Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-26-2008, 10:25 AM   #41  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a demo and I use mostly all SU but a lot of times I use non SU ribbon. I don't have a big stock of ribbon yet but working on it. All my ink and CS as well as stamps are SU. I personally feel the CS and ink is top notch. But that's my opinion for what works for me.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 12:21 PM   #42  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewnmachineView Post
Maybe sometime in the future I'll fall in love with SU. But if a product can't be bought online or a store I won't bother with it. Too much hassle, when there are just as many good products out there that I can buy at midnight online.
You can buy them online actually... on ebay. There's thousands of SU! stamp sets for sale, and some real gems from years past!! I have also been stalking Close-To-My-Heart and The-Angel-Company stamps on ebay because I'm not a fan of the direct-marketing approach either.

For the OP:
I think 50% of my stamps are SU!, but I've been stamping a long time, since 1994 I think. I also kind of forgot about SU! for a while there, when brick-and-mortar stores started popping up in my town - that's where all my money went for a while. And about the same time as the stores were popping up, I also found House Mouse stamps, joined their club and got discounts and free shipping over $100! Back then I didn't have a mortgage so spent lots of $$$ on stamps other than SU!.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 12:42 PM   #43  
Insane Embellisher

I don't have a ton of SU anything. I really do prefer their cardstock for it's thickness, but that's about it. I love the variety from all the other companies and I can get way more stamps cheaper than just buying from SU. I do have the SU watercoloring pencils, matpack, a few punches, but that's about it. I may be the only person on here that can't stand SU inkpads. I just can't get used to the flip open cover and I really prefer a smaller inkpad to work with.
I would probably buy more SU items but they seem to be rather expensive overall and my budget just can't allow that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 12:47 PM   #44  
Stampin' Fool

I use and love several companies, in fact my favorite designer papers come from Basic Grey and Club Scrap. My favorite card stock and ink colors are from SU. I have stamps from several companies, but love SU stamps, rub ons, etc the most.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 12:50 PM   #45  
Vintage Vixen

Heck no! For one thing, most of SU's stamps are not my style. For another, I'm not a huge fan of companies that only sell their things via home parties. And third, I don't care if my ink doesn't match my paper or doesn't match my ribbon. I'm all about mixing things up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 01:04 PM   #46  
Kookie Creator

Heck no! Part of it is because I hate being tied to a demo/mail order, but mostly it is because they don't have the selection I am looking for.

Their cardstock really is top notch, but you don't have a lot of options for how you can buy it. What if I only want 4 sheets of one color? Also their color range is not broad enough for me. I use lots of colored cardstock on my layouts (I'm mostly a scrapper). Those are what started me looking elsewhere, but now I just find no real rason to go back. I do like some of their products and will probably buy more as time goes on, but for me there are better options elswhere. It all comes down to personal taste.

I agree with too many options being a bit paralyzing though. I love Bazzill, but have started to feel a bit overwhelmed by allllll the colors there are!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 01:07 PM   #47  
Vintage Vixen

Quote:

Originally Posted by PandaGirlView Post
Heck no! Part of it is because I hate being tied to a demo/mail order, but mostly it is because they don't have the selection I am looking for.

Their cardstock really is top notch, but you don't have a lot of options for how you can buy it. What if I only want 4 sheets of one color? Also their color range is not broad enough for me. I use lots of colored cardstock on my layouts (I'm mostly a scrapper). Those are what started me looking elsewhere, but now I just find no real rason to go back. I do like some of their products and will probably buy more as time goes on, but for me there are better options elswhere. It all comes down to personal taste.

I agree with too many options being a bit paralyzing though. I love Bazzill, but have started to feel a bit overwhelmed by allllll the colors there are!
Blasphemy! ;)

I love Bazzill too, and I love all the color options and the various textures! It's all I use for my card bases and scrapbooking. And you can find a Bazzill cardstock to go with just about everything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 01:07 PM   #48  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to buy from a bunch of different companies, even after I signed up as a demo, but more and more, I tend to stick to SU! products. I find it just makes it easier to demo SU!-only project and even that it simplifies the designing process itself, since everything fits together very nicely. The more advanced a stamper I get, the better I get at reproducing looks I like from other compagnies with SU!-only supplies, which also makes it very gratifying.

The way I see it, if I like something enough, I will buy it even though it's not SU! It just wouldn't be a fun hobby if I felt like I had to deprive myself from stuff I really like. But at the same time, I have a lot of supplies now, so I try to buy more wisely, and that means staying away from material that will gather dust in my drawers. For that simple reason, SU! supplies are always a wiser investment for me. Plus, everything is great quality, so I'm usually happier than if I use something that I got for cheaper.

Cindy

Visit my gallery! ... or my blog (Yes, I caved!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 01:27 PM   #49  
Compulsive Stamper

I exclusively incorporate stamping into scrapping (not a cardmaker or stamp artist), so about 5-10% of my overall inventory (including my pending order) is SU!: approximately a dozen stamp sets (one of which is an alphabet), three punches, four wheels, a wheel guide, & a couple white gel pens.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 02:06 PM   #50  
R
Embossing Fanatic

I agree with stampwithdiane. The vast majority of my stamping stuff is from SU. I'm not a 'shopper' type person - no stores nearby, get bored shopping the net, don't want to have to make a bunch of decisions about something that is supposed to be relaxing and fun. Limiting myself to SU supplies has taken lots of stress out of getting the materials with which to work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 04:35 PM   #51  
Polyshrink Goddess

Wink

agree with stampwithdiane. The vast majority of my stamping stuff is from SU. I'm not a 'shopper' type person - no stores nearby, get bored shopping the net, don't want to have to make a bunch of decisions about something that is supposed to be relaxing and fun. Limiting myself to SU supplies has taken lots of stress out of getting the materials with which to work

Actually I can identify with the peace of mind that comes with limited choices. I have more fabric than I will use for the rest of my life - when I begin to design a quilt I have sooooooooo much to choose from that it takes days of auditioning patterns and colors. Eventually I settle upon a color scheme and I'm off and running. But there are those overly stimulated hours when fabric is flying everywhere. However, I could never part with it because again - what if inspiration strikes at midnight? What then? So I use what I have and then use that as justification to go out any buy twice the amount I just used. It's that kind of thinking that has gotten me in the delightful predicament that I'm in. TOO MUCH OF EVERYTHING, AND NOT ENOUGH OF NOTHIN!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 04:42 PM   #52  
Polyshrink Goddess

I mostly use SU! also. I do have a few store-bought stams, and I often use store-bought blank cards and envies for my projects, and occasionally a printed paper that I might like. All of my ribbons are store-bought also. But I only use SU! cardstock and ink.
~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 05:01 PM   #53  
Stampin' Fool

I use about 90-95% SU prducts. I use their cardstock and DP exclusively (it's just so much easier to create things when color matching is already done for me!) and most of my ink is SU. Where I really go outside SU is ribbon, brads, and some other embellishments. 90% of my stamps are SU, although I have several stamps that are from Inky Antics (SU doesn't have enough of the FUN stamps I want).

isewquilts2
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 06:24 PM   #54  
Stampin' Fool

I'm pretty much all Stampin' Up!, too. I'm a demo, so I don't want to demo something that someone can't purchase off of me. Plus who doesn't love that 20% discount?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 06:25 PM   #55  
Polyshrink Goddess

I use SU! exclusively because of my business but not in my scrapbooking for myself, I use a variety of different dsp from different companies!! I have only bought stamps from Gina K and only those that she was doing for Stamps for a Cause because I wanted to support them!! It makes sense for me to buy from me - and I LOVE LOVE LOVE Stampin' Up! so no huge sacrifice - LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 07:21 PM   #56  

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RView Post
I agree with stampwithdiane. The vast majority of my stamping stuff is from SU. I'm not a 'shopper' type person - no stores nearby, get bored shopping the net, don't want to have to make a bunch of decisions about something that is supposed to be relaxing and fun. Limiting myself to SU supplies has taken lots of stress out of getting the materials with which to work.
Me three! Plus, I just love the quality of the products and the amazing coordination of their lines. I'm not opposed to buying others and I don't have any obligation since I'm not a demo, I just love the stuff!

I seriously try to like other companies and have bought a few things, but I just find that I reach for the SU stuff over and over. The other stamps I have from other companies just tend to gather dust. I feel badly sometimes (especially on this board) that I just like SU stuff.

I also don't like making decisions involving spending money that I haven't gotten to play with and see with my own eyes (and hands). I love going to a workshop and finding out that I love a set that I never would have picked up from a catalog or online drawing, conversely, I've saved alot of money deciding I DON'T like a set that I may have been initially drawn to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 09:25 PM   #57  
Matboard Maniac

I think it would be no fun at all to limit yourself to one stamp company. While SU offers a lot of beautiful things, they couldn't possibly carry all that I would want to create with. I honestly couldn't care less which company a stamp/paper/etc comes from as long as I love it. IT'S ALL GOOD! ok...maybe a little too good!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2008, 10:05 PM   #58  
Stampin' Fool

Default My SU doesn't collect dust either!

I agree! I have a very few CTMH, Autumn Leaves, and Hero Arts sets that I do use, esp. the sentiments, but I find myself grabbing the SU time and again. Dust on an SU set? Only if it's Perfect Plaid...
I think that the simplicity of SU stamp sets is what appeals to my creativity. I like simple images on my cards so the recipient can appreciate the cover but really focus on what I've written inside.
That said, I used to "teach" paper crafting at J's (PM me and I'll tell you what I really think...) so I had a discount and stocked up on DCWV paper at each sale. I really like their white-core cardstock, and I just have so much of it that I haven't allowed myself to buy any SU - but as soon as I wade through the stacks a litte, I'm diving in! I would love to be able to make a card without holding up several samples to get a decent match. As far as ribbon and other accessories go, I'm an equal opportunity shopper - gimme those clearance racks any day! Love the bargain bins at Target, Archivers, and Michaels, too!
But hands down, my favorite ink pads of all time are SU. I've tried a lot, and only Ranger comes close to quality and user-friendliness in my opinion. SU has a better range of colors for my taste, however, and the pad is larger, and the lids stay on! I've ended up taping some lids on one side so that they quit falling off when I pick up the pad. OCD habit - I flip the pads upside down, and only SU makes it so I don't have to do this. (I know, CTMH does too, but I've had so many problems with the lid coming off the hinge I gave up).
I love hearing about other's experiences - and I'm going to check out some other stamp companies just in case I find another to be addicted too - shhhh, don't tell my husband! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 12:35 AM   #59  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Thank You Stampwithdiane~ I think you have just solved my problem with pre planning cards for swaps, it's SOOO tough for me to do but darn I buy from EVERYONE.... Now I am going to be purging my NEER used items, alread got rid of my bind it all and Zutter cutter... I have found SU (again) and decided to stick around. I am signing up in September under a GOOD BUDDY of mine here on SCS and I will be MUCH happier with my cards...

That said, I am NOT going to ignore the Cat's PJ new release this Friday, I still LOVE those sassy lil stamps....;) SO there will be some exceptions to the stamps but all the "stuff" for the card.... SU!:mrgreen:

Thanks Diane!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 03:55 AM   #60  
Insane Embellisher

For those that said "can't by it online", just remember that SU is going to be ONLINE ordering in the fall. That to me is a great thing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 05:01 AM   #61  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I've often wondered this too. As far as stamps I use stampin up 99.9% of the time. I used to have a ton of Hero Arts and after I found stampin up I have gotten rid of most of the others and if i saved them, I rarely use them. I only use SU cardstock and inks too. Although when it comes to accessories (punches, ribbons, glue dots, stuff like that) I tend to use what is on sale or I can pick up quickly at the hobby store. I don't like that if I run out of dotto or something I have to order it, plus I don't like paying shipping on something I can get at the local store! But, if it's something I can't find anywhere else I will order from the catty.

Happy stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 05:39 AM   #62  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only one company? No. That's like never gonna happen for me! There are too many great designers working for other companies to limit myself! That's like picking one designer for my clothes too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2008, 06:41 AM   #63  
Stazon Splitcoast

In the beginning I was all stampin up, all the time. Now that I have branched out to acrylic and unmounted rubber, I don't tend to buy SU Stamps. But their tools are fantastic. So I do use a lot of their tools, and I love the papers, inks, etc. too - so I will probably use those - but until they give an unmounted option (sending no wood and making it less expensive) I'll not purchase new sets. They are too expensive in comparison to other companies. In my opinion, that is.

The good news for you is if you want to buy only SU, there is enough variety to fuel creativity, especially with the mini catalogs, etc.

GOOD LUCK!
emily
Reply With Quote Likes