Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-14-2010, 05:51 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let's talk cardstock!

When it is all said and done, the best tools and ideas eventually have to be put to use on paper. I would like to open a discussion about paper, cardstock, companies and cost. Let's share our experiences regarding what cardstock works best with a particular product or project etc. I will start the conversation by sharing that I have been advised that the all time best cardstock to use when cutting with the Cricut machine, to get a great cut everytime is Core-dinations . I am not sure of the spelling. I was glad to get that tip. Let's share paper experience.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2010, 05:58 AM   #2  
SCS RAK Coordinator

Yes, I like Coredinations cardstock... Though I don't have a cricut. Joanns carries it now in a lot of colors. They sell it by the sheet and a couple weeks ago it was 4/$1. Fun to run tHrough the Cuttlebug for sure! But I like that distressed look a lot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2010, 06:07 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Why is Coredinations so great? I am wondering. Is it the weight that makes it so great for cutting and embossing?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2010, 06:07 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use American Crafts, Bazzill and Prism (sp?) paper in my Cricut and Expression. I prefer paper that has the same color all the way through.

Actually, the brands listed above are cardstock and not scrapbook paper.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2010, 06:17 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
I use American Crafts, Bazzill and Prism (sp?) paper in my Cricut and Expression. I prefer paper that has the same color all the way through.

Actually, the brands listed above are cardstock and not scrapbook paper.

Patti
What do you mean "same color all the way through?"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2010, 08:03 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

stampinfeat.....Same color all the way through. Many brands of cardstock are white core which means they are only color on the top and have the white in the middle of the paper. I dislike this kind of paper since when you score and fold/crease it, the ugly white line shows through. Also if you hold the paper sideways, you can also see the white core (middle). Die Cuts with a View is one brand that is white core paper. It states it on the cover of the tablets. There are other brands that are also white core, but I am not familiar with those.

Some people like the white core if they are embossing so they can sand after embossing to get a distressed look (not my style).

My comments are in reference to cardstock and not regular scrap book paper.

Different paper for different people....that's why there is chocolate, vanilla and even strawberry to choose from!

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2010, 08:54 AM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

The Core-dinations have a colored core as well, it's just a different color than the top, it's a lot of fun to sand and distress.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2010, 08:57 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

stampinfeat.....Same color all the way through. Many brands of cardstock are white core which means they are only color on the top and have the white in the middle of the paper. I dislike this kind of paper since when you score and fold/crease it, the ugly white line shows through. Also if you hold the paper sideways, you can also see the white core (middle). Die Cuts with a View is one brand that is white core paper. It states it on the cover of the tablets. There are other brands that are also white core, but I am not familiar with those.

Some people like the white core if they are embossing so they can sand after embossing to get a distressed look (not my style).

My comments are in reference to cardstock and not regular scrap book paper.

Different paper for different people....that's why there is chocolate, vanilla and even strawberry to choose from!

Patti
Wow! Do I feel clueless. I have been a demonstrator and stamper for years, and that slipped by me. I never knew this. I used to just buy Stampin' Up! Paper and I was always happy. This is important to know. Thanks for the information!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2010, 09:11 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

I love Prism paper. I love the rich colors and the 2 surfaces - one side is almose a watercolor paper texture and the other is smooth. It cuts cleanly and embosses (cuttlebug, spellbinders) beautifully for me.

Its actually being sold by Bazzill now - the company that owned it decided to stop carrying a craft paper line. I was so relieved when Bazzill picked up the Prismatics line.

Really though - there are a lot of great cardstocks out there - something for everyone.

My site: Paper Garden Projects
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2010, 10:38 AM   #10  
SCS RAK Coordinator

The whole point of core-dinations paper is that 90% of what they sell has a coordinating color on the back/core. So if you emboss and then sand it... you get a different color coming through. It is also fun if you use it as a card base your inside is different than your base. It is very thick and sturdy.

http://www.coredinations.com/

Bazzill is my other fav, so many colors and nice and strudy. Lots of different textures too.

I know SU people are used to nice sturdy/same color all the way through kind of paper. So I guess "good cardstock" depends on what you are used to using!

I use CTMH, their cardstock is white core, so I usually do some sort of distressing technique and take advantage of it. But I like that look!

DCWV does bum me out when I use it for a card base and get that white crease... but for layering and color availability I like it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2010, 11:20 AM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

I really do like SU cardstock the best. It seems to me that the term "Cardstock" can mean many different weights depending on who makes it. I like that fact that I can always depend on SU to be very sturdy. There are some other brands whose cardstock seems almost flimsy in comparison.

I don't care for the white core either, unless it's just going to be used as a flat mat background piece.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2010, 11:49 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love Papertrey Ink cardstock. Super heavy, so if you make a card, it doesn't fall down no matter how embellied up or layered it is! Plus I love their colors!

Gingham Girl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2010, 01:00 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

I've used every type of paper on the market and by far Stampin' Up! is the best! Their textured papers are head and shoulders above everyone else - even Bazzill. They are sturdier, fold nicer, and the color goes all the way through. I don't like the white core stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2010, 01:36 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I like different cardstocks for different things. I really love core'dinations for embossing then sanding, it gives it that extra something. I'm moving away from DCWV now that I found Core'dinations. It's sturdier and just nicer. I love Gina K for bases, boxes, and with Nesties. And Bazill textured white for bases is really nice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2010, 02:22 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 457 Likes on 346 Posts

Pure Luxury by Gina K is phenomenal for card bases! It's my new favorite!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2010, 02:40 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

stampinfeat.....You learn lots of new things when you break away from Stampin' Up. There is a whole other world out here beyond Stampin' Up.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2010, 03:01 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by allee'sView Post
Pure Luxury by Gina K is phenomenal for card bases! It's my new favorite!
I used to buy it just for "special" things or when I needed sturdy boxes, and was using cheap Michael's cardstock for everything else. I thought I couldn't justify the cost of using Gina K with every day things. But then I discovered I was dreading making a card using the cheaper cardstock. I've since been using more Gina K with every day things, and very rarely am I touching my stash of Michael's cardstock - I use it for kids things and stuff like that though. Now I am using Bazill or Gina K for bases on more and more cards and I find myself happier with them, and it's worth the cost!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2010, 03:19 PM   #18  
Compulsive Stamper

I like Coredinations too, especially for sanding, the lighter core color is great, I even cut strips and run them through my Dymo labeler and then lightly sand the letters.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2010, 03:22 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapgalGRView Post
I like Coredinations too, especially for sanding, the lighter core color is great, I even cut strips and run them through my Dymo labeler and then lightly sand the letters.
That is a really cute idea for using with the dymo! I never thought of that. Thanks for sharing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-14-2010, 07:34 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I only use Stampin' UP cardstock because I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. It is thick and it cuts perfectly even in my Cricut. It is one of the many reasons I signed up to be a demonstrator.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2010, 01:18 AM   #21  
Compulsive Stamper

DCWV is the brand that was recommended when i researched the Pazzle. It cuts better than Bazzil, something to do with the way it's made. It is also easier to get off the mat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2010, 06:15 AM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

stampinfeat.....You learn lots of new things when you break away from Stampin' Up. There is a whole other world out here beyond Stampin' Up.

Patti
You are right Patty! I am out in that world now, and while I still like Stampin' Up, I am learning more and more everyday that there are other things I want to do and try as well. I can still be loyal to SU without limiting myself. I'm breaking away and going out there!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2010, 06:19 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by g33kgr1View Post
The whole point of core-dinations paper is that 90% of what they sell has a coordinating color on the back/core. So if you emboss and then sand it... you get a different color coming through. It is also fun if you use it as a card base your inside is different than your base. It is very thick and sturdy.

http://www.coredinations.com/

Bazzill is my other fav, so many colors and nice and strudy. Lots of different textures too.

I know SU people are used to nice sturdy/same color all the way through kind of paper. So I guess "good cardstock" depends on what you are used to using!

I use CTMH, their cardstock is white core, so I usually do some sort of distressing technique and take advantage of it. But I like that look!

DCWV does bum me out when I use it for a card base and get that white crease... but for layering and color availability I like it.
Thanks for the informaton. I learned a lot from you here. I cannot wait to try the coredinations with sanding now. I need a complete update on cardstock! You have started that for me right here. Thank you !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2010, 08:50 AM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

I've been trying different lines of paper since leaving SU and have to say I still prefer Stampin' Up! paper for most applications. I'll be going to The Paper Zone sometime soon to give several types of white and vanilla paper some trial runs.

I find PTI paper to be the best option for a card base or matting because the neutrals are thicker than SU and don't cause the card to sag. I don't like using this paper for copics as I've found because it's thicker and not quite as smooth surface it takes a lot more ink to fill in an image and it gives off a splotchy look unless you make sure you've totally saturated the paper.

I like the range of colors for Bazzill and use it often for texture. I adore their browns including one that is a true chocolate brown (not sure of the color) but now that I've used this I can't go back to the purplish SU Chocolate Chip.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2010, 04:32 PM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

As a SU demo, I have to say that my number one paper is SU's. However, I love Gina K's, PTI, and my new favorite is the Core din ation cardstock....love it! It is really fun to distress.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2010, 01:22 PM   #26  
Glitter Guru

I may have to try the Core-dinations paper...sounds fun to distress. I do use SU's cardstock as I prefer my paper to have color all the way thru. I want to try the Pure Luxury cardstock from GinaK tho...want to try the white...heard it was great and I dont care for SUs white to make cards out of but its great to stamp on but just not thick enough for card base. I just honestly have never cared for most papers that you can buy at Hobby Lobby or Micheals. Seems so cheap and flimsy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2010, 12:32 AM   #27  
Cardstock Collector

Hey gals new around here, but I just found this thread through google and thought that I would jump in!! I am a very biased individual when it comes to Core-dinations. I love there cardstock! I am actually on their DT.

If you would like to see examples feel free to pop by my blog, there are also links to all the the other DT'ers, Sarah Hodgkinson is anotherCore designer that has a great clean style.

lidibids-scrapnotions.blogspot.com

For the most part I do not do the distress thing either, but I love how the texture possibilities are endless. I am not a big edge inker { I know some of you are giggling, what am I doing on a stampin site?? But I finish all my edges with just a bit of sanding!!

Just thought I would share!!

Last edited by lidibids; 03-17-2010 at 12:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2010, 08:05 AM   #28  
Glitter Guru

Sweet! thank you for sharing and I love your blog! I found that our scrapbook store carries Core-dinations so I will have to run out there and check it out. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2010, 03:54 PM   #29  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by kspivView Post
I may have to try the Core-dinations paper...sounds fun to distress. I do use SU's cardstock as I prefer my paper to have color all the way thru. I want to try the Pure Luxury cardstock from GinaK tho...want to try the white...heard it was great and I dont care for SUs white to make cards out of but its great to stamp on but just not thick enough for card base. I just honestly have never cared for most papers that you can buy at Hobby Lobby or Micheals. Seems so cheap and flimsy.
The Core-dinations is great for distress techniques. The Gina K Luxury cardstock is wonderful. I like Bazzill the best since it is heavier and you have sooooo many colors to choose from. PTI is also marvelous. I even use the MFT special papers 'cause it is the heaviest cardstock I have found and it works great with my Copics. I have lots of SU and want to get away from it. I just find it boring with so much wonderful paper out there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2010, 07:41 AM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrapinnut620View Post
The Core-dinations is great for distress techniques. The Gina K Luxury cardstock is wonderful. I like Bazzill the best since it is heavier and you have sooooo many colors to choose from. PTI is also marvelous. I even use the MFT special papers 'cause it is the heaviest cardstock I have found and it works great with my Copics. I have lots of SU and want to get away from it. I just find it boring with so much wonderful paper out there.
PTI, MFT? I know I am going to be embarrassed , because I probably already know, but what the heck does PTI and MTF mean?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2010, 07:51 AM   #31  
Glitter Guru

PaperTrey Ink and My Favorite Things...I think?! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2010, 09:18 AM   #32  
Cardstock Collector

For cardmaking I love SU cardstock.

For using in my Cricut my favorite is Prism. I hope Bazzill doesn't change the texture and weight of it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2010, 10:06 AM   #33  
Hardware Hotshot

Another "lover" of SU!! I also purchase Bazzil and Gina K!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2010, 02:01 PM   #34  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

love reading this thread as I am wanting to try some new papers. I scrapbook and use Bazzill, AC, BG, Colormates, etc. But I also make cards and recently took up watercoloring again- Still very amateur- but I really want to make my cards look good. What kind of paper works best with watercolor?
tia
Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2010, 02:08 PM   #35  
Gabfest Goddess

I love bazzill textured cardstock, and SU as well.

I have some PTI, but for the life of me I cannot get a good fold - even with using a scoring tool like scor pal. Their paper is just too heavy to get a clean scor and fold.

I wish they made their paper just a tad lighter.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2010, 02:43 PM   #36  
Crimping Master

SU SU SU, 99% of the time! The price is reasonable too. I like Coordinations as an accent as well, very fun to emboss and sand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2010, 06:33 AM   #37  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinfeatView Post
PTI, MFT? I know I am going to be embarrassed , because I probably already know, but what the heck does PTI and MTF mean?
PTI is Papertrey Ink and MFT is My Favorite Things. I am a paper ***** so I check out all the brands out there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2010, 04:09 PM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by lidibidsView Post
Hey gals new around here, but I just found this thread through google and thought that I would jump in!! I am a very biased individual when it comes to Core-dinations. I love there cardstock! I am actually on their DT.

If you would like to see examples feel free to pop by my blog, there are also links to all the the other DT'ers, Sarah Hodgkinson is anotherCore designer that has a great clean style.

lidibids-scrapnotions.blogspot.com

For the most part I do not do the distress thing either, but I love how the texture possibilities are endless. I am not a big edge inker { I know some of you are giggling, what am I doing on a stampin site?? But I finish all my edges with just a bit of sanding!!

Just thought I would share!!
Welcome to Splitcoast! I'm not a stamper either but love die cuts and paper piecing and embossing. I still find a lot of wonderful ideas on this site that I use with my die cuts instead of stamps, and I love looking at the creations people come up with. I hope you come back and start uploading to a gallery here! I love your blog, thanks for sharing that
Reply With Quote Likes