cardstock without those paper "wrinkles".

An all-occasion stamp set? A black ink pad? Or if she has a great printer she can use digis too... And a few markers if she likes to colour...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2013, 07:55 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

A good metal edged ruler, a blade cutter, healing mat, a colour wheel, and a credit card with unlimited balance, and someone to pay if off
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jukieView Post
A good metal edged ruler, a blade cutter, healing mat, a colour wheel, and a credit card with unlimited balance, and someone to pay if off
Ha, ha!!! I agree. Tell her to not even get started and that it us much less expensive to go buy cards at the supermarket!!!!!! Of course, there is absolutely mo fun in that so nevermind. :0)
I think to start indexing stamps right from the beginning is good advice. You never think you will accumulate so many you can't keep track, but it happens very quickly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2013, 10:03 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are so many things we can add to a list...! I was thinking though, that maybe a set of ready to make cards like StampinUp's Simply Sent cards would be a way to start; there is cardstock, an embellishment or two and small ink pad and a stamp.

I know that learning how to cut efficiently and layout can be overwhelming at first and it may be a way to start out. She can then get a little cardstock and another colour of ink or whatever. You can also show her how to add her own touches to a card kit and that will likely get her excited and her own juices flowing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2013, 10:23 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

A bone-folder, unless you are adding in a score-board which includes a tool which can be used for a similar purpose. I find a non-stick craft mat almost indispensable, though I just buy cheap ones for baking (so long as they're not the black ones), rather than expensive craft ones. But that pre-supposes she will be sponging, which means some suitable inks and sponges . Not absolutely indispensable!!
Even with a paper trimmer, a good see-through ruler is pretty useful for making sure layers are straight, as well as for measuring.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2013, 11:14 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

I'd suggest you include a half-dozen envelopes for A4 cards and a few flat embellishments - so her cards don't cost a ton to mail. That might scare here away. LOL Rather than wooden stamps, I'd say buy two acrylic blocks and a a set or two of clear stamps. I assume that since she is just getting started she won't have a stamping room so she'll be short on space. The clear stamps take up SO little room. One more thing you might consider - a 15x15 clam shell storage container for papers etc and a nice basket tool organizer for her other things. Lastly - a good set of markers for coloring with at least one flesh tone marker.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2013, 11:49 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by HartvillestamperView Post
I have a friend who wants to learn how to make cards, but has no supplies. If putting together a "must-have" list for a beginning card maker, what would you include? I'm thinking a papercutter, scissors, double stick tape and cardstock are essential. What else would you include?
If you have a SU demo nearby, they sometimes have "stamp camps" at their houses, and provide lots of ready made supplies to make a few cards in an evening. At least the demo's here in my city do that.

We paid a small fee to cover the costs of the supplies and she had everything set up at several card tables. Pre-cut cardstock, stamps, ink pads, and a sample card to go by to recreate.

My former DIL thought she wanted to make cards, and I took her to a couple of these. She enjoyed it, but decided that cardmaking was not for her. She said it made her nervous, and she didn't feel comfortable doing it, lol. Maybe that might be the way for your friend to go before investing in buying everything.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2013, 08:18 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

If you pm her address to me i will send her some goodies. It is so expensive to get started. So happy you will have a friend to stamp with!
Blessings!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2013, 05:27 AM   #11  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

The best thing I can think of is not a tool, but advice, such as things I wish I knew when I started:

You don't need a ton of supplies to make beautiful cards - show her CAS samples.

Don't get caught up in the hype of the latest greatest things - watch & read reviews before you buy

Don't buy sets of some things - you may never use all the colors and the "savings" is actually wasted

Buy quality cardstock

Don't expect your first attempts to look just like the sample - it takes time to perfect techniques

Practice - practice - practice

Last - this is about a tool - I cannot stress the need for a good ruler. I teach a lot of classes and people come with cheap rulers and the measurements are not correct. She should get a good ruler like C-Thru and then compare it to her paper cutter and note any difference. This will save her a lot of frustration and C-thru rulers are inexpensive but have perfect measurements.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2013, 07:42 AM   #12  

I think you have gotten some great advice. One thing that hasn't been mentioned, is the Stampin' Up Paper Pumpkin kits. They arrive monthly and have everything you need to create that month's projects. They are great for a beginner!!!! Plus when she gets done with the kit, she will still have some stamps and the stamp spots to use in her crafting! Hths!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2013, 09:19 AM   #13  
Swapper of the Month February 2013

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

Directions to Hollo's in Brunswick! It's really the only place that I buy cardstock anymore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2013, 08:26 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by russnzellaView Post
Directions to Hollo's in Brunswick! It's really the only place that I buy cardstock anymore.
I love Hollo's! My dsis and I each live about 50 minutes from there in different directions (I'm just up the road a ways from Hartville). A couple times a year we meet there and then have lunch. I stock up on envelopes and white and vanilla cardstock that matches the color of SU's cs but is just a tad heavier. Sometimes I find some other good neutrals, too. I also sometimes buy envelopes and bulletin board paper/trim for our church. Love that store.

The last time I was there one of the clerks even smiled, LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2013, 11:12 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
If you pm her address to me i will send her some goodies. It is so expensive to get started. So happy you will have a friend to stamp with!
Blessings!
Amber,

Thank you so much for your offer! We have our "official" first stamping "get together" next week so I will let you know how things go!

Sharon
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2013, 11:14 AM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks for all the great ideas! You stampers are the best!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2013, 09:39 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Tombow Mono Multi Liquid Glue- indispensible
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2013, 04:03 AM   #18  

LOL!!! Oh Lisa - that is sooooo funny!!!! "The clerk smiled"....LOL!!! They aren't the friendly crew are they? But they are usually pretty nice to us...one time they even offered to carry my paper out for us! I was in shock. I always get my envies there and honestly, most, if not all, of my cs there too. I go once a year - live in Barberton - so it's about 30-35 minutes for us. We usually take a week of vacation in October and go one day during that week. Yep, my hubby goes with me - gotta have the muscle to carry the box to the car! Last time I didn't even break the $100 mark so I was very impressed with my spending control. I've heard that they used to set up at the Hartville Flea Market but I've never seen them there. Honestly, I haven't been to the flea market in years - it's just got so big and so many "professional" vendors rather than the mom/pop junk stuff. I like the junk stuff - it's cheaper...the professional vendors aren't as easy to haggle with for the price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-20-2013, 07:06 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

- live in Barberton -
No way! I was just lost in Barberton last week! It was the day after the flooding and I was trying to get to Rittman from Stow (where I live) - the interstate was closed, and SIX detours we tried to get through Barberton were flooded, too. I gave up and went home!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2013, 07:01 PM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

LOL!!! Oh Lisa - that is sooooo funny!!!! "The clerk smiled"....LOL!!! They aren't the friendly crew are they? But they are usually pretty nice to us...one time they even offered to carry my paper out for us! I was in shock. I always get my envies there and honestly, most, if not all, of my cs there too. I go once a year - live in Barberton - so it's about 30-35 minutes for us. We usually take a week of vacation in October and go one day during that week. Yep, my hubby goes with me - gotta have the muscle to carry the box to the car! Last time I didn't even break the $100 mark so I was very impressed with my spending control. I've heard that they used to set up at the Hartville Flea Market but I've never seen them there. Honestly, I haven't been to the flea market in years - it's just got so big and so many "professional" vendors rather than the mom/pop junk stuff. I like the junk stuff - it's cheaper...the professional vendors aren't as easy to haggle with for the price.
From what I understand, they don't have a truck at the flea market anymore due to health reasons. As a local, I venture out to the flea market only a couple times a year - too crazy for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2013, 08:09 AM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

Hi!
I suggest she stay away from "themes". Back in the mid 90's when my friends and I first discovered stamping, one friend only bought stamps that were quilting or sewing theme. After a time she gave up stamping because she didn't have enough supplies or money at the time to have other choices. Yes, she borrowed and we all shared, but she got hung up on a theme and couldn't move past it.

I always suggest sample kits, or all occasion sets, where a stamper can have a selection of options. That way you don't feel stuck with one choice, especially when money is tight and you have to use what you have.

Now, that's how I started and all these years later I have a ton of stamps for everything including ground hog's day, which we don't celebrate, but I have a stamp if we ever decided too. LOL!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2013, 09:48 AM   #22  

Yeah, our little town got hit pretty hard with the flooding this year. But we didn't experience any of it - just had to deal with all the detours around town. And gee, small world - my hubby works in Stow!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2013, 07:12 PM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

After your get together, and if she enjoys it, might I also suggest Paper Crafts Magazine? When I first started I used that magazine as I guide. It showcases a lot of different companies and cards. It's actually because of that magazine I got onto this website. I still have some issues that I used for ideas. The holiday ones are the best.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2013, 02:21 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Some sort of score board. I have both a Score Pal and also a mini Martha Stewart one. Either one would suit your needs as a beginner. A supply of envelopes as well. Most important, have FUN!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2013, 08:56 PM   #25  

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

If you want to get some simple supplies, I'd go for:
-Note cards with envelopes (131527 for $5.95 on pg 164)
-a set of markers like the 12-14 "in-colors" that has a nice selection of colors and the markers can color directly on the stamps without buying a stamp pad (126856 for $14.95)
-and one set that has multiple images and a couple of sayings that go along with her style, something simple like Too Kind (130450 for $19.95 on page 71). I'd recommend wood mounted for a beginner so there is no need to buy a clear block.
-And then one spool of matching ribbon (126848 for $8.95 on page 175)

20 great cards can be made with that combination without having to cut or glue! Once she sees how fun it is to make simple but beautiful cards, she'll be hooked! (like us!)

Of course don't forget to send her right here to SCS to find whatever stamp set you choose, and she can see thousands of cards that are made with that set just by looking the title up in the gallery.

If you want to keep it really simple, I'll also throw my vote in for Paper Pumpkin. Everything is included and it's fool proof! https://mypaperpumpkin.com/en/

Right now, you can use the promotion code PUMPKINDEAL to join Paper Pumpkin before August 31, 2013, and pay only $10 a month* for the first two months.
*plus tax, where applicable. Shipping included! After the first two months, you can easily cancel or pay $19.95 for a kit each month. You could even keep the other kits and just give one to your friend... (just sayin). For $10, you cannot beat it!

((PS, You may already have an SU demo, but if you don't, you can certainly order from me (Lynn Birus) and it'll come right to your door. if you do order, you can use this hostess code: 2U6FC6BJ. No pressure, but I thought I'd throw it out there.))
Reply With Quote Likes