Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-03-2008, 08:40 AM   #41  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought my first set of Prismacolor pencils (72ct). My question is, how do you store them? I know they came in plastic trays but it's hard to shut the lid if I leave the trays in the tin. I'm afraid to take them out of the trays and put them in the tin b/c I don't want them to bounce around. Maybe I am just crazy. Any help would be appreciated!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2008, 11:48 AM   #42  
Die Cut Diva

yes... every penny...then get gamsol... you will be hooked!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2008, 12:01 PM   #43  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pixie DustView Post
I just bought my first set of Prismacolor pencils (72ct). My question is, how do you store them? I know they came in plastic trays but it's hard to shut the lid if I leave the trays in the tin. I'm afraid to take them out of the trays and put them in the tin b/c I don't want them to bounce around. Maybe I am just crazy. Any help would be appreciated!
just be careful of the point. you don't want to have to sharpen them more than necessary. Bouncing around is OK, they are sturdy, just keep the tip from breaking. They are higher quality than any other colored pencil out there- it shows in the work you can make.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2008, 12:03 PM   #44  
Kookie Creator

btw, almost everything i did was colored pencil, BEFORE I got hooked on copics.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2008, 12:31 PM   #45  
Pearl-ExPert

I keep mine stored loose in a plastic pencil box.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2008, 02:11 PM   #46  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Prismacolor Verithins are have a harder lead than the other prismacolors. If you are using Gamsol you want the lead softer so the Gamsol can melt the wax in the pencil.

If you are doing heavy blending see pic below then you need a softer lead not the Verithins.

If you color lightly or sketch you proably would like the Verithins because the harder lead makes nice thin lines.

My preference is to buy individual regular prismacolors. They are worth the money and sets will give you too many colors that you may never use.
Attached Thumbnails
Are Prismacolor Pencils really worth the $$?-thunderbird.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2008, 03:58 PM   #47  
Gallery Gazer

Go to ebay and get the largest set that you can afford. I thought that I would NEVER use all 120 pencils in my set and I was wrong. Especially about the greys.....I thought "How in the world will I use all those greys" But I do! They are artist grade.....your cards ARE a work of art......get the best supplies you can for the best look. The wax and color saturation of the prismas is wonderful! Are there other pencils that are comparable? I can't answer that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2008, 04:11 PM   #48  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamps&carsView Post
Go to ebay and get the largest set that you can afford. I thought that I would NEVER use all 120 pencils in my set and I was wrong. Especially about the greys.....I thought "How in the world will I use all those greys" But I do! They are artist grade.....your cards ARE a work of art......get the best supplies you can for the best look. The wax and color saturation of the prismas is wonderful! Are there other pencils that are comparable? I can't answer that!
Ann I agree I love my Prismas! They are my favorite way to color and have to be the best investment I have made! Oh and the other great investment was the stumps I bought from you!

I agree, I could not believe the differences in the greys. I love having so many choices.

Friends are like the walls of a house. Sometimes they hold you up, sometimes you lean on them. But sometimes, it's enough to know they're just standing by.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2008, 04:19 PM   #49  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by McStamperView Post
Oh and the other great investment was the stumps I bought from you!
Thanks, Barb.......I still have #1 and #2 left from a recent share!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2008, 04:22 PM   #50  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
Prismacolor Verithins are have a harder lead than the other prismacolors. If you are using Gamsol you want the lead softer so the Gamsol can melt the wax in the pencil.

If you are doing heavy blending see pic below then you need a softer lead not the Verithins.

If you color lightly or sketch you proably would like the Verithins because the harder lead makes nice thin lines.

My preference is to buy individual regular prismacolors. They are worth the money and sets will give you too many colors that you may never use.
That's a great image.....reminds me of some of the images my friend colored when she took a pencil class from Terry Medaris (sp?).

I have very few colors that I haven't used in my 120 set. I figure if I spend $50 or so getting the 120 set off ebay or spend $50 getting 50 or less pencils purchasing them one by one I could not use half of the pencils in the set and still have a better deal getting the set! But it all depends on how much you will want to spend in the long run.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2008, 04:31 PM   #51  
Sassy Shani

How stinkin' funny that I ran across this thread. I have not used my pencils in a few months and I got them out last night. I have been coloring off and on all day.
Yep, worth the $$$$ IMO. :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2008, 04:39 PM   #52  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShanonView Post
How stinkin' funny that I ran across this thread. I have not used my pencils in a few months and I got them out last night. I have been coloring off and on all day.
Yep, worth the $$$$ IMO. :mrgreen:

Shanon!

I haven't seen ya in months! How's ya doin' girlfriend? love your pic with Chris! You look awfully happy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2008, 06:05 PM   #53  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikemarkersView Post
just be careful of the point. you don't want to have to sharpen them more than necessary. Bouncing around is OK, they are sturdy, just keep the tip from breaking. They are higher quality than any other colored pencil out there- it shows in the work you can make.
The secret is DON'T DROP THEM! Being colored pencils, the lead is softer than a regular lead pencil. Therefore, the lead will break easily inside the wood. If broken, it is very hard to sharpen into a good point. I bought my big tin w/ 50% coupon at Michaels. I was close to breaking out into a rash til I could get them home and sharpen them. I was soo scared that someone had dropped the tin. Since then, I have bought several single pencils to increase my colors. Hint- when buying singly, look at the end of the pencil. Be sure the lead is centered so you can sharpen properly.
I bought a sturdy white plastic box w/ pink handle on the lid, not unlike a tackle box, at Hobby Lobby w/ 40% coupon. It has pink latches, 2 storage compartments on top and a pink tray inside. I lined it, bottom & sides, w/ some soft, dense foam and used it to take my pencils, OMS, etc. on vacation last year. I cut a foam divider so I could put everything but pencils in the smaller end. I had sorted my pencils by color and rubber banded each group together. I like it so much that this has become their permanent home. Now they're ready to go this year. I also bought some of that perforated rubbery shelf liner at my dollar store. I lay it out on the table and lay my pencil bundles on it. Now theres no stray pencils rolling toward the edge!!
You could buy a few to see if you like the technique.. then I'd go for the biggest set you can afford!! Ann is soo right.. I use all my grays. At first I thought.. why so many grays! lol
I've bought from Ann's Stump Share 2 times. They're great stumps!!
May God bless, Sandi

Last edited by SouthernStorm; 04-03-2008 at 06:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2008, 06:18 PM   #54  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, they are absolutely worth it. I use them for 90% of my coloring. I couldn't afford to buy the big set in the tin, so I bought a smaller set and am buying 20-25 a month at www.markersupply.com. Soon I'll have them all. I keep mine standing up in a decorated can.

Oh, and I've never used gamsol. I'm perfectly happy with the Prismacolor blender pencil.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2008, 06:42 PM   #55  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by greetingsbydebraView Post
Yes, they are absolutely worth it. I use them for 90% of my coloring. I couldn't afford to buy the big set in the tin, so I bought a smaller set and am buying 20-25 a month at www.markersupply.com. Soon I'll have them all. I keep mine standing up in a decorated can.

Oh, and I've never used gamsol. I'm perfectly happy with the Prismacolor blender pencil.
Hay Debra! Reading all the raves about *Gamsol Magic* here on SCS is what convinced me to initially try the technique. I bought about 5 pencils and the Mona Lisa brand of OMS, in the artist section, at Michael's w/ my 40% coupon. My Wal-Mart Super Store also has it in the craft section. Just the other day, I was checking the indiv. pencils to see if Mikes had any new ones (no, they didn't) so I picked up my 1st P. blender pencil. After working w/ it for a while, I became very frustrated. It just did not give me the smooth blended look as I get w/ OMS. In fact, I wouldn't say it blended very well at all. It was like there was way too much wax. If you get a chance to try someone's OMS, do it! You just may fall head over heels. JMHO! May God bless, Sandi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2008, 06:44 PM   #56  
Sassy Shani

Hi sweetie. I just popped back around here and saw your post. We haven't talked in FOREVER. A ton of changes in our lives (obviously). ;) We are doing great! We will have to get together SOON!

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamps&carsView Post
Shanon!

I haven't seen ya in months! How's ya doin' girlfriend? love your pic with Chris! You look awfully happy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2008, 02:57 AM   #57  
Crimping Master

OMG ...enablers.I think I'm going to pick up some Prismas today.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2008, 10:23 AM   #58  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yep..just bid on a set on Ebay...no fair bidding on same set...lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2008, 07:48 AM   #59  
Polyshrink Goddess

Well, we were hemming and hawing over whether to buy these or save up for the markers. (I liked the finished look of markers better), but I think I am heading to Michaels to pick up a few of the pencils and give them a try first.
This was a great thread. Thanks for all the info!!!!

Hugs,
Paula
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2008, 05:20 PM   #60  
Pearl-ExPert

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmac96View Post
I just recently started stamping but am having trouble finding a way to color that I like. After reading up, I am really interested in using colored pencils with gamsol or another odorless mineral spirit. Usually when I read about this technique, it's in use with Prismacolor pencils. They are really pricy though! The only pencils I have right now are the cheapy ones from Walmart. (Roseart I think.) So I am considering getting the Prismacolors, but I want to be sure they are really worth it! What is your experience with them? Worth the $$? Do they last long? Also, what set would you suggest -- the 72 count or the 120? The frugal side of me says to just get the 72, but then I figure, if I am going to spend the $$, bite the bullet and get the bigger set! But is 120 overload? Will I really use all those colors? HELP! WWYD? TIA for any help!
You'll love them if you get them as the quality is just the best and you get what you pay for. I've used others that I can get here in UK but the prismas beat them all on the initial colour lay-down as they are so soft. They blend beautifully too. I've always used water colours previously but I'm addicted to the prismas now. I initially bought a set of 12 to see if I liked them and immediately wished I'd gone for a bigger set as you then get the graduation of colour tones for shading. My friend has just been on a holiday to the USA, had a fab time and has brought me back a set of 72 because I'm always raving about them LOL! Mine were bought at Michaels where they are on special offer at the moment. I can't wait to start using all the additional colours. I hope this helps you decide.
My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2008, 08:16 PM   #61  
Mad Swapper

At the risk of being tarred and feathered , I have tried Prismas and I don't like them as well as I like the Koh-i-noor woodless pencils. In my comparison tests the Koh-i-noors lay down smoother color and blend much better and they are so much cheaper. You can get 24 for around $14.00 at Michael's.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2008, 03:15 AM   #62  
Insane Embellisher

I was using Crayola colored pencils for awhile and they did fine. Prismacolors took my coloring to a whole new level. They work great on watercolor paper..you do have to build up layers however. I don't even use Gamsol anymore because once you build the colors up you can use a pencil to blend or the Prismacolor colorless blender. Another cool technique is to undercoat with Copics or watercolor so you don't have to build up the colored pencil as much.

The Verithins are nice too to lay down some color in tight spots. I have more control with them in small areas. I find that the hardness and softness of the regular Prismacolors vary with the color.

Around here Ben Franklin has the lowest price. Check out my gallery to see some samples!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2008, 07:38 AM   #63  
Polyshrink Goddess

Well, after reading all the additional posts on this, I am now terrified. It seems like a very complicated process...(building up the colors), using gamasol etc.
I still may get a few at michaels, but now I am concerned that I am getting in way over my head.

Paula
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2008, 07:46 AM   #64  
Embossing Fanatic

for the sake of sounding like an idiot!! I've read of gamasol but what exactly is it or do? Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2008, 09:12 AM   #65  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Thank you, thank you, thank you, for that link! I was able to order colors I was missing

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2008, 04:23 PM   #66  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by missscrapsView Post
for the sake of sounding like an idiot!! I've read of gamasol but what exactly is it or do? Thanks!!!
You can find Gamsol here.
You can use a paper stump
to push the color around and blend it.

Hope that helped.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2008, 06:03 PM   #67  
Gallery Gazer

I like the idea of baby oil better, so do you use it just like you would the gamsol?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2008, 02:41 PM   #68  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

So you dont necissarily have to use the gamsol? How does the Prismacolor blender pencil work? I am not having much luck with the gamsol technique.

I would love all the help I can get.

Thanks
Jaunice Minor
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2008, 02:56 PM   #69  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Swapper of the Month November 2012

Received 205 Likes on 158 Posts

Haven't tried the blender pencil bit the type of paper is key---what are you using?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2008, 03:06 PM   #70  
Polyshrink Goddess

well I am actually not sure... It was just an image that was sent to me. So what paper should I use?

Hugs
Jaunice Minor
Utah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2008, 03:23 PM   #71  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkminorView Post
So you dont necissarily have to use the gamsol? How does the Prismacolor blender pencil work? I am not having much luck with the gamsol technique.

I would love all the help I can get.

Thanks
Jaunice Minor
I'm not crazy about the prismacolor blender but it can come in handy. It will not give you the watercolor blended look (i.e., Gamsol technique). I actually prefer to color with just blending the pencils without gamsol. When doing heaving coloring the blender pencil can help move the colors to blend them.

To get a good gamsol/watercolor look there are a lot of different ways, but I prefer the inkyantics method. They have a great tutorial online.

As for paper, I get good results on SU! ww and just plain old 80lb cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2008, 03:40 PM   #72  
Gallery Gazer

I bought mine thru a fellow SCSer and LOVE them! I use the blender pen from SU and I also used baby oil, which was suggested on one of these forums. I totally agree with stamphappy1650 on the SU paper!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2008, 04:43 PM   #73  
Matboard Maniac

I used the gamsol technique and it just wasn't for me. I've been using the prisamacolor blending pencil and like that, but I end up with these tiny little shards of color from blending and if I'm not careful when trying to get rid of them, they smear.... ugh! How frustrating.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2008, 04:10 PM   #74  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
Yep..just bid on a set on Ebay...no fair bidding on same set...lol
OK, I won :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=130225375159

this set on ebay. Hope I'm not disappointed!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2008, 04:56 PM   #75  
Matboard Maniac

Good heavens to Betsy!! You'll have to give us a tutorial on all those different pencils! I bet you love the Prismas -- Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2008, 05:37 PM   #76  
Rubber Obsessor

If a good-sized handful are worthwhile, quality pencils, I'll feel like it was worth it =)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2008, 05:41 PM   #77  
Forum Fanatic

I guess I am in the minority here, also...I bought some single Prismas and I had a set of Derwent, and I don't see any difference. Now, I am in no way an "artist" like some of you, so perhaps that is why. I do like the idea of getting the colors I want in the Prismas, instead of whatever set they choose to put together, so I did buy a few just to have the colors I wanted. But I don't really notice any difference in look or feel.
I also haven't had much luck with the whole Gamsol technique, in that my paper tends to peel off if I used enough to get a good blend. Otherwise, it just looks like lines instead of watercolor to me. I like how the color pops but I don't like how it blends. I'm going to try the baby oil and GooGone that have been suggested...
At any rate, I second the idea of getting a few to try first, and then you'll know.

"Sir, my concern is not whether God is on our side; my greatest concern is to be on God's side, for God is always right�--Lincoln
Reply With Quote Likes