Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-13-2005, 04:32 PM   #1  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wink The New CardMaker Magazine; my take

For a premiere issue, it's pretty darn good!

Photography is very clear and well done.

They never said they'd cater to stampers--but to cardmakers in general. Paper Crafts does the same thing--relatively little stamping is ever featured in PC, IMHO. Does that make PC or CM a bad mag? Not to me--I always see ideas I can adapt to using my stamps, even if I do wish they'd have a few more projects that featured stamping. CM appears to me to have more of a balance with projects that *feature* stamping, as opposed to merely using it just to put a sentiment on a design and nothing else?

Wide variety of style, and nothing going too overboard in any one direction. I must say that I really do like that--nothing overly shabby chic/artsy/etc.

Directions are included for each project! (Simply Sentiments, while good and had nice ideas, never gave any directions for theirs, so IMHO, this is a better mag at that point)

VERY little advertising in there at this point--I'm amazed by this and suspect ads will increase, but that's to be expected considering that's how most magazines make their income. (See Paper Trends; relatively little advertising, possibly none, but hefty "rack" price of $14.95 per issue! Ouch! Better to subscribe, but it is still $35+ for 6 issues/1 yr.) CM is only $19.97.

You may not have noticed, but I saw that 95% of the card designs also had coordinating envelopes to go with! WOW! I've never seen that before in any card magazine--nearly EVERY card has a custom envelope design to inspire you! And, some were pretty clever--check out the cheese envelope!!!! Too cute!

Inside back cover features quotations/sentiments you can use for your cards.

Pattern section at the back very handy and I was especially pleased to most, save a few, had actual measurements listed--so you could duplicate the project without having to run to a copy machine to enlarge the pattern! That's always a winner in my book as my 3 in 1 doesn't have % type enlargement feature on it. :rolleyes:

I braced myself for something dismal, based on some of the comments I've read here, and, discovered I was actually impressed and pleased with this first issue! It can only get better! ;)

Now, I suppose some would consider me biased, as I was lucky to get a design or two in there, but, all bias aside, I think it's going to be a very good magazine. I'm sending in my check! :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 07:06 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Julie covered it all very well and in depth.

I too like the fact that there are measurements and great instructions with the cards. I hate seeing something that I just have to make and then spending forever trying to figure out what the sizes are.

I'm sending in my moolah too
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 07:17 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have ordered my magazine...saw a friend's last week. Congrats Julie on your designs in the mag...very nice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 08:17 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

So where did you find this mag? Do you think Michael's carries it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 08:43 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

Red face thanks for the update

Thanks for the info on the new magazine Julie Now, I can not wait to get mine!!!!

SCS memeber # 27799
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 08:49 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

I was so tickled to get mine in the snail today, especially since I knew My Hero's designs would be in there! Go Julie!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 09:26 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

I just purchased this tonight. I'll have to really look through it. It looked nice when I was flipping through it quickly at Barnes and Noble.

I did get the Joy of Cardmaking, a Paper Crafts magazine special edition, and I love that. It has 200 or more cards in it and shows the sketch for each.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2005, 09:29 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZShann
I just purchased this tonight. I'll have to really look through it. It looked nice when I was flipping through it quickly at Barnes and Noble..
So--does this mean you can really get it at B&N?? Or do you have to be a charter subscriber?

I want to see it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2005, 02:06 AM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

I enjoyed it, as I stated in a couple of other posts. Like Julie said, They give directions for each project~ I love that-less thinking on my part;) and the pattern section is in the back-very convenient. But that baby button on "one" of Julie's cards! OMG that is the cutest thing I have EVER seen, I show it to everybody. This is a brand new mag-just born- it needs time to grow and get better. Look quite frankly - when my younger son was born - he was not "cute" by any stretch of the means, in fact I would say the "u" word quite honestly maybe even alienish, but I kept him anyway (they don't take returns) and now ten years later he is soo cute and adorable. He just needed some time to grow. As do we all:cool:
Melanie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2005, 04:39 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Nice, I like it

I got mine today. Loved your submissions Julie.

I liked it just fine and devoured it cover to cover when I got it. It got my creative juices flowin!

I liked the little extra's like the "bookshelf" section that gave a run down on new papercraft books on the market. I like the favorite products section and in the back they had a section on crafting basics. The back cover had a few seasonal quotes to use on cards or layouts. They did a feature on pop-up cards...which makes me think they may have a technique feature in the next edition.

I liked the page layout on cards. Especially that they included the recipe and the "how to do it" for each card.

I'm glad I subsribed.
SCS#5115
My Humble Gallery
"If God brings you to it, He'll bring you through it"
My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2005, 04:45 AM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

Send a message via Skype™ to klake

I hadn't seen that one, thanks for the reviews! I also got Joy of Stamping, lots of great ideas. I wish there were more volumes of "Card Creations," I still flip through v. 1 & 2 for inspiration. Does anyone know if there are more of those? I checked online and haven't seen more than the two.

Kate
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2005, 04:46 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

I looked through one at Walmart yesterday. I am looking forward to getting mine in the mail.

Tina R
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2005, 05:12 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks Julie! And congrats!!
I have not rec'd mine yet but hope to get it soon so that I can enjoy it as you have!!

Shelley

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2005, 05:29 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampmomma
So--does this mean you can really get it at B&N?? Or do you have to be a charter subscriber?

I want to see it!
I saw it at JoAnn etc

My new favorite site...
My Create, Ink -- COLOR LAB
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2005, 05:29 AM   #15  
Glitter Guru

OK was I the only one that really didn't like it...Seriously the only cards I liked in there were Julie's....I flipped the page and was like - Oh I like that one and then saw the name - of course I liked it - Julie did it...

But most of the other examples were just totally not my style - too country too fru-fru - to much work with all the paper and accessories and rub-ons and such - maybe it will get better...

Personally I think SU needs to come out with thier own magazine - like CM has done...I would subscribe to that in a heartbeat (and would probably pay a premium price too) - imagine a magazine chock full of Stampin Up samples and templates for us to use - Like what the demos get each month but for us peons...and just imagine the boost in sales for SU - heck I am sure SCS has boosted SU sales...Just a few weeks ago they were all probably scratching there heads and wondering why all of a sudden they had a ton of orders for the paisley background...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2005, 05:48 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenmouer
OK was I the only one that really didn't like it...
Hey, Jenni! I'm sure you are not the only one that doesn't like it! And everybody's tastes are different!

I quit subscribing to Somerset Studio because it had gotten waaaaaay too artsy for ME. I still think the creations in there are stunning/beautiful/breathtaking, but most of the stuff in there is too time-consuming for me.

So, I buy a copy off the rack every now and then when the issue speaks to me! ;)

PaperCrafts, generally speaking, like Simply Sentiments, is designed to help scrappers use scrapbooking supplies & materials to make cards. I subscribe to it, even tho I wish they'd feature more stamping. Still I can adapt what I see. For me, my real complaint with PC is that it's becoming more and more like CK, their parent mag for scrapping. Too over-board in all the stuff (embellishments). . .

Stamp It! is designed to help stampers specifically make cards, and emphasizes those techniques with all their samples. I buy off-rack, cuz can't get a sub . . . :( Only issued quarterly. . .

RubberStamper, I buy off-rack as issues tend to be hit and miss for me in the last year . . .

Stamper's Sampler, I sub and, most of the time, love everything I see in every issue--BUT, they have a few that went too artsy for me, and I hope they will curb that, or I'll end up dropping it like Somerset . . .

I can't sub to 'em all--have no room to store 'em! :eek:

But, I would if I could . . . I love looking through my mags and still have many (too many) old ones I still need to go through, tear out pages of interest, and discard the rest. . . sigh . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2005, 06:06 AM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

Red face

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenmouer
OK was I the only one that really didn't like it...
No, you are not alone. Although the samples are great, the magazine as a whole did nothing for me. Not really sure why, but I wasn't greatly impressed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2005, 06:11 AM   #18  
Kar
Gabfest Goddess

hmmm I gotta go to town and page through it soon... I don't subscribe to many magazines, in fact only Papercrafts for me now, because they get so darn expensive when you buy to many.
SCS member #735
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2005, 06:18 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Smile

Lady, my dog is going to be really happy in about 15 minutes. Ya know why? Cuz that's when the mail comes and I am going go check for my sub. Can't wait to see what the great Julie HRR has done now

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2005, 09:55 AM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

JulieHRR - I just love your work in this and was so "proud" to see your work so prominently features. (Sigh, just living vicariously again! :rolleyes: ) I especially love that baby/button card!
Reply With Quote Likes