Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-21-2008, 08:06 PM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips for sending to Canada???

I'm in the process of sending some things (packages) to Canada and I would so appreciate any tips you can share about getting items sent there! what is the best way to mail them, etc....

Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2008, 08:31 PM   #2  
Glitter Queen

Depends on what you are trying to ship. If you ship via UPS, you will most certainly get hit with brokerage charges (about $70). If you ship with United States Postal Service, you will probably get it across the border without much hassle, but it will take longer and may be inspected anyway. Depending on what you are bringing in, it may be subject to duty and will likely be charged GST. If you can get someone to ship it as a gift, you might get around this.

Last edited by Jovi; 01-22-2008 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: Promotional / Removed OP Store
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2008, 08:59 PM   #3  
Glitter Guru

I should have been more clear in my first post...I'm actually sending some stamp sets up to Canada.

So from what you said it sounds like USPS is the way to send them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2008, 09:22 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I ship to Canada several times a week.

USPS via 1st Class International (AIRMAIL) is usually the best way to ship. Be sure to fill out the 2976 green/white custom's form (you can even fill it out online). If the item weighs UNDER 13 oz--you can adhere postage stamps and drop in the Mail Box. Over 13oz, you need to hand it to a Postal Clerk if you have Postage Stamps on it or you will need to wait in line if you pay at the counter for a Meter Strip Postage.

Stamps are pretty sturdy, I ship them in a poly-envelope or Tyvek envelope or Bubble Mailer--this helps keep postage costs down. It is pretty inexpensive to ship to Canada. You can review the cost on USPS.com--if you know the weight.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2008, 09:45 PM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by banana.cream.pieView Post
I ship to Canada several times a week.

USPS via 1st Class International (AIRMAIL) is usually the best way to ship. Be sure to fill out the 2976 green/white custom's form (you can even fill it out online). If the item weighs UNDER 13 oz--you can adhere postage stamps and drop in the Mail Box. Over 13oz, you need to hand it to a Postal Clerk if you have Postage Stamps on it or you will need to wait in line if you pay at the counter for a Meter Strip Postage.

Stamps are pretty sturdy, I ship them in a poly-envelope or Tyvek envelope or Bubble Mailer--this helps keep postage costs down. It is pretty inexpensive to ship to Canada. You can review the cost on USPS.com--if you know the weight.

Thanks for posting with this info...I've been feeling bogged down by the USPS site. Though I do agree it is great if you know the weight of your item. That's the problem, I don't know how much these things weigh and I'm terrible with guesstimating!!! :rolleyes: I'm seriously thinking of invensting in a postal scale.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2008, 09:49 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I love my Postal Scales--I have two! I bought my Digital one on ebay--arrived in TWO days (by USPS Priority!). I recommend having one-even if you don't ship very often. I paid under $20 for mine. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2008, 09:52 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

make sure you put it as a gift otherwise we get dinged for g.s.t or something like that there was a post about postal issues not sure where though...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2008, 09:57 PM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinakdudeView Post
make sure you put it as a gift otherwise we get dinged for g.s.t or something like that there was a post about postal issues not sure where though...
I was wondering about that too. So I'll make sure to mark gift in the customs form.

Just wondering...if you happened to put a receipt of note of thanks in with the package and it was marked as 'gift' would they make you pay duty on it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2008, 10:02 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by godchickView Post
I was wondering about that too. So I'll make sure to mark gift in the customs form.

Just wondering...if you happened to put a receipt of note of thanks in with the package and it was marked as 'gift' would they make you pay duty on it?
Alana- I sent you two PM/email. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 02:55 AM   #10  
Inking Addict

It is up to you if you mark it as a gift or not; I'm sure the recipient would appreciate it. If you are uncomfortable with that, just make sure you mark the value as only what was paid. The value is the amount that customs is levied against and if you say, inflate the value for insurance, in case the package gets lost, the duty is on that inflated value. Since Stampin Up stamps are made in the US (I think that is correct?), they should be duty free under NAFTA anyway. Good luck.

Amber
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 03:06 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by godchickView Post

If you put a receipt or a note saying "thanks for the purchase", if Customs opens the package, they will know that it was not a gift and the person will get dinged with taxes. However, for all the 100s of packages I have received from the US, I have rarely had to pay the taxes etc. So, if you do not feel comfortable marking it as a gift, you dont need to. Just put the value of the stamp set (and if possible keep that under $20). Sending by USPS is definitely the way to go ... if you send it by UPS, we definitely get hit hard at this end and it makes it so not worth it. Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 03:12 AM   #12  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

As someone who recieves probably several packs of stamps from the US per week ( embarressing ) - and I purchase from ebay, as well as many online stamping outlets - Frantic Stamper, HM Stamps , A Muse, Addicted to rubber stamps - the chances of customs charging taxes ( for us, the GST plus PST - about 14 % seem to be very rare and just a flukey thing. I think for every 30 packages, I might get charged taxes. The post office then adds on 5 dollars for collecting the paltry taxes. But - it is not a big concern to me, and does not happen often at all.

I would only have it sent USPS - as another poster noted - you'd pay huge fees at a brokerage etc etc. Sometimes is is worth my money to pay for an expedited package, it that is possible, but mainly I get my stuff by priorty or just airmail.

Times really vary with both USPS and Priorty - though priority is definitely faster. I do not get worried about my package until 4weeks has elasped. Often things come sooner.. but you just never know. Seems to be very random as to time for shipping.

Hope that helps from a Canadian perspective. And - we pay FAR more to ship even within Canada - so your rates seem good to us.

I never ask anyone to put gift on an item - if I were the sender, I wouldn't want any trouble with the US border services on your side.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 04:37 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

If it's not a gift, use the lowest $$ value you feel comfortable with. The lower the package is valued at, the lower the changes for being dinged with gst.

I like the cheapest method. My PO Box doesn't seem to get any faster shipping between first class and priority.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2008, 08:12 AM   #14  
Glitter Guru

Thanks for all your posts...it's really helpful to hear others experiences and perspectives.
Reply With Quote Likes