Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-26-2008, 11:21 PM   #41  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdjkssssView Post
My older daughter was born on January 2. When she was born, I resolved to always have the Christmas tree down before her birthday so that her birthday photos wouldn't be full of Christmas stuff. And definitely no combined birthday/Christmas gifts.
Similarly, my birthday is December 9th and while I was growing up my family always waited until at least the 10th to put up all the holiday decorations.
I'm Fun Stampers Journey Coach #10224. Join now for only $50!

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2008, 03:56 AM   #42  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My b-day is early enough in Dec. that it would be pretty tacky to use Christmas cards and paper, or combine it with Christmas period. I'm glad for that. My dad's is the 20th, though. He was kid #3 of 5 and got lost in the shuffle - and would usually just get a Christmas gift that was supposed to cover his b-day, too. Now that he has his own family, we always make a point of having a separate celebration for his b-day - he's pretty quiet, but I know he really appreciates it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2008, 06:58 AM   #43  
Kookie Creator

Smile hi

I vote for separate gifts and cards.

When we were dating my now husband got me a long winter coat for my birthday & Christmas. I am a (Dec. 22 baby) I opened the box with my coat in it and loved it. We were to go to some of his relatives for something and I got out my old coat to wear. He wanted me to wear the new coat. I refused because it was a combined Christmas & Birthday gift and therefore I could not wear it until Christmas. He than told me if I would wear the coat he would go buy me another small gift for Christmas. He has never combined the two gifts again and that was 30 some years ago.

I do not like opening my birthday gifts and than have nothing for Christmas. I would not like a Christmas/birthday card. A winter theme is alright.

My daughter is Dec 4th, my mother in law was Dec 12, my son is Dec 17, I am Dec 22 and my sister in law is Dec 27. We all want sperate cards & gifts. The one exception was when my son wanted something really expensive. He waited until Christmas for his gift.

I even had sumer parties for us so we would NOT get Christmas & birthday gifts combined. My husband's side was NOT alright with that so it only lasted a couple of years.

Betty
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2008, 08:41 AM   #44  
Kookie Creator

Default christmas type birthday

Ok this is my thought and first hand experience. My brother is a Dec 24th baby. (totally a cool and not so cool birthday). This was my experience. He would get a present from someone and they would say its his birthday and christmas combined. But the other relatives with birthdays in the other months of the year got a present for there birthday and then for christmas. I totally understand money is tighter at that time of year, And it has been for me also but I made sure he got 2 presents one wrapped in bday paper and one in christmas paper. I would be all right with a snow man with a birthday hat on him and a cake or something. but keep it as much winter bday as you can.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2008, 08:49 AM   #45  
Kookie Creator

Default christmas babies

Quote:

Originally Posted by postcardgirlView Post
YES! It bugs me. Several years ago I made the point to my aunt by wrapping her birthday gift in Easter paper (bunnies and chicks and it said HAPPY EASTER! on it) -- no more presents in Christmas wrap! :mrgreen:

oh my reminds me of the time where I only had christmas paper. Had to wrap brothers present in the Sunday funnies. I refused to use xmas paper. back then i wasnt into stamping. would of stamped a grocery bag and said wala!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2008, 05:16 PM   #46  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My birthday is on the 10th and I always hated that my relatives would "combine" my gifts as a child! Isn't our birthdays just as important to us, as it is to someone who's is in June?? Send two different cards (birthday and Christmas) and it really shows that you are thinking of that special person on their special day! It will make them feel good!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2008, 05:25 PM   #47  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have a December birthday and I don't mind either. I absolutely love having my birthday in December!!!
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2008, 08:46 AM   #48  
Kookie Creator

I have a December birthday and I would rather get a birthday card that doesn't have a Christmas theme on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2008, 09:17 AM   #49  
Stazon Splitcoast

Happy birthday to all the Christmas Eve babies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2008, 10:13 AM   #50  
Pearl-ExPert

I second consuelos statement!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2008, 12:18 PM   #51  
Rubber Obsessor

My dh's bday is on the 21st, and he always talks about when he was young and he would get the "combo" gifts that were supposed to be for his birthday and Christmas together, but his siblings would get the same thing anyway, just for Christmas.

I guess those of you who have it on Christmas do have an extra strike against you in terms of getting lost in the shuffle.

I did propose to dh once that we change it to his "half" birthday and celebrate then. But he didn't want to do that although I have heard of people doing it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2008, 12:22 PM   #52  
Glitter Guru

Chickadeelodge, I have a December birthday, and in our house, we have "birthday week". Celebrate the special day for a week. I figure, life is short. Might as well celebrate all the good things. We also do "half birthdays". Since my birthday is in December, we also celebrate in June.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2008, 12:48 PM   #53  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 488 Likes on 307 Posts

As sister to a brother with a Dec 27 BD, mother to a son and a son-in law with birthdays on December 18 and two of my children have December wedding anniversaries---I vote for keeping them separate.....My december baby was never able to celebrate his birthday at school because we were always out for winter break and it was very difficult to have a Kidparty because families were traveling or tied with their own celebrations on his birthday.......Now that all my kids are grown, it doesn't seem quiet as important but I continue to make sure especially the birthdays are separate from Christmas. That said, I need to go make a birthday and an anniversary card before midnight.......

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2008, 04:15 PM   #54  
Rubber Obsessor

Please keep them seperate! As an 'almost Christmas' birthday girl, it feels like our birthdays aren't as important as everyone elses because they are lost in the seasonal madness. For example, in the UK it's difficult to go out for a meal at this time of year unless you want turkey, or buy (sorry!) a nice birthday card. I've joked in the past about being like the Queen and having 2 birthdays!

Just remember that everyone wants to feel they are special on their birthday, whether that involves seperate celebrations or a 'bigger' present is up to the recipient.

BTW Happy Birthday to all you December birthday girls!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2008, 04:18 PM   #55  
Insane Embellisher

I think it is a requirement in our family to have a December birthday. First wives, second wives, children, grandparents, son-in-law, mother-in-law, etc. We all want BIRTHDAYs to be birthdays. Although, I have to admit that I once combined my son-in-law with Christmas (Dec. 23). Never again.
Happy Birthday to December guys and gals!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2008, 05:11 PM   #56  
Pearl-ExPert

My birthday is mid-December and I don't mind either way. I just like getting a gift.

My Mom's birthday is Christmas Day. For years she would freak if someone wished her a Merry Christmas before wishing her a happy birthday - even someone who wouldn't know it was her birthday. She'd correct people on the phone etc. so a combo gift or Christmas themed birthday stuff was a big no-no. She claims she no longer minds it but I don't really believe her.

If you are not sure if a person minds or not I'd stick with a traditional birthday card. I can see why some people do mind it (the Easter wrap was a great example) I'm just not one of the people who cares.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2008, 06:45 PM   #57  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

My birthday is the 27th and my parents always made sure it was totally seperate from the CHRISTmas holiday. I like to receive birthday cards that are 100% birthday. I remember when my husband and I first got married my MIL would always say, that present with the snowmen on it under the tree is your birthday present. Well after a few years of that one CHRISTmas I told her the same thing and it never happen again! Her birthday was in August.

Patti
Fan Club Member RAK Group Member
Chemo Angel, Stampin Up Demonstrator
Scrapbook goal: April 7/10 MAY /5 YTD 32
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2008, 10:52 AM   #58  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by austamperView Post
My birthday is on the 18th and honestly, it doesn't bother me. I absolutetly love Christmas and often have had Christmas themed b'day cakes and such. I don't mind the combo gifts either depending on what it is like once year I got a bed and mattress set for b'day/Christmas and it was WELL worth a combo gift.

Sometimes though I do feel that I get lost in the shuffle, but my parents are real good about trying to seperate it all.
I'm the 18th too! I'm just glad when people remember. One week before xmas people are usually running around (esp. family we don't see all that often). I find I get a lot of calls on my birthday or ecards and then folks hand me a card when we see each other at christmas. That's fine with me!

Although this year, my father (we're unfortunately not very close any more since he re-married and moved away) only wrote a "Happy Birthday too!" into my christmas card and that way kind of annoying. But, what are you gonna do? My DH and kids more than make up for it by spoiling me silly!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2008, 11:46 AM   #59  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My birthday is a whole month before Christmas and I always got the dreaded combined birthday/christmas present when I was a kid from everyone. I always felt cheated because my brother and sister always got two presents and I only got one. Now, it doesn't bother me so much. I'm old enough now that I don't want anymore birthdays!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2008, 12:25 PM   #60  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wow thanks for this thread - I don't have this problem but I know IF I had ever combined a present for anyone I would have felt guilty if I didn't spend the same amount for birthday + Christmas that I did for everyone else.

I had no idea that people actually tried to get away with this sort of giving. I honestly thought that people who got agitated about it were just being a bit cranky. Thanks for letting me know...

Now, if anyone wants to talk about birthdays in Lent and giving up birthday cakes etc. I can help you.:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2008, 03:19 PM   #61  
Hardware Hotshot

Thanks for all your opinions, stampers. Because of your numerous comments, I made sure all my December cards had absolutely nothing to do with Christmas. Some of them were wintery but that's about the extent of it.

Hope you all are having a wonderful Christmas.

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2008, 04:19 PM   #62  
Kookie Creator

I am a New Year's Eve baby and always hated the gift and card for both occasions in one. I heard it all my life. "This is your Christmas and Birthday present". My parents never made a point of making sure my day was special and it really bothered me and still does to this day; sad to say.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2008, 04:37 PM   #63  
Pearl-ExPert

My youngest grandson was born on the 23rd. of December and we always make sure he receives a birthday card and present wrapped in birthday paper. Gotta make his birthday special.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2008, 05:38 PM   #64  
Die Cut Diva

I don't have a Dec birthday, but my #3 does. Dec 29. She'll be 3 on Monday. In the past it wasn't a big deal cause she didn't get it. This year she totally does. When asked and if it was an issue, I would prefer she receives a birthday gift over a Christmas gift, wrapped in birthday paper.

I was doing great this year. Had some Santa gifts and quite a few birthday gifts for her. Opening gifts this morning from Santa and her pile was quite a bit smaller than her siblings! Opps! Severe error on Santa's part, espececially when there are great gifts in the garage! Thankfully she was easily distracted.

Santa better be on his game next year though!

My blog
My SU! website
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2008, 07:39 PM   #65  
Matboard Maniac

My birthday is the day after Christmas and I feel that if you can't get me a "birthday" card, then please don't do anything. I want my birthday to be special not an afterthought. And I've had to deal with the gifts that are combined birthday and christmas gifts from my grandma, while everyone else opened exactly the same gift. Then on their birthdays they get another gift!
Reply With Quote Likes