Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-11-2004, 11:14 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Michael's

Michael's in my area no longer puts coupons in the paper unless it is delivered to your door. So, those of us who buy Sunday's paper at the nearest store don't get a coupon. They will not give you one at the store either. So, I shop at JoAnn's. I think Michael's really hurt themselves with this move.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2004, 11:18 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I agree, I get the Sunday paper delivered to my door, mainly just to get the coupons!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2004, 11:31 AM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

Default Michaels

They have been doing that for a long time in my area. I refuse
to buy the paper (mainly because it is such a biased paper), so I shop at Joanns too. Oh well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2004, 11:41 AM   #4  
Kookie Creator

I was just shopping at both stores at lunch time and made the following observations. I was purchasing a Melting Pot. 1 - Michaels had a 50% coupon plus was $5 cheaper than my local Joanns. 2 - Our Michaels will accept Joann coupons. I don't get the paper either but have one of my guys here at the office bring them in when they are published. 3 - My Joanns will allow me to use multiple coupons as long as they are different mediums. I use to make my purchase, walk out to my car and return to make my second purchase. Don't have to do that anymore! I ended up saving almost $40 today by visiting both stores. So obviously there are pros and cons to both stores.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2004, 12:12 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I really wish Michael's would do something similar to Joann's...customers can sign up for the coupon to be mailed to them with the flyer, or get it off the internet. Maybe they'll do that in the future?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2004, 12:30 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

I went to Mike's today & noticed that all the big ticket items like Sizzlits, Xyron refills, organization systems, etc. were all on sale so you couldn't use the coupon anyway. I have a stack of unused Mike's coupons - they just don't seem to have anything new anymore. When they do finally get "new" stuff into their store, it has actually been on the market for 6 months in all the LSS or online stores. Don't get me wrong, I do like Mike's for some things, I just don't get all excited about running over there. JMHO Kendra
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2004, 12:59 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The other thing that I noticed about Michael's is if you get to the store early on Sunday (I live very close and can do this), often times the high ticket items are not out on the shelf, if they are not on sale. I have been looking at the Sizzix and the melting pot. Three weeks in a row - when they were not an advertised item, they were not on the shelfs. One week it was an unadvertised special so you couldn't use your coupon on the melting pot!
I also have a problem getting my Zyron refills with the coupon because most of the time they do not have the size I need. But when there is a sale there are tons of them ! Go figure.
Oh well, I guess it can be the luck of the draw and if I'm meant to have it, it will happen !!

Stef -
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2004, 01:07 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Our Michael's used to give the coupon to you if you asked but not anymore. Now they say you either bring one in or are out of luck. What I don't understand is that they seem to have no interest in competing w/ AC MOORE or JoAnn - beats me. Maybe I don't understand much about business, but it seems to me that you would want to honor your competitor's coupons or at least make then accessible to folks who don't buy the paper. But NO ONE can beat the mono deal at Viking!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2004, 01:25 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

We only have a Mike's in Charlotte, and an AC Moore in a nearby town.

Becoming a demo drastically reduced my need to go to Mike's. I will point out that at AC Moore when their Sizzix dies were all 40% off they let me special order the dies I wanted and get the discount. Woo hoo! It was pricey to get all that I wanted (tag dies) but a gas savings to avoid numerous trips.

We still can get Michaels coupons at the store papers by the way. They also will give you one if you ask at most of the area stores.

Vera
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2004, 02:09 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Micheals

I live 1 hour away from the nearest Micheals. Two years ago they stopped putting coupons in the state newspaper in my area (I got home delivery). I went on line and complained but got no where. At the check out counter they usually will give me a coupon if there is one. I don't go there much because I don't know what is on sale. I think this is a poor business practice myself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2004, 02:37 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

well I actually managed to get myself TWO 50% off coupons to use by today and when I got to the store (Mike's) I couldn't find ANY big ticket items to buy! I was so disappointed with myself! I hate using those coupons on small items because I feel it's such a waste of a coupon. I also have 2 Joann's 40% off coupons. Now that Michael's and Joann's are competing in my area I manage to get myself 2 coupons for each store then I make one trip to each store and use a Joanns and a Mike's coupon at the same time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2004, 03:00 PM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

That must be what they've done here too.. I haven't gotten one in FOREVER. I agree, don't think that was a good move on their part.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2004, 03:03 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Michael's

I'm new and trying to do my first post. This is my 4th try. I finally got smart my last attempt and copied so I don't have to retype it.
Hope the other three aren't floating around in cyberland. I read the "login" issues and decided that was the problem, so here goes again. If it doesn't work this time it will just have to remain my secret.

Did you know that JoAnn's accepts Michael's coupons? You can use the one from the paper, the one from the mail, one from the E Mail and Michael's all in one trip. You can use it off the reg price of a sale item if it is cheaper that way. They have a very customer friendly attitude. As a result I am over there way too much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2004, 03:05 PM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Michael's

Hey, it worked! She can be taught.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2004, 03:23 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default stephanie

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefanie
I also have a problem getting my Zyron refills with the coupon because most of the time they do not have the size I need. But when there is a sale there are tons of them ! Go figure.
Oh well, I guess it can be the luck of the draw and if I'm meant to have it, it will happen !!

Stef -
Steph - tell them to give you a raincheck for the exact item less 40% and use your coupon on something else - then pick up the item whenever you want!

I have done this a TON!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2004, 03:47 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

We have a small chain store locally that limits their coupons to items under $50. Wouldn't that be alot easier for Michael's than hiding or barely discounting their big ticket items? If you are losing money, put restrictions on it. Then everyone knows the rules ahead of time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2004, 05:06 PM   #17  
Glitter Guru

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't know that Michael's will accept JoAnn's coupons!!!! YIPEE! I am going to call our Michael's and see if they will do that. (since JoAnn's is only a few blocks away!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2004, 05:38 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beth,
Thanks for the great tip. I'm embarrassed to tell you that I worked retail for 25 years of my life !! :oops: You would think that a raincheck is something I would have thought of. Oh well, that is why I keep coming back here - to learn and in this case, relearn
Thanks again.
Stef -
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2004, 07:47 PM   #19  
CRAZY DAISY

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barb Cole
Our Michael's used to give the coupon to you if you asked but not anymore. Now they say you either bring one in or are out of luck. What I don't understand is that they seem to have no interest in competing w/ AC MOORE or JoAnn - beats me. Maybe I don't understand much about business, but it seems to me that you would want to honor your competitor's coupons or at least make then accessible to folks who don't buy the paper. But NO ONE can beat the mono deal at Viking!!!
Our Mike's here in upstate NY will honor other stores coupons such as AC Moore and Joann's . The thing that bums me out is that our Mike's took out their clearence isle I went there for that very thing and ended up buying other things at the same time. So I don't go as often aas I used too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2004, 08:28 PM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

I took some paining classes at Michaels last year. The instructor told us that if you contact them on the web site and tell the that your local paper does not provide Michaels ads, they will mail you a copy. She said she usually gets hers by Mon or Tue each week. Also, the official policy is to give you the coupon in the store if you ask, but each store manager sets his own policy. A nice but firm letter to a district manager may solve the problem in a given store. I have not tried this, but she also told us the bar code does not change each week, so if you hand them a coupon from a past week, they may honor it if they don't check the date.
Reply With Quote Likes