Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-24-2012, 06:52 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cardstock Printer?

I'm in the market for a new printer that would handle 80lb (SU! colored)cardstock. Anyone have a printer that they love? Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2012, 10:14 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Here's a tip: take out all the paper in the tray and print only one piece at a time. Seems to work best. We use a HP Wireless Photosmart C4750, which is probably out dated by now (1 year old) but what ever machine you decide to buy try printing one sheet at a time for less hassle or jams.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2012, 10:20 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grandma OverboardView Post
Here's a tip: take out all the paper in the tray and print only one piece at a time. Seems to work best. We use a HP Wireless Photosmart C4750, which is probably out dated by now (1 year old) but what ever machine you decide to buy try printing one sheet at a time for less hassle or jams.
This is what I do as well. I have a HP photosmart 8200 series printer (over 2 yrs old)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2012, 01:58 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

I have my second HP 6500 series printer and have no problem printing on any material including cardstock
My current model is : HP Officejet 6500 E710n-z

I contacted the HP Pre-Purchase department and told them what I wanted a printer to do. I wanted individual color ink cartridges; a scanner , copier and printer; to be able to print on regular copy paper, transparencies ( vellum) and cardstock.

They recommended the 6500 series and it does everything I want it to do. I highly recommend this approach since they know what their printers will do .
Most store clerks are clueless LOL

I also buy my ink from HP. They have free next day delivery . They offer rewards discounts after you hit a certain amount. I signed up for their newsletter and although I get a lot of offers for things I don't want I get the ink offer when they have a special deal . They just had take an additional $10 off $50 on top of my rewards discount .

My printer will take Extra large or regular ink cartridges. Through HP I pay around $11 for an extra large color ink cartridge that will print around 500 -600 pages . Black prints nearly 700 pages
HP like all printers have an ink level monitor, but unlike other brands you can keep printing after it says it is out of ink until it is really out of ink in all the colors
One time I was out of a color and printed a couple of recipes in pink

I had an Epson that would not print anything including black after the ink monitor said it was out of "one" color.

HTP

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 11-24-2012 at 02:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2012, 02:00 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have an old Canon PIXMA (something like MP500). It can handle 100# cardstock easily. I have found the trick to be a printer that simply pushes the paper straight through the printer. If it has to push the paper through rollers that invert the paper to print, it won't handle heavy cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

I agree that a straight through pass printer is best, but my HP has to go around a roller and takes the card stock fine. I do put the card stock in one sheet at a time.

So I don't waste card stock when printing digi's I print one image and then turn the card stock over and print another images on the back side and just cut the card stock for each image
If I knew how to use my PSE I could print 4 on a page :(

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 11-24-2012 at 02:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2012, 02:53 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

I have an older HP Laserjet and I print 100# cover in it.. I do it one at a time so I can guide it.. works great. I print out digis using it.

~ Pam

--English writer G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936)

~*BLOG*~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

I have a Dell V515w. It prints heavy cardstock very well. I have been looking at printers that print 12 X 12. IF I get a bonus from my job that is on my list. I have a Cameo so printing on 12 X 12 would be awesome.

Bonnie K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2012, 02:58 PM   #9  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks for the tips! Gives me something to start with... Keep the comments coming!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2012, 05:47 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

I am so sad. My Epson Stylus will print only on the lightest of card stock. It's so frustrating. I may have to trade her in on a new one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2012, 07:42 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a Canon MP560 and it will handle heavy cardstock. I often print 200# cardstock that I make boxes with and I have no problems using the rear feed. It has separate ink tanks, is a scanner/copier/printer, and is wireless. I use a CIS (continuous ink supply)system in mine and my ink costs are really really low. I use a lot of digis (images & paper) and print a lot so this is the cheapest way to go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2012, 04:09 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I have an Epson too, the Workforce and I have the same issue with printing on cardstock. I have figured out how to get around this annoying little shortfall 80% of the time. Using a small piece of scotch tape attach a regular piece of copy paper to the cardstock you are trying to print on, then you can insert it into your printer with the copy paper facing towards the back. Most of the time, the cardstock will go through this way. Works in a pinch! I plan on getting a new printer early next year, probably a Canon, although the HP Barbara Jay just described sounds great. That's the other thing I hate about the Epson is that when one color runs out of ink it won't print at all. What's up with that?!
Quote:

Originally Posted by gr8cardsView Post
I am so sad. My Epson Stylus will print only on the lightest of card stock. It's so frustrating. I may have to trade her in on a new one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-25-2012, 09:01 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm looking for a new printer, too. I also need to print digis so this thread is very helpful!
Reply With Quote Likes