Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread
Old 07-22-2006, 08:16 PM   #81  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by annabelle1974
I always keep one spare. I am already onto that spare one thanks to someone spilling a drink in my bag at a picnic last week and ruining my first one!

My sis and my co-worker get one from me. Then I sell any others, if I have any at yard sales. I got 6 catalogs last year and so did my friend in the same stamp club.
I'm kind of puzzled...you don't want to pay for a catalog, but you have no problem taking the free ones you get and then selling them to other people. Why not just get only the amount you need and let the demonstrator use the catalogs she spent her money on so she could give them to someone who would order from them or for a hostess at a workshop? In the end it benefits both of you; she isn't wasting money on catalogs to give to somone who doesn't really need them, so she probably will stay in business longer and you have the benefit of learning new techniques from someone who doesn't have to worry so much about the bottom line...but maybe that's just me...:confused:

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because I earned them! I have also been known to sell my SAB sets when I got extras for FREE! Gasp LOL! Gasp!
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Because I earned them! I have also been known to sell my SAB sets when I got extras for FREE! Gasp LOL! Gasp!
Yes, but you see, your demonstrator doesn't buy your SAB sets...SU! provides them. ;)

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by camsmom
If somebody at your work is ordering the $150, wouldn't the catalog go to THEM since they placed the qualifying order?
If I have a person who has a friend who makes a $150 (usually $100 or more) order I would give a catalog to the person placing the order, not the one who introduced me.
If somebody buys a catty from me and then hostesses a party she would get the equivalent cash from me in their order if they did not want duplicate catalogs.
As I said "people" bought things. I take all the orders. I think this makes ME the hostess, don't you. No one has offered me an equivalent in cash.

We generally sell them for about $3 at yard sale.
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by JanTInk
Yes, but you see, your demonstrator doesn't buy your SAB sets...SU! provides them. ;)
Your implication is that rather than sell anything I don't want I should give it back to SU or to my demo? Are you serious?
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Your implication is that rather than sell anything I don't want I should give it back to SU or to my demo? Are you serious?
I don't think Jan was implying that at all. I think she was simply pointing out that your demo doesn't buy the SAB sets to sell to you.
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

I think JanTink is referring to you collecting "several" catalogs, not the free SAB sets. If my hostesses have earned a catty, they aren't usually greedy and keep on taking them after they have received one.
However, my customers are pretty loyal and don't shop around enough to accumulate so many catties that they need to sell them off.

I don't usually charge for catties to my regular customers, but they are good customers and usually spend enough to earn it in one order.

Everyone runs their business just a little bit different from the next, and if (generally speaking) anyone feels they have been wronged by having to pay for the catty, then they should ask their demo. She can clarify just how it works for her. Maybe she has better projects with more accessories than suzie stamper down the road.

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Pearl-ExPert

You have said that you have an expectation that your demo not be in it just for the money. That your demo should love what she do and do everything possible to make you a happy customer. Isn't the reverse true, that you should do what you can to help her out too? Knowing that she has to pay $5 for every catty she gives away, it seems a little greedy for you to take advantage like that. JMO. SAB sets are of course different because your demo doesn't have to pay for them first. Remember that most demos aren't exactly making bank for what they do. They have to first pay business expenses (which can only be written off as a loss for a limited amount of time and amount) like catalogs, make and take supplies, hostess gifts, and any other special that you seem to expect. Not to mention have a good selection of stamps and supplies for you to use since it has been said that people want to use it before they can buy it. Only THEN does she get any profit. And we're not even accounting for the time it takes to prep and actually do an even or workshop. Sure, you can say that technically it belongs to you or that you earned them, but think about it. You are asking for 1/6 of her profit on a minumum order to get your free cattys so you can resell them. Seems a little on the greedy side to me. Kind of like how some demos have been described as greedy for not giving free reign on their supplies or giving extra specials. And I understand that you spend a lot of money, but it sounds like (from previous posts in other threads) that you give your business to whoever is running the best special at the time, so you work it so you further reduce profits. Again, JMO.
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Well, you see, I'm operating on the assumption (perhaps I'm wrong) that demonstrators and customers are usually friends or have a relationship with each other that is a warm one. I've made a lot of friends among my customers, who I must say are the BEST people. I am probably in the vast minority, but I've never had one bounce a check and except for one person who booked a workshop, cancelled and kept the catalog without returning it or ever ordering from it, none have tried to take advantage of me in any way whatsoever. And the hostess she booked off of apologized and offered to pay me for the catalog (I refused.)
In fact, a lot of them, when they ask if I pay fees on charge transactions and I've said yes, insist on paying by check because they don't want me to be out the money. I've explained that I see it as a cost of doing business, but they are uncomfortable with costing me any more money than necessary. And while they are totally aware that they can buy things cheaper from craft stores, they will often order those things from me out of loyalty. Did I mention that they are the BEST customers that anyone could ask for?

I've had hostesses who apologize for poor attendance...I always have fun no matter what and you can never tell how a workshop will go, so I don't tell anyone that I won't do their workshop if they don't have the numbers...I've had hostesses who don't even do the make and takes at their own workshops because they are trying to save me money!

I'm really happy with my customers...to me, this business is about relationships with people...I like to keep them happy by giving them what I can, and I have been humbly surprised by my customers' generosity. Maybe it's because so many of them are in the home party business themselves, so they know what it can be like. I don't really make much money at this...my business pays for itself, but it doesn't provide a lot of extra cash, maybe because I'm not pushy about booking workshops or recruiting.

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

clean and krafty

Quote:

Well, you see, I'm operating on the assumption (perhaps I'm wrong) that demonstrators and customers are usually friends or have a relationship with each other that is a warm one. I've made a lot of friends among my customers, who I must say are the BEST people. I am probably in the vast minority, but I've never had one bounce a check and except for one person who booked a workshop, cancelled and kept the catalog without returning it or ever ordering from it, none have tried to take advantage of me in any way whatsoever. And the hostess she booked off of apologized and offered to pay me for the catalog (I refused.)
In fact, a lot of them, when they ask if I pay fees on charge transactions and I've said yes, insist on paying by check because they don't want me to be out the money. I've explained that I see it as a cost of doing business, but they are uncomfortable with costing me any more money than necessary. And while they are totally aware that they can buy things cheaper from craft stores, they will often order those things from me out of loyalty. Did I mention that they are the BEST customers that anyone could ask for?

I've had hostesses who apologize for poor attendance...I always have fun no matter what and you can never tell how a workshop will go, so I don't tell anyone that I won't do their workshop if they don't have the numbers...I've had hostesses who don't even do the make and takes at their own workshops because they are trying to save me money!

I'm really happy with my customers...to me, this business is about relationships with people...I like to keep them happy by giving them what I can, and I have been humbly surprised by my customers' generosity. Maybe it's because so many of them are in the home party business themselves, so they know what it can be like. I don't really make much money at this...my business pays for itself, but it doesn't provide a lot of extra cash, maybe because I'm not pushy about booking workshops or recruiting.
Jan- your assumption is correct!! I always have fun doing what I do, and I am pretty good friends with most of my customers. I lend them sets I have, different colors, I mount them any time they need....and should I need a set that they may have and I don't, I can borrow from them!!

Mad Swapper

Oh, for pity's sakes. You don't have an objection to me getting free merchandise for what I earned but if I take the catalog and give it away or sell it I am doing something horrible? Should I also refuse the hostess bag goodies she gives me each time too?
Mad Swapper

BTW, just so you know. She borrows sets from me. I watch her kids while she runs errands. When she runs short on supplies I am the first person she borrows from. No one is being burned here in the least!
Mad Swapper

Nice hostesses don't do the make and takes to save you money? The plot thickens LOL!
clean and krafty

Quote:

Oh, for pity's sakes. You don't have an objection to me getting free merchandise for what I earned but if I take the catalog and give it away or sell it I am doing something horrible? Should I also refuse the hostess bag goodies she gives me each time too?
Okay- I am curious....
About how much each year do you spend on stamping?

And how much on stampin' up!?

This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

Then why on earth do you not stay loyal to her?? I just don't get the four other demos thing here.

I could see it if you were unhappy, but obviously this woman goes overboard based on all the things you've posted about her.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Mad Swapper

So you are saying that if I do several $150 sales several times a year that I should only get the perks for the first time and after that I am greedy and damaging a relationship? My taking my earned gifts is wrong?
Mad Swapper

Loyal? I have been in her 10 club for 8 years and have brought about 6 additional people into her clubs. Is there a rule that you cannot have more than one demo?
clean and krafty

Quote:

Nice hostesses don't do the make and takes to save you money? The plot thickens LOL!
I think you misread my statement. I said maybe she uses MORE accessories. Meaning more expensive items per card, or more of everything total.....
Wrap a piece of hemp around a card, and it has been accessorized.
Or, add some new ribbon originals, and some token pieces of hardware, and that's another story!;)

Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

I guess your style of customerhood is just out of my experience...it seems to be rather a one way relationship you have with your multiple demos and while you take a lot of what they offer because you like to get a great deal, you seem to think the well will never run dry...most demonstrators have a problem keeping their businesses solvent because this business tends to have a lot more expenses than, say, a candle lady.
But, hey, if they are happy and you are happy, no one need worry...

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by willosmama
Okay- I am curious....
About how much each year do you spend on stamping?

About 2% of my salary.

And how much on stampin' up!?
About 40% of my total. I also buy TAC and from local stores.

What bearing does either of these questions have on the discussion?
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Hey, I found it puzzling, but it's not my suggestion! After all, I cut enough for her to do them, but she did insist...

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Mad Swapper

Quote:

I guess your style of customerhood is just out of my experience...it seems to be rather a one way relationship you have with your multiple demos and while you take a lot of what they offer because you like to get a great deal, you seem to think the well will never run dry...most demonstrators have a problem keeping their businesses solvent because this business tends to have a lot more expenses than, say, a candle lady.
But, hey, if they are happy and you are happy, no one need worry...
Well, they sure seem to be on their toes to keep me as a customer and it has paid off well for them in many ways!
clean and krafty

Quote:

About 40% of my total. I also buy TAC and from local stores.

What bearing does either of these questions have on the discussion?
Well, I ask because if you are spending overwhelming amounts of money, then maybe your demo can afford to give away SO many catalogs. But for some of us smaller guys, we don't all have any one customer who spends SO much money that can afford to eat at our costs like that.

Plus, if it is a large enough amount of money, then maybe you should sign up and get the instant income.;)

Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

BTW, just so you know. She borrows sets from me. I watch her kids while she runs errands. When she runs short on supplies I am the first person she borrows from. No one is being burned here in the least!
So, she knows that she is giving you duplicate catalogues?
Wouldn't you rather see if she would give you product of equivalent value?
I don't think anybody here wants to take your earned benefits away from you ... it's just that it seems your demo and you have a different business relationship than we're used to.
Mad Swapper

I don't want to pay for a demo kit full of mountains of stuff I would never use just to get the 20% off. How much would I have to buy before I made up what I had wasted in order to get 20% off? I would have to sell some of that stuff at my yard sale *wink* I prefer for someone else to do the ordering, the paperwork, etc. for me. I also don't want anyone to set minimums that I have to buy if I don't feel like it!
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by basketballmom
So, she knows that she is giving you duplicate catalogues?
Wouldn't you rather see if she would give you product of equivalent value?
I don't think anybody here wants to take your earned benefits away from you ... it's just that it seems your demo and you have a different business relationship than we're used to.
Maybe I am dense, but how would it be any kinder to take her money in the form of ink pads instead of in catalogs? What if I want the catalogs to have extras, to give away, and to sell at yard sales? How does my taking a catalog instead of the equivalent in product hurt her? How does that hurt the relationship? Yes, she knows. She knows I use other demos too and I have shared some of their cards and ideas with her. After she place her last order near the end of June, she decided she wanted to have one more item that she had been hesitant about and asked me to order it from one of the other demos that was having trouble hitting her minimums each time.
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Well, they sure seem to be on their toes to keep me as a customer and it has paid off well for them in many ways!
But you've said that you only order from two of them when they offer a great deal, like 50% off of anything over $100....

You see, we get 20% instant income, so the demo you order from in that way (who only does this deal to meet her minimum, you said) has made $20 off your $100 order, but if you order, say, $80 more (which you are only paying $40 for and she pays the other $24), you are actually costing her money out of her own pocket since she still will have to pay SU! 80% of the price and your original $20 doesn't cover that. If she's only meeting her minimums, she doesn't even earn any volume rebates from her orders...so if you only order from this person when she offers this deal and you order more than, say, $40 over $100, you are taking money out of her pocket. Add a "free" catalog to that and it's costing her even more. So tell me again how it is she is getting rewarded by your business?

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Mad Swapper

Maybe she should make a rule. One catalog to a customer. Sounds like her choice of business practices are unsound. Actually, she has assured me she makes more than 20% off my orders.
Stazon Splitcoast

All I can say is that if my customers treated me this way, I would feel used and would not be near so ready to give them any extras. Glad they don't feel they "deserve" any special treatment just for buying from me (though I give them freebies often 'cause they ARE loyal).
Mad Swapper

You ask THEM how I treat them LOL! You would probably be shocked at what they said, but I won't be sharing that here. It just gave me a big chuckle.
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Quote:

Maybe she should make a rule. One catalog to a customer. Sounds like her choice of business practices are unsound. Actually, she has assured me she makes more than 20% off my orders.
Yes, you can, but you have to have enough orders to earn anything over 20%, especially after the career changes that just got put through. People skating by on their minimum don't earn any more than 20%

I also have to say that demonstrators who run deals like this usually offer something like this to their regular customers because their consistant buying at other times of the year helps balance out the deals they sometimes give...if you only buy when you can get the deal, then you aren't providing that balance.

But, like I said, if they are happy and you are happy, then obviously there isn't any more to say....

Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Mad Swapper

I promise you, we are all deliriously happy with the set up. I did not say all the demos made more than 20%. I said that one does and it is quite possible another does too. One is a hobby demo who barely makes minimums. You really don't know which people I am getting catalogs from, now do you?
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Maybe I am dense, but how would it be any kinder to take her money in the form of ink pads instead of in catalogs? What if I want the catalogs to have extras, to give away, and to sell at yard sales? How does my taking a catalog instead of the equivalent in product hurt her? How does that hurt the relationship? Yes, she knows. She knows I use other demos too and I have shared some of their cards and ideas with her. After she place her last order near the end of June, she decided she wanted to have one more item that she had been hesitant about and asked me to order it from one of the other demos that was having trouble hitting her minimums each time.
Basically because the catalogs are a supply item, and if she gave you product instead, it would count towards her minimums, plus help boost her into a potentially higher earning bracket. It's a win win situation when you offer merchandise over the catalog... you get free product you can use, instead of a duplicate catalog, and your demo gets a larger volume of sales....
clean and krafty

Quote:

Some of the above mentioned items are often more appreciated, and easier not to mention cheaper to replace. A box of catties is enough to break any one's wallet, and if they can offer you another incentive it is more of a win win situation. Like JanTink said though....if your all happy, sounds like it works for you.

clean and krafty

Quote:

Originally Posted by fool4scrapping
Basically because the catalogs are a supply item, and if she gave you product instead, it would count towards her minimums, plus help boost her into a potentially higher earning bracket. It's a win win situation when you offer merchandise over the catalog... you get free product you can use, instead of a duplicate catalog, and your demo gets a larger volume of sales....
oops typing/thinking at same time!

clean and krafty

Tina- did you ever get my RAK I sent????

Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

oops typing/thinking at same time!
:mrgreen:
Mad Swapper

There must be some reason, in 8 years of my buying from her and getting extra cattys that she has not OFFERED the equivalent in product. I feel it would be rude to ask. She seems perfectly happy with the set up now. If she were not, she could make an offer.
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Tina- did you ever get my RAK I sent????
not yet but I'll keep my eye out now that I know you did!
clean and krafty

Quote:

Originally Posted by fool4scrapping
not yet but I'll keep my eye out now that I know you did!
I sent it late, shoulda went out a while ago, was waiting on new catty stuff.