Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-23-2006, 08:54 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default organizational index

hello ladies i would like to create a loose leaf binder/index of my bf's mom's stamps. my wonderful bf is actually willing to help me! it will be her anniversary gift from the two of us. she's been saying for a while that she needs to know what she has instead of looking thru all of the bins she has. she will be on vacation for the next week and a half or so and i'd like to do it while she's away so we can surprise her. so if any of you have done this i'd love to know how you organized it and what exactly you did. i was thinking about stamping just plain paper and putting it in plastic sleves with some dividers catagorizing them like birthday floral etc....any input would be much appreciated! tia!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2006, 09:10 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

I bought a cute three-ring binder with flowers at Wal-Mart (found in office section). I then bought a ream of three-ring binder paper at Office Max, along with those thingies that look like life savers (to reinforce the holes). I also bought dividers, which I named the same as Stampin' Up's categories, but I also named one "miscellaneous" for all the odd-ball stamps. I then stamped each set (one to a page) and put it alphabetically in its category in the binder. Good luck on your project - your BF's mom is lucky!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2006, 10:14 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

that sounds about like what i was wanting to do....what ink did you use to stamp the sets with?...i was wanting to do it with stazon/something permanent so as to make it color fast should any water accidently spill on it or something like that (she has a 9y/o dd who is very active!) but i really don't want to stain all her stamps! lol...would the craft ink be a good choice or just the classic?...i think i may be thinking about this too much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2006, 12:48 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by girl4cupcake
hello ladies i would like to create a loose leaf binder/index of my bf's mom's stamps. my wonderful bf is actually willing to help me! it will be her anniversary gift from the two of us. she's been saying for a while that she needs to know what she has instead of looking thru all of the bins she has. she will be on vacation for the next week and a half or so and i'd like to do it while she's away so we can surprise her. so if any of you have done this i'd love to know how you organized it and what exactly you did. i was thinking about stamping just plain paper and putting it in plastic sleves with some dividers catagorizing them like birthday floral etc....any input would be much appreciated! tia!
I stamped mine with classic ink on plain paper (until I started making copies of the label sheets) and put them in the page protectors. I have various categories in separate three ring binders. This has worked well for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2006, 01:17 PM   #5  
Glitter Guru

I've been wanting to do this for myself for quite some time. :-) It's nice that you're going to do it for your BF's mom.

Now here's a thought. I'm not sure if it's okay or not (mods?) but could you just make a copy of the index cards in the gallery? Then slide it in a protective sleeve and add to a decorated (monogramed) binder.

If the moderators don't answer here, perhaps drop them a quick PM and ask.

It would be easier but then would take away the fun of doing them. Probably depends on how many you're talking about. :-) Hope this idea helps.

Have fun. I'm sure she'll love it!

Have a wonderful stamp-happy day!

Alexa says I'm her mommy's Pretend Stamping Friend....what an honor!

�What we do for Ourselves, dies with Us. What we do for Others and the World, Remains and is Immortal." ~ Albert Pike
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2006, 01:27 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess & DSS Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

What I've been doing is this:

With new sets, I copy the sticker page before it has been cut out. And for already used stamps, as I use them, I stamp off the entire set on a separate sheet of paper. Then I type up the information and print it on the top. I include the name, how many in the set, the year of the set, the catagory of the set and the list price and price I paid. Just so I know if I want to sell some ever.

I don't know how this will work with your gift to your BF's mom. But my three ringed binder is coming along very nicely!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2006, 01:34 PM   #7  
Splitcoast DirtyDozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would get page protectors. Keep checking office supply stores (Office Max, Office Depot, etc.) for sales. I bought mine when they were on sale -- buy one box, get one box free.

I'm sure your bf's mom will love you both for your thoughtfulness!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2006, 04:01 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I made an index book last year. I stamped in classic black - you might want to use grey instead if you're worried about staining. I wrote the name of the set on top of the sheet of paper and underlined it, and then stamped the images on the rest of the sheet - it's just computer paper. They're all in sheet protectors in a three ring binder and alphabetized, I found that's what works best for me. What a great thing you're doing for her!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2006, 05:19 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

i will definetly check the office stores for some good deals on the page protectors i to got some a while back that were buy a box get one for free. i think i'm gonna be doing the same thing for my stamps so i'll need quite a few! including the gallery indexes is intriguing...perhaps i'll do that as well. i like the idea of using grey ink it'd be kinda like the catty then!...i also thought of using different ink color by catagory like pink or something for flowers black for words green for nature etc...thanks for the input so far!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2006, 07:00 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also offer this suggestion. Any sentiments should also be stamped on pages labled by the type of sentiment. That way if you are using say Heartfelt Thanks, but you are using it as a sympathy card, you could see at a glance what sentiments you had.

that's my great idea for a rainy day - haven't done it yet though.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2006, 08:15 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

haha...jened you made me laugh! i am quickly seeing how this could get very complicated!....i think i'll keep it simple and then let her add that kinda thing if she wants. although it is a very nice idea and i will definetly do it with my personal index.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 01:44 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

I use a three ring binder and page protectors, too. That way it's easy to add new pages and, since I flip thru my book all the time, I don't have to worry about my pages getting dirty or tattered or ripped. I write the name of the set at the top of the page and I like to hand stamp each set so that all the images are right side up to make it easier to find a particular stamp. I stamp on 24 lb. weight computer printer paper because that's what I had, it's fairly cheap, and it handles ink well. I use Classic ink so my stamps will clean up easily. Classic Night of Navy ink works well for a nice image. (Maybe if your bf's mother has a favorite color you could use that.) I use one color ink for my SU sets and another color ink for anything non-SU. My sets are organized by theme - flowers, Christmas, birthdays, seasons, background stamps, etc. I have a lot of SU stamp sets (over 200) and my image book is a great resource for me.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 06:23 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

Wal-Mart has some packages of the lightest weight page protectors--about 50-60 page protectors for 3.88 or some such ridiculously low price. I use them for all my stamp catalog and idea catalog pages--practically keep them re-ordering them by myself. They aren't as heavy, which has pros and cons. I didn't want to triple the thickness of my binders by putting paper in thick protectors, so I use the lightest I can get. I've never had any problems yet.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 04:12 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

since my handwriting is horrible i decided to type the set names...i've got 27 sets and i've only been thru 2 of her sterilite boxes!....what have i gotten myself into ......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2006, 05:10 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

For the dividers you could copy Lisa Moore0626. She has a picture of dividers she used in a lunch tin/card holder posted. She used the oval punches and brads for the tab of the divider. They look absolutely adorable and would really "fancy up" the binder. You could put the dividers in sheet protectors with the tab at the top or punch 3 holes. You could label it floral, backgrounds, sentiments, etc. You could even list the names of the sets in each category on the divider page.

I've never tried to link but hopefully this will work.

Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes