Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-29-2005, 04:43 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creating Cards with non-SU! stamps...HARD!!

Well, I've come to the realization that I competely stink!
I have never posted a card because I know I've Borrowed someones color combo and anothers layout and anothers embellishment ideas and anothers techniques and so on...
I can't remember/haven't kept track of who's is who's and even so, what if I have a memory of something that I've seen but I think it's my own idea and then don't give proper credit?

It's too scary to contemplate "copying" someone else and not knowing who it was or if I had.

Anyway...

I got some housemouse stamps so I could maybe post a few cards that I could actually say, "I did this, what do you think?" besides the fact that I love them they are so darn cute. ( I know there are some housemouse cards posted but not many)

So..I colored them in, they are totally gorgeous, but now I have a very prettily colored in image and I can't think of ANYTHING to do with it! I can't find one SU! set that I think compliments my hm stamps. I have all of the ones where the mice are wearing makeup (too cute) and thought maybe a lipstick stamp or blusher or something makeuppy to do a BG with. I only have this years catty so I don't know if there is an SU! set that would work, I know "Girlfriends " has that little one though.

Anyway...

Is it scary to post cards?
If I posted a card and just said "inspired from SCS" would the person/persons that I was inspired by post both of our cards side by side and say "Look at this! She's dirt and crumbs!! Lets ban her from SCS!! Grab a pitchfork!!" ?
Do ANY of you use hm stamps?
Does anybody know of an SU! set that has makeuppy stuff in it?

And lastly...do you hate me for this long post?

Missing the chromosone for original thought ( and the one you need to read a map)
Kristen
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 04:51 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Just step away from the stamps and breathe!

Okay, now that you are breathing. Take it slow and easy!

Your cracking me up! :lol: Your post is too funny! I loved it. I just posted for the first time today for the very reasons you listed.

I wish I could come up with some clever words for your stamps. I LOVE those House Mouse Stamps too. But I just refuse to buy them for that price at Hobby Lobby. I bought favorite friends cause it was just about as cute as House Mouse!

I say JUST go for it!
Then PM me so I can look at your beautiful work!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 05:01 PM   #3  
Compulsive Stamper

I love the House Mouse stamps! I just made a card last night for a friend who is having knee surgery. I used the stamp with the aspirin bottle and the mouse with the ice on his head. Colored those and stamped "ouch" on a round tag. The cardstock and ink was SU, though. I also just made one with the mice with umbrellas and the one mouse catching raindrops in his mouth. I stamped the "have a mice day" below it. I wait for the 50% off sales at Hobby Lobby.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 05:05 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I haven't seen the stamps you are talking about but here is what I suggest:

Cut your beautifully colored image into a square or a rectangle. Mat with a color CS that compliments your 'art'.

Attach to complementary color quarter sheet of CS.

Tie on some ribbon

Add a greeting (if you have one)

Scan that baby and post it here!

We wanna see!

If you see a card in the gallery that inspires you, give credit.

If you choose the color scheme that works with your stamped image, you are not copying - you are creating!

D.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 05:07 PM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Post away! I don't post often because I just haven't taken the time, but I love to look at all the samples. This is a great place to get inspiration, and I don't think there is a person out there who hasn't gotten some of their ideas at least partially from someone else. That's the beauty of stamping, and of SCS! Good luck, I'm looking forward to seeing your creations!

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." ~ Scott Adams
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 05:14 PM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Default Re: Creating Cards with non-SU! stamps...HARD!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittenkisses
If I posted a card and just said "inspired from SCS" would the person/persons that I was inspired by post both of our cards side by side and say "Look at this! She's dirt and crumbs!! Lets ban her from SCS!! Grab a pitchfork!!" ?
Not at all. The feedback can be very inspiring.

There are no original ideas so no, I don't think anyone would be offended. I think it's impossible to look at anything by anyone else and NOT want to use some element of it, be it color, composition, embellishment, etc.

I don't have any HM stamps, but I have used plenty of stamps from other companies for my cards. I know some people (esp demos) feel brand loyalty, but if you can't find what you want/need from one company and another has it, don't feel you have to deny yourself. I have a train, antique auto, old truck, wolves, Eiffel tower and many other stamps because I either didn't like what SU was currently offering, OR SU no longer offered these sets. My most recent purchase was a trio of cat stamps from Stamps By Judith -- I don't like the ones in the current SU catty and Judith just came out with some I REALLY like. So really, don't feel you have to limit your creativity by buying solely from one company.

Sets with makeup...the only one I know of is "Girlfriends," but it's not an individual item, but a stamp that has several items on it (lipstick, perfume, brush, sunglasses). Can't remember if there are any retired sets that fit the bill.

No, we do not hate you. Whyever would you think such a thing?

Hope to see some of your creations posted soon!

Heather

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 05:40 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am speaking for myself, but I love Housemouse stamps and would love to see your work. I have a bunch that I got from ebay but have only colored 2. I will finish the last one I did and post it. As for copying, I actually saw a card the other day that was almost a duplicate of one that I posted a few weeks ago. I almost pm'd the person to ? why I didn't get any credit. But then I thought, what if they came up with the idea on their own. With all the people on this site, there's bound to be a few legitimate duplicates. And I agree with WordTrix & lisastamper that we all get lots of ideas from looking at the creations on this site. Now when I sit down to work on a card, I like to think that it is all my own, but in reality, I'm sure it's a little of everyone's that I have looked at.
In saying all that, really I'm saying

POST POST POST...WE WANT TO SEE IT!!!!!! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 05:44 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

PS That new Cool Cat set has a little perfume bottle in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 06:05 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

POST THEM POST THEM POST THEM!!!!
The only way someone will be upset is if you COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY CASE their card and not give them credit. But saying inspired by....... for a card that is partially copied is fine. If you are still scared read what other people are posting with their cards and how the are wording their "Credits"
NOW GET BUSY POSTING!!!
Brenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 06:15 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

kitten, this is kat. I just want to tell you one thing to ease your mind. Whichever artist you admire... from one of the wonderful talents here on SCS to Rembrandt or Picaso, they all begin by studying the art of another. The great Masters even traced their teachers sketches to learn the strokes and to train the mind. Never underestimate the power of copying and how every artist you admire and respect (through your copying) will eventually interweave themselves into your own pieces of art over time. As others have said here, every piece comes from somewhere else. So stop worrying and get down to having fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 06:15 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Kristen,

It SHOULDN'T be scary!

Including "Cased from a fellow SCSer" is FINE! Especially, if you don't remember who exactly or what exactly inspired you to make what you did!

I saw a card posted that I thought was a CASE of mine, but the artist posted that she learned it at her upline's meeting! So, considering how VERY similar it was to my creation, I would GUESS that her upline CASEd it from the one I did and taught her downline? Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe the upline CASEd it from someone else who CASEd it from me. Who knows! But, it's great that something I did inspired someone to teach it to someone else and so on and so on!

This means someone loved it muchly and this = flattering!

(And, to be frank, I got the general idea from elsewhere, and gave it my own personal touch, so I can't claim total originality for it either!)

Stamping etiquette indicates that it is "appreciated", particularly if you "directly" CASE someone else's creation and post it, that you credit the original artist, if known. That is all. It's not a rule, just a courtesy stampers/artists extend to each other.

Don't sweat it, post your creations. I'm sure we'll ALL enjoy seeing what fun you've had no matter WHAT stamps you're using!

I personally do not own a single HM stamp, but I tell ya', they are ADORABLE and always catch my eye because they're so dang cute!

My cousin, who is also an SU! demo'r, is an avid COLLECTOR of the HM and I'd bet she owns every single one of 'em! They are too charming to resist!

So stamp away, have fun, upload your creations! May the rubber be with you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 06:19 PM   #12  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

I'm on several groups and often see, "Inspired by something on SCS".... I guess that's a good way to CYA.

Now personally, I think if you didn't DELIBERATELY copy something EXACTLY, you don't need to give credit. After all, YOU made the card, it's YOUR card.

I look at so many cards, I could easily copy one in many details without realizing it. When I do CASE, it's usually a type of layout. I often use elements of a card, but with a different stamp set, or colors or embellishments.

Some people on this board have gotten their knickers in a knot when they thought their card was copied and not cited. And they have been told, if you post in a public place, what do you expect? (Take it as a compliment!) Or put your own watermark across a card if you consider it a work of art.

So I am not going to worry about it for myself.

As I said, if I love a card enough to DELIBERATELY case it completely, I will certainly say so. Most of the time, I don't, so don't bother saying anything.

Good luck, and post away! House Mouse or SU!, who cares! LOL

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 06:21 PM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Personally I love house mouse! Please post: I have a house mouse Christmas stamp (okay, it was 70% off) and could use some good ideas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 06:41 PM   #14  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Anyway...

Kristen
YES...without a doubt!!

Audrey
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 07:26 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

What an awesome thread for those of us who have yet to post our creations here on SCS! I started stamping in February of 2004. At the time, I was on 2Peas and I got SO much help from the very patient gals on the Stamping Board there. I started posting my creations there. I used a variety of stamps at first - Hero Arts, misc stamps I got from craft stores, Purple Onion Designs' unmounted, Eat Cake Graphics unmounted, and then as I got into SU, more and more SU.

I posted my first card w/ SU stamps on it about a year ago - I've come a long ways, thanks to my demo/now-upline's workshops and help, and even more so from everyone here and the awesome Gallery! The reason why I don't post my cards here is that most are CASE's of the cards here. Yeah, I change some things around sometimes, but sometimes I don't, and don't always know the original poster.

I haven't been posting many of my creations on 2Peas (too busy getting inspired here on SCS!), but if anyone is interested, you can look at my Gallery over on 2Peas:

http://www.twopeasinabucket.com/user..._id=56498&pg=1

If you look through all the items I posted, you'll finally get to my scrapbook pages! I *agonized* over every little thing on those pages, adn that's one reason why I like making cards more than SB pages - but I do feel like I'm neglecting my scrapbooks!!

Sorry this is so long!

Susan (my name on 2Peas is Mootsie)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 07:30 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

I agree with it being scray to post cards. I have only been here for about a month. I get ideas from all sorts of cards and corporate them into 1 card. I don't write down the name of each person. To be honest I don't have time for that. But if i ever post anything I will be sure to say "inspired by SCS" b/c most likely it was.
Also some are ideas from workshops that I have been to but didn't see here but maybe my upline got it from here or something like that.
Sometimes I use the layout but not the stamp set.
I am scared of hurting someone's feelings. Some people who post their cards are possessive. Which is crazy! You shouldn't post if you are.
I love this site to get ideas. I love that y'all share your ideas and thoughts. When you are starting out and learning sometimes you are insecure to come up with your own ideas. I am glad my uplne told me about SCS.
Thank you all!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 07:50 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

I say, GO for it! I posted my very first upload today, and then because I had finally learned to save with .jpeg after the name, I did 2 more. I haven't gotten but 3 total comments on my cards, but I gotta say I was proud to be able to post them anyway. It took me a loooong time to be brave enough to do it, and it is neat to see your own creations on the computer screen!!
Best of luck with your cards!

Sue
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 07:58 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

I"m so glad you brought up this thread! I just uploaded some cards last night and it WAS scary! I feel like my designs are so simple compared to some of the great stuff I see in the gallery. I did want a place to be able to store my creations so I have a copy and now I can share with friends if I want to. I, too, get my inspiration from many places and sometimes what I make is an idea from several different cards so it's hard to give credit. My purse and wallet "idea" came directly from a SCSer but our designs are completely different (hers was much better and fancier). I feel like I overcame the hurdle by "just doing it". So far nobody has said "that's really crappy, I don't know why you're sharing" or "Gee, I would've used different colors" or "why don't you use SU products exclusively?". The whole purpose of the gallery is to share and get inspired and now I"ve done both!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 08:12 PM   #19  
Mad Swapper

Welcome, Kristen! Please share all of your creations! We'd love to see them!

I'm also in Boise. Nice to "meet" you!

Kim R.
I'm Fun Stampers Journey Coach #10224. Join now for only $50!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2005, 06:21 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

Default hm cards

Thankyou all for your sooper comments and encouragement!!
After I read what everyone said, it was SO weird!!
I felt like, what am I thinking, I can make a card, I know I can!

And...I made 3 sooper cute cards with my hm images, OMGoodness, they rock!!

I still can't BELIEVE what a difference your comments made in how I felt about myself AND my cards!

I'm telling you...it was SO weird!

I don't know if I can post them though, my stomach kind of dives when I think about it.

Hi, Kim, I'm up on the bench by the airport, where are you?

Thankyou again SCSers, you've made a difference for me!!

Luv u,
Kristen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2005, 06:55 AM   #21  
Kookie Creator

Default What a great topic

I was so glad to see your post. I have been a member for a year and haven't posted one card! I think about it, then I look in the gallery and think, I'm not good enough! It is so silly. You've inspired me. When I get home from work, I AM going to upload something.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2005, 07:26 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

[quote="Soozie4Him"]...
I haven't been posting many of my creations on 2Peas (too busy getting inspired here on SCS!), but if anyone is interested, you can look at my Gallery over on 2Peas"

Hey! You have nine pages of great cards over on 2Peas :shock: - please, post at least the Petal Prints ones on SCS, they are delightful.

Golly, I wasn't nervous about posting cards here - this is about the most supportive environment I've ever seen and everybody is welcome.

Nina T.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2005, 07:37 AM   #23  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Well, I've come to the realization that I competely stink!
I have never posted a card because I know I've Borrowed someones color combo and anothers layout and anothers embellishment ideas and anothers techniques and so on...
I can't remember/haven't kept track of who's is who's and even so, what if I have a memory of something that I've seen but I think it's my own idea and then don't give proper credit?

It's too scary to contemplate "copying" someone else and not knowing who it was or if I had.

Anyway...

I got some housemouse stamps so I could maybe post a few cards that I could actually say, "I did this, what do you think?" besides the fact that I love them they are so darn cute. ( I know there are some housemouse cards posted but not many)

So..I colored them in, they are totally gorgeous, but now I have a very prettily colored in image and I can't think of ANYTHING to do with it! I can't find one SU! set that I think compliments my hm stamps. I have all of the ones where the mice are wearing makeup (too cute) and thought maybe a lipstick stamp or blusher or something makeuppy to do a BG with. I only have this years catty so I don't know if there is an SU! set that would work, I know "Girlfriends " has that little one though.

Anyway...

Missing the chromosone for original thought ( and the one you need to read a map)
Kristen
You poor thing! You know, all this stuff about "CASE'ing gone wild" has gotten a little out of control..

When I was starting out as a stamper, all I could do was CASE, because that was what is intended about stamping..

If I could not take my demo's ideas and use them, I would never have gotten started...

finally, I have been able to make some of my own creations... but I am sure that because I have studied so much in magazines, SU! site, here at SCS, that most of them have been inspired by other amazing creations, and I could never say, even in my most "original" stuff, that I came up with it completely by myself. Besides, the stamps themselves are not our original work anyway! They are copyrighted material, and then we use the already original artwork and make things creatively with it.

I have seen two people make the exact same card with no knowledge of the other doing it. It HAS happened...

I think recently the gripe has been, taking a photo of ones work, and using the EXACT home photo claiming it was their own actual work and using it to make a profit. Which is really wrong.

I have seen some people CASE'ing others cards EXACTLY then submitting them for drawings to win a prize or publicly on other sites to say it was their own original design.

Or taking personal items such as scrapbook pages of someones home and posting it on their own site without asking permission. It's different when the original owner submits it somewhere of their own free will, and feels "safe" on the site they have displayed it. But when someone takes it from one site and puts it on their site, (even giving the original owner credit) but not asking permission to do so, is alarming and wrong. I would hate for pictures of my kids to end up somewhere out on the web in inappropriate places, or even places I don't approve of regardless.

But for the rest of us stampers, that what this place is for, and we all submit cards knowing that someone will love it, learn from it, CASE it, be inspired by it, and grow in their own stamping abilities.

To CASE, is actually the highest compliment. To forget to give credit wherein you have been inspired by anothers card, well, its minor....so what.... we all need to put our pride in our back pockets, because I am sure we have all CASE'd, been inspired somewhere, or whatever....

To be stressed out stamping, well that just sucks..

We all have to start somewhere! I am thankful for my upline Twila Mooneyham, yeah, given ya credit here! for being such a wonderful demo to me... if it weren't her positive attitude, I would never have found something that I absolutely love and made so many people happy with my newfound talents...

and honestly, I really had to be "handheld" by her in the beginning, what, 4 years ago? to really get off the ground and be able to get a handle on color combos, etc.

SCS has helped my come a long way... thank you SCS!

So good luck to you, and so what if you post something non SU! Life has bigger things to worry about...

Here, we just need to have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2005, 07:55 AM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You will get the hang of it eventually. Look at galleries where "sets" are not used. I am not fond of "matchy-matchy poo-poo" (Oprah's term for things that come in sets) because you do not have to be as creative. When you buy fabrics all made to match you are certain to get a matched outcome and this is true with stamps. On the other hand, I find the really wonderful examples of creativity to come from people who can take bits and pieces from all sorts of sources and create something to be really unique art in the end!! Combining brands of stamps and inks, to be sure, is a challenge, but in the end you know it is really your creation!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2005, 08:27 AM   #25  
Gabfest Goddess

Dont be afraid to post... all cards are beautiful in some way, heck, I jumped right in when I joined a couple weeks ago and uploaded cards before I even looked at too many. I just got excited at finding this site and what all was going on here. I agree with the person that said too big of deal is made about CASEing cards... we are all here to share and if we didnt want to, we wouldnt post cards. I love seeing all the different cards and I am beginning to pick out and know who does what. Some of you have very distinctive styles. I like to take someone's card and do one like it but make it my own, sometimes I dont have the same stamps but that is all you are using is the idea,, think of it like the Sketch Challenge. I am always amazed at the different cards we do for our swap in our STamper's Six and now even more so coming here and looking at cards.
It is really cool to share.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2005, 10:25 AM   #26  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default card posting

Just do it! Everyone has there own creative style,
I post here and in my Yahoo groups and on my picturetrail site.

I want others to look at my creations. And if I inspire someone......GREAT! But if not that fine too!

Ya gotta jump in with both feet sometimes.

Most of us are here to share our ideas....I post non SU cards on here as well....As a TAC demo, I have shared some of my creations that I've made using there stamps and paper and ink.

Yes I own about 10 sets of SU stamps and I have paper.

Well thanks for reading my post......Hope you have a Wonderful Day!
Attached Thumbnails
Creating Cards with non-SU! stamps...HARD!!-lable-happy-birthday-card.jpg  

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2005, 11:17 AM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Kitten Kisses, I found your gallery here and I am so glad you decided to post your cards. They are all FABULOUS! Thanks for sharing with us.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2005, 12:12 PM   #28  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
luvstochatchatCHAT

Received 1,411 Likes on 707 Posts

I was just in your gallery this morning!!! How funny to see your post now! I have the some of the same issue going on today. I just can't seem to think of anything original....I've seen so many inspiring things here and in the many mags I get. I so wish I could be creative and think something up on my own! Anyhoo....post away! I just did five cards for a swap and I'm refreshed again!

Someone said about being stressed over stamping stinks! Yeah it sure does, but I'm slowly crawling out of it today!!!!

See ya'!

BTW...your little girl is beautiful! Gorgeous hair and adorable smile!
Old 04-19-2005, 12:18 PM   #29  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
luvstochatchatCHAT

Received 1,411 Likes on 707 Posts

Um....your cards are awesome! I just went to check and see if your's was indeed the gallery I was ooo and ahhhhing in this morning! Sure enough! Woohooo, they are VERY inspiring, I love the color blocking!
Old 04-19-2005, 12:19 PM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

Default gorgeous little girl

Well, thank you so much, I think she's a heartbreaker in the making. I have 4 more and I will post their pics too, Kendle is a treasure to me, before I was pregnant with her (she's #5) I prayed that if I could have another little girl I would always to try and choose the right, so here she is!!!
Thanks for the nice comments on the cards, I was surprised too when I saw this old post on the front page!

Thanks again,
Kristen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2005, 12:30 PM   #31  
Crimping Master

silly me, I'm obviously brain dead today.

Last edited by kmjenkyns; 04-19-2005 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: stupidity
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2005, 12:46 PM   #32  
Kookie Creator

Kristen,

I just stumbled across this post after viewing a few pages of today's additions. Your work is incredible! I haven't visited your gallery yet, but I loved the cards I saw! I tried to open them to read the details, but the gallery's very slow, so I wasn't able to.
I came back here to see if anyone else was having this problem, and I started reading this thread, and was shocked to read that kittenkisses was aprehensive about posting her creations! I just love what I saw and want to get to your gallery later.
I've never contributed anything to the gallery - yet - but I'm very encouraged.
I look forward to seeing more of your work!
SCS #7660

(Ooops! Gotta fix that avatar - scary!!!)
Reply With Quote Likes