Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-24-2010, 01:58 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Ever just feel like buying?

It's the "danger zone" time for me. When I want to buy just for the sake of the "rush."

Luckily, I am on a very strict craft budget and keeping to it, but I've got exactly $56 of craft budget left over for the August - September craft budget.

What to do?

Roll it over to October or buy stuff? I think my inks could use some expanding and maybe add to my overflowing ribbon stash? My colored paper is getting thin.

Hmm...

Need is irrelevant.

Advice?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2010, 02:06 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am on a very strict budget too...divorce sucks! But, occasionally I do treat myself to just buy something. Usually I have a set amount, say $10 but it is fun to just buy something sometimes.... I say go for it!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2010, 02:21 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Maybe some pretty paper will help. That won't cost much and will keep you money in hand incase something you really need comes up and it will let you spend some. I always buy brads because I don't have enough already. Yeah right, don't let the hubby or kids read that. Paper and brads oh and ribbon, I have a ton of and still want every thing that crosses my path. LOL oh well it keeps me out of the bars.

Marcie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2010, 02:23 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

OMGoodness Joan! I'm right there with you. I'm itching to buy something. I ordered from PTI and it's been delayed. I ordered from Flourishes and it's backordered. I need something NEW in my hands.

I haven't even used 1/2 of the stuff in my room, but I want to shop! :oops: Maybe we can help keep each other out of trouble, LOL~ But where's the fun in that? Hmmm....I think a quick trip to Angela's may be in order for both of us.

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2010, 02:38 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

I was at a Quick Quotes Private Reserve this past weekend and won a $40 gift certificate and I calmed my urges by using that today. I was able to buy some thing I just wanted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2010, 02:42 PM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am a big believer in rolling it over! Why, in just a couple of more months think how much you could have to spend at Christmas and the sales!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2010, 02:50 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 76 Likes on 36 Posts

I think buying something stampin' related is far better than getting my fix with something edible . I used to "comfort" myself with coffee and pastries and sweets but now I buy something I can create with. Better for my physical and mental health.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2010, 02:51 PM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 587 Likes on 240 Posts

I feel like buying all the time and always have to tell myself "No!" I don't buy on line so that reduces some temptations, I try to toss catalogs before I look at them and I try to stay out of stores unless I have money for something specific. If I had money left right now, I would roll it over in case I see something on my list on sale closer to Christmas.
(Hubby actually said I could have $100 to go shopping tonight and instead of buying craft stuff, I'm getting a new set of silverware. That was a hard one!)
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2010, 04:24 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

If ya got it, spend it. It's your "blow money" anyway, right? I say blow it. There's another monthly budget just days away! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2010, 04:36 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, you could have your cake and eat it too... Why not just take 1/2 of it and blow it on something you want and save the rest to add to your budget later. I'm sure those Christmas sales (and even better after Christmas sales) will be along shortly. I've been trying to not buy anymore stuff lately and what I have been doing is taking a set amount of cash and no debit or credit cards with me to the store. That way I can only spend what I have on hand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2010, 04:44 PM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm on a fairly strict budget also. I love to spend for the sake of spending. Especially stamps and clothes! I have been behaving lately!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2010, 04:55 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am getting so much better about not having to buy it all. Part of the reason is being cut down to part time from full time. Big hit on the wallet. But I also have so much stuff and many stamps that have never seen ink...I did place a large order with PTI this week and that should quell the urge to buy for a bit. I notice I have been going to some of the on line stores here and putting a bunch of stuff in the cart and letting it sit overnight...many times I cant even remember what it was I thought I had to have so I just dump my cart. I do need all things spellbinders and most embossing folders though...lol
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2010, 04:57 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Okay, I just took a suggestion from a friend and shopped my stash. I spent an hour dragging out scrapbooking kits that I bought and never touched, CTMH paper packs from the last big sale, SU DSP from the clearance rack, and Club Scrap boxes that have sat untouched (one was even sealed :oops. I petted it, drooled over it, picked one to make a special card from, and then put it all away.

I had a blast with all my pretty things and I didn't spend a cent. In fact, I saved some $$$ that I had planned to spend at the LSS tomorrow buying patterned paper for my anniversary card. Does that count as a credit to my budget if I use my stash? :lol:

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2010, 05:02 PM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Joan B, do what works for you (I do hope you spend at least a little of it). My solution to that dilemma is very simple. I am a craft clearance junkie. The staff at Joann's and Michaels just call me "sister". They always check my basket to see what I found and ask what I will make with it. Before I buy anything I have to write down 5 ways I can use it. That way I have a written record of why I bought a certain item and I avoid collecting things I will never use. It's also a great way to stretch the creative imagination!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2010, 05:09 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
Well, you could have your cake and eat it too... Why not just take 1/2 of it and blow it on something you want and save the rest to add to your budget later. I'm sure those Christmas sales (and even better after Christmas sales) will be along shortly. I've been trying to not buy anymore stuff lately and what I have been doing is taking a set amount of cash and no debit or credit cards with me to the store. That way I can only spend what I have on hand.
this was gonna be my suggestion, too!! But then what do I know?? I just blew my budget on the MFT VIP kit.

jennik
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2010, 05:15 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

I too would like to just buy, buy, buy ... it is all so tempting. But I am trying very hard to be good and not buy everything just because "I have to have it" ... and then never use it. We are now officially saving for a trip to Walt Disneyworld next winter and that is what is helping me NOT to buy. Anyway, have fun with it ... I personally would roll it over and then have a bigger wad to spend all at once - how fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2010, 05:32 PM   #17  

Received 273 Likes on 161 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by purtktView Post
Joan B, do what works for you (I do hope you spend at least a little of it). My solution to that dilemma is very simple. I am a craft clearance junkie. The staff at Joann's and Michaels just call me "sister". They always check my basket to see what I found and ask what I will make with it. Before I buy anything I have to write down 5 ways I can use it. That way I have a written record of why I bought a certain item and I avoid collecting things I will never use. It's also a great way to stretch the creative imagination!
What an excellent idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2010, 05:41 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Sometimes just buying a half dozen sheets of paper satisfies the urge.
Lately, I have actually walked out of a craft store on a few different times because I felt almost nauseated, like a kid who's had too much candy. Don't get me wrong, I love my goodies, but I am really getting tired of not using half the stuff I HAD to have. Just a new stage I'm going through, I guess. I say save your money and use what you have!

http://camanocardmaker.wordpress.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2010, 06:02 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

yes....all the time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2010, 06:44 PM   #20  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe use some of the money to get some papers that will be enough to keep your creating until the sales in Dec
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2010, 09:17 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

I made a decision! I'm going to use just a bit of it to buy a couple of wreath forms and some wide ribbon and make some wreaths with some leaf dies that I bought last month for just that purpose.

Phew!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2010, 09:22 PM   #22  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yay!!! New purchases!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2010, 12:16 AM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

I just moved and right now most of my personal belongings are in storage. I just brought a large box of stamps to the house we are renting while our home is being built and getting the rest of my stamping supplies this morning. Let me tell you.....when you start packing, taking things off shelves, going through things...you realize how much "STUFF" you have!

There are many, many things for card making on my wish list. (I'm getting a nice, new, huge stamping room-I have to fill it up right?) But it's also kind of fun having that wish list. It gives me something to look forward to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2010, 12:17 AM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

Well, I'm really on a budget. Of couse SC and ebay doesn't help. Did one thing that did. Don't shop at AC or Michael's anymore unless I have a 50% coupon. Of course AC doesn't help when they run them for a week or two at a time for every day of the week. Go on binges. Before was EB folders. Now it's believe it or not it's Sizzix dies. Of course it doesn't help when I find them for 60 cents. Well, at least my granddaughters won't have anything left to buy after I'm gone. that's a good thing, yeah??? Maybe??Guess not. They're female. They'll find something to buy.LOL
sam

sam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2010, 02:16 AM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I am so picky nowadays. I hardly spend any money at the craft stores. Every time I go in I think that I can make it or find it cheaper. Isn't that sad?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2010, 04:17 AM   #26  
Stampin' Fool

I'm on a budget too. And right now is really tough because I'm re-organizing and moving into a craft room. I so want to get some of the Gina K stamp storage cases. But I'm also having a SU workshop the beginning of October. and there are some supplies I need from there, so I guess the cases will have to wait.(sigh). It can be hard when need gets in the way of want.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2010, 04:58 AM   #27  
Watercolor Wizard

I am on a tight budget, but when I spend it is on STAMPS..I love stamps, rubber, though I am not crazy about polymer stamps I love Flourishes images, they are so elegant and stamp so beautifully and I love Gina K and ODB. But I have to be a good girl during the winter months, oil is expensive and we must stay warm, but then again, I could buy lots of stamps and wear my hat and coat to keep warm.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2010, 06:22 AM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

I usually feel like buying when I don't have time to make stuff. Or when I have a little extra money burning a hole in my pocket.

Whenever I feel like buying something and I don't really need anything, I go upstairs and organize instead. Something always needs to be organized in my craft room. ...and then I go and buy something!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2010, 06:30 AM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by purtktView Post
...Before I buy anything I have to write down 5 ways I can use it. That way I have a written record of why I bought a certain item and I avoid collecting things I will never use. It's also a great way to stretch the creative imagination!
I wish I had thought of that when I was putting things away and found a bag with 4 shadow box frames in it. For the life of me I can't remember what I wanted to do with them.... Unfortunately, I do occasionally find a bag that I haven't even looked at the stuff I bought sitting in the corner until a couple of weeks later....:oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2010, 02:39 PM   #30  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

I wish I had thought of that when I was putting things away and found a bag with 4 shadow box frames in it. For the life of me I can't remember what I wanted to do with them.... Unfortunately, I do occasionally find a bag that I haven't even looked at the stuff I bought sitting in the corner until a couple of weeks later....:oops:
Couple of weeks isn't bad. I used to have bags that sat for months! However, have your work area flood and have to throw away bags of paper, etc because it was ruined broke me of that! Now every bag or box goes down to my room and gets sat in the middle of my chair. I have to at least look at it and decide where it goes, at least temporarily.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2010, 02:55 PM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceramicat1View Post
Couple of weeks isn't bad. I used to have bags that sat for months! However, have your work area flood and have to throw away bags of paper, etc because it was ruined broke me of that! Now every bag or box goes down to my room and gets sat in the middle of my chair. I have to at least look at it and decide where it goes, at least temporarily.
Man, that sucks! I am getting better because I haven't been buying stuff lately, but I'm a procrastinator at heart:oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2010, 03:02 PM   #32  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Man, that sucks! I am getting better because I haven't been buying stuff lately, but I'm a procrastinator at heart:oops:
Me too! But that was one ugly wake up call! I do not let bags of stuff I've bought sit on the floor. I love paper, and I love a paper sale! It was really painful to throw away brand new paper. Now even if I have to stack it on top of my cabinets the bags at least get opened and put in a home. Stamps I'm not quite so good about!

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2010, 06:43 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

okay okay...my baby sis called this morning and said she was going to HL, Joanns and Michaels...did I want to go with her, she would drive...how could I say no?? I got lots of new loot today...Yikes...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2010, 03:24 AM   #34  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
I made a decision! I'm going to use just a bit of it to buy a couple of wreath forms and some wide ribbon and make some wreaths with some leaf dies that I bought last month for just that purpose.

Phew!
Joan, that sounds very sensible...and fun! Please do show what you create!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2011, 12:14 PM   #35  
Stampin' Fool

I always feel like just buying. That's why I have more stuff than I can use in a lifetime - lol. I'm trying to get a grip so my husband doesn't put a pillow over my face while I'm sleeping.

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2011, 01:02 PM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

i had to chuckle when I saw this thread. I feel the same way today as I did the day I started this!

I still struggle with the same "addicted" desire to spend. I still buy the wrong stuff. However, at least I'm sticking to my budget.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2011, 01:36 PM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

I too, have more stuff than I can possibly use!! But, it seems with every new gadget that comes out, I want it!! I have both the Big Shot, and the Bug, but now I want the Vagabond!! Ugh...Also, I'm going to a stamping convention in Ocean City, Md in April!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2011, 01:39 PM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

:mrgreen: It's funny to see a thread revived sometimes. . . I wasn't looking at the OP date of course, and wondered about your system if you still had $ from the summer, LOL!

In answer to your initial question - yes. Sometimes I am in the mood for something new and it doesn't matter in the least whether I need it or not! It's aggravating to me and I try to rein it in, sometimes more successfully than others.

I'm starting to see some new things out now and it's a tough time ~ I'll go back to my old adage . . . "just don't look." ;^)

Congrats on sticking to your budget Joan. . . I should set one up, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2011, 01:41 PM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen99View Post
I too, have more stuff than I can possibly use!! But, it seems with every new gadget that comes out, I want it!! I have both the Big Shot, and the Bug, but now I want the Vagabond!! Ugh...Also, I'm going to a stamping convention in Ocean City, Md in April!!
Once I got the BS, it was easy to give up the 'bug! Now I have the Vagabond and may sell the BS. . . I keep thinking I should keep it as a backup but I'm loving the Vagabond!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2011, 01:46 PM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

Nancy, you aren't helping me any!! LOL....i want it!! My friend got one about a month ago, and she is loving it too!!
Reply With Quote Likes