Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-14-2010, 08:00 AM   #801  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ALL of the above and so much more. I am now in a downsizing mode and there is so much to destash it is scary. I make a few cards now and then and have never scrapbooked, but if you saw the stuff in my craft room, you would think there was never going to be another stamp, ink pad, embellishment or sheet of cardstock produced . . . ever again.

I think what bothers me most is the waste . . . waste of money, time in buying, sorting, storing and now selling. And the impact to the eco-system from the resources needed to make all the stuff I bought and no longer want or need.

I guess I had lots of fun with what I have, but I probably would have enjoyed it more if I used my creativity to create instead of relying on purchasing things to make it easy.

Oh well, that is pretty deep for a fine Friday, isn't it? :p I will step back now and go see what I can create with what I have left.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2010, 08:52 AM   #802  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandmamichelfView Post
I also regret getting the crackle paint because I forgot I had it and now it's drying up.

I regret all those Colorbox inks that I have. My distress inks work just fine and dandy for heat embossing. Those colorbox inks are just sitting there, staring at me every time I sit down but they can just stare. I'm using my distress inks and my mementos, tyvm.

Oh, boy, I should check my crackle paint too... it must be really crackled now!:oops:
Oh, I guess I should organize my stuff better so I can see what I have.... out-a-sight out of mind! that's me! LOL

and I didn't know that you could heat embox with distress inks! I like how you can layer the colors on with the distress inks. I find that the different ink pads have different uses..... the colorbox ones are good for coverage in a different way. I guess it depends on what project your doing and what effect you want! Just my two cents!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2010, 08:59 AM   #803  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by greatgrammyView Post
ALL of the above and so much more. I am now in a downsizing mode and there is so much to destash it is scary. I make a few cards now and then and have never scrapbooked, but if you saw the stuff in my craft room, you would think there was never going to be another stamp, ink pad, embellishment or sheet of cardstock produced . . . ever again.

I think what bothers me most is the waste . . . waste of money, time in buying, sorting, storing and now selling. And the impact to the eco-system from the resources needed to make all the stuff I bought and no longer want or need.

I guess I had lots of fun with what I have, but I probably would have enjoyed it more if I used my creativity to create instead of relying on purchasing things to make it easy.

Oh well, that is pretty deep for a fine Friday, isn't it? :p I will step back now and go see what I can create with what I have left.
Yes, I can see your point here..... I'm guilty too! :oops:
I could actually do some scrapbooking instead of just hunting and gathering supplies now! hehehe!

Could you give your stuff to some newbie stampers or to the a kid's club or group or to your kid' s school ? We have a place where you can put your unwanted but still good stuff so someone else can use them.
Or you could sell them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2010, 09:14 AM   #804  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With your Crackle paint is thick and drying up you can add a couple drops of water and use a craft stick to smooth it back out. I have had to do that several times, even though I love my crackle paint I don't use it alot - so mine has gotten old and thick. I read about this somewhere either Tim Holtz blog or 1 of his videos.

Sheena
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2010, 11:50 AM   #805  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

I absolutely HATE my Cricut Design Studio
I love my Cricut Design Studio. I don't use it to do anything real fancy. Mostly I use it to make repeats of basic shapes. I save the pages once I get them setup. For example if I am making several cards with three layers of cs different sizes, I just load my paper, load my template and I can cut out all the shapes at one time with a click of the mouse.

Would you like me to send you the templates I have made up? Some are designed for the original Cricut size and some are designed for 12 x 12 paper. I'm not home right now but I think the cartridge I've used on most of these is George - Basic Shapes. Do you have that one?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2010, 04:51 AM   #806  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayjoynstampView Post
Yes, I can see your point here..... I'm guilty too! :oops:
I could actually do some scrapbooking instead of just hunting and gathering supplies now! hehehe!

Could you give your stuff to some newbie stampers or to the a kid's club or group or to your kid' s school ? We have a place where you can put your unwanted but still good stuff so someone else can use them.
Or you could sell them!
I am in the process of selling some stuff. I have donated some items to my grandchildren's school.

Also, there is a wonderful organization for teachers here in the Phoenix area called Treasures 4 Teachers. They take all kinds of donated items from individuals and corporations and offer them to teachers who are members of the co-op. The teachers help in the warehouse by volunteering and members can purchase items for their classrooms at a nominal fee. So it helps me recycle and save the planet and it gives teachers a much needed boost in purchasing their craft supplies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2010, 05:54 PM   #807  
Polyshrink Goddess

I regret thinking I had to have every stamp set used in workshops I attended. I have gotten rid of quite a few sets and am more selective now when purchasing. I am only adding stamp sets to fill in gaps in my collection.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2010, 06:31 PM   #808  
Rubber Obsessor

I regret buying the Cricut. I wish I had all the money I spent on that put into Big Shot dies instead!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2010, 07:25 AM   #809  
Matboard Maniac

Wow I am really surprised at how many of you regret getting the Bind It All. I make heaps of mini albums and I love mine. I don't regret buying anything but I gotten a few things as gifts that I am now stuck with: Fiskars embossing table and heaps of embossing plates. It's so much easier to just run an embossing folder through my big shot. I also have a few stacks of really bright paper that I think I will just hand over to my kids for their craft projects.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2010, 03:24 PM   #810  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by greatgrammyView Post
I am in the process of selling some stuff. I have donated some items to my grandchildren's school.

Also, there is a wonderful organization for teachers here in the Phoenix area called Treasures 4 Teachers. They take all kinds of donated items from individuals and corporations and offer them to teachers who are members of the co-op. The teachers help in the warehouse by volunteering and members can purchase items for their classrooms at a nominal fee. So it helps me recycle and save the planet and it gives teachers a much needed boost in purchasing their craft supplies.

Oh, that's wonderful that you have such a place for reusing stuff. Someone's junk is someone else's treasures I always say! Your stuff will make some one smile! I wish more people would share their stuff rather than dumping it in the garbage and landfill!:cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2010, 05:59 PM   #811  
Inking Addict

I have made some pretty bad choices on product purchases. Every year I weed out things I just had to have, and then never touched. Some of my purchases were late night early morning can't sleep qvc-hsn shopping. My lss has a yearly yardsale, where they manage the sales, for instore credit. Loved that way to clear items. My most recent regret-SU milkcarton die--it's already gone. Yes I have too much paper, but for the most part, I am very pleased with my current supplies, and the use there of. Thanks for this trip down memory lane, and past purchase reminders.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2010, 04:32 AM   #812  
Pearl-ExPert

I completely agree on the Cricut Design studio. I could never get that dumb thing to do any of what I wanted it to. Used it 2 times and gave up. However, DH bought me the Gypsy for Mother's Day. I am finding a renewed love for my cricut! I love that little gadget. I sit here in the evenings and create pages and store them for later to cut when I have time. I am really liking it and it's super easy to use once you take a minute to figure it out (just like any new toy, right?)
I also regretted my BIA. Never used it and sold it for pennies on here to a lady who hopefully does, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2010, 05:05 AM   #813  
Kookie Creator

Can you believe I made two purchases in one week that I regret! First is the Copics Airbrush system with the DVD I just can't seem to get the hang of it I've ruined so many cards that now I just don't use it. In that same week I purchased the Singer Mini I was so excited but, did not have the chance to use it for about 6 weeks and when I did use it the thread just keeps breaking!!! It doesn't look like I can return it you only had 30 days for returns. When I set out to make cards I want things to go smoothly I don't want to have to dork for hours with equipment It makes me CRAZY! Long story short in one week I wasted over $100 makes me sad:(

Knoxville, TN
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2010, 09:17 AM   #814  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rainy Day StamperView Post
Not really anything I regret. I have sold a few sets that I regret selling tho.
I have never sold anything but I have felt like kicking myself for not getting certain stamps before they were retired. Riot of Petals as an example. I guess I'll have to look on ebay or something. :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2010, 11:36 AM   #815  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by BethshayaView Post
I bought two Blue Hill Studio's magnetic punches that punch borders in a circle or oval in the middle of pages.

Biggest waste of money. Neither work at all. Cant even cut through tissue paper let alone cardstock or DP.

I totally agree! Bought one Blue Hill Studio's punch on line and the thing never works. Have the same problem with MS border punches, can not use them with my PTI cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2010, 01:44 PM   #816  
Mad Swapper

Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts
Wink

I bought the Fascenator a few yrs ago, and all the staples to go with it. I could never get the staples placed as I wanted them, staples were too thick in width for my taste, just didn't add anything to my projects. But it lays in a storage container, unused, really should give it to someone who might use it, but staples on cards are not really "in" now. At least it was not a costly purchase mistake.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2010, 08:20 PM   #817  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

I purchased the Singer Mini I was so excited but, did not have the chance to use it for about 6 weeks and when I did use it the thread just keeps breaking!!!

Here are some things you can try:
  • I'm assuming you've already tried adjusting the tension
  • You can also try changing the thread both the top thread and the bobbin thread in case the thread you are currently using is defective
  • Change the needle - even a microscopic burr in the wrong spot can cause thread problems
Good Luck, maybe someone else will have other ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2010, 09:49 PM   #818  
Rubber Obsessor

Yes, check all of the above plus... what kind of thread are you using?
Forget the cheap dollar store stuff. It breaks easily. If you get the tension right then maybe you can use that stuff.

Also is there a circle of felt on the spool holder under neath the spool.? that helps lift the spool so it spins easily. Give it a try and let us know how it works out for you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2010, 05:02 AM   #819  
Inking Addict

In your regrets does anyone have the fiskars card boss? I have a frienc looking for one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2010, 06:07 PM   #820  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennifer StylesView Post
How can you forget to use it? Are you a card maker?
I agree, I love the scor-pal. That is one thing I would definitely buy again. Can't make a card without using it, I like the professional fold it makes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2010, 07:57 AM   #821  
Embossing Fanatic

I wish I new what all the short forms meant.. then i would know if I regret any of them. lol
Quote:

Originally Posted by kstamperView Post
My BIA. Just HAD to have it last Christmas, and it's never even been out of the box!!!
I also regret buying eyelets in almost every color. I hardly ever use eyelets anymore.
And I also regret buying the Cricut Expressions and all 20 carts to go with it. $$$$$$ Yikes!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2010, 01:44 PM   #822  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by y-vonneView Post
Can you believe I made two purchases in one week that I regret! First is the Copics Airbrush system with the DVD I just can't seem to get the hang of it I've ruined so many cards that now I just don't use it. In that same week I purchased the Singer Mini I was so excited but, did not have the chance to use it for about 6 weeks and when I did use it the thread just keeps breaking!!! It doesn't look like I can return it you only had 30 days for returns. When I set out to make cards I want things to go smoothly I don't want to have to dork for hours with equipment It makes me CRAZY! Long story short in one week I wasted over $100 makes me sad:(

Yvonne,

one of the things they taught me in a Copics class is that with the Airbrush you really have to practice on scraps before taking it to your project... You need to take a look at the direction that it's actually pointing (not just where the marker is pointing). The air spray part is actually pointing quite a bit 'higher'.... I found that it helped to take a close look from the side to get a better idea of where it would be spraying... that's just my $.02 Hope you figure it out because it's just way too much fun...

~~ today. . . ~~

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2010, 05:01 PM   #823  
Insane Embellisher

BIA is Bind it All, a system for putting together things.
Leah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2010, 07:50 PM   #824  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have read this WHOLE thread in the last couple of days. It was great reading and very interesting to get peoples opinion's about so many things.

My regrets would be:
stickers, massive amount of cheap paper, clear $1 sets, some SU sets and alot of cheap embellishments that I won't ever use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2010, 08:05 PM   #825  
Crimping Master

I regret buying the S.U. Rub Ons. Those things are expensive, $10 for a set and I have difficulty with getting them to stick. The things that I am applying them to have been cleaned properly and the rub ons arn't olThe designes are pretty, but that doesn't help if you can get them to stick.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-15-2010, 01:45 AM   #826  
Stampin' Fool

Wow, so much that's sitting in my garage and never gets used, starting with a clay baking oven and a bunch of Primo clay in various colors. I even bought an inexpensive pasta roller for rolling the clay, and it's never been out of the box!!!
Like many of you...cheap paper, various background papers, stuff to make my own papers!
And, stamps galore that I will never use again!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2010, 04:04 PM   #827  
Compulsive Stamper

I love reading this thread LOL. Right now... my biggest mistake was not buying a bigger house!

I'm a work in progress!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2010, 04:30 PM   #828  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxfarmgirlView Post
I love reading this thread LOL. Right now... my biggest mistake was not buying a bigger house!
LOL...so true.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2010, 04:49 PM   #829  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by KalaKittyView Post
I love my Cricut Design Studio. I don't use it to do anything real fancy. Mostly I use it to make repeats of basic shapes. I save the pages once I get them setup. For example if I am making several cards with three layers of cs different sizes, I just load my paper, load my template and I can cut out all the shapes at one time with a click of the mouse.

Would you like me to send you the templates I have made up? Some are designed for the original Cricut size and some are designed for 12 x 12 paper. I'm not home right now but I think the cartridge I've used on most of these is George - Basic Shapes. Do you have that one?
Oh my gosh that is a brilliant idea! To make templates for cards and cut them over and over! Thanks!

Bonnie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2010, 04:56 PM   #830  
Matboard Maniac

cheap cardstock definitely.stamp sets, i dont think so except for some grab bags, that i ended up with a few images that are definitely not me.but then i get surprised sometimes and need an image similar to one i have so i figure if it is never used then it was a waste but so far most of mine have been used at least one time just to stamp the image for sorting.i get so confused when people post about rubons.i think metallic rubons and they might be talking about stickers. sigh
br3n
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2010, 08:40 AM   #831  
Cardstock Collector

I love this thread. I hate to admit this but, here goes: A few years ago I bought a cricut with 2 cartridges. It stayed in the box for over a year and then I ended up selling it (at a loss). Last year, I bought another cricut (this time with more cartridges). I've used it about 3 times and I'm thinking about selling it again. I'm thinking because I'm more of a card maker and it's too hard to cut out stamped images on the cricut, I would do better with a manual die-cutting machine like a Sizzix.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2010, 10:18 AM   #832  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by SandiLeeView Post
I love this thread. I hate to admit this but, here goes: A few years ago I bought a cricut with 2 cartridges. It stayed in the box for over a year and then I ended up selling it (at a loss). Last year, I bought another cricut (this time with more cartridges). I've used it about 3 times and I'm thinking about selling it again. I'm thinking because I'm more of a card maker and it's too hard to cut out stamped images on the cricut, I would do better with a manual die-cutting machine like a Sizzix.
Like you Sandi, I have discovered I use a manual die cutter WAY more than anything you plug in. Tough lesson, but I love my Big Shot.
Leah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2010, 10:41 AM   #833  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

This cracked me up that you bought it twice and still didn't like it! I thought I was the only slow-learner.

I seem to second guess myself a lot. I decide I really don't like something (not just stamp stuff, books, clothes, etc.) Then I start thinking that I didn't really give it a proper chance. So I recheck the book from the library, or re-buy whatever it was - and guess what, I was right the first time! :mrgreen:

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2010, 12:37 PM   #834  
Rubber Obsessor

Talking

Quote:

Originally Posted by TxfarmgirlView Post
Ha Ha Ha- Thanks for the great laugh. I needed that!!!
:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2010, 02:05 PM   #835  
Embossing Fanatic

an accucut machine. too big and bulky and the dies are too expensive. have hardly used! love my cuttlebug though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2010, 02:48 PM   #836  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjgrittsView Post
I wish I new what all the short forms meant.. then i would know if I regret any of them. lol

Go here to see the definitions of the TLA (three letter acronym) - sorry I had to add one just for grins :smile:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2010, 02:51 PM   #837  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I keep wanting to convince myself that the my expression and the cartridges are worth it. It does come in handy when doing production work (multiple duplicate cuts) but if I'm really, really, really honest - it's a waste of space and money. I at the point where it doesn't make sense to sell it as I would lose too much money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2010, 03:23 PM   #838  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

If you are mainly wanting to cut out stamped images, you would probably be the happiest with a Big Kick/Big Shot and LOADS of Spellbinders Nestabilities!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2010, 04:25 PM   #839  
Polyshrink Goddess

My regrets would be stickers, i bought so many when I first started scrapping. I like stamped images so much more. Also my sizzix machine. I dont have alot of dies for it, and the sizzlet alaphabet. but they are so hard to cut properly. I am starting to love this nestabilities, the cards I am getting I beleive have portions used from it and loving the look. I was wondering if they work with the sizzix machine? If so I might actually use it now lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2010, 04:39 PM   #840  
Stampin' Fool

My Cricut Expression. Hate to admit this but I hardly use it. Yes, I'm nuts.
Reply With Quote Likes