Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-18-2009, 05:27 PM   #2001  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Worse case, I will get them Friday, I am not working that day, but I wanted to be happily organizing and filling in my chart today too lol. Oh well, perhaps Lost will distract me

Erin
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 05:39 PM   #2002  
Quacker Stamper

Received 1,072 Likes on 854 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paper KissyView Post
Worse case, I will get them Friday, I am not working that day, but I wanted to be happily organizing and filling in my chart today too lol. Oh well, perhaps Lost will distract me

Erin
Oh, LOST is AWESOME! Confusing, but awesome!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 07:35 PM   #2003  
Polyshrink Goddess

LOVE YOUR IMAGES....:-D Keep going and then I'll know what I need...

On the angel I was going to color her dress, etc a color and then make the wings, etc shine..do they in person with the clear spica?....I don't have that....

Quote:

Originally Posted by nottoocreativeView Post
Here are a couple I tried last night...you can't tell in the photos but I used a clear Spica on the wings and some other details, and Sakura gelly roll pens on the umbrella, raincoat, etc. and on the flower words/black dots.
I tried a yellow shadow (I don't remember what color, it may have been Neopiko Pale Yellow, or YR00) to make her look like she was glowing, but I don't know if I like it...what do you think? Any suggestions for the white?
(btw I used BG10 on Changito and W2 on Belinda Bumbleboots for the shadowing, and C2 layered over BG10 on the angel wings)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 07:37 PM   #2004  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Here are a couple I tried last night...you can't tell in the photos but I used a clear Spica on the wings and some other details, and Sakura gelly roll pens on the umbrella, raincoat, etc. and on the flower words/black dots.
I tried a yellow shadow (I don't remember what color, it may have been Neopiko Pale Yellow, or YR00) to make her look like she was glowing, but I don't know if I like it...what do you think? Any suggestions for the white?
(btw I used BG10 on Changito and W2 on Belinda Bumbleboots for the shadowing, and C2 layered over BG10 on the angel wings)
WOW.............those are all really great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 05:31 AM   #2005  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Great job! I love your coloring!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 06:18 AM   #2006  
Forum Fanatic

Thanks you guys! practice practice practice LOL

The Spica seemed shiny when I first put it on, but the next day when I took the pictures I could not see it! Then, in different light, I could see it, but barely. So it is very subtle.
Yesterday I did another one and used an almost clear glitter glue (it is actually a fabric glue by Tulip!) and it was MUCH better...not overwhelming like Stickles or actual glitter would be, but more sparkly than the Spica. Spica is nice to use, but almost too subtle for my taste.
Unless someone else has some tips on using the Spica to make it show up more?!

Here's another one with the Spica, taken closer so you can see it a tad on the middle row of flowers (it's on the wings, necklace, etc too but you can't see it in this photo)...
And an angel with colored pants, just to see how it looks...I did the shadows on the wrong side I think so just ignore that!
Attached Thumbnails
Copic Chatter-cards-018.jpg   Copic Chatter-cards-009.jpg  

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln

Last edited by nottoocreative; 03-19-2009 at 06:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 06:34 AM   #2007  
Forum Fanatic

Here's the one with the Tulip shimmer. The light was a little bluish but you can see the shimmer at least. I tried to shade more on this one (RV10 and RV13, RV17 on the trims), still need work on that! There is RV000 on the wings IRL.

Any tips on making something glow?! I tried doing the "rays" and I don't like it. I used a yellow "shadow" on her face near the candles and gray on the rest (I think it was C2 but I'm not positive)
Attached Thumbnails
Copic Chatter-cards-032.jpg  

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 06:55 AM   #2008  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Here's the one with the Tulip shimmer. The light was a little bluish but you can see the shimmer at least. I tried to shade more on this one (RV10 and RV13, RV17 on the trims), still need work on that! There is RV000 on the wings IRL.

Any tips on making something glow?! I tried doing the "rays" and I don't like it. I used a yellow "shadow" on her face near the candles and gray on the rest (I think it was C2 but I'm not positive)
I got a "how to" book on manga for some coloring tips and the glow they did is quite harsh. The thing is the rest of the background needs to be filled in darker to make the glow show up more and the parts the glow hits need to be lighter and of course there are the shadows cast by the glow etc. HTH

Personally for a card I would probably stick with the glow you did - if I were doing artwork I may do more of a manga style... I guess it could be a situation where an airbrush system would help to fade out the color... HMMM

By the way your coloring is really good but I think I already told you that! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 08:59 AM   #2009  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
I got a "how to" book on manga for some coloring tips and the glow they did is quite harsh. The thing is the rest of the background needs to be filled in darker to make the glow show up more and the parts the glow hits need to be lighter and of course there are the shadows cast by the glow etc. HTH

Personally for a card I would probably stick with the glow you did - if I were doing artwork I may do more of a manga style... I guess it could be a situation where an airbrush system would help to fade out the color... HMMM

By the way your coloring is really good but I think I already told you that! :mrgreen:
Thanks, I don't mind hearing it again :mrgreen:
Thanks for the tips, too...makes sense, maybe I'll look up a manga book. You also reminded me, I could have used chalk instead (although I haven't perfected THAT, either, at least it's softer looking). I get so caught up in the markers that I forget other options!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 09:22 AM   #2010  
Pearl-ExPert

Ohhh...is there such a thing as a GLOW pen? Like glow in the dark ink??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 09:24 AM   #2011  
Quacker Stamper

Quote:

Very cute.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 09:28 AM   #2012  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjbappView Post
Ohhh...is there such a thing as a GLOW pen? Like glow in the dark ink??
Hmm, I was kind of wondering the same thing. I wonder if the fluorescent Copics would work like that a little?
I know there's PAINT that is glow in the dark...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 09:48 AM   #2013  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Barium Yellow! I used it for a light glow on this card:
http://blog.papermonkey.org/index/20...ly-trails.html

I think it shows up a bit in the close up photo (double click to enlarge then it shows a bit), but it is a very sheer light yellow. In person this looks like a lovely soft glow. The dang camera didnt pick it up well.

I fade that into darker yellows and then use a colorless blender pen, but for easy I just used barium here.

Designing For Great Companies Including:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 11:03 AM   #2014  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suzy_HView Post
Barium Yellow! I used it for a light glow on this card:
http://blog.papermonkey.org/index/20...ly-trails.html

I think it shows up a bit in the close up photo (double click to enlarge then it shows a bit), but it is a very sheer light yellow. In person this looks like a lovely soft glow. The dang camera didnt pick it up well.

I fade that into darker yellows and then use a colorless blender pen, but for easy I just used barium here.
Beautiful card! I think that's actually what I used (at least, I tried it, may have gone over it with something else)...I just wasn't sure if I should do "rays" or a half circle or what...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 11:15 AM   #2015  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Ink pads that do; ink pads that don't

Hi All,

I'm new to Splitcoaststampers and new to copic markers but not new to stamping. For you Copic Subject Matter experts I have two questions:

1. Ink Pads: Will you share a list of ink pads that don't bleed or blur and also those that lose their sharp image and don't work so well?

2. Cardstock: Are you using total a heavily absorbant paper, or something with a little bit of coating to it? Anyone ever try plastic coated cardstock?

I look forward to experimenting once my copics arrive in the mail, but would love to hear from ya'll in the meantime.

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 11:29 AM   #2016  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by JenabethView Post
Hi All,

I'm new to Splitcoaststampers and new to copic markers but not new to stamping. For you Copic Subject Matter experts I have two questions:

1. Ink Pads: Will you share a list of ink pads that don't bleed or blur and also those that lose their sharp image and don't work so well?

2. Cardstock: Are you using total a heavily absorbant paper, or something with a little bit of coating to it? Anyone ever try plastic coated cardstock?

I look forward to experimenting once my copics arrive in the mail, but would love to hear from ya'll in the meantime.

Thanks in advance!!
Hi,

The inks that are most recommended are:

By far #1: Memento ink in Tuxedo Black
Closely followed by: Palette Noir ink, Ranger Distress ink in Black Soot.

The inks you should NOT use are: Staz-ON!!! Do not use ANY waterproof inks with alcohol-based markers like Copics.

I have heard the best cardstock to use is the Neenah Solar White. A lot of people like the white from Papertrey Inc as well, and some people recommend some of the Gina K. cardstock.

Good luck, HTH!

I'm a Bella Babe!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 07:41 AM   #2017  
Rubber Obsessor

Have I read somewhere in the 100's of pages of copic threads that there is a chart you can color in as you purchase markers? Maybe I'm dreaming - if so - can I get ideas of how to keep up with what I buy? Strange, I know.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 07:43 AM   #2018  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by croppingjujuView Post
Have I read somewhere in the 100's of pages of copic threads that there is a chart you can color in as you purchase markers? Maybe I'm dreaming - if so - can I get ideas of how to keep up with what I buy? Strange, I know.....
I think this is what you are looking for...

Copic Chart.pdf

I'm a Bella Babe!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 08:06 AM   #2019  
Stampin' Fool

I finally got my markers, I had to go pick them up at the Fedex facility. Booo.

WHAT is it with these things that the second you get a shipment in your house and charted and put away you instantly start planning out which ones you need next lol?

Erin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 09:07 AM   #2020  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by r2mckinlView Post
I think this is what you are looking for...

Attachment 139248

Great - thank you.....

Is there a list of markers to get as a beginner posted anywhere?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 09:34 AM   #2021  
Inking Addict

Quote:

WHAT is it with these things that the second you get a shipment in your house and charted and put away you instantly start planning out which ones you need next lol?

Erin
Haha that is how i am..i think i have enough for now. I want the multiliner's now..happy coloring
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 10:27 AM   #2022  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Erin
LOL!

And that my dear is why I just went straight for the jugular and ordered ALL the Ciao's. I got a good deal and containers so I am happy. :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 10:32 AM   #2023  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Great - thank you.....

It all just depends on what you color.

If you do people then you need skin/hair tones
Animals then you need fur tones
Landscapes greens and blues etc.

My advice if you are going to start collecting one or two at a time is try to get three in near colors as light as you can - I would stay in the 01's, 10's, 20's, 30's and the lower numbers in those.

Also my most used colors are my greys and I have those (every other number) right up to a dark nearly black.

and I love my colorless blender.

www.ilikemarkers.blogspot.com has a wealthy of information too.

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 10:58 AM   #2024  
Stampin' Fool

I just put some markers and other goodies on buy/sell board
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 02:51 PM   #2025  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Erin
It'll be that way til you have them all. :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 05:45 PM   #2026  
Quacker Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by JenabethView Post
Hi All,

Thanks in advance!!
Just wanted to say Jenabeth, have fun with your Copics. I'm loving mine. One suggestion is that you change the font for your posts so the letters are a little larger. It's kind of hard for my old eyes to read your post. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2009, 03:02 AM   #2027  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Great - thank you.....

I have a suggestion list on my blog...if you click January (I think...possibly February) look for Starting With Copics.

It's just a basic list of my most used colors that work well together...and god forbid I have to give up all but 25, those would be the ones.

Last edited by TexasGrammy; 01-06-2011 at 09:32 PM.. Reason: blog reference: Please share your personal list within the thread. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2009, 10:55 AM   #2028  
Quacker Stamper

Hi ladies. I'm going on vacation tomorrow for a week. I thought I'd take some images to play with and some of my Copic markers. I have about 120 of them, so I really can't take them all. Just wondered what you thought would be a good mix.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2009, 09:35 PM   #2029  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiannView Post
Haha that is how i am..i think i have enough for now. I want the multiliner's now..happy coloring
Ypu will love the multiliners too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2009, 06:00 AM   #2030  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluvpaper2View Post
Ypu will love the multiliners too!
yeah, I have them in every color
My Facebook Page
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2009, 02:28 PM   #2031  
Kookie Creator

I have a question about the multiliners. I got a .35 about a week ago and last night my daughter managed to bend the tip on it. I was very surprised because she is very trustworthy and gentle with my supplies - I even let her have free reign with the copics and she was just writing on cardstock. Are they usually that delicate? I did manage to straighten it back out and it seems ok so far.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2009, 02:43 PM   #2032  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Beautiful job! Your coloring looks amazing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2009, 02:48 PM   #2033  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2,488 Likes on 1,486 Posts
Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by diane617View Post
yeah, I have them in every color
Just wanted to comment on the lovely little girl - she is truly precious. :-D
Caterina www.colesfoundation.org www.colespages.com www.kidsunitetofight.com Everything can change in the blink of an eye. But don't worry; God never blinks. America will only be the land of the free so long as it is the home of the Brave https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/f...t-t339556.html
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2009, 04:49 PM   #2034  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by caterinafmigView Post
Just wanted to comment on the lovely little girl - she is truly precious. :-D
Thanks, she turns three in 2 months and she's my only grandchild so far!
My Facebook Page
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2009, 04:57 PM   #2035  
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by diane617View Post
Thanks, she turns three in 2 months and she's my only grandchild so far!
Being a grandmother is the very best! Have an 18 year old granddaughter and three grandsons, 10, 3 & 18 months. There are such blessings! :-D
Caterina www.colesfoundation.org www.colespages.com www.kidsunitetofight.com Everything can change in the blink of an eye. But don't worry; God never blinks. America will only be the land of the free so long as it is the home of the Brave https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/f...t-t339556.html
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2009, 05:09 PM   #2036  
Embossing Fanatic

I have researched the copics and am ready to buy but need a sale! Anybody know of any going on?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2009, 06:05 PM   #2037  
Kookie Creator

I know on Carpe Diem they are listed as $4.87 but once in your cart they are 3.95. (I think it says while supplies last but I have ordered twice in the last week and always gotten 3.95.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2009, 06:52 PM   #2038  
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by WickedPixieView Post
I know on Carpe Diem they are listed as $4.87 but once in your cart they are 3.95. (I think it says while supplies last but I have ordered twice in the last week and always gotten 3.95.)
Tracie, can you supply a link? Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2009, 07:49 PM   #2039  
Kookie Creator

Here you go! http://www.carpediemstore.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2009, 07:59 PM   #2040  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inky PawsView Post
Beautiful job! Your coloring looks amazing!
why, thanks! It's the Copics, not me! ;)

Reply With Quote Likes