Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-16-2017, 06:02 AM   #41  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What did you ever find out about the Kodak?

Quote:

Originally Posted by j1ceasarView Post
Well this thread is 3 + years old so I wanted to update my findings .

I have an epson artisan 730 inkjet printer ( 2+ years old ) . I bought it mainly to print dvd faces.

While it doesn't have a rear feed . I have easily printed cardstock thru the front .

Yes it does do A 180 degree roll in the printer. The trick is to BUY 65 lb stock and not the real heavy 110 lb stuff. Cardstock I use is for cut and assemble buildings.

I explored buying a new printer and there are some new multi use ones still with read slots or rear feeders, I am looking at a Kodak ( made by Funai ) due to ink costs 50% of all other makers. Its around $ 70 at amazon / walmart and comes with TWO sets of ink cartridges - good for about 600 sheets.

Good luck to all.
So you know if it can handle thick cardstock, 300gsm or 130lb? Thanks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2017, 06:58 AM   #42  
Cardstock Collector

Default Which HP

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossView Post
In have that HP wireless printer that you referred to and was stunned when I was able to print on 140# Strathmore watercolor paper (cut tp 8 1/2 x 11 to fit in printer)! This watercolor paper is HEAVY and stiff, if you are not familiar with it. The printer has a back feed and paper goes through the printer without having to be rolled around a wheel inside.
... printer are you guys referring to? I need an affordable one to print to 140# cardstock like you mentioned. Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2017, 08:01 AM   #43  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

My Epson 1430 prints on Strathmore mixed media - I don't think the print is waterproof though.

http://darlenemcg.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2017, 08:19 AM   #44  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by juntjooView Post
... printer are you guys referring to? I need an affordable one to print to 140# cardstock like you mentioned. Thanks
Printer/copier/scanner I was referencing, and still use, is an HP Deskjet 2541. I bought it in 2014 for about $40 and it is wireless. Key feature that makes it possible for heavy paper to be used is the paper-feed in the back rather than underneath.

I'm sure there must be a new iteration of this style of printer at Hewlett-Packard. Check out what Amazon, etc. have online before going to a store. You will be able to read reviews and ask questions that are answered by owners of that particular model. When doing a search ask for back paper feed or back paper tray.
Good luck in your search!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2017, 08:51 AM   #45  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by darlenemcgView Post
My Epson 1430 prints on Strathmore mixed media - I don't think the print is waterproof though.
Can you be more specific? There are different weights/thicknesses under that description right?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2017, 09:00 AM   #46  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Printer/copier/scanner I was referencing, and still use, is an HP Deskjet 2541. I bought it in 2014 for about $40 and it is wireless. Key feature that makes it possible for heavy paper to be used is the paper-feed in the back rather than underneath.

I'm sure there must be a new iteration of this style of printer at Hewlett-Packard. Check out what Amazon, etc. have online before going to a store. You will be able to read reviews and ask questions that are answered by owners of that particular model. When doing a search ask for back paper feed or back paper tray.
Good luck in your search!
Thanks. How thick or heavy is the cardstock you use? I tried about 130-140lb or 12pt posterboard with horrible results with a deskjet 3632, which looks to be a similar printer. I want to print to paper thicker than the popular 110lb you find at the popular stores
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2017, 11:58 AM   #47  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by juntjooView Post
Thanks. How thick or heavy is the cardstock you use? I tried about 130-140lb or 12pt posterboard with horrible results with a deskjet 3632, which looks to be a similar printer. I want to print to paper thicker than the popular 110lb you find at the popular stores
My other HP copier/printers max out at 80 lb cardstock. No way would they ever take SU colored cardstock. However, this HP with the paper feed in the back will gladly print on Strathmore 140# watercolor paper which is dang heavyweight cardstock, in addition to having a really rough surface texture. I don't have any cardstock that are heavier than that 140# WC paper, so I can't tell you what it's absolute upper limit for stiff/heavy paper is.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2017, 12:13 PM   #48  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

My other HP copier/printers max out at 80 lb cardstock. No way would they ever take SU colored cardstock. However, this HP with the paper feed in the back will gladly print on Strathmore 140# watercolor paper which is dang heavyweight cardstock, in addition to having a really rough surface texture. I don't have any cardstock that are heavier than that 140# WC paper, so I can't tell you what it's absolute upper limit for stiff/heavy paper is.
Thank you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2017, 10:44 AM   #49  
Cardstock Collector

Hi all.

Have read through the comments so far and some useful tips, but I'm looking for some very specific information that has not been detailed as yet.

I want a printer than can print on A3 posterboard that is around 1mm - 1.3mm thick. The card cannot be bent in any way and therefore the printer must be able to accomodate what is essentially a 'solid board'.

It must be an inkjet and use 'dye based' ink, not looking for any kind of pigment ink printer at all.

So I'm basically trauling through loads of printer scecifications online and trying to divuleg exactly what is meant by terms like 'thick media support' - how thick exactly? does it bend the media? 'rear feed' - this apparently often means in the usual place paper would be fead and not actually at the back of the printer, so should I search 'back slot', 'rear slot', 'flatbed', all these terms throw up loads of yarblockoes. I've searched through YouTube for videos on flatbed printers, which only shows massive industrial style machines.

I know a lot of printers say they can accomodate thick media but none are specific enough to detail if they can occomodate 1mm - 1.3mm thick poster board and if the media actually bends when fed through.

Of all my extensive research I've come up with the Epson SC-P600 as my perfect printer to accomodate my needs, but is there any other options out there anyone can recomend please?

Thankyou kindly. Jim
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2017, 06:19 PM   #50  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Jim. if you can find that model on Amazon, there are often many questions and answers provided by those who have bought it. If your question is not answered there, I would contact the manufacturer directly.
Let us know what you find out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2017, 08:30 AM   #51  
Cardstock Collector

Yes indeed, I have checked out various videos and even asked on Amazon about the 1.3mm card printing but of the two that responded nobody had tried to use that function. From the video footage I've seen it looks great, perfect for what I need it for. For anyone interested in the SC-P600 there is quite a few good review videos on YouTube, it shows the machine being loaded and printing onto rigid card/board of 1.3mm thickness.

However, the main thing I was wondering is if there was any other printer models that people had experience with that can print on 'rigid' card/board of a similar thickness to 1mm - 1.3mm?

I can continue browsing manufacturer websites and trying to find info myself but it's exhausting as there isn't much information out there on this particular aspect of printing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2017, 10:35 AM   #52  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

My big HP all-in-one bomb won't print even on 80lb! I'd throw it in Lake Michigan if I could lift it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2018, 05:38 PM   #53  
Cardstock Collector

Default Printer search

I also print on heavy card stock and I�ve been using the Epson WF-7620. It takes the heavy stock through the rear feeder with no issues. However, the color quality is not good. Many of the colors are very washed out and never even come close to what I see on my monitor. I�ve played with the paper settings and they all produce poor color on card stock. So in a similar situation. Beware of the Epson if color quality is important.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2018, 10:09 PM   #54  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stoph241View Post
I also print on heavy card stock and I�ve been using the Epson WF-7620. It takes the heavy stock through the rear feeder with no issues. However, the color quality is not good. Many of the colors are very washed out and never even come close to what I see on my monitor. I�ve played with the paper settings and they all produce poor color on card stock. So in a similar situation. Beware of the Epson if color quality is important.
Thanks for the info. Always wondered what the capabilities of the WF series was. When you say heavy cardstock, is it 1.3mm thick and completely solid/rigid?

Something that is really important for me too is that it goes through the printer completely straight, without any bending what-so-ever, if the WF-7620 does this with A3 sized 1.3mm thick cardstock it could be exactly what I've been searching for

The colour thing I'm not too concerned about, but good to know so thanks for the warning.
Reply With Quote Likes