Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-20-2010, 03:54 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you ever feel like no one appreciates your cards?

I love making cards. I don't make a whole lot though because I really hate to give them out to people if I feel like they wouldn't appreciate them. I don't want to just keep making cards and having them pile up. I sent my mil a birthday card and got no response from her. Then I sent my fil a father's day card...again no thank you or anything. I made over 100 Christmas cards and gave them out to family and church friends. There were several family members who never acknowledged that I sent them. There are a few people who seem to like them but sometimes I feel like I'm wasting time and money on making cards. Maybe I should get back into scrapbooking....
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2010, 04:00 PM   #2  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I think people really love them even if they don't respond! Sometimes I'll see people months later and they say how cool it was to get a handmade card, but I never heard from them at the time.. Don't give up
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2010, 04:05 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Usually don't get a Thank You at time of card giving. But my mom and mom in law both save all the cards I make for them! Now that really makes me smile!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2010, 04:09 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

my SIL keeps mine too! and at first i thought my husband thought they were dumb but now he has really grown an interest in the things i do for cards and projects.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2010, 04:17 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Are you quite sure they realize that you actually make them? I have given a few out in the past and then discovered later that they were tossed out because the recipient didn't realize that I made them by hand especially for them! LOL! Maybe they don't know!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2010, 04:20 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

I'm fine with whatever they do. I don't have a lot of room in my house and there are times I part with cards. But I know in the moment, the card or call made me feel special.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2010, 07:57 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hand make the cards I give to people for what ever occasion. They are a card and I am not looking for a thank-you or any acknowledgment. I make them because I enjoy personalizing a card for someone, not for any recognition.

I've never thanked anyone for sending me a card. I would in passing thank them for thinking of me depending on the situation.

I do however, keep any handmade cards I receive.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2010, 08:16 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Talking Yep, I know the feeling!

I've learned the hard way to give my cards only to those people who raved about them. It made me feel good to hear they kept each and everyone of them. Those people who don't acknowledge them, get a store bought card!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2010, 08:31 PM   #9  
Crimping Master

I hand make all my cards. It has given me a fun and exciting hobby since I stopped work to stay at home with my son. I have even had one incident where I gave one of my cards at a baby shower and some of the people laughed at it (and not in a nice way), but I still enjoy making them and I enjoy the fact that my cards are looking better and better, and I'm learning new techniques all the time. I will keep making my homemade cards, even though some laugh and my husband thinks it's a dumb hobby...I do it because I like it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2010, 09:04 PM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

If you enjoy making them, keep making them. It's therapy for me, and helps me stay sane.

I cut small diagonal lines inside the card and insert a piece of paper into each card (kinda like a photo corner effect), so that the card is reusable. That way, the person can reuse the card and my hard work doesn't go to waste.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2010, 09:56 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

I wouldn't necessarily expect an acknowledgement for *just* a card (it's people who don't say thank-you for gifts that bug me!!). (Except in the BRAK, where it's suggested in the guidelines that people do say thank you, and many don't).
But I know our neighbour across the road displayed both last year's Christmas card AND the one from the previous year, and my SIL still had a Christmas card on display 9 months later. I think these days people may appreciate something but don't feel the need to express it. If you enjoy card-making, keep with it. There are always other outlets like the BRAK here, and many charities who are glad to receive them.
I sent a whole bundle recently to Linda (Hotwheels), as she was looking for more than she can manage to make herself.
And as for assessing whether other people will appreciate them - it's a hard call! I didn't make handmade gifts for my in-laws for years because I didn't think they would like them, but it turns out they do - and the cards, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 01:59 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Sorry to hear you don't think people appreciate your cards but you may be surprised that they do.

I send out around 100 hand made Christmas cards every year but no longer bother to those that don't send one back but I do have 'levels', my best friends get very elaborate cards with stamping and colouring, ribbons and embellishments etc.

People in my online groups still get a nice card but more basic and it works down from there.

If you enjoy it and it brings you pleasure don't give up. Maybe send cards to charities? I send 10 cards each to the Defence Forces for our Soldiers serving OS, the Police and the Ambulance service (here in Aust) and I've received lovely emails in thanks and even a few cards back in return.

My Gallery: https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...php?uid=261681
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 02:21 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi fellow Kentuckian! Like one of the other ladies, when we would see each other face to face, they would comment on how much they liked it. Once after making 40 bridal shower invitations, nothing. However, later I was told almost everyone made a comment to the bride on her cute and unique invites.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 03:22 AM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Thanks everyone. I think I was just feeling blue yesterday. The thing that hurt the most was fil's reaction, or lack of, to his father's day card. When dh asked him if he got anything in the mail, he said yes, that he had gotten a $50 gift card from dh's brother. So with him, it's probably just because I didn't send a gift/money. You just can't please him unless it's something extravagant. Needless to say, he won't get another homemade card. I'll save them for my special friends and family. I do really love making them so I won't stop.

I do need to look into charities to send them to. Also, what is BRAK??

Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 05:52 AM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

People will rarely say "thanks"....if ever. I don't think that's the point. They ALL appreciate our cards!!! When I get a store bought card I appreciate it. A homemade card is just that much more special!!! It's ALWAYS win-win...win for us as we make it, a win for them....as they feel remembered and appreciated!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 06:21 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

In this day and age if you even get a thank you for a gift, you're doing pretty good, let alone a card! It's a shame we have grown so so self centered and unappreciative. People excuse their behavior by telling themselves that they are too "busy" for such things, thinking that will justify everything they do. We are losing our manners as a society, and that's really a shame since its about the only thing left distinguishing us from animals. The older I get the more rudeness I see. What happened to the day when men removed their hats inside a building (especially church and restaurants), held the door open, refrained from spitting, etc. Even the girls are gross!

I still give everybody my handmade cards and what they do is beyond my control. If I pick and choose who get one and who doesn't, and get all greedy about it, then I'm no better than they are!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 06:25 AM   #17  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by gram2boyzView Post
The older I get the more rudeness I see. What happened to the day when men removed their hats inside a building (especially church and restaurants), held the door open, refrained from spitting, etc. Even the girls are gross!
I saw a girl spit on my walk this morning. I felt like smacking her. Total pet peeve of mine - grosses me out when men do it but I've never seen a girl do it before! :confused:

The boys in Texas still hold the door for the most part

I think that sending cards spreads good manners and keeps us all connected. I love that there are so many of us here who still send love through the mail <3
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 06:45 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 457 Likes on 346 Posts

I know that many people really do appreciate my cards and others, who knows. But it gives me great joy and pleasure to create them and send them on their way.

Once they are in their envelopes and on their way, they are out of my hands. Some end up framed on walls and some in the trash can. Either way they have served their purpose for me and the receiver, and I am fine with that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 06:48 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Reaching for the Stars

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I so love making cards!! I can't remember the last time I bought a card it has been so long!! With as much money as I have invested, whether someone likes it or not, they are getting a hand made card from me!! :mrgreen:
I rarely get thank yous, but I don't expect them, I didn't get them with store bought either! However, I have been surprised, out of the blue I will here from someone how they send a card but get this beautiful hand made card from us, gives me the warm fuzzies!! :mrgreen: My dad never said much about my cards but come to find out the other day, he saved every one I gave him!!
So you just never know what people really think of them and they may really look forward to seeing what you will send!!

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My
Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 06:49 AM   #20  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by hsmom69View Post
Thanks everyone. I think I was just feeling blue yesterday. The thing that hurt the most was fil's reaction, or lack of, to his father's day card. When dh asked him if he got anything in the mail, he said yes, that he had gotten a $50 gift card from dh's brother. So with him, it's probably just because I didn't send a gift/money. You just can't please him unless it's something extravagant. Needless to say, he won't get another homemade card. I'll save them for my special friends and family. I do really love making them so I won't stop.

Lisa
I TOTALLY understand! I must have spent hours browsing SCS for the "perfect" Mother's Day Card for my MIL. I finally settled on a flower pot card that I know I spend at least another hour making. When we spoke to her on the phone she said the card was nice, BUT she really misses the sappy cards my husband used to send her b/c she would read and reread the cards. So, she suggested next time that I make the card and then my husband can cut out the mushy sentiment and place inside. REALLY!?! First of all, does she realize that my husband maybe spends 2 minutes picking out a card? Not a whole lot of thought goes into picking out a card. Anyways, long story short, my feelings were hurt and my husband now gets the job of supplying all of his family's cards from the store and just signing my name. To make matters worse, my MIL is into crafts and has got to know the tie spent behind the scenes. Oh well....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 06:50 AM   #21  
SCS RAK Coordinator

Quote:

Originally Posted by hsmom69View Post

Lisa
BRAK is a subcommittee of the Random Acts of Kindness (RAK) user group. We compile (and update bimonthly) a RAK Member list (username/name/address/birthday) and make it available to all RAK User group members. We are a very laid back group�you can RAK daily, weekly, monthly, or annually�or any other schedule that works for you. It is completely your decision and we do not keep track.

You can get even more involved by joining a sub forum: BRAK (send cards to members on their b-day), Welcome Committee (send cards to new members), and Challenge RAK (mods issue challenges to members on how to choose a member to RAK). There is also WishRAK group that RAKs members stamped images.

All you need to do to join is go to the SCS home page and locate "Join a User Group" on the left hand side. We process new members every couple weeks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 06:52 AM   #22  
SCS RAK Coordinator

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampnewbie77View Post
I TOTALLY understand! I must have spent hours browsing SCS for the "perfect" Mother's Day Card for my MIL. I finally settled on a flower pot card that I know I spend at least another hour making. When we spoke to her on the phone she said the card was nice, BUT she really misses the sappy cards my husband used to send her b/c she would read and reread the cards. So, she suggested next time that I make the card and then my husband can cut out the mushy sentiment and place inside. REALLY!?! First of all, does she realize that my husband maybe spends 2 minutes picking out a card? Not a whole lot of thought goes into picking out a card. Anyways, long story short, my feelings were hurt and my husband now gets the job of supplying all of his family's cards from the store and just signing my name. To make matters worse, my MIL is into crafts and has got to know the tie spent behind the scenes. Oh well....
OMG. Hugs my stamping friend. I feel your pain...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 06:56 AM   #23  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

For Teacher Appreciation Day in May at our elementary schooi, I made the teacher a card big enough for all the kids to sign. On the last day of school she was opening a card with a gift from the parents and she said "I hope it is another beautiful stamped cards!" It wasn't because I didn't know about it in advance but it was nice to have my work recognized.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 06:56 AM   #24  
SCS RAK Coordinator

I have two, um, "qualities" of cards.... ones that I spend lots of time and energy and suplplies on... and then another category that get a sentiment, some patterned paper, flimsy cardstock, and maybe an embossing folder. You can guess who gets what... ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 07:39 AM   #25  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by lutheranView Post
For Teacher Appreciation Day in May at our elementary schooi, I made the teacher a card big enough for all the kids to sign. On the last day of school she was opening a card with a gift from the parents and she said "I hope it is another beautiful stamped cards!" It wasn't because I didn't know about it in advance but it was nice to have my work recognized.
Mary Beth
Awkward! But at least you know she loved her first card!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 08:33 AM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

Everyone is different but for me I have learned that I can't "worry" what the recipient will do with the card. I enjoy making them and it provides me with a very fun hobby that makes me happy to do. If they like it ...great. If not..oh well. I do like to make extra special cards for ceratin people that I know for a fact enjoy handmade cards. So, long story short...do what you love and enjoy the satisfaction you get from making the card and send it on it's way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 08:59 AM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have found most people are too busy to say thank you but will tell you how much they loved your cards later on down the road. I sent one to my sales person at work once and heard nothing...then I went to see her 3 months later and saw the card prominently featured on her office desk next to her family photos... she then told me she couldn't bear to part with it, she loved it so much. Just goes to show you, most good hearted people do appreciate them. Just forget about the ones that don't. You should keep making them for your enjoyment and share them to spread the joy. I have people at work and church that ask to purchase mine. Those that don't get bought or sent to anyone, I like to donate to Operation Write Home... the soldiers can always use cards to send home to their loved ones and they ALWAYS appreciate them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 09:21 AM   #28  
Compulsive Stamper

I have never received a handmade card from anyone older than 10 years. I just started making cards for my loved ones because I was having a tough time finding greeting cards that were either blank inside or printed in English (I'm living in Finland). When I send a special handmade card to my friends and family members, they have all thanked me by phone or email right away. I think that's nice, and it makes me want to wow them again and again and again!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 09:38 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

the feeling I get for giving them out, is awesome. i know some people wont appreciate them, but its okay, one day they remember that someone taught of them ;)

don't let anyone discourage, continue doing what you love ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 09:41 AM   #30  
Insane Embellisher

I love making cards. The enjoyment that it gives me is wonderful.... For me. I hope those that get my cards enjoy them too. If they throw them away that is ok. I don't know about it! lol I make a lot of cards and so I now give to the Breast Cancer Liason Nurse at the hospital near by. She send them to her patients with a note. Makes me feel good and I hope the patients too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2010, 09:56 AM   #31  
dlm
Kookie Creator

I feel everyone's pain for sending cards that they have made with love to people who don't appreciate them. I can send my father a hand-made card ( stamped and watercoloured ) and he will rave about it. My mum...not so much. I can spend days on a hand-drawn, watercoloured card ( no stamps involved ) and she will barely acknowledge receipt of the card. I've finally given up! This year, I sent a card from the store and she could do nothing but rave about it. I will continue to purchase cards for Mum and continue to make something special for my father.
Reply With Quote Likes