Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-07-2010, 09:12 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those who rent ~

We will be renting in the next few months since it's going to cost HALF of what our mortgage was. I've been saving for cabinets and am a little bummed that with renting I won't be able to do built in cabinets like I wanted.

Does any one currently rent and have cabinets? I'm wondering if there's a way that I can have hubby install like a 2x4 along a wall and then "attach" cabinets to that wall and they'd be sorta temporary...does that make sense? Then when/if we move again, we would only have to patch a few holes that were from the 2x4.

I've been browsing all kinds of awesome scraprooms and love the look of the cabinets. I prefer the look of having most of the supplies tucked away and the room looking neat. Right now I have the messy look with mis-matched tables, desk, iris carts, crop in store cubes, paper racks. I'd like to eventually get a better system going but I have to rethink it with the renting situation.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 10:33 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

I rent and like, you, I prefer the look of things tucked away. My solution, since I know I won't be able to buy for a long time, is tall cabinets. I have one right now and am looking to purchase another. For illustration, look at this cabinet:
http://www.amieroman.ca/works/plover...s.w450h450.jpg

Mine looks something like that. I store alterables and other things in the bottom cabinet, use the top surface for my Big Shot and have a basket of dies next to it. Then, on the top, since I unmount all my stamps into CD and DVD cases, I got baskets to fit in the top section and all the baskets hold my stamps. That way, everything is contained and neat looking but it's in a stand-alone cabinet that I can take with me from house to house and don't have to worry about leaving holes, a mess, etc.

Mine is small and narrow like the one pictured. I didn't know if I'd like that system so I went small first. Now I wish I would have spent the extra money and gotten a bigger one, like this:
http://www.cherrycraftsman.com/Dinin...iningPic01.jpg

The best part is, I found mine on Craigs List for cheap because it was scratched up. So, I simply sanded it down and painted a fun purple color (kind of SU! Perfect Plum). Cheap, cute and I think it's pretty versatile!

Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 11:53 AM   #3  
Compulsive Stamper

Have you seen the ScrapBox? I sell them and could help you out if you're interested. www.stamperstorage.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2010, 03:13 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Have you considered the jetmax cubes? I redid my whole room with them (15 of them) and I still need 3 more to finish. But you can lay the 16" wide shelving board over it and you have a counter with drawers/shelves under.

My room is only a 10x11 but I have a ton of storage. I also like the many different styles of cubes, so I was able to buy just the styles I want.
Attached Thumbnails
For those who rent ~-pict1022.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2010, 06:12 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

I have 3 of the Jetmax cubes - and I don't like them. They work, but they are smaller than the crop-n-store version, which those are being phased out and hard to find. I'm really sold on getting nice cabinets. I may just have to wait a few more years when we are back in a house we own.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2010, 08:24 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

You can get base cabinets. I have two base cabinets with a 8 foot long kitchen counter top sitting on it in my scrapbook room. Nothing is mounted to the wall & it can easily be taken to my next house.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2010, 09:36 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Are you near an IKEA? There are so many attractive and inexpensive storage options there, but I am particularly thinking of either the Billy http://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/?query=billy or Expedit http://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/?query=expedit lines. Both can have doors or drawers added to have enclosed storage. I drool over that 25 cube Expedit bookcase every time we go!

My Little Gallery -- Thanks for looking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2010, 10:39 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carebear530View Post
You can get base cabinets. I have two base cabinets with a 8 foot long kitchen counter top sitting on it in my scrapbook room. Nothing is mounted to the wall & it can easily be taken to my next house.
Hubby is a contractor, but a carpenter by trade. Not mounting cabinets to the walls could be dangerous. Quickly swinging open a cabinet, esp if the floor or wall is out of square, can cause tipping. Now I know it would seem impossible because the cabinets are so heavy, but heavy things can tip and they are very heavy went you are pinned.

If you are going to be renting for a while, it might be best to just plan on repairing the walls when you go. You can minimize the damage by using the appropriate screws to anchor a 2x4 to your wall at the studs. Then screw all the cabinets and brackets to the 2x4. When you remove the board you will only have 1 hole every 16" (or so).

Open shelves or bookcases with coordinating baskets & boxes can look nice, too.

My new favorite site...
My Create, Ink -- COLOR LAB
Reply With Quote Likes