Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

View Poll Results: Check all that you think a good demo would do.
Place my order within 3 days. 281 78.06%
Place my order within 10 days. 45 12.50%
Deliver my order. 165 45.83%
Make sure I get minis right away. 245 68.06%
Cut/mount my stamps. 16 4.44%
Offer classes/camps. 272 75.56%
Hook up people to split sets. 20 5.56%
Give freebies for bringing new customers. 114 31.67%
Tell me if I can get things cheaper elsewhere. 135 37.50%
Give a catty if you promise to order $150 for the year. 141 39.17%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 360. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-28-2006, 07:00 PM   #41  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My closest local demo lets us pay when the order arrives!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2006, 07:01 PM   #42  
Mad Swapper

BTW, I should add that I would never cancel and order and mess up the whole deal for everyone concerned. I cannot imagine people actually doing this for any good reason whatsoever!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2006, 07:02 PM   #43  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by annabelle1974
My closest local demo lets us pay when the order arrives!
Then she has the money to front for you....everyone doesn't.

We shouldn't have expectations of others that we, ourselves, could not fulfill.

my blog: hownowbrownkow
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2006, 07:04 PM   #44  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by annabelle1974
BTW, I should add that I would never cancel and order and mess up the whole deal for everyone concerned. I cannot imagine people actually doing this for any good reason whatsoever!
Whether the reason is *good* or not is not the issue....those are the rules and not following them (as a Demo) can leave you with merchandise in your hands and money out of your pocket IF someone cancels and you have not waited.

We shouldn't have expectations of others that we, ourselves, could not fulfill.

my blog: hownowbrownkow
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2006, 07:06 PM   #45  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by twyant
I took this poll as a customer. As a customer given the choice of 3 days or 10, I think naturally a customer would choose 3. I had no idea about all the other demo stuff. It's too bad that some take all of this so personally. I have thought of becoming a demo, but every time I see a thread regarding demos and customers, it doesn't look very enticing.
Being a demo is awesome! You just have to decide what you can & cannot afford to do for your customers. And even that changes as you grow! You'll read ALOT more happy posts than unhappy guaranteed! Good luck & can't wait to see you on "the other side". (demo forums!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2006, 07:28 PM   #46  
Cardstock Collector

Red face

There is so much to say for charm, personality, and being straighforward. That is proabably more important than anything on the list.
I do not mean to say the orders can be forgotten or there can be many mistakes. I am just saying if you love it, it will show. And, most often that is what people are looking for. I know I am. I want someone to love it, be excited, and show me what they know.....
I think the absolute honest, confident, genuine people, do the best. Anyone gritting their teeth through their workshops or classes, will be slowly recognized as someone that does not love it...not enough anyway...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2006, 07:48 PM   #47  
Pearl-ExPert

my former demo i never payed before i had my order in my hands (well i never ordered more than 60 dollars at once)

i felt that it was done usually the other way, but she didnt said anything and i think thats sort of a service i just take from her since she was otherwise bad. you dont go to a store and give money out of your wallet and get your stuff sometimes later. you dont even know when because it depends on her when she places the order.

just happens with me.
i placed an order almost 4 weeks ago and we are still waiting for that stuff since one lady had an order for 150 and trouble with her credit cards bla bla bla so the rest of us has to wait for the stuff we have payed already. well, the money is not in my bank account anymore!!!!

My SCS Gallery
My blog
: Pretty Pressings
Designer for Magnolia, Sweden, Lili of the Valley and Sir Stampalot
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2006, 07:55 PM   #48  
Inking Addict

Location: just trying to navigate through all the muck to get to the Good Stuff!

Quote:

I took this poll as a customer. As a customer given the choice of 3 days or 10, I think naturally a customer would choose 3. I had no idea about all the other demo stuff. It's too bad that some take all of this so personally. I have thought of becoming a demo, but every time I see a thread regarding demos and customers, it doesn't look very enticing.
I agree and have also been being pushed pretty hard by my group of stampers to take over as our demo when ours moves overseas but no one here will know it, I will forever drop off of the SCS boards...it turns me off, too. I think that the galleries must be a wonderful resource for demos but if feelings are so easily hurt or intents misread then, like I said, this wouldnt be the place for me, as a demo.

Now, as far as what a good demo should do or be, I also chose the ordering within 3 days option but I do expect that the demo would need to have your money first so it would be within 3 days of money clearing. Now, I don't think they should take the order on a Saturday and then not go to the bank until Friday, that would be a little excessive cause the money could be in my account gathering interest for those 5 days:-D But I also doubt that the majority of demos would do this unless there were some type of extenuating circumstances and then it should be told up front so no one has outrageous expectations. KWIM?
Each person has different expectations of their demo and the customer service they should recieve and as long as the 2 of them agree then it should be between them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2006, 08:48 PM   #49  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

I have thought of becoming a demo, but every time I see a thread regarding demos and customers, it doesn't look very enticing.
Don't let these sorts of threads make you think that this much drama exists in the Demo culture... The internet does something to our brains and makes all our conversations a little "edgy".:mrgreen: We are much sweeter in person.

Besides... being a demo for SU rocks. You will love it. I promise! It's all about the free stamps baby! Whoo hoo!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2006, 09:26 PM   #50  
Gallery Gazer

Location: The weeds are popping up, and I'm having asthma issues

None of those things really matter to me. My demo is my best friend and we share a hobby. I guess this kind of discussion just doesn't apply to me somehow. Anyway, it's interesting to see what others perceive as needs from their demo.
Leah SCS Member #38898
His Holy Name Challenge http://triplethescraps.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2006, 10:14 PM   #51  
Crimping Master

The wonderful thing about being a demo is that I can run my business the way I feel is best for me....and that includes providing personalized good custoer service. Customer service means something different to each of my customers.....and I do my best to represent SU! as the awesome company it is that provides top products. I do not feel that cutting stamps, finding people to split sets or some of the other choices are even something my customers want, much less consider asking me to do. I do place orders in a timely manner once their payment has cleared into my account...that's just good business practice. I often give my customers a little freebie as a thank you to them for coming to my house and picking up their orders from my pick up box .....they don't mind...and it saves me timel. As long as both parties are satisfied, that's the best I can offer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2006, 10:22 PM   #52  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

Okay, I'm still trying to figure out what her boobies have to do with being a good demo....

Er, the title of the thread.....

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2006, 10:44 PM   #53  
Stazon Splitcoast

Took the poll. I was kind shocked at home many people chose cut/mount. I don't think a demo should be doing that SU offers there stamps at a great price because we cut/moun ourselves. Secondly, A free catty should be offered to the hostess for having the party and that it's unless a customer has a good size order I would probably give them one. (I'm not a demo JMHO). Those are the only two qualitites that I wouldn't care if they did this or not.

Besides I'd rather have my demo getting ready for my Party or the next work shop then having her spend time cutting/mounting Suzie Q's stamp LOL..
exception: If the person getting the stamp order had a broken arm!!! JK, I'm just talking silly now.. Good night!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 12:27 AM   #54  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose
Okay, I'm still trying to figure out what her boobies have to do with being a good demo....

Her boobies have plenty to do with being a good demo... if they aren't large enough, and if she gets her bras from someplace that doesn't have the quality of Stampin' Up products, they won't provide the proper bounce when demonstrating generation stamping (stamping off). To do this technique, you 'bounce' the image onto the paper, being rubber it bounces back up - hitting the boobies, and bouncing back down for the second and third generations. You just can't do it without the proper *equipment*.

Hope this helps.

Dancing Rain

Proud to be a Stampin' Up! Demo... and a "Rubber Mutt"

~*~
Click here to Visit My Gallery
HeartPrints Welcome
A

Avatar: Photo taken Dec. 2006 at Wildlife Safari - Winston, OR
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 02:55 AM   #55  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My demo is fantastic. She doesn't even wait for me to order!! She looks at the catty, knows what I want and just ships it to me, carefully pre cut, mounted and delivered to my door. And, she pays for it too!

She mowed my lawn, took my cat to the vet, and pulled out my son's wisdom teeth. Got love her!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 03:42 AM   #56  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by DancingRain
Her boobies have plenty to do with being a good demo... if they aren't large enough, and if she gets her bras from someplace that doesn't have the quality of Stampin' Up products, they won't provide the proper bounce when demonstrating generation stamping (stamping off). To do this technique, you 'bounce' the image onto the paper, being rubber it bounces back up - hitting the boobies, and bouncing back down for the second and third generations. You just can't do it without the proper *equipment*.

Hope this helps.

Dancing Rain
*******************SPEW!!!************************

Hee hee...my demo does EVERYTHING for me! She cuts my stamps, delivers my orders...she even loads my dishwasher!!!!

OMGosh...she's me!!!! :mrgreen:

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 04:45 AM   #57  
Crimping Master

The last 3 posts cracked me up! You guys are so funny!

BTW, is there a poll about the qualities of a good customer?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 05:40 AM   #58  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan B
My demo is fantastic. She doesn't even wait for me to order!! She looks at the catty, knows what I want and just ships it to me, carefully pre cut, mounted and delivered to my door. And, she pays for it too!

She mowed my lawn, took my cat to the vet, and pulled out my son's wisdom teeth. Got love her!!

I don't mow lawns, but I have actually cleaned my customers teeth on occasion ;O)

"Something's gotta go wrong 'cause I'm feeling way too damn good." - Nickelback

"When Life hands you lemons, ask for salt and tequila and give me a call"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 05:58 AM   #59  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjc820
Yes, they do take credit cards, but I only have one credit card and keep it mostly for emergency use only. I prefer to do nearly all my transactions, with SU and with any other merchant, bank, etc. using cash and checks. I don't want to put anything on my credit card that I don't have to in order to avoid finance charges and all that. Say I put a $900 order from a customer on my credit card the day before my cc statement period ends. I then get charged finance charges on that $900 because I couldn't pay the credit card until the customer's money cleared into my bank account. I don't think demonstrators should be put in a position where they have to deal with that.
I for one don't even have this option as we as a family don't have a credit card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 06:01 AM   #60  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

ROTFL.....thanks for the laugh
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 06:36 AM   #61  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 2 demos and they are both awesome! One places my order immediately, and the other waits until she has enough for a hostess order. The difference is that I KNOW this is what she does, so I don't expect my order at any certain time. Honesty! That's really what counts.

About the cutting/mounting thing here's something to think about... I have carpal tunnel and it's difficult to cut and mount my stamps sometimes, do I ask my demo to do it, no, but there might be a time that I might need her too. Also what about people with arthritis? The cutting and mounting part can be very difficult, so they would want a demo who offers this service. PLUS some people just don't get the same enjoyment out of cutting and mounting their own stamps. They'd rather them be ready to go as soon as they get them, so if this means they'll buy more from a demo who cuts/mounts their stamps, then I would think a demo would be willing to do that for them.

Different strokes for different folks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 07:18 AM   #62  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I already posted on this topic but since the tide has turned to the topic of mounting customers' stamps, I will weigh in again... I do mount stamps for about 1/3 of my customers. I started for one lady as a favor and she told all her friends about it, and one other lady I do all hers because she is partially blind. I wish I'd never started with the first lady because now she has all her able-bodied friends ordering double-sided alphabets, which take me an average of an HOUR AND A HALF to mount correctly and neatly. I'm happy they bought an alphabet set, but do I need to start charging extra for mounting? I have two little kids and an hour and a half of "free time" is a LOT.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 07:40 AM   #63  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by DancingRain

Hope this helps.

Dancing Rain
SPEW!!!!! ROFLMAO!! Now that was good!

I'll have to try that technique, I have all the *equipment* for it...

:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 07:48 AM   #64  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by laurakj
About the cutting/mounting thing here's something to think about... I have carpal tunnel and it's difficult to cut and mount my stamps sometimes, do I ask my demo to do it, no, but there might be a time that I might need her too. Also what about people with arthritis? The cutting and mounting part can be very difficult, so they would want a demo who offers this service. PLUS some people just don't get the same enjoyment out of cutting and mounting their own stamps. They'd rather them be ready to go as soon as they get them, so if this means they'll buy more from a demo who cuts/mounts their stamps, then I would think a demo would be willing to do that for them.
For me, if I had a customer with Carpal Tunnel or Arthritis or something I would offer to cut their stamps for them. (I would also try to get them on my massage table, but that's another thread... :mrgreen But if I have a customer that just doesn't feel like doing it... I wouldn't be offering. Well, I *might* offer to do it for a fee... but I wouldn't be using my precious little time that I could be wasting here on SCS to cut someone else's stamps. That said, there have been times when I've put in orders for my SIL or friends, etc and have cut the stamps for them just to be nice, but that's not the norm.

Besides, people like their stamps cut and mounted in different ways. With my luck, I'd do it totally different from how the customer wanted and then the customer would just end up mad at me anyhow...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 08:08 AM   #65  
Insane Embellisher

I can tell you what makes our demo Chris Shively so great. We come she is prepared with our three projects. They are cut and ready to do. She explains each project then lets us go at it. She mingles (because she is also our friend), but makes sure she is there if we need help. For those of us who don't have much time, we can be in and out of there in 1-1 1/2 hours. She also is not pushy. I end up buying a set that she uses for our cards almost monthly. We are very lucky to have her.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 08:20 AM   #66  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

:lol::lol:

Quote:

Spew! Ok- ladies, stop with the funnies!

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 08:24 AM   #67  
Crimping Master

As a demo, I have to say that I found nothing negative about this poll. It was an eye-opener for me! I never would have considered that customers would be worried about when I placed their order. Some home parties I've been to, it was nearly a month before I received my order, so I always try to place the order as soon as I possibly can. This is a great thread -- all demos should be checking it out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 08:26 AM   #68  
Crimping Master

Oh, BTW, I always mount alphabet sets for my customers -- that's such a huge job -- and I tell them that anyone who might be nervous about mounting their own can either come over and I'll help them, or I'll do it for them. I know it was one thing that used to make me really nervous!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 10:00 AM   #69  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

My demo gives me a goodie bag with each order. I forget about them, and then when she comes with it, it is SUCH a treat. Snippets of ribbons and brads, in various colors. It is a very nice thing to do. ~~ Above and beyond~~
I use it all up, like a fiend, and often order more of something in there, that I like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 10:03 AM   #70  
Matboard Maniac

I think a good demo is a helpful demo. If I have a question about color choices or techniques she/he should be able to help me. Before I knew about SCS I would use my awesome demo as a resource. I still can, but can usually find an answer here!
Don't worry about tomorrow, each day has enough trouble of it's own. (Matthew 6:34)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 10:08 AM   #71  
Forum Fanatic

GWTW Junkie, if I were in your shoes I would stop offering that service except to the vision-impaired customer. A brief explanation of how many hours a month, or what proportion of your free time you are spending on it, might help them understand. As with husbands, your customers won't know how much they are imposing on you unless you tell them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 10:21 AM   #72  
Die Cut Diva

I chose place my order within 10 days because that is all I would really expect from a good demo. I appreciate (and my demo does) the many other items on the list but I did not select them because the question implies that if a demo does not do it, they would be a bad demo. I would only expect a free catalogue if my order was enough to recieve hostess benefits. That's $225 CAN. If it is $150 in the States I would have selected that too.
Why would I expect my demo to tell me there is something cheaper elsewhere when I don't expect it in any other stamp store. That is definately going above and beyond.

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss." - Jonathan Larson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 10:24 AM   #73  
Die Cut Diva

Also, when I first started buying stamps, I really appreciated having them mounted. Once I mounted my first stamp, I now prefer to mount myself. I don't think you would not be a good demo if you did not mount but it is good to have the option for the newbies.

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss." - Jonathan Larson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 11:19 AM   #74  
Mad Swapper

I always use Stampin' Up cardstock, give out inspiration sheets, buy one or two mini sets, email updates, learn new techniques.
And offer customer service, how many times have we heard people complain about other stores? I used to work at M's and I still have people calling me from their cell phone to ask where certain items are in the store because the people that work there can't find them.

Kelli
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 11:21 AM   #75  

Ahh, mounting stamps for others, I never understood this. It's not logical.

SU! stamps are CHEAPER BECAUSE they are unmounted. If someone wants pre-mounted stamps, they should compare stamp prices at their local store. Then they will have an idea of what a demo might want to charge for the service.

I have occasionally read where a demo has offered to mount someone's stamps for free because of some kind of disability the customer had. Yay for her. I applaud her kind heart and generous spirit.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 11:53 AM   #76  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

lol I totally missed that - Qualitities - trust you to find the typo and turn it around :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 11:59 AM   #77  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahloumel
GWTW Junkie, if I were in your shoes I would stop offering that service except to the vision-impaired customer. A brief explanation of how many hours a month, or what proportion of your free time you are spending on it, might help them understand. As with husbands, your customers won't know how much they are imposing on you unless you tell them.
Yep, I need to bite the bullet and tell them no. I find myself holding my breath when a customer orders an alphabet set because I am afraid she will ask me to mount it for her. I would love to do it, if I had endless free time and fingers of steel
My excuse for beginning it in the first place (for able-bodied customers) was that if it wasn't mounted right they wouldn't like it and therefore wouldn't buy any more. I still think that's true, but I need to teach them to do it right themselves so they are not dependent on me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 12:08 PM   #78  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

And, as more and more people vote, you can see that cutting out the stamps is not something people expect. That is way over the top IMO, and I would suggest only doing it for arthritic/disabled people....and then, perhaps for free. If they buy a good scissors most people can do just fine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 12:48 PM   #79  
Polyshrink Goddess

Mounting my new stamps is part of the FUN for me....Maybe I'm weird?!? There is NO WAY I'd let anyone else touch my fresh stamp set - it's like letting someone else stick their finger in a freshly opened jar of peanut butter first.....Not happening!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2006, 12:50 PM   #80  

Fresh peanut butter! LOL

Yes, you might try offering a "how to mount" class, if necessary, or when someone asks, tell them you'll be happy to show them how, do one or two, then they're on their own. I'm sure you'll do fine with it. Sounds like you are VERY nice to your customers.

Reply With Quote Likes