Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-18-2007, 05:40 PM   #81  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jewish Cardmaking 101

'nother bump so I can subscribe
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2007, 11:08 AM   #82  
dal
Kookie Creator

I have lots of the kosher creative charms, I have been making them into bracelets & necklaces - a great gift idea for Bat Mitzvahs and Hanukkah ( I am making one for our lady Rabbi).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2007, 09:53 PM   #83  
Crimping Master

Thank you so much for your tact and thoughtfulness! This was so interesting to read!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2007, 06:43 PM   #84  
Polyshrink Goddess

So I decided to take this entire thread and attempt to condense it into my blog, starting with my initial posting... kinda like a Jewish Stamping FAQ/Reference guide... blog link in my signature..

Please keep the great ideas rolling...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2007, 06:56 AM   #85  
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Skype™ to StampinLeslie

Great blog! I think it will be a terrific resource for both Jewish and non-Jewish stampers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2007, 07:57 AM   #86  
Watercolor Wizard

Great resource Shayla!

I have a question for you, but didn't want to ask it 'wrong' on your blog and cause you any difficulty.

You explained that most Jews would adhere to the practice that a card containing the word G-d cannot be simply thrown out but must be disposed of in a special way.

Would most Jews consider that special disposal requirement to apply if, in the card,

* the word is not actually spelled out? (for example, the sentiment reads 'G-d Be With You', with a hyphen in the place of the omitted vowel)

* if you are referring to G-d by a title rather than by name? (as in 'As for me and my house, we will serve the ----'.)

* if you use another symbol (instead of a hyphen) in place of the omitted vowel? (Like '*' or a flower or a Star of David).

Please forgive me if any of the examples offered would be inappropriate--I certainly mean no offense.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2007, 09:09 AM   #87  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollylogicView Post
You explained that most Jews would adhere to the practice that a card containing the word G-d cannot be simply thrown out but must be disposed of in a special way.
Personally, I've only found this to be true when G-d's name is spelled out in HEBREW, not in English. But I like the idea of using a Jewish star instead of the "o".

Yapha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2007, 12:26 PM   #88  
Polyshrink Goddess

I think your going to get many answers to that question depending on who you ask... I am reform so to me I still stamp using the name of G-D although I have none with the name in hebrew - I have to agree that this is probably going to be the most agreed upon...

I have a question for you, but didn't want to ask it 'wrong' on your blog and cause you any difficulty.

Would most Jews consider that special disposal requirement to apply if, in the card,

* the word is not actually spelled out? (for example, the sentiment reads 'G-d Be With You', with a hyphen in the place of the omitted vowel)

Personally, I think you could get away with this - since I know my temple does it with printed information... Maybe someone who is orthodox or conservative can chime in on what they know...

* if you are referring to G-d by a title rather than by name? (as in 'As for me and my house, we will serve the ----'.)

I think again we are looking at the same answer above...

* if you use another symbol (instead of a hyphen) in place of the omitted vowel? (Like '*' or a flower or a Star of David).

again, I only have the same answer. :(

Please forgive me if any of the examples offered would be inappropriate--I certainly mean no offense.

Please do ask these questions! This is a learning experience for all of us including me (and I even started this thread). I'm hoping someone else will chime in and give us their perspective of their branch of Judaism... then again I could always go to askmoses.com and ask a Rabbi...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2007, 01:41 PM   #89  
Watercolor Wizard

LOL, how could one go wrong if they go ask Moses?

Thanks for your insight, Shayla--and Yapha!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2007, 01:48 PM   #90  
dal
Kookie Creator

I just asked our two Rabbis (Conservative) about writing God. First, God is an English word so it does not matter, second God is not the "name" of God and you only have to be concerned with writing in Hebrew the "name" of God. Even in Hebrew most people do not spell out the full name of God and use alternate words that are accepted as substitutes for the name of God.
So in the end they said on a card, in English, don’t worry G-d or God is fine and the card can be tossed out without any problem (Religious problem that is – tossing out a wonderful handmade card is a sin of an entirely different sort!).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2007, 02:26 PM   #91  
Embossing Fanatic

I just wanted to say that this thread has been so interesting. I am always wanting to learn more about Judiasm because if there were no Jews there would be no Jesus and no Christianity. I wish all Christians could be convinced to sit down and learn a little about our roots. Thank you for all of the wonderful insight and information!

"So if the Son makes you free you will be free indeed." John 8:36
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2007, 02:15 PM   #92  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

I am looking for some suggestions/advice here. I am considering joining a card swap on another noncraft board I belong to. However, several people already in the swap have indicated that they will not accept anything other that "Happy Chanukah" cards. (I can choose not to send to those people, but I'd feel bad if I sent to everyone else except them.) What kind of images/colours can one use for these? Note: I do not have any jewish themed stamps, and I don't think I have a candle stamp either. I definitely do not have a "Happy Chanukah" stamp. Buying anything at this point is out of the question. Given the fact they have specified "Happy Chanukah" only, would using "Happy Holidays" be offensive?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2007, 03:36 PM   #93  
Watercolor Wizard

Do you have an alphabet set?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2007, 03:53 PM   #94  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnemoneView Post
I am looking for some suggestions/advice here. I am considering joining a card swap on another noncraft board I belong to. However, several people already in the swap have indicated that they will not accept anything other that "Happy Chanukah" cards. (I can choose not to send to those people, but I'd feel bad if I sent to everyone else except them.) What kind of images/colours can one use for these? Note: I do not have any jewish themed stamps, and I don't think I have a candle stamp either. I definitely do not have a "Happy Chanukah" stamp. Buying anything at this point is out of the question. Given the fact they have specified "Happy Chanukah" only, would using "Happy Holidays" be offensive?
If the rules of the swap specifically state that it has to say Happy Chanukah, then I would go with Happy Chanukah. I don't think Happy Holidays would do. Could you maybe print the sentiment from your computer? Or if you'd like, I have a Happy Chanukah stamp. pm me and we can arrange for me to send you some images. I don't think it will fit in the word window punch, though. Another thought is maybe some Happy Chanukah ribbon. I did a card for my holiday SAS that used some fun ribbon my friend sent me. As far as colors, anything goes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2007, 03:56 PM   #95  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by dalView Post
I just asked our two Rabbis (Conservative) about writing God. First, God is an English word so it does not matter, second God is not the "name" of God and you only have to be concerned with writing in Hebrew the "name" of God. Even in Hebrew most people do not spell out the full name of God and use alternate words that are accepted as substitutes for the name of God.
So in the end they said on a card, in English, don�t worry G-d or God is fine and the card can be tossed out without any problem (Religious problem that is � tossing out a wonderful handmade card is a sin of an entirely different sort!).
My Rabbi says the same thing dal. I grew up always using the "-" in the middle, but the Conservative movement has decided that since it's in English it doesn't matter if you use the "o" or not, because either way, it's still not G-d's name. And if you copy pages from the Etz Hayim or Siddur, because it's a copy, it's not really G-d's name either and can be thrown away.

And I totally agree with your last statement!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2007, 05:22 PM   #96  
CBC Lady Violet

I do have an alphabet set - but, its Headline Alpha so Happy Chanukah won't fit on a card.
To clarify, the rules of the swap don't specify Happy Chanukah, its just that a handful of people involved have specifically requested no Christmas cards, Chanukah only.
I have Big on Christmas and Snowflake Spot. Would something done with a snowflake background and the Let it Snow stamp from Big on Christmas be acceptable do you think?
The computer! Now why didn't I think of printing it out? Thanks for the idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2007, 05:28 PM   #97  
Stazon Splitcoast

Do you have any birthday sets with a candle? You could maybe stamp 9 candles across the bottom of the card to represent a menorah? IMHO, snowflakes don't mean Chanukah to me. They mean generic holiday card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2007, 05:37 PM   #98  
CBC Lady Violet

I might have a candle stamp but I'm not certain. What other images would be acceptable?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2007, 05:51 PM   #99  
Stazon Splitcoast

Typically, the symbols of Chanukah are the menorah, oil, dreidel, letters from the dreidel, chocolate coins (gelt), latkes, and jelly donuts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2007, 08:50 PM   #100  
Pearl-ExPert

I would be ok w/a happy holiday card, but if people want only Hanukkah, Chanukah, Chanukkah, (sorry just had to do that!) cards I'd go w/that. I would be careful w/snow flakes, and snowmen. If it snows where you live they are symbols of winter, however if you live on the west coast or in an area where there is not any snow they are Christmas symbols.

I've seen nice candle cards done w/ cut paper made into candle sticks (paper craft magazine?). good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2007, 05:57 AM   #101  
Pearl-ExPert

Great information - thanks for posting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2007, 06:37 AM   #102  
Kookie Creator

You could also make a Star of David by cutting out 2 triangles, turn 1 upside down and place on top of the other. If you have foil or fancy paper, that would make it fancier. Use the computer to print Happy Chanukah(all spellings are OK) and attach below the star with brads. You could also attach the triangles with a brad in the center. Make the Happy Chanukah a tag and attach with string to the brad on the star. FYI-Stars of David are 6 pointed
stars. That's why 2 triangles work. When I was a child, Chanukah candles were primary rainbow colors. However if I were making the card I described, I would use blue, gold, or silver colors. this is pretty simple but could be quite elegant. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2007, 07:15 AM   #103  
Gallery Gazer

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinCPAView Post
Do you have any birthday sets with a candle? You could maybe stamp 9 candles across the bottom of the card to represent a menorah? IMHO, snowflakes don't mean Chanukah to me. They mean generic holiday card.

That was the best I could do a few years ago too....I kinda like it beter than most of the Hanukkah sets offered.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:35 AM   #104  
Crafting. Procrastinating. Caffeinating.

Received 379 Likes on 324 Posts

Cute card, Disneywed!

You might also find some Hanukkah wrapping paper at the $1 store to use as patterened paper. Every now and again I see Hanukkah stuff at the $1 store. Also, you can carve a triangle or candle stamp pretty easily out of a potato. You might want to use paint instead of ink to stamp with, I don't know what potato juice will do to a nice ink pad. We've done holiday potato stamping as a kid's craft several times. You can also do a search for free public domain Jewish clip art.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but vice versa the bad things don’t always spoil the good things, or make them unimportant. - The Eleventh Doctor
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2007, 02:50 PM   #105  
CBC Lady Violet

I live in southern Ontario, so it definitely snows here!
Thanks for the suggestions/help everybody!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2007, 03:33 PM   #106  
Stazon Splitcoast

Great card Disneywed! Anemone, please post whatever you come up with!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2007, 04:00 PM   #107  
Pearl-ExPert

Disneywed,
great card! I saw some paper goods, plates and napkins that had the same feel at bed bath and beyond.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2007, 01:50 PM   #108  
Mad Swapper

Default Jewish Card Making

Thank you so much for this post! I read a post a week or so ago where there was a discussion about no new Jewish SU stamps and was looking for that post again when I find yours. I made my Chanukah cards today and uploaded them to my gallery to share with my SCS friends. I've been married to my Jewish husband for 14 years and am always searching for new, creative ideas for cards for him and our Jewish friends. I checked out your gallery - the cards are beautiful and have really given me some good ideas. Thank you, and may you have a wonderful holiday.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2007, 03:40 PM   #109  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 661 Likes on 344 Posts

Hi...I am not Jewish, but I bought the SU Hebrew Holidays Set, because I wanted to make Hanakah cards for a few people I know who are Jewish. I would like to know if Menorahs are usually Gold or Silver, so I can stamp it with the right color on my card. Thanks in advance! :-) LM

Psalm 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2007, 03:47 PM   #110  
Gallery Gazer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Depends upon if you want to Biblically correct. Since the menorah is based the lampstand made out of gold for the Tabernacle, they should be gold. However, I have seen menorahs out of gold, pottery, etc. Actually if you want to Biblically correct you would have to add almond flowers also. Read Exodus somewhere around chapters 33-38 (I'm going from memory), actually the instructions for the Tabernacle are given twice in Exodus.
So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. 1 Cor 10:31
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2007, 04:00 PM   #111  
Die Cut Diva

Menorahs can be any color you want. As long as your cards aren't red and green ;) you should be fine. That is very thoughtful of you.

Yapha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-29-2007, 04:30 PM   #112  
Polyshrink Goddess

I've updated my blog with some other stuff aside from this post if anyone is intersted. Keep it coming - we have only a few days left before Hanukkah to come up with some more ideas
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2007, 08:28 AM   #113  
Forum Fanatic

SU is retiring Hebrew Holidays. I hope this means the new catalog will have another Judaica themed set!

Happy Hanukkah! (My preferred spelling, LOL)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2007, 08:41 AM   #114  
Polyshrink Goddess

My preferred spelling too - because I thought it was right from the beginning - it's all I ever saw

Although I'm not thrilled about that stamp set (I do have it), I'm sad to see it go... well.... maybe not... bring on the new one !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2007, 09:05 AM   #115  
Compulsive Stamper

Jeez, thanks for posting this! I have had some requests for Hanukkah cards and often wondered if I should consider making for other Jewish holidays. This is a great resource!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2007, 11:44 AM   #116  
Forum Fanatic

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crafty Math ChickView Post
SU is retiring Hebrew Holidays. I hope this means the new catalog will have another Judaica themed set!

Happy Hanukkah! (My preferred spelling, LOL)
I hope they come out with a good one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2007, 12:09 PM   #117  
Die Cut Diva

And I hope there will be one in this catalog, and not have to wait for the next Fall/Winter one!

Yapha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2007, 12:29 PM   #118  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Yeah, I've never been crazy about Hebrew Holidays; "Happy Pesach" and "Happy Rosh Hashanah" never made sense to me. Also can't quite figure out why the last two Judaic sets have included that dove - I can think of a lot of other images I'd consider before the dove.

I'm finally ordering Hebrew Holidays now 'cause it's retiring. My bar/bat mitzvah go-to set has been L'Chayim - the torah scroll particularly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2007, 01:39 PM   #119  
Gallery Gazer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Why not a dove? It first appeared in in Genesis. The bird that Noah sent out to see if the waters had subsided.
So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. 1 Cor 10:31
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2007, 02:05 PM   #120  
Polyshrink Goddess

I love the idea of doves - and have quite a few stamps to proove it... but I also think that what was meant is that it seems doves are the only stamp that is ever made whenever someone makes a "jewish" stamp... need some variety
Reply With Quote Likes