Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-10-2009, 01:36 PM   #841  
Forum Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjbappView Post
Ok....I think this was posted before, but now is a good time to share it again...with all the ink talk:

http://stampingscience.blogspot.com/...ink-tests.html

Shows ALL the inks on ALL the papers, and the results you can expect. I personally have tried a few, and got the same results, soooo...I am guessing if your results are significantly different, it IS possible that there is a bad inkpad involved?
Cher,
I'm not sure why but I have the same problem...Memento bleeding on GP White (even though this link shows it as being fine). And, at LSS when I asked about it, the lady there said SHE has the same problem with Memento & Copics (this time on Prism paper). So, I'd have to say "your mileage may vary!" The only thing that works for me is embossing first (with clear ep) on a black pigment ink, like Brilliance or Archival.

Things that make you go "hmmmm"

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 02:11 PM   #842  
Rubber Obsessor

I have been using Palette black Noir on everything and it does not bleed and it does not need to be heat set...

Quote:

Originally Posted by nottoocreativeView Post
Cher,
I'm not sure why but I have the same problem...Memento bleeding on GP White (even though this link shows it as being fine). And, at LSS when I asked about it, the lady there said SHE has the same problem with Memento & Copics (this time on Prism paper). So, I'd have to say "your mileage may vary!" The only thing that works for me is embossing first (with clear ep) on a black pigment ink, like Brilliance or Archival.

Things that make you go "hmmmm"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 03:13 PM   #843  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by LazorkayView Post
gee, Thanks gals - I just spent $100 at Carpe
ME TOO and more...........

I'm finally working on my order. I feel like I need a gray from each section.........anybody agree or disagree with that? If you agree, which ones? Also, if I want some purples, or one of the "V"'s family, recommendations?

I so thank all of you for this long process of my beginning order and all my questions. Trying so hard to get the best variety for my $$ right now because I don't know when I can order again. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 03:22 PM   #844  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by missinkyfingersView Post

I'm finally working on my order. I feel like I need a gray from each section.........anybody agree or disagree with that? If you agree, which ones? Also, if I want some purples, or one of the "V"'s family, recommendations?

I so thank all of you for this long process of my beginning order and all my questions. Trying so hard to get the best variety for my $$ right now because I don't know when I can order again. :(
I don't know if this will help at all, but here is a blog post where I shared my top 30 markers (the ones I reach for the most). But remember - this is just my opinion.... (and its free - you know what they say about getting what you pay for :rolleyes: )

I tend to like the BV's better than the V's - but I'm not much of a purple person so I don't think I can help much there.

http://papergardenprojects.com/blog/...lor-picking-2/

My site: Paper Garden Projects
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 03:27 PM   #845  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

I definitely think you need warm & cool grays, but I don't know how useful the neutral/toner ones are. As for the purples, on the one blog above http://www.kiyomikrafts.com/kiyomi.html (look for Copics 101)
she used the BV000 and V09 and it was beautiful! She's the one that just uses the lightest and darkest, and blends them...so, I would think you could start with just those two. I bought a couple Prismacolor purples, just because they were cheaper and I didn't need a particular shade (like I did for the skins, or to match an SU color--in which case, I bought the necessary Copic)

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 03:28 PM   #846  
Stampin' Fool

I love Nick Bantock ink. Nick and Adirondack on PTI work great for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 04:22 PM   #847  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Yeah, their customer service seems to be a bit lacking. I've emailed them on 3 different occasions (different questions) with never a reply. I did order $50 in Sketch along with some other things, and they did remove the whole shipping charge on the screen at least (after the order goes through, you have to look in your account to see that, it will show the shipping charge when you first check out). We'll see what actually happens.
If anyone else has had experience with Carpe Diem, how does the credit card charge work? At no time in the checkout did it ask for my card information (just asked "how" I was going to pay)...so when do they get the information??! I'm impatient now, want those Copics!
I got an answer this afternoon. They were as sweet as pie and said that a few refills would be fine, but that heavier items might incur some shipping charges.

I ordered 25 Sketch markers and 4 refills and they said that was fine for free shipping. I did put my CC info in when I ordered. Strange that they didn't ask you.

I think they are swamped with orders as they nicely said that they'd get to my order as soon as possible. I'm impatient too!! LOL~ Good thing I have an order of 15 coming from oozak.com on Friday or Saturday. :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 04:36 PM   #848  
Hardware Hotshot

Thank you MomofGirls and nottocreative (though you are very creative). I've combined all of the suggestions I've gotten and resolved to the fact that they're not going anywhere and I can order more later!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 05:07 PM   #849  
Rubber Obsessor

I think that C0, C#, C6 W0,W2, N2 are necessities.... I use them alot for shadowing and you can use them to darken a color by coloring over it, it makes for a real nice blend..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 05:32 PM   #850  
Hardware Hotshot

My order has been placed~YEAH!! I ordered only copics (along with the glitter pens but $125 of my order was copic sketches) and I was charged shipping so I've a call into them about that. Says 4 days to get to me, I hope it's a bit sooner. Now I sit and wait on pins and needles. DBF is going outta town for the wkend and I want to play while he's gone but I took so long trying to get the "perfect" beginning set.......URGH.........

Thanks again to ALL of you, your suggestions, tips, ideas, experience. I'm indebted to you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 05:37 PM   #851  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

My order has been placed~YEAH!! I ordered only copics (along with the glitter pens but $125 of my order was copic sketches) and I was charged shipping so I've a call into them about that. Says 4 days to get to me, I hope it's a bit sooner. Now I sit and wait on pins and needles. DBF is going outta town for the wkend and I want to play while he's gone but I took so long trying to get the "perfect" beginning set.......URGH.........

Thanks again to ALL of you, your suggestions, tips, ideas, experience. I'm indebted to you!
Congrats, and looking forward to see your ceations. If I can be of any help, just drop me a PM...

| Copic Certified Designer | ~ My Blog -CopicArt.com~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 05:40 PM   #852  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

My invoice showed shipping charges at first (including the automatic email you get), but then when it went into "Pending" status, it showed the $0, so check back later and it may be already taken care of...save the phone call!

I also figured out my credit card trouble was due to my browser settings not allowing Geotrust to show up, which processes the credit cards apparently (thank you, Babydal! I never would have gone back and checked that if I didn't know it worked for others!)...so I tried to email them and call about that, but no responses, so I placed the order again (exact same one but with cc info this time), I hope that doesn't completely throw them off!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 05:54 PM   #853  
Rubber Obsessor

There is a small print at Carpe Diem, were it mentions that the free shipping will be adjusted by sales representatives. So it will show at first, but then it will be corrected.

| Copic Certified Designer | ~ My Blog -CopicArt.com~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 05:54 PM   #854  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

What did you end up getting? I spent $100, with some Ciaos and some Prismacolor markers in there, just to have extra colors that I didn't need specific shades...here's what I got or already have:
E0000, E00, E02, E04, E11 (light skins and a highlight)
E25, E27 (dark skin)
E31, E33, E35 (fur, hair)
R02 (Guava)
R22, R27, R29, R89 (reds)
R59 (Pomegranate)
B00, B02, B04, B06 (blues)
BG10 (sky)
BG72 (Bayou)
YG03, YG93, YG95, YG97, YG99 (greens for foliage, and for Kiwi)
Y21 (saffron, hair) -- and I have Prismacolors in Cream and Eggshell if I want shading
YR21 (hair shading)
YR09 (Tangerine)
N2 (shadows)
V09 (just because it's pretty and I have a Prisma light purple)
Colorless blender

I already have some Prismacolor grays (cool 30%, 40%; warm 20%, 40%) so I got the darker ones (60% and 80% in each)
I also got regular greens (as opposed to the yellow greens) in the Prismas, along with ones to blend with what I already had (they don't have much of a selection at Michael's). I'll probably wish I had Copics in these colors instead, but I couldn't pass up $1.49 for now!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 07:19 PM   #855  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by gallcompView Post
Congrats, and looking forward to see your ceations. If I can be of any help, just drop me a PM...
Awww....that's sweet of you, thanks!!

I noticed that too about the shipping, I'm sure it'll all work out. I just expected it to change when I received my invoice via email.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 07:24 PM   #856  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

What did you end up getting? I spent $100, with some Ciaos and some Prismacolor markers in there, just to have extra colors that I didn't need specific shades...here's what I got or already have:
E0000, E00, E02, E04, E11 (light skins and a highlight)
E25, E27 (dark skin)
E31, E33, E35 (fur, hair)
R02 (Guava)
R22, R27, R29, R89 (reds)
R59 (Pomegranate)
B00, B02, B04, B06 (blues)
BG10 (sky)
BG72 (Bayou)
YG03, YG93, YG95, YG97, YG99 (greens for foliage, and for Kiwi)
Y21 (saffron, hair) -- and I have Prismacolors in Cream and Eggshell if I want shading
YR21 (hair shading)
YR09 (Tangerine)
N2 (shadows)
V09 (just because it's pretty and I have a Prisma light purple)
Colorless blender

I already have some Prismacolor grays (cool 30%, 40%; warm 20%, 40%) so I got the darker ones (60% and 80% in each)
I also got regular greens (as opposed to the yellow greens) in the Prismas, along with ones to blend with what I already had (they don't have much of a selection at Michael's). I'll probably wish I had Copics in these colors instead, but I couldn't pass up $1.49 for now!
I'm afraid to post it, hopefully I didn't totally bomb it. Specially after all my questions and time I put in to it!! I figure I'll be buying more as time goes on and these really should be enough to get me started!!! Right? Please say yes! Looks like I got some on your list too.

Copic Spica Glitter Pens -Glitter 12pc. Set = $22.20
G09-Sketch Veronese Green= $3.95
BG01-Sketch Aqua Blue= $3.95
B63-Sketch Light Hydrangea= $3.95
E00-Sketch Skin White= $3.95
E02-Sketch Fruit Pink= $3.95
E31-Sketch Brick Beige= $3.95
G02-Sketch Spectrum Green= $3.95
G21-Sketch Lime Green= $3.95
R29-Sketch Lipstick Red= $3.95
RV21-Sketch Light Pink= $3.95
RV34-Sketch Dark Pink= $3.95
Y08-Sketch Acid Yellow= $3.95
Y17-Sketch Golden Yellow= $3.95
YG03-Sketch Yellow Green= $3.95
YG95-Sketch Pale Olive= $3.95
YR02-Sketch Light Orange= $3.95
YR07-Sketch Cadmium Orange= $3.95
B69-Sketch Stratospheric Blue= $3.95
B21-Sketch Baby Blue= $3.95
BG10-Sketch Cool Shadow= $3.95
BG05-Sketch Holiday Blue= $3.95
E25-Sketch Caribe Cocoa= $3.95
E34-Sketch Orientale= $3.95
YG63-Sketch Pea Green= $3.95
BV02-Sketch Prune= $3.95
BG000-Sketch Pale Aqua= $3.95
C1-Sketch Cool Gray= $3.95
N3-Sketch Neutral Gray= $3.95
W1-Sketch Warm Gray= $3.95
0-Sketch Colorless Blender= $3.95
110-Sketch Special Black= $3.95
BV08-Sketch Blue Violet= $3.95
BG72-Sketch Ice Ocean= $3.95
Copic Spica Glitter Pens -Clear Glitter Pen = $1.85
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 07:48 PM   #857  
Matboard Maniac

Received 85 Likes on 34 Posts

Quote:

I feel like I need a gray from each section.........anybody agree or disagree with that? If you agree, which ones?(
Sorry if this is too little, too late, but I vote for a set of 3 from one gray group (either C or N). T is a cross btwn N and W, and W is great but not a true gray if you do not have any grays. I personally have Ns and am very happy with them (decided to get after pondering Marianne's blog as the most versatile choice) but I know many people love the Cs. If you get a marker from each set, you can't blend and IMO it it's less versatile in terms of what you can do. But just my opinion...

Cynthia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 08:18 PM   #858  
Hardware Hotshot

Thanks! I got one from 3 of the 4 gray groups to see how they work, what I like, etc. and I'll go from there..........so much to learn. HURRY here copics I've got a 3 day wkend........although I know they may not make it by Friday but a girl can hope.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 10:39 PM   #859  
Embossing Fanatic

I received my first order of Copic's from Carpe Diem today. I just ordered them on Sunday and wasn't expecting them so soon. I ordered 21 colors, a blender, the set of Atyou Spica's and the clear Atyou Spica too. I absolutely love them. I getting ready to order about 30 more and can't wait to get them. I played with them a little tonight using my Gina K cardstock and Memento ink and they way they color is amazing. I'm hooked!

:mrgreen:

Visit my blog

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 11:13 PM   #860  
Crimping Master

I received some really cute Sarah Kay images on the wish-rak thread. Asked for copic and they sent adirondack pitch black which is on the acceptable copic list. Never used this before but when coloring with my copic markers (and it wasn't very wet) the whole image bled like crazy. Totally ruined it and it's hard not to touch the black lines in Sarah Kay because they are throughout, like on the jeans. Am I doing something wrong?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 11:24 PM   #861  
Polyshrink Goddess

Sorry if you mentioned it before, but what cs are you using? I use both Memento (mainly) and Adirondack and never have this problem. I currently use Gina K. 'pure luxury' cs. Maybe try Neenah cs (works pretty well) or just heat set it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2009, 11:27 PM   #862  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-BoView Post
I totally agree about the whole M's thing. Ours here (about a half hour away from me) is really bad. They never have half the stuff that is popular in the U.S (available at M's). It's quite frusterating actually, but I just don't bother going in anymore. The good news is there is a new scrapbook store close to me now and she is very good about bringing in popular "new" stuff and if she doesn't carry something that you specifically want, she will special order in for you. Unfortunately, nothing available around here for Copics BUT, there is a store in Vancouver that carries them (close to my parents house too...bonus!) that does sell them... not a large selection I don't think, but some none-the-less. I still think ordering online will be the cheapest for me.

I just have to let you know that Opus Arts Store in Vancouver - the downtown store on Hastings and Cambie has all of the sketch markers in the copics. I have purchased -eekkk - a lot - like ???? 200 plus - but they were just great there - let me try out the colours in the store. You can also order online - but if you can actually see the colour in real life it is so much easier to decide on what colour to choose. The Granville Island Store - in a much nicer area of Vancouver does not have nearly as many copic colours - the downtown store is just fabulous - and I had no trouble in the area. If you need to know any other Vancouver area stores that carry copics - but in far lesser numbers of colours. CountryLane Crafts in Surrey carries quite a few Original Copics - depends on what they have when you get there - Scrapbook Warehouse on Oak Street has a selection of Original Copics - as does Clipper Street - scrapbook store. I really love mine!! It's been a learning curve and I am still learning -but CountryLane Crafts has held a couple of classes in copic colouring - and I have learned a lot from that - as well as faithfully reading Marianne's blog - and others!!

Good Luck! They have been worth it to me - but I love to colour!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2009, 07:34 AM   #863  
Pearl-ExPert

Sooo....I tried the GinaK paper!! (Thanks Lynni!) And what do I think??

I like it!! I was a die-hard PTI fan, and got used to blending on that, so when I first touched a marker down on the GinaK CS I was frustrated, and did not think it was going to go well. But by the time I got done with an image, and figured out how the ink was going to react, I decided I really like it. It is MUCH easier to blend and shade, and the colors stay a LOT lighter. I actually found that I was having to go with a shade darker than I would have to get the same colors on the PTI...I will have to test that theory side by side. But anyway....off to order some GinaK. Though I do have to say, I still prefer PTI for card bases....it's just me...I like the texture and feel of it, but if you preferred fancier things, you might prefer the GinaK...it's smoother.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2009, 07:49 AM   #864  
Mad Swapper

I use the Gina K. Pure Luxury 120lb. cs with Memento Tuxedo Black, and LOVE it. No smearing of the black ink at all. And the Copics don't bleed through to the back which makes it much easier to blend your colors. Because it doesnt' soak through the paper, it stays wet longer. It's awesome.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2009, 08:45 AM   #865  
Mad Swapper

Thanks for the info on the grays. With so many different grays to choose from it gets confusing. Why do we need so many gray anyway?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2009, 08:50 AM   #866  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjbappView Post
Sooo....I tried the GinaK paper!! (Thanks Lynni!) And what do I think??

I like it!! I was a die-hard PTI fan, and got used to blending on that, so when I first touched a marker down on the GinaK CS I was frustrated, and did not think it was going to go well. But by the time I got done with an image, and figured out how the ink was going to react, I decided I really like it. It is MUCH easier to blend and shade, and the colors stay a LOT lighter. I actually found that I was having to go with a shade darker than I would have to get the same colors on the PTI...I will have to test that theory side by side. But anyway....off to order some GinaK. Though I do have to say, I still prefer PTI for card bases....it's just me...I like the texture and feel of it, but if you preferred fancier things, you might prefer the GinaK...it's smoother.
You're very welcome and I'm so glad you like it. I had the same feeling when I switched from PTI to Gina K. cs. I really like the blend and it doesn't soak up as much ink from my marker. I'm using the rest of the PTI paper for my card bases as well, but I'll be using Gina K.'s 80lb (similar to SU! whisper white) once it runs out. I'm one of those who do prefer the smoother cs for the base. I can't say enough about Memento ink pad, it's just perfect to use with Copic markers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2009, 08:56 AM   #867  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inky PawsView Post
Thanks for the info on the grays. With so many different grays to choose from it gets confusing. Why do we need so many gray anyway?
It's really important to fine artists. Check this post:

http://ilikemarkers.blogspot.com/200...-in-grays.html

and this post:
http://ilikemarkers.blogspot.com/200...ith-grays
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2009, 09:27 AM   #868  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikemarkersView Post
It's really important to fine artists. Check this post:

http://ilikemarkers.blogspot.com/200...-in-grays.html

and this post:
http://ilikemarkers.blogspot.com/200...ith-grays.html
Thanks, very helpful. I have had trouble with my colors being too bright!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2009, 10:13 AM   #869  
Matboard Maniac

Default Want to trade?

Hi ladies.
I have been reading about people's cardstock preference. I just bought two packages of PTI card stock. I realize some people like PTI and some prefer Gina K. It sounds like there are benefits to both blending vs. vibrancy. Is there anyone out there who owns Gina K. but would like to play around with some PTI before buying?

I'm willing to do a "trade" of cardstock by sending some sheets (maybe 10 of my PTI) in trade for 10 sheets of Gina K. I'm VERY happy with the PTI. I would just love to see the differences and am not willing to commit to purchasing a whole pack of Gina K. and pay shipping.

I think it would only cost a minimum amount to ship a few sheets of CS.

Then we could play with both and it might help me (or you) decide if you want to invest in a different/additional type of CS. Please PM me if you are interested. I only have enough CS to really swap with one person. Just and idea I had.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2009, 12:40 PM   #870  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by furaView Post
Sorry if you mentioned it before, but what cs are you using? I use both Memento (mainly) and Adirondack and never have this problem. I currently use Gina K. 'pure luxury' cs. Maybe try Neenah cs (works pretty well) or just heat set it.
I'm in wish-rak and so the images were sent to me. It says she used GP 110 which is what I always use, so I don't know. Do you think if she didn't heat set it, it would do this. I've had the images at least one week before I began using them?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2009, 12:46 PM   #871  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by SusieQ4417View Post
I'm in wish-rak and so the images were sent to me. It says she used GP 110 which is what I always use, so I don't know. Do you think if she didn't heat set it, it would do this. I've had the images at least one week before I began using them?
Ooops...just went back and read that it wasn't Memento...but Adirondack. Not sure about that kind of ink. I have heard that the Nick Bantock (sp?) is ok, but maybe this person sent you another kind of Adirondack black thinking they are all the same??

Last edited by cjbapp; 02-11-2009 at 12:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2009, 01:41 PM   #872  
Inking Addict

Recently started buying Copic Ciao markers. Wow, I love the results with it. Now I am collecting as much inspiring blogs about copics on my own blog especially the ones with tutorials. I find it quite hard to work with the copics and I need a lot of practice! Keep up the good work everyone!

Linda:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2009, 02:14 PM   #873  
Kookie Creator

Today my son had his monthly infusion which means we sit at the hospital all day while he has antibodies pumped in him. Last night I stamped several images to color while I was waiting. I used Adirondack (spelling?) Ink and Brilliance ink. I stamped some on PTI and some on GA Pacific paper. I don't have a problem with either of these inks bleeding into my colors but on the PTI paper the markers seemed to bleed out of the lines a lot more than with the GP paper. The colors also seemed brighter on the GA Pacific paper. I thought I read on ilikemarkers that it's better for the ink to go all the way through the paper. Several times she stated that if the ink isn't going through the paper it's not wet enough. What I like about GP is that you don't have to use a lot of ink for it to penetrate. I feel like I'm using less ink and getting better results. I did learn something. I learned that if you soak the image with the blender pen before you color it it's gonna bleed like crazy. I saw where someone had mentioned doing that. I've had my markers about two months. I've tried numerous card stocks as well as inks. My favorite ink to use with them is the Brilliance but I have two reinker bottles of the Adirondack (spelling?) so I'm going to use them before I buy more. I won't buy any other card stock for coloring other than the GP. It's very reasonable and I achieve good results. I can buy more markers with the money I save off of card stock.

I also bought three of the Ciao markers just to try and I really like the way they feel in my hand. I have arthritis really bad and these markers seemed to fit better. I wish the colors were on the lid. That's the only thing that keeps me from stocking up on these. I might just say what the heck and go with it. I think 144 shades is plenty.

I also have better luck if I stamp the image the night before. If I don't have time to do that I will heat set my stamping.

I know it's frustrating trying to find the right combination of paper and ink. I've spent a LOT of money trying to get the perfect blend. IMO the blend that works best for me is GA Pacific paper and Brilliance ink. Once I use up all of my present stash that's the combination I'm sticking to with the Copics.

I love these markers more every time I use them. I tried to use my watercolor pencils today and it seemed like so much work. DH bought me a huge set of pencils for Christmas. IF I hadn't of left my sharpener at home I would have kept coloring with them. To me a good sharp point is a must with the pencils. I LOVE to color.

Anyhow, thanks to everyone that has contributed to this thread. It's truly been a learning experience.

OH...I'm liking the Copic glitter pens less and less every time I use them. I loved them the first few times but now they seem to cause the threads of the paper to ball up. I can't explain it. I seem to get a mess of wet sparkly stuff when I use them. I was looking forward to set B coming out. Now I'm not so sure.
Gail
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2009, 02:21 PM   #874  
Rubber Obsessor

I agree about GP paper and cardstock. but I was using Brillance with my copics until I found Palette Ink..It dries immediately and you can color right away and it was only $6. I use copics alot, and this ink is definately the best, I use Palette Noir Black Hybrid Ink pad...
Also, I have some nerve damage in my hands and I really like the sketch markers. they are a little bigger than the Ciao, and hold more ink...

Quote:

Originally Posted by new_GA_stamperView Post
Today my son had his monthly infusion which means we sit at the hospital all day while he has antibodies pumped in him. Last night I stamped several images to color while I was waiting. I used Adirondack (spelling?) Ink and Brilliance ink. I stamped some on PTI and some on GA Pacific paper. I don't have a problem with either of these inks bleeding into my colors but on the PTI paper the markers seemed to bleed out of the lines a lot more than with the GP paper. The colors also seemed brighter on the GA Pacific paper. I thought I read on ilikemarkers that it's better for the ink to go all the way through the paper. Several times she stated that if the ink isn't going through the paper it's not wet enough. What I like about GP is that you don't have to use a lot of ink for it to penetrate. I feel like I'm using less ink and getting better results. I did learn something. I learned that if you soak the image with the blender pen before you color it it's gonna bleed like crazy. I saw where someone had mentioned doing that. I've had my markers about two months. I've tried numerous card stocks as well as inks. My favorite ink to use with them is the Brilliance but I have two reinker bottles of the Adirondack (spelling?) so I'm going to use them before I buy more. I won't buy any other card stock for coloring other than the GP. It's very reasonable and I achieve good results. I can buy more markers with the money I save off of card stock.

I also bought three of the Ciao markers just to try and I really like the way they feel in my hand. I have arthritis really bad and these markers seemed to fit better. I wish the colors were on the lid. That's the only thing that keeps me from stocking up on these. I might just say what the heck and go with it. I think 144 shades is plenty.

I also have better luck if I stamp the image the night before. If I don't have time to do that I will heat set my stamping.

I know it's frustrating trying to find the right combination of paper and ink. I've spent a LOT of money trying to get the perfect blend. IMO the blend that works best for me is GA Pacific paper and Brilliance ink. Once I use up all of my present stash that's the combination I'm sticking to with the Copics.

I love these markers more every time I use them. I tried to use my watercolor pencils today and it seemed like so much work. DH bought me a huge set of pencils for Christmas. IF I hadn't of left my sharpener at home I would have kept coloring with them. To me a good sharp point is a must with the pencils. I LOVE to color.

Anyhow, thanks to everyone that has contributed to this thread. It's truly been a learning experience.

OH...I'm liking the Copic glitter pens less and less every time I use them. I loved them the first few times but now they seem to cause the threads of the paper to ball up. I can't explain it. I seem to get a mess of wet sparkly stuff when I use them. I was looking forward to set B coming out. Now I'm not so sure.
Gail
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2009, 02:32 PM   #875  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by SusieQ4417View Post
I use the Adirondack pitch black DYE ink with my GP paper and copics all the time and don't have any problems. I wonder if she used Adirondack pigment ink not knowing that you need the dye with copics? The only time I use pigment ink with copics is when I'm embossing with clear EP. That works well too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2009, 02:55 PM   #876  
Forum Fanatic

Here is an image I made last night...I haven't got my new Copics yet, but I HAD to try out some of these tips, so I worked with what I had plus Prismacolor markers and even some Sharpies for the brighter colors. The Sharpies & Prismas bleed (feather) a lot more than the Copics, I think...either that or I just laid down a LOT of ink, because all the grays bled outside of the lines. I used the blender pen to push it back in but there was still some visible color difference (and the paper even started to peel because I went over it so many times), so I finally shaded the whole thing with a cool gray. Mind you, this little image took me over an HOUR, maybe TWO HOURS JUST TO COLOR it! sheesh. It's better than what I have done before, though, with the tips (dipping the lighter colors into a darker one on a palette for blending, for example)
Any suggestions for improvement or practice will be well appreciated and taken in!

This was with GP white and Memento ink, which worked fine in this case...in a couple spots it did bleed out into the color a little but that could have been with the Sharpies or Prismas, I don't recall.

One thing to note: I did make extensive use of the smaller tip on the Prisma markers, so I think this would have been a lot harder to do with the brush tip on the Copics, for me at least...
Attached Thumbnails
Copic Chatter-bella-bikeababe-closeup.jpg  

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2009, 03:15 PM   #877  
Matboard Maniac

I'm buying some for 2.50 each....from what I'm reading this is a great price. I just got them from the buy/sell board.

So, are these a good price???:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2009, 04:17 PM   #878  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by new_GA_stamperView Post
Today my son had his monthly infusion which means we sit at the hospital all day while he has antibodies pumped in him. Last night I stamped several images to color while I was waiting. I used Adirondack (spelling?) Ink and Brilliance ink. I stamped some on PTI and some on GA Pacific paper. I don't have a problem with either of these inks bleeding into my colors but on the PTI paper the markers seemed to bleed out of the lines a lot more than with the GP paper. The colors also seemed brighter on the GA Pacific paper. I thought I read on ilikemarkers that it's better for the ink to go all the way through the paper.
The paperweight also has a hand in that. GP I believe is 110lb, PTI is 120lb (a bit too thick that's why it soaks up a lot of ink) and Neenah Classic Crest solar white is 70lb (works pretty well). The thicker the cs the more ink it will soak up. I do believe that you should stick with whatever cs you're most comfortable with and like. There's a lot of options and if you find a combo you like, I think you should stick to it. I color in circles and blend colors a lot, so I wasn't happy with most of the cs that I've used. I couldn't get it to blend the way I liked and needed practice (A LOT). I just tried over and over with the various cs I had. I'm most happy with Gina K.'s (my personal preference) because to me, even though it's 120lb, it blends well, it doesn't soak up a lot of my ink and never bleeds with Memento. I like using the 80lb smooth to airbrush and for my card base. Memento is awesome because I never have to heat set and can color straight away. I think that if you take the time to heat set the ink you want to use, you can make it work. Trial & error is what it will take and some patience.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2009, 04:22 PM   #879  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoolieView Post
Hi ladies.
I have been reading about people's cardstock preference. I just bought two packages of PTI card stock. I realize some people like PTI and some prefer Gina K. It sounds like there are benefits to both blending vs. vibrancy. Is there anyone out there who owns Gina K. but would like to play around with some PTI before buying?

I'm willing to do a "trade" of cardstock by sending some sheets (maybe 10 of my PTI) in trade for 10 sheets of Gina K. I'm VERY happy with the PTI. I would just love to see the differences and am not willing to commit to purchasing a whole pack of Gina K. and pay shipping.

I think it would only cost a minimum amount to ship a few sheets of CS.

Then we could play with both and it might help me (or you) decide if you want to invest in a different/additional type of CS. Please PM me if you are interested. I only have enough CS to really swap with one person. Just and idea I had.
Thanks all!
I had a taker!
Hopefully we'll both be able to decide which one we like better!
Jules
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2009, 04:42 PM   #880  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Envelopes

There is all this hype about the crucial paper for Copics; so it's a nice change of pace to say the heck with it and Copic on an envelope. I love the results, whether it's a quality white envy or a cheap text weight color envy. Colors may not behave the exact way you want, but, then, it's just the envelope, for Pete's sake! The vivid marker colors make a simple flower in the corner stand out so well. You can still blend. I did find out the hard way that you should slip some scrap paper into the envelope before you start, as the markers could be absorbed by the paper layer on the rear of the envelope. Airbrushing is nice for effect, even if there isn't a stamped image.
Reply With Quote Likes