Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-21-2010, 03:25 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Copics- where do you buy them?

I'm thinking of trying out some Copics, but boy are they expensive!!

So, for a newbie starting out, where do you recommend I buy them? I've found them for $4.86 each for the sketch markers. Is that a good price? And are the sketch markers the way to go to get started? I really don't know much about copics although I know there are a lot of threads on here about them. Any advice you can give me would be most welcome.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 03:29 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

I started out with a Ciao set of 36. I purchased from JoAnn's online, and used the 40% off coupon.

I also purchase from Oozak.

The Angel Company sells them, and we just received news, that Copics is packaging a special set to coordinate with a new paper line TAC is offering in their upcoming catalog.
Karen S
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 03:33 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

So is it better to start out with Ciao than the sketch?
I'll have to check out JoAnnes. thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 03:52 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

The difference between Ciao and Sketchs is the shape of the barrel, and sketch holds more ink. Sketches slightly higher cost. Both are double ended and refillable.
Karen S
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 04:30 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

Just the shape of the barrel? Not the nib? I'm curious to know what the shape of the barrel has to do with anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 04:59 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewsgirlView Post
Just the shape of the barrel? Not the nib? I'm curious to know what the shape of the barrel has to do with anything.
The round Ciao roll around on and roll off my desk and the oval Sketch do not. The also feel better in my hand. I have long fingers and the Ciao feel too thin in my hand.

The sketch is also available in more colors than the Ciao and since I'm a bit OCD, I want them all the same.

The sketch hold more ink so need refilled less often (and maybe not at all if it's a color you only you a bit of like dark colors) so it's a longer time until you need to buy a refill ($$$)

Sketch have the color name and number on the caps so for me, it's easier to pick out the one I want without having to take a bunch out and find the number/color on the barrel.

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 05:06 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

so it boils down to

Sketch markers being more expensive, but they have the oval shape which prevents them from rolling, have the color number on the lid, and hold more ink.

It sounds to me like the sketch markers are the way to go.

So, what do you pay per marker? Is the $4.86 price tag I mentioned previously pretty reasonable? Have you found them cheaper elsewhere, besides buying them at JoAnnes with a 40% off coupon?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 05:08 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

oh, and thanks, ladies for being willing to reply to one more copic thread. I did do a search, but there's an awful lot of stuff to wade through. I appreciate it. you've been most helpful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 05:11 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewsgirlView Post
so it boils down to

Sketch markers being more expensive, but they have the oval shape which prevents them from rolling, have the color number on the lid, and hold more ink.

It sounds to me like the sketch markers are the way to go.

So, what do you pay per marker? Is the $4.86 price tag I mentioned previously pretty reasonable? Have you found them cheaper elsewhere, besides buying them at JoAnnes with a 40% off coupon?
go oozak.com, set up an account, and login. Prices are about $4.15/marker. Free shipping over $50.

My brand new blog: Tinkering With Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 05:17 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

I personally like Merriartist.com Their shipping is so fast and they always have all the colors in stock. Really a pleasure to do business with. I buy sketch... I like the oval shape, it feels nice in the hand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 05:25 AM   #11  
Cardstock Collector

I have all Sketch markers. I like the control with the oval shape, and that the number and name are marked on the end so I know what they are at a glance. Another point for them is that they can be used in the airbrush kit and the Ciao's can't...they just don't fit.

$4.86 is a pretty good price, yes! I got most of mine at carpediemstore.com but I've heard really good things about oozak as well.

Personally, I don't care for "sets"; I prefer to pick my own, so I started with getting about 3 in the light end of a family and 3 in the darker end...each about 2 or 3 numbers apart...it makes for good shading. ie: B00, B04 and B12 for blues.

Let me recommend E00 Skin White. That's the one that got me hooked. IMO, it's the best I've ever found for light skin.

Good luck and happy hunting
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 05:31 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

My vote is oozak.com Create an account and get the discounted price of $4.15 per marker. Their shipping is super fast and free over $50 and their customer service is top notch- Rusty is great! Also, you can see what their inventory is for every color so you don't have to worry about waiting for shipments or anything like that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 05:40 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

What about in Canada? It looks like all these sites don't ship outside the US. I really want to start with copics but finding somewhere to ship them to me is difficult.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 05:42 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

cool! I'm off to check out the sites mentioned. Thanks everyone! I'm excited about giving these a whirl!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 05:56 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaylesView Post
What about in Canada? It looks like all these sites don't ship outside the US. I really want to start with copics but finding somewhere to ship them to me is difficult.
This thread here talks about where to buy them for shipping to Canada...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 06:15 AM   #16  
Glitter Guru

If you don't own a single Copic marker, buying the sets is the way to go. Copic came out with a variety of sets aimed for different "interests". They even have a card making set. Joann.com with a 40 or 50% coupon would be a good deal for sets. You might also find a really good deal on Ebay. I know a friend who was able to buy 200 markers for $1.50 each. But if you already have a bunch, buy individually to avoid doubles. Oozak.com has always been my best bet.

As for Ciaos vs. Sketches, what I did was buy the colors that are available in Ciaos first. Then if the color is not available on the Ciaos, I start looking into the Sketches. They both have the same nibs, except that the Ciaos hold lesser ink. If you go to the official website, you can download a Copic Chart so you can determine what colors are available in Ciao. All colors are definitely available in Sketch. In Japan, they were originally meant for kids who wanted to do Mangas. But I guess for us here in the US, it doesn't matter. Personally, I'd try to go to the cheapest route as much as I can because these markers are expensive, although they are the best!

Good luck and I'm sure you'll love Copics
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 06:25 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKICIOView Post
If you don't own a single Copic marker, buying the sets is the way to go. Copic came out with a variety of sets aimed for different "interests". They even have a card making set. Joann.com with a 40 or 50% coupon would be a good deal for sets. You might also find a really good deal on Ebay. I know a friend who was able to buy 200 markers for $1.50 each. But if you already have a bunch, buy individually to avoid doubles. Oozak.com has always been my best bet.

As for Ciaos vs. Sketches, what I did was buy the colors that are available in Ciaos first. Then if the color is not available on the Ciaos, I start looking into the Sketches. They both have the same nibs, except that the Ciaos hold lesser ink. If you go to the official website, you can download a Copic Chart so you can determine what colors are available in Ciao. All colors are definitely available in Sketch. In Japan, they were originally meant for kids who wanted to do Mangas. But I guess for us here in the US, it doesn't matter. Personally, I'd try to go to the cheapest route as much as I can because these markers are expensive, although they are the best!

Good luck and I'm sure you'll love Copics
I agree that starting with ciao and filling in with sketch is an excellent idea to get the most colors for your money... wish I had done that from the start.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 06:42 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

I have all the Ciaos. I bought them used through ebay and here on SCS. that first 144 colors is enough to keep me happy. yes the round Vs ovalshape is enough to convince people to go with sketch first but for a purely monetary standpoint, Ciaos are cheaper. refills are the same price, the nibs are the same, and unless you are a professional artist coloring a LOT every single day you won't need to refill that often. Okay so there aren't numbers on the end caps. and yeah they roll.. but these are small inconveniences to me and did not affect my decision.

that being said there are some Sketchs I want and when I can justify spending the money I will be getting them.. I want all the shades of grey..warm and cool, plus the fairly recent Quad Zero ultra pale colors. I will be visiting my husband in Japan later on this year and hope to be able to pick them up locally. even with the exchange rate they should be cheaper.

ABSOLUTELY Get a Blender pen as well as any colors you get.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 06:51 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

I went with the Sketch. I picked out my own colors instead of going with sets.
I got mine from http://www.ellenhutson.com/servlet/StoreFront and http://www.carpediemstore.com/

Both stores have great customer service!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 06:59 AM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

Hobby Lobby has them in the art department. They have the sketch ones, not all 344 colors, but most. They are sold for $6.49 each, but with the 40% off coupon, they come to $3.89. If you are looking to get one to try or fill in ones you are missing, it is an option.

Trish
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 07:01 AM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

Here you go, my Copic Bible:

This applies to sketch copics:-)

Good site for Basic Info:
http://paperfections.typepad.com/pap...info-page.html

Best prices I have found are here:
http://www.carpediemstore.com/

Best customer service is here: (you have to be logged into an account to see the prices)
http://oozak.com/index.php

I used these sites to decide what groups of pens to buy and what blending groups worked:
http://flourishesnewsletter.blogspot...ollection.html

http://www.susanascustomartandcardde...cts.php?cat=68

http://www.stampingscrapping.com/cat...rna-Colors.htm

1. Dont buy a set, they arent set up by blending groups

2. Becuz of their great prices CarpeDiem is slow to ship, but reliable even tho slow....... has a high minimum order for free shipping.

3. If you need your pens right away, Oozak has the fastest shipping of any purchasing I have EVER DONE for ANY PRODUCT on the net. You must be logged into an account to see their prices, lower minimum for free shipping.

4. Currently, people use these 3 cardstocks......... Georgia Pacific White Cardstock, available at Walmart and Sams Club or Neenah Solar White or Gina Ks Pure Luxury cardstock white.

5. Go to The Copic Library site and download their color wheel and inventory chart. Print and use them.

6. Decide how you want to store your pens, for me it is easier to store by color and in something portable

7. Join Split Coast Stampers, the gallery there is a wonderland of cards and what can be done with Copics. The forum there has so much info and lots of friendly helpful people.

8. Most stampers and card markers who use Copics prefer Memento and Versafine Ink...... I use both. It depends on how detailed the image is for which ink i use. When you buy the ink pads, be sure to buy the refills also.

Hope the links and info help :-) Enjoy your new pens!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 07:04 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Why I chose sketch over ciao:

Because of the oval shape, they wont roll off my desk or table.

I have found how really necessay the numbers are on the lids of each pen. When I only had a few it didnt matter, but now that i have collection, it would be a real chore to keep the colors straight without the lid info.

Which ever you decide, enjoy :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 09:12 AM   #23  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrammaPixelView Post
I have found how really necessay the numbers are on the lids of each pen. When I only had a few it didnt matter, but now that i have collection, it would be a real chore to keep the colors straight without the lid info.
This very thing has me itching to trade the few Ciaos I own for Sketches. Having the name/number visible has turned out to be very important for me.

Last edited by criminalgrace; 06-21-2010 at 09:12 AM.. Reason: typos
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 09:30 AM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by criminalgraceView Post
This very thing has me itching to trade the few Ciaos I own for Sketches. Having the name/number visible has turned out to be very important for me.

I agree it is invaluable to have the numbers on the end of the pen to tell them apart. I just colored over the numbers in this chart from the Paperthreads forum and punched them out with a circle punch and adhered them to the end of my ciao markers with glue dots. cheap and effective;)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf copic cap labels_JLA.pdf (216.2 KB, 42 views)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 01:44 PM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaylesView Post
I buy mine from Oozak. They're the lowest price I've found (both US and CDN $) and they use the flat rate box. If your order is $125US or under, it will cost about $11 for shipping. If you order from them, select the USPS service - it will show about $20 I think, but I put a note in the special instructions asking them to ship USPS flat rate box. I haven't had any problems with them at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 02:01 PM   #26  
Kookie Creator

I buy my Copic Sketches from Icopic.com. Have never been out of stock on any items and the price is great 4.20 / marker. I ordered on Friday afternoon and they were shipped that evening and arrived today (Monday). And free shipping over $50.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 02:24 PM   #27  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have also purchased from Oozak, but last time I viewed they were sold out of a lot of markers, so have returned again to http://www.creativeplaystamps.com/ma...ens-c-257.html they are speedy and have more of a selection, that is not sold out. I wouldn't purchase a packages of markers sold together for the same reason stated above.
There is also a yahoo copic craze group, that has a lot of messages with tips on selections also.

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 02:30 PM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some things to add:

Carpe Diem is the cheapest, but you must order $100 to get free shipping.

If you like them, and you know that you will use them, go with the sketch for another reason:

If you decide you want to use them to airbrush, then the Ciaos do not work in the system. Just a thought...

Nancy

Southern Yankee Crafter Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 08:56 PM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

Marking a spot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 09:31 PM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

I too started with Ciao and add in the sketch when the color is not available in Ciao. As far as the ink they hold. true Ciao holds less, but when I did the math the price of the ink was cheaper in the ciaos, based on how much they held verus my cost.

I agree the only problem I have found is the color being on the lids, but not a huge deal, just a bit more time consuming looking for your colors. If you keep them sorted by color families, not a big deal at all.

Either way they are great markers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2010, 11:12 AM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

hmmm...so much to consider!;) Thanks everyone for your input. It helps a lot when making a decision.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2010, 05:47 AM   #32  
Polyshrink Goddess

You can actually use Ciaos in the airbrush system, they just don't click in to the air grip the way the sketch do. You need to put some tape or tac in the cradle so they will stick securely and they you are good to go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2010, 09:39 PM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

I love Copics! There are some great tutorials on You Tube on how to use them and other tips that are quite helpful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2010, 05:24 AM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i heart papers cheap price and free shipping with an order of 50. plus I really like the owner -- excellent customer service and fast shipping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2010, 05:52 AM   #35  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by gosh2flyView Post
I buy my Copic Sketches from Icopic.com. Have never been out of stock on any items and the price is great 4.20 / marker. I ordered on Friday afternoon and they were shipped that evening and arrived today (Monday). And free shipping over $50.
I needed some markers (Sketch) a couple weeks ago and Oozak was out of what I needed. So I ordered from here...Icopic. I would also agree with super fast shipping and prices. These are the only two places I ordered from and I would say I've been very happy with both.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2010, 10:12 AM   #36  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michellena317View Post
My vote is oozak.com Create an account and get the discounted price of $4.15 per marker. Their shipping is super fast and free over $50 and their customer service is top notch- Rusty is great! Also, you can see what their inventory is for every color so you don't have to worry about waiting for shipments or anything like that.
Me too.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2010, 11:07 AM   #37  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
SCS RAK Coordinator
Swapper of the Month December 2012

Received 3,296 Likes on 2,483 Posts

I will add another company--Dick Blick is where I got quite a few of my Copics. They also have free shipping and will send out coupons--got one for $20 off of a $100 order and still got free shipping,

Join Our Challenge Your Stash Group--click Here!

Reply With Quote Likes