Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-30-2006, 05:01 AM   #41  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband is supportive of my habit but he also has no idea how much I spend on my habit.
One day my husband and son (17) were talking and dh says "Let your mom enjoy her stuff. She only spends about $50 a year" My ds replies "Dad, you could feed a third world country with what she spends on that stuff!"
Glad dh is still in the dark! LOL
Andrea
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2006, 05:07 AM   #42  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathynruss
My Russel says he wishes he could think up a hobby that would involve him as much as my stamping involves me. He occasionally teases me on how much I spend and says I should become a hobby demo (gotta love that guy!), but he's not seriously complaining. He makes all the right noises when I show him a card I just made and is occasionally even downright impressed! My sister is a quilter, so she likes my paper pieced cards. My brother likes my Stampscapes cards. My Mom, heavy sigh, she was gone before I got into stamping, but I still show her what I do sometimes and know she would have loved anything I did.
Ohhh, Kathy, that reply brought tears to my eyes. What a beautiful family and I know your mom saw my horse card and smiled, cos my mom saw it and said how beautiful it was and she doesn't really like horses so it surprised me!
My DH is quite tolerant, but does see it as me playing, rather than it being my job. I teach and he sees it as encroaching on family life and is not always happy about it, but he was the one who told me I could do it as a job when my dad laughed at me for saying I could make a go at it.
My mom buys cards from me. My DH's family I thought didn't care, but my SIL got really upset when she didn't get a handmade card for her birthday last year, so I guess they do like them.
My 7 year old son thinks it's really cool and he stamps too occasionally, but he loves making cards and cutting things up, so I give him old card and an old pair of scissors and he is happy for hours.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2006, 05:29 AM   #43  
Stampin' Fool

My DH and my family are very supportive. DH buys me stamps and gladly goes to conventions and stamp stores with me. I'm fortunate that my kids are grown, so my money is my own...as long as my bills are paid! My DH never asks what something costs, and always says you have to have the right tools to do a great job. The sentiment is reciprocal since he can spend what he wants on his tools, and I go to car shows with him. And believe me, his tools are so much more expensive!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2006, 05:41 AM   #44  
Polyshrink Goddess

Sometimes I'll ask my DH if I can spend $200 at the stampin up party next time. And he always says yes! I don't, but it's nice to hear it from him that he wouldn't mind if I did! He spends big $$$ on his interests and he'll doesn't give me grief over mine! Gotta love that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2006, 06:22 AM   #45  

DH loves that I make cards. He always hated buying cards, and now that I make them, he is thrilled. However, if he ever found out how much money I have sunk into this, he would hit the roof! (let's not tell him, shall we?)

DDs stamp too. The 11 yo loves to do it. The 14 yo will do it, because we won't let her buy cards....:twisted:

Families are fairly supportive. MIL thinks the cards are 'cute', but I don't think she realizes the effort. Stepmother 'treasures' the cards! And understands the effort! It's great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2006, 06:28 AM   #46  
Die Cut Diva

Default SU junkie

My DH doesn't mind my "habit." Sometimes he's the one who gives me ideas when I have stampers-block. Before I got into SU, I used to make beaded jewelry. DH told me a few months ago that he likes my SU habit more than my beading habit. As far as the rest of my family goes, my DD is curious about stamping already (she's almost 2) and my MIL is my best customer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2006, 06:30 AM   #47  
Compulsive Stamper

My DH is much more supportive than I had originally thought he'd be. I went to my first demonstration and spent almost $100 and thought he'd freak - and he almost did - but when he realized how much I enjoyed it - he loves it. He just wants me to budget my SU stuff and AC Moore purchases - which I think is very reasonable. He is a musician and I've always supported orchestra, outside gigs and now a quintet that he does, on average once a week. So he is more than willing to let me have my stamp time - either here at home or out with "the girls." I am very fortunate to have several friends that stamp and not one, but two awesome demos whom I adore. For me, it's been more about the creativity involved, the social interation (needed that very badly) and having something to do for me - with the added benefit that I can share and create for others. Whenever I make cards now DH is my biggest fan - (i.e., Father's Day - all handmade) DH went around to all the Dad's and gleefully told them all - "You know, Sue MADE these - arent't they great?" He has mentioned to me several times if I wanted to be a demo he'd support it....but I don't think I am ready for that. Not to metion that I'd be my own best customer :rolleyes:

And my DD - 6 - loves to stamp with me. She loves to look at the catty and tell me what sets she likes. Her favorites of mine are Bloomin' Wonderful and crayon kids. She is suprisingly careful with my stamps and even knows how to clean them - so she is a joy. DH is working on our basement right now (literally, around my stamping table) and we can't wait until it will be done. Right now I am happy to have a table to stamp on and a box to keep all my stuff in...but I am a little giddy over the thought of good lighting, a real counter, some cabinets, and room to have my stampin' buddies over to play.

The rest of the family is pretty cool - my MIL is a very creative person and loves to stamp when she visits. Everyone else seems to appreciate a home-made card, and occasionally a recipient has no clue (you know how some people are card people, some aren't, lol?) and I have one friend who thinks I have too much time on my hands (as if!) but I always enjoy making them no matter what.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2006, 07:14 AM   #48  
Compulsive Stamper

Talking Very Supportive Family... not so much friends

My DH is very supportive of my obsession. However, he has no room to talk really. He has a couple of really expensive hobbies himself. LOL!!! He is always willing to comment on colors, layouts, etc... and is even promising to build me a stampin' center complete with storage for all of my stuff and a place to work. Right now I have half of our office and use plastic storage, bookshelfs and a 6 foot folding table. Hee hee! He always says, "as long as you are getting a good deal, than it's ok with me... buy as much as you want". ;) Ha, if he only REALLY knew... :mrgreen:

DD loves to "make cards" with me. She loves the glitter and markers more than anything, I think.

My mom is a demo... so she shares the passion of course. A good number of friends are also addicted but I have the few friends who just don't understand. One in particular just doesn't understand why this could be so important to me. Of course, she is a sports fanatic. I try to liken it to that... but she just gets the blank look. However, she isn't above a handmade creation for her boyfriend, father, etc... :rolleyes:

The rest of my family oohs and ahhhs... my BIL asked why I still work at my regular job if I can do this. Isn't that great? My MIL says I get better with every card. I guess I'm pretty lucky... most of my fam is very supportive. Even my cat-son is supportive. He lovingly sits at my feet and sleeps while I stamp my little heart away. It doesn't matter if it's 1am or not! Hee hee!

Happy Stamping to you All! :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2006, 07:28 AM   #49  
Crimping Master

My DH is supportive of the art of stamping, BUT, he feels like I have everything & don't need anymore stamps...He doesn't understand you can never have too many!!!! He has gone to stamp stores & bought me stamp accessories for my b-day or xmas. He was an art major in college & I often use his eye when I'm working on a design.

I've sucked my sister & my mother-in-law into the world of stamping. My MIL has issues with her hands- has had both of her thumb joints replaced & she still stamps. I left some of my stuff over at her house recently & she stamped til she cramped.

My 2year old dd always asks me to stamp (if I'm stamping, if she sees stamps or stamp pads, or if you mention stamps- even the USPS kind!)- she's pretty good at it for a 2 year old!

My mom doesn't have the patience to do arts/crafts/stamping etc- it makes her too nervous to sit & create, but she does appreciate my handiwork.

Mom to Lorelei 3/04 and Chloe & Ella 8/06

"It's never too late to be what you might have been."
-George Eliot
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2006, 07:30 AM   #50  
Rubber Obsessor

DH is very supportive (most of the time). When I was a demonstrator for CTMH I spent a lot of $$ buying their products, going to convention, teaching at convention. Now that I am not doing it any more I still spend lots of money but go more towards stuff like papers and gadgets. I have a stamp that sums it up:

Stamps: $6,000
Supplies: $4,000
Hand Made Card: priceless!
and accessories I can hide.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2006, 07:50 AM   #51  
Rubber Obsessor

Red face

My dh appreciates the fact that my stamping obsession saves us tons in psychiatrist fees. It is therapy for me. My mother supports me to the nth degree. She actually has embarassed me many times bragging about something I made for her or someone else. I have three grown sons...two of them display every card I ever made for them and the other one at least saves them. So I guess I am lucky because my family supports me even though they know I am in this cult and couldn't quit if I wanted to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2006, 07:50 AM   #52  
Pearl-ExPert

My DH is supportive. He's actually a bit of an enabler, encouraging me to buy stuff for my hobby. He's a good guy.

Sometimes, he stamps with me. He likes to make Christmas tags.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2006, 08:14 AM   #53  
Stazon Splitcoast

My DH thinks I'm insane... But, I've been an SU customer for 10 years and counting and he's still married to me...

DD - loves it she's only 5 but thinks it's cool and loves to stamp herself..

DS - could take it or leave !!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2006, 08:40 AM   #54  
Pearl-ExPert

My husband is very supportive of my hobby. I think it helps that he has a lot of hobbies and this eases some of the guilt of not spending as much time with me. That's not the only reason he is supportive though. He likes the cards I make and even gave me my own website for Christmas last year (designing websites is one of his hobbies). I was very moved that he devoted some of his spare time to making me the site and it was a total surprise too.

The only times my husband says anything negative is if I get into a spending spurt - that's how I shop - I don't buy anything for ages and then I go crazy with it. He doesn't mind me spending as long as it's reasonable (we both work full time and don't have any children but we do have to watch our pennies).

I am sorry to hear that so many people get comments like "you have too much time on your hands". It's a shame that people have to be critical of something so personal. I haven't heard that one yet but if I do, I hope I will have the good grace to say something like "Lucky me!" and let it go. (I'm sure in reality it will make me see red!)

Kelly Bee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2006, 08:51 AM   #55  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by alikinch
My mom doesn't have the patience to do arts/crafts/stamping etc- it makes her too nervous to sit & create, but she does appreciate my handiwork.
My sister (the one who said I have too much time on my hands) was the same way! She would have never gone to the monthly classes if it wasn't for the fact that her DIL was a new demo as of last summer. So out of obligation she started coming to the classes but only as a guest. She would try to have an excuse to not go but couldn't because we carpool. For months she always said she was so nervous about everything. Especially about tearing the paper! Now, she's changing the layouts around and using her prefered colors on things. Her card was photographed last month because of her beautiful results! Now she's ordering spots and stamps and gable boxes! Heck, I haven't even bought gable boxes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2006, 09:49 AM   #56  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenpam
(spoken in a whisper) Come and join us............. You must join us........... You need to join us........ You can't live life unless you join us........... :twisted:

Oh my gosh...now I am on the floor too! I think her dog is in on it too!

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...0&ppuser=37017

Stampin' Up Sr.Supervisor
www.sodanajones.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2006, 02:56 PM   #57  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My husband loves having hand made cards to send to his relatives. He doesn't seem to care that I spend a fortune on supplies! I've always joked that my money is my money and his money is...also my money! He just laughs and says I'm right! [IMG]//www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif[/IMG]
My kids are grown and think it's funny that I'm so addicted. My daughter actually got me into stamping, but doesn't do it at all anymore. I "inherited" all her stamps and supplies, but they've grown exponentially since I really got into stamping seriously.
My grandchildren always want to see my latest creations....especially my 3 year old granddaughter. She loves all the flowery, girly cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2006, 03:18 PM   #58  
Stampin' Fool

Yesterday, my boyfriend told my sister that I loved my new catalog more than I love him.... I'm havn't decided if he was right....yet.

But all kidding aside, he is so supportive of my stamping habit, because he sees how happy it makes me, and lets me let out my creativity in a good and positive way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2006, 07:14 PM   #59  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 86 Likes on 38 Posts

My husband is very supportive. If he sees someone receive one of my cards, he says, "Oh, you're lucky. You received one of Gay's thousand-dollar cards!" Haha. I tell him the more cards I make, the cheaper they get. He always votes for his favorite when I receive swaps, and he's way nice about the money I spend. He knows better than to run out and spend a bunch on my birthday -- I want a stamp party for my birthday (YAY, it's next week!!) My kids are very sweet and always enjoy receiving my cards, and each of them (all young men now) have used my stamps to make cards or gifts for their sweeties. (My husband has a much more expensive hobby -- hang gliding -- and the website he goes to is very much like this one: There's always a thread like, "How does your wife/girlfriend/significant other feel about you hang gliding?") - Gay Howe
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2006, 07:31 PM   #60  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My family thinks I'm in a cult!

My daughter was joking around with me yesterday, that I love Jacob (my middle son) more than the rest of them because he brought me my box of SU catalogs I was so anxiously waiting for. I told her "Thats not true honey... I just love my new catalogs more!" (Yes, she knew I was joking)
And there's four in 'platitude-quoting idiot'. Go figure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2006, 08:15 PM   #61  
Crimping Master

My husband is very supportive. I show him cards I make and he makes the appropriate "noises". He loves to fish, so he has a ton of lures and rods and stuff, so I always joke that we both have hobbies with lots of parts and pieces. My 7 yr old son likes to predict which project/technique will be the "favorite" at my monthly techniques class. And my 4 yr old son has his own special basket of craft stuff under my table which he likes to pull out whenever I'm in my craft room. He has his favorite purple cardstock (non-SU of course--he goes through a ton of it!), but uses my SU punches, crimper, and 'hesive (as he likes to call it). So all in all, they're very supportive.

Haven't been able to "lure" any family members into my cult, but I think they all like to be on the receiving end of my work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2006, 09:01 PM   #62  
Inking Addict

My husband is very supportive he works away and when i talk to him he always asks if i have made any thing that day. and asks for me to take pictures or set it aside so he can see it when he comes home. and well my daughters like to stamp with me.

Chantel
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2006, 08:14 AM   #63  
Die Cut Diva

Default DH and new catties

When I got my new cattty I was constantly saying "Ooooh, I want this." DH said the funniest thing as I was looking at the catty (again) on the way to San Antonio to visit his sis. He said, "Don't show me the catalog because I won't be helping the situation. I'll just be telling you that you need such and such set also." How's that for being supportive of my habit?! Oh yeah, I told him that I wanted to turn my habit into more of a business than a hobby. I told him that I didn't know anyone that would be interested. He suggested that I invite an old friend of the family who loves stamping (I completely forgot about her). He also reminded me that the wives of 2 of his dad's friends are the "artsy fartsy" type. Guess I'll be making some calls soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2006, 08:59 AM   #64  
Die Cut Diva

By the time you add up his 2 hobbies: guitars & Xbox. I would say we are even.

Guitars (7), strings, amps, recording equipment, pedals, cases, stands...

Xbox, games, magazines, controllers...

Stampin' Up! is my Les Paul!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2006, 10:29 AM   #65  
Rubber Obsessor

You gals all have such fun stories and nice husbands ;-) I'm one of the younglings on this site (just turned twenty) and recently started stamping. My mom is very supportive. She sometimes complains about the money I've 'invested' into stamping, but then she stays up half the night with me oogling the new catty (and helping me raise my budget limit lol). And she loves my cards! My brother a typical 23 sports guy-thinks I'm kind of wierd, but is occasionally impressed. My dad and the rest of the relatives also enjoy getting cards; unfortunately, they now all expect cards on every holiday!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2006, 11:41 AM   #66  
Stampin' Fool

My husband thinks I like stamps more than him! (not true) (well most of the time anyway!) He always says "what are you doing? Stampin' Up!?" And when I'm on the computer and he wants to play solitaire (which is about all he does with it) he says "get off my computer" and I do. My oldest and youngest daughter and I share our hobby. My middle daughter likes us to make her stuff, and has bought a few things, but mostly thinks we are crazy!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2006, 11:49 AM   #67  
Stampin' Fool

Oh and since we can't edit I should add that he is kidding when he says get off my computer, but because he doesn't use it very often I do always get off. He is really very supportive of my stamping habit. I don't ever tell him how much I really spent though! He might have a heart attack!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2006, 12:35 PM   #68  
Polyshrink Goddess

My family is used to my addiction! LOL!

My husband is very supportive. I started stamping right after we got married so he's used to it. He's actually stamped on his own several times. Throughout the years he's gone to conventions with me too. Last year he went to his first SU convention as a joint demo also!

My daughters (who are 6 and love stamping. They were just as excited to see the new catalog last week as I was. They do a lot of stamping and love to make cards for their friends and family.

And just this past year I got my mom hooked on stamping too! I've been trying for years but it wasn't until last year that she really got into it. In fact just last night she was joking that she needed to get a bigger container for all her stamps! I was so proud! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2006, 07:37 PM   #69  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by AuburnTigerTN
His biggest gripe.... , is the sales tax we pay
(9.75%) on top of the 10% s/h SU charges.
Yes, that is rather painful, isn't it? :( :shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2006, 08:15 PM   #70  
Stampin' Fool

My husband thinks it's great. I don't think he really knows how much I have spent on stamps though, LOL!! Now I have pulled my daughter,neice and sister into it. We get together and make snacks and make cards and have a great time. They all tease me about my scrapbook room, but, they all come her to play. My neighbor's laugh at how many time's UPS and FedEx is here. He has his hobbies, this is mine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2006, 06:48 AM   #71  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by valrocks
By the time you add up his 2 hobbies: guitars & Xbox. I would say we are even.

Guitars (7), strings, amps, recording equipment, pedals, cases, stands...

Xbox, games, magazines, controllers...

Stampin' Up! is my Les Paul!!!
OMG, I think we are both married to the same guy!!!! He just bought a $75 game yesterday...SU is cheap compared to guitars and video games!
Reply With Quote Likes