Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-15-2008, 02:57 PM   #161  
Forum Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by nbwccView Post
Sure it is nice when a smaller company offers free shipping over $50, but since you spent so much, instead of giving free shipping, SU! does give you even more value in FREE & EXCLUSIVE PRODUCTS!
Now I think I'm just confusing myself, but I have an honest question: is it really 'free' product? To my way of thinking, 'no such thing as a free lunch' applies to SU too.

Truth be told, I'm a fairly straightforward shopper and find SU's benefits kind of confusing. Myself, I just would like to order what I want to order, and pay for what I order, instead of figuring out a logic puzzle of "Oh, I'll order these things and then the other things I want to order will be covered by the hostess benefit thingy, and then because I ordered this much I also get to pick one of the things off the level blah list which I don't really care for, but I get it for free right?" I'm really happy for folks who understand and love the hostess benefits system have found something that works for them; so far it doesn't seem to be for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2008, 04:29 PM   #162  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappinanglerView Post
I agree. I am not sure how my MK business became the topic of great discussion and scrutiny. After this, I will re-think posting on certain threads. I wish I had not gotten involved. It's really a shame b/c I really LOVE this place (SCS). While i don't like the price of shipping, I am sure I will continue to pay it to support my habit! LOL! But I will stick to my "free shipping every once in a while would be nice" story!

Let's just all stamp and get along!! Cheers, it's 5 o'clock somewhere, right? :mrgreen:
If it makes you feel better, I love SCS too, you just have to pick your fights here. Anytime you get women together there is bound to be some emotion invloved. LOL! I love SU and MK and will continue to support both because they have products that I want. I'm totally with you on the"free shipping would be nice" thing. LOL! Maybe one day....
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2008, 04:39 PM   #163  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrina+2View Post
If it makes you feel better, I love SCS too, you just have to pick your fights here. Anytime you get women together there is bound to be some emotion invloved. LOL! I love SU and MK and will continue to support both because they have products that I want. I'm totally with you on the"free shipping would be nice" thing. LOL! Maybe one day....
I really was not trying to fight with anyone, I was merely trying present all of the facts - the statement 50% profit sounds bad w/o any explanation.

Besides, I am not sure how my profit was relevant at ALL to this post!
Ok, I am done with this post...Why don't we all create a card and post it?

Off to stamp!

Check out my Blog! -
The Fishy-Scrapper's Chronicles
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2008, 04:58 PM   #164  
Matboard Maniac

I agree also. My co-worker and I ordered enough for a book party and we were shocked to see the shipping...$80 order, shipping $8 and tax another 5.43 so my $80 order was $93 - and I live 15 minutes from Stampin Up! I'd be glad to pick up our stamp group orders each month if we could eliminate the shipping. And then if we have a workshop there's an additional fee for supplies...is that normal? (Our demo does get it to us quickly though)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2008, 05:14 PM   #165  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by barb's boysView Post
I agree also. My co-worker and I ordered enough for a book party and we were shocked to see the shipping...$80 order, shipping $8 and tax another 5.43 so my $80 order was $93 - and I live 15 minutes from Stampin Up! I'd be glad to pick up our stamp group orders each month if we could eliminate the shipping. And then if we have a workshop there's an additional fee for supplies...is that normal? (Our demo does get it to us quickly though)
I pay $10 a month for the SU workshop I attend. I think it is totally worth it. We make 3 cards or 2 cards and a project, eat food, and learn a new technique.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2008, 06:25 PM   #166  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by barb's boysView Post
Fees at workshops are entirely up to each demo, and also vary according to what kind of projects are created.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2008, 06:47 PM   #167  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrampShopperView Post
I always try to place just one or two orders a year. That way the order total is big so I get the hostess benefits. My order for next week is going to be $400 so i qualify for $45 in free stuff plus 2 hostess sets. I see the $45 free money as my shipping discount.
..and, SU doesn't make you pay shipping charges on hostess items, just your state tax! I love that!
"If only there were some kind of giant world wide river of information, available at any time to anyone in the world who has the right equipment, that is relatively easy to use, and available at a nominal expense.......but where would we get such a thing?" Brian Nelson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2008, 07:23 PM   #168  

Quite a few months ago now I was big into PTI - dont get me wrong, I absolutely love their products - but found myself often just wanting a stamp set or a couple of little things and my order came to around $20-30 - then of course the psychology of free shipping came into play and I 'had' to bump it up to $50 to get the free shipping instead of paying for shipping...some months on I realised I had a shelf full of beautiful products that have never been used...and probably wont be...and all I can think is what products I could have purchased and actually made use of on a daily basis for each $20 or so I bumped my order up with each time to get the 'free' shipping...doh!!!

Last edited by willsygirl; 09-15-2008 at 07:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2008, 07:30 PM   #169  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by annie21211View Post
I must admit that I love PTI's free shipping with a $50 order and I don't pay sales tax either.
Just wanted to point out that, legally, we are all supposed to itemize these online orders that do not collect sales tax and pay them ourselves every year on our income taxes...
The companies that are not collecting taxes are probably not following the law, from what I've heard from retailers, at least in our state...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2008, 07:50 PM   #170  
Polyshrink Goddess

Didn't there used to be moderators on here that would tell us to be nice? I buy a lot of stamps and papers and stuff from just about everyone. As far as a profit goes those darn nugget tins last year were a huge money maker for a lot of people. I ordered them right from specialty bottle and still do and even with shipping I was paying less and got more tins for my money. You just have to be wise and do your research and not be paying twice for shipping, once for the company they ordered it from and then from them
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2008, 08:17 PM   #171  
Polyshrink Goddess

Okay, I FINALLY made it to the end of this crabby thread. I have a question, a sincere question >>:
When I first started stamping (which, to be fair was only a few months ago), I thought "What? Are they nuts? $30 for a stamp set?" Until I went shopping in the LSS, and even online. Here's where I am confused: after shopping A LOT, and I do mean A LOT online and in the brick-and-mortar stores, I absolutely cannot find wood mounted stamps cheaper than that. I can easily pay $7-13 per stamp (even online), so why is it that people say SU! is overpriced?
Now, if you are comparing SU! to acrylics, that's not even a valid comparison, is it? Even this novice can see that they are not the same (rubber and acrylic or photopolymers). And believe me, that is not a bash of acrylics, I have lots 'o CD cases filled with those, too. I just mean that generally, you like what you like, so if it's rubber you like, where on earth are you shopping to beat SU!'s prices (perhaps so I can shop there, too? :-D )
I hesitate to post this here, I almost wonder if I shold start over.
Really NOT trying to pick on anyone's opinion, just curious (and looking forward to shopping on the links you'll send me...)
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2008, 08:22 PM   #172  
Proud Fan Club Member

I live in Illinois and there is no sale tax on shipping. My sale tax is 8.25% where I live.

And The Angel Company charges $6.95 shipping on order under $69.95.

And 10% on order above $69.95.

Everywhere you look these days, Things are expensive. It's just part of our lives right now.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2008, 10:02 PM   #173  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by friendly63View Post
Didn't there used to be moderators on here that would tell us to be nice? I buy a lot of stamps and papers and stuff from just about everyone. As far as a profit goes those darn nugget tins last year were a huge money maker for a lot of people. I ordered them right from specialty bottle and still do and even with shipping I was paying less and got more tins for my money. You just have to be wise and do your research and not be paying twice for shipping, once for the company they ordered it from and then from them

I'm not a mod, but I am a MOM, so be nice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2008, 01:17 AM   #174  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
I'm not a mod, but I am a MOM, so be nice!
Okay Mom.;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2008, 02:18 AM   #175  
Postapalooza Mama

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanstamping2View Post
I live in Illinois and there is no sale tax on shipping. My sale tax is 8.25% where I live.

And The Angel Company charges $6.95 shipping on order under $69.95.

And 10% on order above $69.95.

Everywhere you look these days, Things are expensive. It's just part of our lives right now.
Hi Jean~

I live in a NW suburb of Chicago, & we do pay sales tax on shipping. Our tax rate is 7.25%. I would think the whole state would go by the same law, but it looks like it might be a county thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-16-2008, 05:00 AM   #176  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahloumelView Post
I just love the way I can browse the totally distinctive and unique images available at Unity Stamps, and with shipping at only $5, I can satisfy any desires I have to get a new stamp kit as often as I like -- being able to comfortably make a purchase whenever I want rather than having to save up and make a massive order to receive compensation is important to me as a craft shopper. I also love the Kit of the Month they have available!

I love the free shipping at PaperTrey on orders over $50 -- makes me comfortable picking up some of their beautiful, exclusive heavyweight cardstock every month if I want to, plus their quality matching inks, without having to find an independent demonstrator and join a monthly club to find it personally worthwhile to do the same thing within SU's framework. Again, feeling comfortable to freely place orders when I have less than $150 to spend on craft crap is important to me as a shopper.
See this is where people just don't see eye to eye - I have looked at Unity Stamps and there are 3 single stamps I like...total cost is $15...but shipping would be another $5...which would make it over 30% for shipping costs - to me to spend $20 for 3 single UM stamps just isn't worth it to me. I am not saying that Unity doesn't have beautiful stamps - they do but I just don't love them enough or think I will personally use them enough to justify $6.66 per stamp. I am sure one day when I have extra $$ floating and nothing else is pulling me more around I will put them in the cart and just buy them...

But I understand a mental block of paying for shipping...

Companies that offer flat rate shipping are doing one of two things depending on thier products...loosing money on shipping and making it up elsewhere in their product prices (thinking about a company like Pampered Chef because I just ordered and paid $4 flat shipping and as a tangent they used a huge box for 4 items...but I know it cost more then $4 to ship those items to me) or robbing Peter to pay Paul - so someone is paying $5, 6, 7 to have something shipped that would only cost $2 to ship and another is paying the same flat rate but it the actual cost is $9, 10, 11, etc...

Whereas if I were to spend $15 with a company that has a 8% or 10% then I am "controlling" my own shipping and handleing. (as a note I am a SU demo...so I am able to control the orders I place for myself and my customers so my customers know that shipping is 10% no matter how little they purchase...so if they only buy $10 of items they pay $1 for S&H - My friend who is a CM demo does the same thing...simply charges the % on all items she sells - so if someone wants $20 of stuff they are only paying like $1.50 rather than $7)

NOW that is not to say Free shipping isn't be nice...I personally have been swayed by some companies for free shipping...just like I have turned away from some companies because I can't justify spending $4-6 for shipping when I only want a $10 or $15 item....

Like another PP stated - FREE may not always be totally free...Amazon was brought up - I recently went in search of a product (removable wallpaper border called Wallpops) I found it on Amazon for $16.99 with free shipping - I needed 2 of them so the cost would have been over $30....I found them on another site for $9.99 each with flat $6.95 shipping - so in some cases you are playing more for an item (may not be the item you are purchasing) to offset the "free" shipping costs...as far as how fast you get something - a big part of that has to do with how far away you are from a shipping hub...I get things from Amazon in 3-5 days if I use the Free shipping option, my sister it can take a week or more...

I have had occassion to purchase from Papertrey only because I have had friends who also wanted to order so our purchases were above $50...

As a pp stated it comes down to money and what you are willing to spend your hard earned cash on...for some people that is going for a good deal with free shipping if they have the items you want...or buying something from someplace because they are discounting it so much it offsets the price of the S&H. Every business handles it differently...some choose to offer a "discount" by providing discounted or free shipping...some choose to provide specials or free products with purchases.

Every business out there is out to make money...if not they wouldn't be a business...and when you compare you can't compare apples to oranges - you have to compare apples to apples...the bottom line comes down to the fact if you like and want something enough you will spend the money to purchase it (darn you cats pajamas and your cute little penguin stamp ;) ). You purchase what works for you - for example I heave out money to buy Philosophy and Bare Minerals stuff...could I find something cheaper that would work just as well...I could but I like what i use - I find the quality great and the cost per use managable for me so I buy what I like and know works well for me - KWIM

As for SU - yes us demos do get our hackles raised as for many us demos this is how we earn money - either to spend to support our habit (gosh makes us sound like a bunch of drug pushers...ummm yeah....no I'm not sniffin the Staz-on - why you ask...) or to spend to support our families...many demos do try to set things straight and explain the full background of why charges are such - is it wrong to defend ones livelyhood on a public forum. I think when one starts a thread comparing one company to another it is a natural progression for others to compare their companies to another...but the bottom line comes down to the fact...at least with SU...if you like a $20 stamp set...is it worth it to pay $22 for that set (i.e. $2 for S&H charges)...for some people the answer may be no...for others yes....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2008, 09:04 PM   #177  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaSchwichView Post
Okay, I FINALLY made it to the end of this crabby thread. I have a question, a sincere question >>:
When I first started stamping (which, to be fair was only a few months ago), I thought "What? Are they nuts? $30 for a stamp set?" Until I went shopping in the LSS, and even online. Here's where I am confused: after shopping A LOT, and I do mean A LOT online and in the brick-and-mortar stores, I absolutely cannot find wood mounted stamps cheaper than that. I can easily pay $7-13 per stamp (even online), so why is it that people say SU! is overpriced?
Now, if you are comparing SU! to acrylics, that's not even a valid comparison, is it? Even this novice can see that they are not the same (rubber and acrylic or photopolymers). And believe me, that is not a bash of acrylics, I have lots 'o CD cases filled with those, too. I just mean that generally, you like what you like, so if it's rubber you like, where on earth are you shopping to beat SU!'s prices (perhaps so I can shop there, too? :-D )
I hesitate to post this here, I almost wonder if I shold start over.
Really NOT trying to pick on anyone's opinion, just curious (and looking forward to shopping on the links you'll send me...)
Thanks!
I agree with you, when I started comparing individual stamp prices at the LSS, SU didn't seem so bad...but that's IF you want every single stamp in the set. Which doesn't often happen, for me. So, do I pay $7 for one stamp, or $30 (plus shipping) for a bunch of them that I may or may not want, KWIM? Also, I can use my coupons at Joann, Micheals & Archivers, and get them for less than the retail price. So, if I really like the whole set, I buy SU; otherwise I buy single stamps or acrylic sets so I can get more stamps for the money.

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-17-2008, 09:08 PM   #178  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by nbwccView Post
Coming back to the original post...

To add to what Melissa said... something that was mentioned, but not really acknowledged is that from SU! with an order this big, being placed as a single hostess order ALSO allows you $20 in FREE merchandise AND a free hostess stamp set that is not available to purchase... the value of both MORE THAN offsets the $21 you paid in Shipping and Handling (the $12 for Tax would have been paid in any brick and mortar store like Michaels anyway).

Sure it is nice when a smaller company offers free shipping over $50, but since you spent so much, instead of giving free shipping, SU! does give you even more value in FREE & EXCLUSIVE PRODUCTS!
Assuming you WANT that "exclusive" product!

I think we will always disagree about whether SU charges "too much" for shipping. That is a pointless argument. But giving your opinion, that you think it is worth it for the product, service, etc. is fine--and so is giving your opinion that you won't buy SU because it costs too much!

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-18-2008, 12:10 AM   #179  
Stampin' Fool

These threads always leave me shaking my head. Try living in Alaska (or Canada as our neighbors would probably agree). Some companies will actually ship here for free - Old Navy & Target are the only 2 I can think of off hand. Most companies automatically charge you an extra $10 even if it is shipped through the USPS. I tried to order a replacement swing for our swing set this summer and every site I tried wanted $65 to ship a part that ranged between $6-15. Crazy!

SU! rocks when it comes to shipping to Alaska. We only pay 10% just like everyone else. PartyLite charges us 20%, Tastefully Simple 25%, Pampered Chef I belive is up to 17% plus I belive there was some sort of automatic charge of $3 per person. SU is a direct sales company and when you compare them to others they are not more expensive.

There's my 2 cents and no I could not bring myself to read all 5 pages but I have read at least 3 of them so sorry if anyone else has brought this up.

My teeny, tiny, someday it might be a GALLERY
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2008, 01:34 PM   #180  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by gram2boyzView Post
Their prices have always been high, in my opinion. I wish they'd offer unmounted stamps or go acrylic. I get a little sick of paying all that shipping for wooden blocks that will go in the trash! With so many stamp companies out there, I'm surprised they've managed to stay on top this long! What really gets me is they even tax the shipping!
My understanding is that taxing the shipping is state dependent - depends on state regs. When I had an order shipped to me while I was going to be on vacation, I didn't have to pay tax on shipping based on my parents' address (and the tax rate was lower - woohoo!).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2008, 04:32 AM   #181  
Kookie Creator

The issue I have, and will always have with SU's shipping is that there is no cap. If you order $70 in merchandise you pay 10% but if you order $600 in merchandise you pay 10% and $60 is a LOT for shipping charges. I have read this thread where others are rationalizing the free merchandise and free sets. That rationale is only persuasive if you are interested in what SU is offering from "free". If you are not impressed by the hostess sets and cant find anything at the level of free merchandise you've earned, its of little value.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2008, 05:29 AM   #182  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Not getting involved in the drama here. I get enough of that from my kids. I just wanted to say how sorry I am for the OP who lost so much in her house fire. I think it's sad that so many people who have joined this thread haven't said that. I hope no one was hurt, and that you are able to replace the things that you lost.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2008, 05:41 AM   #183  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

Did I miss something? I don't remember the OP saying anything about a house fire. I know I'm getting old and decrepit, but I missed that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2008, 05:49 AM   #184  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
Not getting involved in the drama here. I get enough of that from my kids. I just wanted to say how sorry I am for the OP who lost so much in her house fire. I think it's sad that so many people who have joined this thread haven't said that. I hope no one was hurt, and that you are able to replace the things that you lost.
I think you got into the wrong thread somehow? This is the OP:

Quote:

I placed an order from SU! from the new catalog the other day and the S&H and taxes were $37!!! I love their products, but when I saw that, I wonder how long they are going to get more of my business. If we order online with SU!, will we have to pay sales tax?

If I order from PTI or MFT or my dear Bellas, I pay much less and they have free shipping if you spend a certain amount. Trust me, any of those companies would have given me free S&H with the amount of my order!

SU! is starting to branch out, as with the die cut machine and the wall decor, WHEN will they understand about their competition and offering UM and if not free shipping, at least better rates if you spend a big wad? Yikes! $37!! I could have had another stamp set or two at that rate!

Jutta

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2008, 06:52 AM   #185  
Glitter Guru

Sorry. My mistake.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2008, 06:54 AM   #186  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by CinnistewView Post
I have to agree... their shipping is way too high. I lost all my cardstock when my house caught on fire in July and am looking to place a $500+ order... but the $50+ in shipping has really made me reconsider.

I just ordered $660 worth of Prism cardstock form Stamper's Dream and there were no shipping charges. I may just stick with Prism.
I knew someone mentioned a house fire in this thread. I'm not completely nuts - yet! :mrgreen: Sorry for the confusion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2008, 06:59 AM   #187  
Pearl-ExPert

it wasnt the OP but one of the posts did mention a gal had a fire in her home.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2008, 07:01 AM   #188  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 156 Likes on 80 Posts

I totally agree...especially with these economic times. I , personally, think the prices of the stamp sets are too high too...I mean $30.00 for a set...geesh!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2008, 08:05 AM   #189  
Pearl-ExPert

This was really an interesting thread and I had to say my two cents here.

I love SU and I love PTI as well. I like the free shipping with PTI, but have had no issues with the SU Shipping. It is just two different companies and two different working models.

I do enjoy the customer service that my demo offers - she answers all my questions, give me tips on using some of the stuff I ordered, she always makes sure that I am getting all the free goodies I should be getting and helps me maximize my order. It is is nice to work with a person like that and get inspired by their ideas and projects. I really love the quality of SU Stamps, they are just amazing and do not stain that easily. I can easily open the first box of SU Stamps that I got a while ago and feel like they are still new.

PTI has other ways of inspiring me and their stamps are good too. Versatile. Easy to store - has all the advantages of UM and clear stamps. Sometimes I have gotten frustrated with PTI too where in they have the main stamp set and the sentiments separate and I have to pay twice for them. For example, quilter set and quilter sentiments - although they form a set, they are sold as separate sets, I mean I would understand if it is an addon like the Holiday set for the Boards and Beams. So, everything has its own pros and cons. It is just figuring out what suits us at that point of time.

Bottom line is - What we want for our stamping addiction (lol) and how much is our budget.

I myself have been struggling with my scrapbooking/stamping budget these past few months so I can understand.

BUT IT IS AMAZING TO BE IN THE COMPANY OF YOU ALL WHO ARE SO PASSIONATE AND LOYAL TO THIS CRAFT.

Cheers
Banu

PS: This post totally got me out of my Monday Blues.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2008, 10:39 AM   #190  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
I've never seen an invoice for my purchases from my Stampin' Up Consultant. I send her my order in an MSWord document attached to my e-mail and she e-mails me back with the total amount I owe for it. I take the money over to her and then go back whenever she e-mails me that she has received my order. My orders have been at least $100, many have qualified as a show. I guess that means I am paying quite a sum for tax, shipping and handling.

I've made comment that it always takes at least 2 weeks from the time I send her my order till it arrives at her house.

How are all of you getting an itemized invoice? Am I entitled to ask for an invoice?

Patti
You are absolutely entitled to an itemized invoice!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2008, 10:41 AM   #191  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by juttaView Post
This is what I got. Merchandise Total
$213.26
Shipping/Handling
$21.33
Sales Tax 5.0000%
$11.79
Total Due
$246.38

Shipping is 10%, tax 5%. Maybe the online ordering, with a credit to the demo would be the way to go. I'll bet that it would be itemized. If you buy online, do you have to pay sales tax?

Jutta
In ND, our tax is six percent! It kills me that we have to pay tax on shipping, too, because you know UPS and USPS don't charge tax on top of the shipping price. What's the deal with that?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2008, 11:10 AM   #192  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by biblesistersmomView Post
In ND, our tax is six percent! It kills me that we have to pay tax on shipping, too, because you know UPS and USPS don't charge tax on top of the shipping price. What's the deal with that?

If the State charges tax on shipping. This is why you have to pay it.

Some States want to get every little penny that think they are intitled too.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2008, 11:16 AM   #193  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by marypView Post
Hi Jean~

I live in a NW suburb of Chicago, & we do pay sales tax on shipping. Our tax rate is 7.25%. I would think the whole state would go by the same law, but it looks like it might be a county thing.

Hey Mary!, ,

In our Area, We only pay sales tax on the Retail price. Then shipping is not taxed.

You might be right about the County thing.

PS: it's good to see you again!!!!!

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2008, 12:50 PM   #194  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by juttaView Post
This is what I got. Merchandise Total
$213.26
Shipping/Handling
$21.33
Sales Tax 5.0000%
$11.79
Total Due
$246.38

Shipping is 10%, tax 5%. Maybe the online ordering, with a credit to the demo would be the way to go. I'll bet that it would be itemized. If you buy online, do you have to pay sales tax?

Jutta
Yes, if you purchase online you still have to pay taxes - it is the states & counties that dictate the tax amounts and SU passes it on to the appropriate governments.

Your demo should technically be providing you with a hard copy of your order at the time that you pay her - and if not then, ask for it when you get the order. She can either print out a copy of the order from the SU website or can give you a handwritten copy on an order form - either way it will show the cost of each item, the subtotal, the shipping amount, the tax amount and the total. As demos, we are supposed to provide this info to the customer.

As for the online ordering and shipping, MAKE SURE YOU ORDER DIRECTLY THROUGH YOUR DEMO'S BUSINESS WEBSITE. You WILL be charged more for shipping (at least as the base price - not sure if it's a higher percentage) if you go through stampinup.com instead (and your demo doesn't get as much credit for the order, either).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2008, 01:13 PM   #195  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Never mind, I didn't read the whole thing. Can't comment without reading! LOL

Last edited by debbiemom23cs; 10-20-2008 at 01:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2008, 01:22 PM   #196  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

I have to agree... their shipping is way too high. I lost all my cardstock when my house caught on fire in July and am looking to place a $500+ order... but the $50+ in shipping has really made me reconsider.

I just ordered $660 worth of Prism cardstock form Stamper's Dream and there were no shipping charges. I may just stick with Prism.
Really? My LSS just switched to Prism and had a make-n-take this weekend. I couldn't believe how thin it was....seemed very flimsy to me, esp. since I've been using SU cardstock exclusively for several months now. Is there different types of Prism that would make you say this or is it all just the cost? That is my only experience with Prism so would love to know what you thought comparing them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2008, 03:46 PM   #197  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ROFL... I can't believe this thread has reared it's ugly head again. :rolleyes:

I really like the Prism Prismatics cardstock. It is comparable in weight and price to SU and I like the fact it is smooth on one side and has a leathery texture on the other. It is gorgeous cardstock. I checked prices and the price per sheet for both types were comparable... except for the shipping. One thing I really like are the colors... each "color" has three different shades available - light , medium, and dark - so you can coordinate shades.

I did end up getting both brands of cardstock and can't wait to get home and get my new stamp room set up so I can really start doing do some serious stamping. We've spent 1 month in a hotel, 3 months in a rental, and have a month to go until our house is ready.

Last edited by Cinnistew; 10-20-2008 at 03:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2008, 04:26 PM   #198  
Pearl-ExPert

My state tax is 9.75 %!! Talk about HIGH!! :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2008, 04:45 PM   #199  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

I really like the Prism Prismatics cardstock.
I'm sorry - I never meant to offend anyone - I genuinely wanted a review b/c I thought it was thin and to hear that makes me think that they are comparable or even Prism is better. You said Prism Prismatics --- so maybe they have more than one "line" and different weights for each. And I'm wondering if there's a difference. That's all. I don't want to bash one or the other --- it was just my observance. I was really surprised by the paper used at the store this weekend.

Anyway, this is hijacking the thread which was all about shipping prices - but I saw the reference to Prism and just shot off a question.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2008, 07:47 PM   #200  
Rubber Obsessor

Yes, 10% on shipping is high, but here in Hawaii we get our merchandise via two-day federal express; this month it's one-day federal express. So, $10 on a $100 order isn't that bad considering how fast you get it. Of course, I would prefer waiting and paying less in shipping, or even getting free shipping with a minimum purchase.
Reply With Quote Likes