Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-11-2006, 01:04 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation I've had an acrylic epiphany...

I love wood-mounted stamps. When I open a virgin package of SU! stamps, I love the feel of the fresh new wood.

I bought one set of TAC stamps, a few blocks and a catty. Even after Keri's review I was still a little skeptical that I'd like this removable business, I just really liked that set. And I still love wood blocks.

So I took 'em for a trial run. I was afraid that the discrepancy between block size and stamp size would be problematic. There isn't a special acrylic block custom cut for every possible stamp size. I figured that small stamps, like individual words, would be to "rocky". Just for kicks I put a small single word on a 3" block to see what would happen. I'm amazed. Control is no problem. I think it's even better because you can see exactly what the stamp is doing. I won't have much need for a stamp positioner with this method.

My next order will have a few extra sheets of that lovely cling-mount. I still love those wood blocks, but some of them are going to get their "wings".
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2006, 01:18 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too like the wood they just look soooo neat and ordinally in their cases and with non-wood mount they're just THERE.. you know what I mean. But I too have some acrylic stamps and have never had a problem with the image or stamping with them. I don't own any TAC or CTMH acyrlic stamp sets mine are all from different rubber stamp conventions from over the years. But I have my tac catty and will be placing an order soooooonnn..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2006, 02:02 PM   #3  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've actually used my alphas unmounted with acrylic blocks... and LOVE that. However, I borrowed a friend's CTMH set. The images were block-like, and I didn't like the ink coverage or the resulting stamped image.

To each his own I"m glad you found a new technique!
Old 07-11-2006, 02:18 PM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat
I've actually used my alphas unmounted with acrylic blocks... and LOVE that. However, I borrowed a friend's CTMH set. The images were block-like, and I didn't like the ink coverage or the resulting stamped image.

To each his own I"m glad you found a new technique!
Not all the CTMH alpha's are block like - and good coverage can be achieved by first 'seasoning' (basically cleaning) the stamp and then when stamping be sure to have the foam cushion that is supplied with the stamp set under the project, that will allow the necessary 'give' and will produce a cleaner image

�So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.�
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2006, 02:21 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

I love wood too. But many people kept talking about how great acrylic was. I got to try it a few days ago. I like the fact that you can save space but I did not like the images as well as the SU ones. I think the SU ones were "crisper" and "cleaner". I am sticking with my wood blocks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2006, 02:37 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

For those that haven't used The Angel Company (TAC) - they are not acrylic. They are a rubber stamps (just like SU!) it's just that they use the Creative Cling (aka EZ Mount) system and acrylic handles. There is a difference between the 'Acrylic System' (handles) and 'Acrylic Stamps'.

I also know a lot of companies are starting to offer their rubber stamps as mounted (wood) or unmounted (no wood) for those that love wood and those that love the space saving of unmounted.
Jana ~Angel #1251~ Manager with The Angel Company and List Mom for TAC Addicted
http://jana.ismyangel.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2006, 03:35 PM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Also, SU stamps work beautfully if unmounted. I am a UMC (unmounted convert) and the majority of my stamps are SU. I hate the clear acrylic stamps and consider them a whole other ballgame that I won't be attending.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2006, 03:39 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

If you're not getting a crisp image, it's because you are pressing too hard. The acrylics require a very light touch. I've just uploaded a picture of a card I did this weekend. The images are crisp, and the small words are very readable.
BTW...the card isn't crooked, it's the scan<G>

http://suzastampin.netfirms.com/pict...e.php?pos=-612

Suz
CTMH Director
http://www.suzastampin.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2006, 03:52 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

With my CTMH stamps if I don't press hard I get a too light image. I like a deep black on my images with NO paper showing through. I have tried everything. I buffed the stamps like the paper said. I inked them and used them over and over. Hard pressure and they stick to the paper and distort. Medium to light pressure and I get a light splotchy image. I have tried a variety of inks. To me they are just waaaaay too much work to have to stamp something over and over to get a decent image. I never have to do this with rubber.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2006, 04:13 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Have you used a white eraser on them when you first get them? That's the first thing I do when I use a new set. I can't remember if I even put the foam under my paper when I did this card (I don't always), but, as you can see, there's no paper showing through. It's a good solid image and I just lay the stamp down on the paper and just press a little. I've seen people using wood mount stamps and see them standing and pressing and pushing on them. There's no need to do any of that with the acrylic.
Wish you lived close so we could get together. I'd like to be able to help you so that you could enjoy your CTMH stamps.

Suz
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2006, 04:23 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

The TAC stamps are RUBBER the CTMH are Acrylic. Just to make sure everyone reads that....
LOL Sorry I can't remember how many times someone has stressed this point so I had to do it just ONE more time.....LOL!

I just don't care for CTMH graphics, and never gave TAC a second glance until this years catalog. CTMH is just not my style and I am not impressed with the quality of their acrylic where as TAC has just come a long way baby and their new lines are hip and with it! They are made of deep etched vulcanized blue rubber and work GREAT! I haven't had a moment to stamp now in a few days but I keep thinking up good things to try!!! LOL I can't wait to have some "me time!!!"

Malinda,
Glad to hear you like the TAC stamps too...I was worried that you were going to say something like "that Keri is CRAZY" LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2006, 05:13 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Ok TAC people, where & how do I get the new catalog?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2006, 05:25 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I sent you a PM.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2006, 05:28 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default TAC Catalog

rubykbear - I pm'd you re: TAC catalog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2006, 06:04 PM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Default Interesting that...

people say that they don't like CTMH designs. In fact, there are a bunch of designs in the 2005 SU IB&C that are almost exact copies of CTMH designs from prior years.

I was so suprised that I thought that they might use the same designer or the two companies might actually have some relationship! I don't think they do but the similarities are uncanny.... even made me pull out the two idea books to compare...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2006, 07:19 PM   #16  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by MazG
people say that they don't like CTMH designs. In fact, there are a bunch of designs in the 2005 SU IB&C that are almost exact copies of CTMH designs from prior years.

I was so suprised that I thought that they might use the same designer or the two companies might actually have some relationship! I don't think they do but the similarities are uncanny.... even made me pull out the two idea books to compare...
My guess is that a stamp artist has defected to one company or the other - that is probally why some of the designs look alike.

�So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.�
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2006, 08:09 PM   #17  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sereikastamper
Glad to hear you like the TAC stamps too...I was worried that you were going to say something like "that Keri is CRAZY" LOL
Nah, I'd have tried to be a little more diplomatic!

Even so, I was really impressed with the performance of the cling foam stuff. It was really hard to (for me) to believe that without seeing it.

I showed my DH, who was pretty impressed, too. He's worried about our weight allowance on our next move in the Spring. He really liked the idea of my getting rid of some of the wood.

I won't unmount everything. I think that would be a pain. But sets that I only use occasionally, or the ones that are lots of tiny stamps are definitely getting "unblocked". I'll probably reduce my wood by about 1/3. And buying unmounted will become a priority.

There's some wicked cute stuff in that TAC catty!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2006, 03:09 AM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

Talking

Quote:

Originally Posted by malindaplace
I showed my DH, who was pretty impressed, too. He's worried about our weight allowance on our next move in the Spring. He really liked the idea of my getting rid of some of the wood.

I won't unmount everything. I think that would be a pain. But sets that I only use occasionally, or the ones that are lots of tiny stamps are definitely getting "unblocked". I'll probably reduce my wood by about 1/3. And buying unmounted will become a priority.

There's some wicked cute stuff in that TAC catty!
Malinda...you won half the battle if you have your hubby convinced something in stamping is "good" tee hee... Since we never know what size house we'll end up in, the space/weight is so important! For me it was just better to have them out of sight...that way he didn't realize just how MANY stamps I have!!

My girlfriend here is on her 5th sheet of cling and just ordered two more with her stamp order! She is unmounting EVERYTHING! :grin:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2006, 03:16 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by allamericanstampers
For me it was just better to have them out of sight...that way he didn't realize just how MANY stamps I have!!
Your comment made me laugh because I couldn't agree more! My husband is supportive but it is best he doesn't know everything. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2006, 04:30 AM   #20  
Crimping Master

Ok, now I've got a question about re-mounting on the cling. I "cheated" a little bit when I mounted my TAC set by trimming the rubber first, mounting the stamps close together on the sticky stuff, and then trimming to fit with my non-stick scissors. I had a nice little chunk of cling leftover that was enough to mount all but one stamp of SU! "Noteworthy". It's bugged me from the start how much storage space that set used.

Anyway, I realize that approach makes everything much stickier. I used a bit of goo-gone to clean the surface of the stamp, but the edges are still pretty tacky. I've done a trial stamping with them, and they're working fine, but my fingers felt tacky from touching the edges. Will that tack dry out eventually from exposure to air?

I'm not sure how I can avoid this problem with remounting already trimmed stamps. Plus, I trim very close, so there aren't any margins I can cut through.

Anyone?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2006, 04:39 AM   #21  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by allamericanstampers
For me it was just better to have them out of sight...that way he didn't realize just how MANY stamps I have!!
I won't deny that's a pretty good incentive.

My DH is resigned to my insanity.

He's a musician (which means we have an enormous music collection, recorded and print), a tech-gadget junkie and all-round packrat. He's smart enough to be pretty careful about criticizing my habits, but it's always good when I can make the insanity look normal. I just wish he understood how much restraint I exercise!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2006, 04:52 AM   #22  
Glitter Queen

Default Avoid the Sticky

When we used to sell the TAC grab bags, there were pieces, not whole sheets. I did teh same as you, trim the rubber close, out on the Creative Cling and trim. I too had a sticky mess. Then I read somewhere to sprinkle baby powder or cornstarch (I think) on the CC after you have placed all the images. I used the baby powder and it worked wonderfully well!!!!!
So, now when you get your new TAC sets cut the rubber close, lay the out on the CC then see what wood mounted you can add!

Hope this helps!!

Michele G.
TX Angel 1869

I'm not sure how I can avoid this problem with remounting already trimmed stamps. Plus, I trim very close, so there aren't any margins I can cut through.

Anyone?[/QUOTE]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2006, 05:20 AM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The acrylics are going to be an item for awhile, I feel, because the cost of wood mounted are expensive and this system requires less storage space.
It may look nice to have cases of stamps on your vertical shelves, but not everyone has that much storage. For those of us that are getting near retirement, a single parent, a young adult, the cost of wood stamps are expensive. Thanks gals for giving us the extra information we need, I'm still going to give them a try and have purchased some of the blocks.
Carolyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2006, 05:35 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

I am very intrigued by the TAC system. I have collected many SU stamps and therefore have a large area just for storage. I can't wait for the TAC catalog to see what it is all about.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2006, 05:45 AM   #25  
Mad Swapper

I could not deal with the sticky so have found another way to do it. I completely trim the rubber stamp and THEN I lay the stamp on the paper of the sticky side of the cling. I hold it firmly and trim it out while the paper is still on both sides of the cling. Then I pull off the paper and attached the stamp to the sticky. Works just fine for me. The scissors will eventually still get sticky, but nothing like before.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2006, 05:46 AM   #26  
Mad Swapper

PS- I have found that I save sooooo much cling by doing it this way also. Additionally, wiping the blades with a baby wipe and rubbing alcohol cleans the blades well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2006, 05:55 AM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmcbunny
My guess is that a stamp artist has defected to one company or the other - that is probally why some of the designs look alike.
Most stamp companies, unless they have an 'exclusive' artist, buy the artistic images from the artist and make plates for stamps from those images. The artist generally gets a one time payment from stamp companies, unless they have a royalty agreement. Unless the artist is exclusive to a specific company then the designs that they do are going to be seen across the stamping and scrapbooking market. That is why you can see stamped images with one company and VERY similar images with another company - or stickers, papers, etc in the scrapbooking market. The artist generally gives up all artistic rights to that specific image but will still design similar images - or other images within that style.

Some companies do have 'exclusive' stamp image designers. I know TAC has Mabelle Rameriz-Ortiz who designs all the MRO coded images in the TAC catalogue. And I know that other companies do the same with their artists. But most usually use artists that are independent because it saves the company money and gives them a broader range of images.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2006, 06:34 AM   #28  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Micheleg36
I read somewhere to sprinkle baby powder or cornstarch (I think) on the CC after you have placed all the images. I used the baby powder and it worked wonderfully well!!!!!
So, now when you get your new TAC sets cut the rubber close, lay the out on the CC then see what wood mounted you can add!

Hope this helps!!

Michele G.
Oh, that's a great idea! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2006, 06:40 AM   #29  
Matboard Maniac

Another idea is to swipe your scissors on your VersaMark pad before cutting and repeat after a few stamps. Then another is to layout all of your images and take a piece of plastic wrap and lay it over the top before cutting. It covers up the sticky and is easy to cut through.
Reply With Quote Likes