Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-16-2011, 09:58 AM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can no longer purchase SCAL 2...

I didn't see this posted here yet... if it is, I'm sorry for the double topic....

For those Sure Cuts A Lot / Cricut users, As of this past weekend, SCAL2 (for use with Cricuts) can no longer be purchased from Craft Edge. Support for this program will only be available until Dec 2011.

If you ALREADY own the program & only downloaded but never received a CD, it's in your best interested to RE-download the .exe. file and put it on CD as a backup. You can go to the Lost Software Installer page form the "DOWNLOADS" link to access to SCAL2 file. After Dec, if something happens to your computer, you will NOT be able to replace your program.

if you are a new cricut owner or was one the fence about getting SCAL2, some online retailers still have it in their inventory, but my guess is once they sell out, then it'll no longer be available anywhere.

Speculation is that the Provocraft vs Craft Edge lawsuit has been settled or a ruling was made, but no official announcement on that has been made yet...
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2011, 01:30 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

It also says in red that SCAL3 does not support the Cricut. Guess Provocraft has gotten its way with both MTC and SCAL3. That's pretty sad all the way around.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2011, 10:41 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

The only reason I even purchased a Cricut was to be able to use SCAL2 and the versatility. I have had it under a year. SO SAD that Bank of America (owns PC) thought that this was a good idea instead of buying out/partnering with SCAL and their creators. SCAL was no threat to them, in fact many people have stated that they, like me, have purchased a Cricut BECAUSE of SCAL. I have also purchased cartridges so they are not losing money becuase of SCAL. All that about protecting their copyright is just an excuse for a mega corporation (BOA the real power of PC now) to do more of what it does best - run the little guy out of business. Look up BOA and see what kind of corporation they are, how much bailout money they have gotten, how they have treated people. If they neede bailout money why would they waste it on lawyers and going after the small guy that was MAKING THEM MONEY?

I am so disgusted with these big banks and their greedy tactics.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2011, 11:04 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

What next only BOA approved cardstock/paper? I'm done with any Provocraft purchasing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2011, 11:36 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

This is too bad. I need to find my SCAL CD, if not back it up. I still <3 SCAL

:(

MY BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2011, 12:38 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

There is a boycott provo craft site on Facebook. Personally I'm thinking of making a button to wear every time I go into a craft store to shop... its not that often but if everyone did it it the managers would report back about the customers not being happy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2011, 02:53 PM   #7  
Inking Addict

I would like to chime in here, I have SCAL and MTC and then I found out I could not use it with my cricut no more I sold it and every cartridge I owed.
I bought a Black Cat Cougar and I love it. No more cartridges and I can make anything I want and the best part, I can still use SCAL and MTC.
Just wanted everyone to know that there are other cutters out there that work just fine with SCAL and MTC.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2011, 03:04 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by sea777View Post
If they neede bailout money why would they waste it on lawyers and going after the small guy that was MAKING THEM MONEY?
Those programs aren't making them money. A lot of people only bought the machines to use those programs. They never bought another cartridge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2011, 03:18 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

And there are a lot like me that bought the machine, cartridges, and SCAL. I didn't buy it until SCAL was available and wouldn't have if it wasn't. So, they did make money from SCAL from me and others like me. And those that purchased only the machine still made PC money from the sale of it when they otherwise would not have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2011, 03:48 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I am on the boycott pc page on fb... I am just stunned that scal caved. They didn't do anything wrong. imo!

MY BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2011, 05:48 PM   #11  
Cardstock Collector

Default Backing up SCAL

Back up your SCAL2 software as well as your Make the Cut software. And if you have Fairy Cut on your laptop, back that one up...it won't take PC long to go after them like the other two. BOA has no business involving themselves in a business they have no knowledge of!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2011, 12:25 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

I've never heard of Fairy Cut. Is it similar to SCAL and MTC? I was planning to purchase SCAL and never got around to it. Have only had my Expression out once and that was about 2 years ago. Thought I might use it more with the additional software. I do have 6 carts but have only used one of them. I think I need to make better spending decisions. :rolleyes:

Thanks,
Mary Lou
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2011, 01:06 PM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaklatetView Post
Those programs aren't making them money. A lot of people only bought the machines to use those programs. They never bought another cartridge.
If anyone who did not previously have a Cricut or ever thought to own one because of the outrageous prices of the cartridges bought a Cricut because they were elated to discover software like SCAL and MTC, then they DID make money from those machines being sold. And I am one of those who purchased a Cricut because I could use MTC. I also bought a few cartridges that I liked later on.

It's apparent that they no longer care to have my business. I thought I might purchase some more cartridges, but I won't waste the money. Frankly I'll keep my Cricut until it chirps its last chirp. I hardly use it. I'll spend my money on something else and use dies or something instead.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2011, 01:06 PM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaklatetView Post
This probably has some truth, BUT many more people DID continue to purchase cartridges... but when they needed an image they couldn't get on a cart, they turned to SCAL. So SCAL/MTC COMPLIMENTED cartridges more than deterred from them. POC refuses to believe that!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamp_catView Post
I am on the boycott pc page on fb... I am just stunned that scal caved. They didn't do anything wrong. imo!
SCAL creators are a FAMILY run business, they do not have the financial means or backing to fully fight PC in a court battle. Just like MTC, they HAD TO settle so they didn't lose everything.
__________________________________________________ __

If PC would LISTEN to ALL OF their customers needs/wants instead of claiming the "paper brackets on the new E2 were a CUSTOMER REQUEST, but sorry, I've NEVER seen that posted anywhere on teh boards....they wouldn't BE in the position of competition and potential money loss.

But they choose to keep releasing half ***** machines that constantly need "updating" right outta the box, childish designs, and horrible programs. Not to mention the promises of fixes, or enhancments liek the colored ends of Imagine... when now they are saying the colored ends for E2 are coming....

can't wait til I have the money to buy an Ecraft!!!!!

3 Hearts Photography & Design Blog - http://3heartsphoto.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2011, 01:37 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have a cricut and SCAL. I occasionally buy a cartridge but use SCAL more. However Provo still makes $ off of me in consumables: blades and mats. The more I use SCAL, the more I purchase their consumables. But now I have learned there are other companies which sell blades and mats which work with cricut. So I will be buying those instead. Funny thing about Provo raft is they have been claiming to own Sizzix and rights for using Sizzix per their website, which they don't at all. I don't know if they havrpe rmoved that het. They hadnt last I checked and it still said they owned Sizzix.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2011, 02:26 PM   #16  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImFullOfScrapView Post
I've never heard of Fairy Cut. Is it similar to SCAL and MTC? I was planning to purchase SCAL and never got around to it. Have only had my Expression out once and that was about 2 years ago. Thought I might use it more with the additional software. I do have 6 carts but have only used one of them. I think I need to make better spending decisions. :rolleyes:

Thanks,
Mary Lou
Fairy Cut is similar to SCAL2 and Make the Cut...only the file extension is .wpc. You can upload svg files to it and than create and tweak the file to use, I think with Pazzle, but not sure about that. I use it occasionally, but finding that using Make the Cut, I can bypass Inkscape especially if Inkscape is having some 'issues'. It's about the cost of SCAL2 and MTC.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2011, 11:06 AM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Funny thing about Provo raft is they have been claiming to own Sizzix and rights for using Sizzix per their website, which they don't at all. I don't know if they havrpe rmoved that het. They hadnt last I checked and it still said they owned Sizzix.
Ellison owns Sizzix exclusively. Here is an email I got from them.

My email to them:
On May 18, 2011, 03:34 PM PDT lizlucero @ gmail.com wrote:
Is Sizzix or Ellison owned by Provo Craft? Who is the parent company of Ellison?

Kind regards,
Their response:
On May 19, 2011, 07:32 AM PDT Customer Support wrote:
Hello,

Thank you for writing. We used to have a partnership with ProvoCraft many years ago, but are no longer in business with them. Ellison is the parent company of Sizzix. We are not in business with any other company. I hope this helps!

Sincerely,
Sizzix Customer Service
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2011, 05:12 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

SCAL creators are a FAMILY run business, they do not have the financial means or backing to fully fight PC in a court battle. Just like MTC, they HAD TO settle so they didn't lose everything.
__________________________________________________ __

caved V; 2. To give up all opposition; yield
I think we are all on the same side here. There was no negative connotation in my statement. Honestly, I come to SCS to read about crafting not debate semantics with people. I honestly don't think ANYONE blames SCAL. We are all on the same side.

MY BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2011, 06:22 AM   #19  
Compulsive Stamper

Does SCAL work with the Cricut Imagine ?? I see things saying it works with the expression.. I would like to get it before it is gone but afraid of spending my money if it wont work with the Imagine.. I just heard about this product guess i have been in the closet I have alot of cartridges but There are still often times I need something I dont have and hate spending the money on a cartridge for just that one item I need.. Thanks for any help..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2011, 07:20 AM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

SCAL ver 2 works with the Cricut but I'm not sure if you can still get that anywhere. SCAL 3 does not work with the Cricut.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2011, 03:29 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1snoopyfanView Post
Does SCAL work with the Cricut Imagine ?? I see things saying it works with the expression.. I would like to get it before it is gone but afraid of spending my money if it wont work with the Imagine.. I just heard about this product guess i have been in the closet I have alot of cartridges but There are still often times I need something I dont have and hate spending the money on a cartridge for just that one item I need.. Thanks for any help..
No, SCAL/MTC/Fairy Cut do not work with the Imagine. They only work with the Expressions, Create, Personal and Cake.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2011, 05:21 AM   #22  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
No, SCAL/MTC/Fairy Cut do not work with the Imagine. They only work with the Expressions, Create, Personal and Cake.
Thanks that is what I needed to know..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2011, 12:21 PM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

Sorry I misread your question.
Reply With Quote Likes