Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-10-2006, 02:59 PM   #1  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DeKalb, IL - do you love your demo?

Hi all,

I apologize in advance for the long post...

I have sort of an odd request and I know someone out there will be able to help me out!

I am a demo, but in my real job I work in sales for an insurance company. I was in an insurance agency the other day and had a conversation with a woman who works there about scrapbooking and stamping...she told me how much she loves SU. I did not start the conversation, but I did proceed to tell her that I am a SU demo. She was excited and asked that I give her a catalog and invite her to my next workshop. I provided her with a catalog and am now having cold feet about developing a business relationship with her by way of my "paying" job...KWIM? I think it's best that I refer her to another demo in her area rather than risk her boss or mine finding out about us doing this "on the side."

What I'd like to find is a super satisfied customer who can refer her demo to me. I think this customer has a lot of potential, and I am sad to let her go...but I do think it's for the best.

This may sound cheesy, but short of going to the demo locator and just picking one at random, I'd like to get a personal reference from someone out there...if you love your demo, would you mind PMing me with her name and phone number? If she's a fellow SCSer, let me know her user name and I'll contact her through the site.

I considered posting this on the demo side, but I do believe that a happy customer is the sign of a successful demo

This is legit - reading through this post I think it may come across as weird...but I try to be as conscientious as possible and I think this is the right decision for my little businesss (and the big one that pays my bills!)

Thanks in advance for your help!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2006, 03:03 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

Location: I am a Utah desert rat! I fry in the summer, but, oh, the winters are spectacular!

I see no reason why you can't take care of her. If it doesn't interfere with your jobs, why should your boss care?

I am a teacher, and some of my best customers are other teachers and the secretaries in the front office. I don't do business on school time, so I see no conflict of interest.

I say GO FOR IT!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2006, 03:04 PM   #3  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geneal
I see no reason why you can't take care of her. If it doesn't interfere with your jobs, why should your boss care?

I am a teacher, and some of my best customers are other teachers and the secretaries in the front office. I don't do business on school time, so I see no conflict of interest.

I say GO FOR IT!
Interesting...I still think I'd like to refer her to someone else...I believe it could be perceived that we are "trading" favors, if you will...sort of like I might treat her differently in the course of our "real" jobs because she gave me a huge order over the weekend - KWIM?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2006, 04:50 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I can't help you, but if I were in your shoes I would definitely keep her as a customer. For what it's worth I have been working in business for years, and I see nothing ethically wrong with the situation as long as the SU! business you are conducting isn't being done on work time. Keep her!!!!!

As a side note, my husband and I used to live in DeKalb in some funky apartments behind Pagliai's (sp?) & Taco Bell on what I think was Lincoln Hwy. Man I miss those beer nuggets from Pag's :mrgreen: (though I heard they've closed now)!!!! :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2006, 02:04 PM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

I don't see why you can't keep her as a customer. Sounds like you are a hobby demo - I don't see why you can't sell SU to the folks in the office when it's just a way to get your own goods at a discount. JMO... If it makes you feel better, tell her to call you at home or e-mail your home address with orders and don't deliver anything to work - deliver it to her home in the evening. Keep the stampin' part of your friendship for after work.
SCS Member #772
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2006, 02:54 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

It's nice to find someone who you click with and it sounds like you two do! And, since you are so conscientious about it...it doesn't sound like you will be sitting there together peering over the catalog!!

Keep her!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2006, 11:11 AM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

I work in an insurance office as well and I am a demo. My bosses wife is a customer of mine and she is also in my monthly club. Several of my bosses clients are also my customers, so I don't see a problem with it. He knows what I do and he thinks it's great that his wife and I have that relationship. I don't advertise in the office, but if someone asks me about it (we are in a small town) I am more than happy to talk to them about it. I wouldn't think of it as "trading favors". I would see it as a new customer opportunity!

BTW, I am in central Illinois too.
Paula
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2006, 07:41 PM   #8  
Polyshrink Goddess

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sairabee
I can't help you, but if I were in your shoes I would definitely keep her as a customer. For what it's worth I have been working in business for years, and I see nothing ethically wrong with the situation as long as the SU! business you are conducting isn't being done on work time. Keep her!!!!!

As a side note, my husband and I used to live in DeKalb in some funky apartments behind Pagliai's (sp?) & Taco Bell on what I think was Lincoln Hwy. Man I miss those beer nuggets from Pag's :mrgreen: (though I heard they've closed now)!!!! :(
Ah, the memories! I went to NIU and miss those beer nuggets too!! And the frozen custard from Ollies. Good times!

"If it wasn't for the last minute, I wouldn't get anything done!"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2006, 06:21 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

just a thought...how about running your concerns past the bosses and see how they feel? then nothing is being done behind anyone's back and if they see no problem with it you have a great new customer. (i admire you for thinking about the ethical side of this. a lot of people wouldn't)

For You have delivered my soul from death, My eyes from tears, And my feet from falling. Psalm 116:8

my blog http://wwwfeedingmysoul.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes